Toby Collyer England flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
I’d be interested to know whether his involvement with the first team has anything to do with Ashworth pushing him for ETH. I believe Ashworth was still at Brighton when he was in the Brighton academy.
He was on the bench in a few of our PL fixtures last season, so I don't think his promotion to the first team is in any way linked to Ashworth's appointment in the summer.

A lot of patience needed with him but it's not like he's under pressure to break into the first team immediately, like Mainoo or Garnacho managed to do.

He has the tools both physically and with the ball to become a good player for us IMO.

He is more ready than Amass. should be given the Mainoo treatment this season.

This obsession that all midfielders need to be progressive passers is going a little too far. Winning the ball was our biggest issue in midfield last season. I think his ability to cover ground and the channels suits how this team is trying to setup.
This. Casemiro in his heyday mostly broke up opposition attacks and then would pass the ball off to modric and kroos to build up the attack.

As long as Collyer doesn’t lose possession, I’d be happy for him to keep his passing simple

The guy has just made his competitive debut and he’s being criticised left, right and centre. I’m not sure what you were all watching but I saw great promise in him as a ball winner and presser. A few loose passes and a few safe ones (probably instructed) and he’s already being written off.

Same knee jerk reactions in the Sancho thread because he missed a penalty. Some of you are an embarrassment.

Hoping Collyer gets plenty of minutes this season to protect our first team players a bit. We need to rotate more to keep everyone healthy.

With confidence and experience he will hopefully improve when on the ball. But he shows for it which is infinitely better than McTominay.

The guy has just made his competitive debut and he’s being criticised left, right and centre. I’m not sure what you were all watching but I saw great promise in him as a ball winner and presser. A few loose passes and a few safe ones (probably instructed) and he’s already being written off.

Same knee jerk reactions in the Sancho thread because he missed a penalty. Some of you are an embarrassment.

Hoping Collyer gets plenty of minutes this season to protect our first team players a bit. We need to rotate more to keep everyone healthy.
I hope so too, physicality off the ball and simplicity on it is an underrated skill mainly because people expect everyone to be Paul Scholes or Xavi. Depending on the manager, he looks like he likes the young man, and how new signings progress he absolutely has a role to play - win the ball and keep it then the onus is on the likes of Mainoo and Bruno to do the rest.

Very poor on the ball, and is yet to show the capacity to play with the ball in mens football. He certainly has the off ball attributes/potential - however, he hasn’t really shown that he can deal with the speed/pressure yet of senior football.

I appreciate with our young players the only acceptable observations are typically ‘brilliant’ or ‘still young’, but I hope to see the very important footballing qualities for the role he plays soon. While he is young, so is/was Mainoo, Wharton, Archie Gray and others. It isn’t mandatory to be poor on the ball because you are young.

Would be just my luck personally after begging for years to see the back of Scott to see him finally shipped out only to have the clock reset and be again haunted by the Ghost of Scott McTominay. I think a loan this season would be good for Collyer where he can play regularly and get used to the speed of the game and develop his confidence on the ball. Then we can see if he can make that last step.
Yet to show hehas the capacicity for mens football?.....What, the feck....it washis debut haha honestly what an awful post.

You are judging other top young players....one of which hasnt even played against premiership opposition competitively yet.....over games played over a period of months, they are all top top youngplayers....but this guy has played half an hour in pretty much another pre-season game.

He may or may not be good enough,but he is a squad option in a squad that had a bang average at best Amrabat we cculd stil lpay £15m for, a total fall from grace embarrassment last season in Casiniro.

I thought he played a couple of very shoddy passes, he also made a few really good one touch passes that showed awareness of those around him....but its one game, judge him ina year or two if he even gets the opportunities.

In terms of squad options personally think replacing the likes of Eriksen and McTominay and even Casemiro if his form remains poor with the likes of Collyer andpotentially Gore is a good thing.

Really liked his performance. Looked comfortable on the ball and moves well. Should be surely staying and getting more games.

So if he’s in the squad, and we include Mount and Fernandes as AM’s rather than CM’s, who does that make as our CM options?

This obsession that all midfielders need to be progressive passers is going a little too far. Winning the ball was our biggest issue in midfield last season. I think his ability to cover ground and the channels suits how this team is trying to setup.
Fernandinho and Kante did OK without being renowned for progressive passing.

Looks ready. Best part is that he makes himself available. does not shy away from receiving the ball. Passing needs a bit of .refinement but that will gradually improve with more minutes on the pitch.

Should be gradually integrated in the squad. Ready made successor to McTominay, I guess.

I don't think physicality is the problem, it is his on the ball ability. If he wants to have a future here, he needs to do more. Even when he has plenty of time and space he still just passes it back instead of playing a forward ball.

This was his first start, against a top side so it was understandable if he was a bit nervous, hopefully he improves as he gets more time.

Good performance as this is the first time I've seen him play as i didn't watch pre season.
I think he's ready physically and tactically to be a squad option and hopefully with time and experience he could improve on the ball more because he is already good at one touch passes and give go

Reactions: Cheimoon
Fernandinho and Kante did OK without being renowned for progressive passing.

Fernandinho used to play as an AM at times for his previous club. First season I saw him in the europa league he did one of those scoop passes over the defence for his forward to run onto. He played progressive passes, they just didnt stand out so much because all his teammates were playing creative passes as well

He was very good out of possession as shown with the goal which came from him winning it back and outside of one very sloppy pass towards the end I don’t remember him giving the ball away. Truly bizarre how anyone has watched that performance and concluded he won’t make it or isn’t ready for EPL football.

Fernandinho used to play as an AM at times for his previous club. First season I saw him in the europa league he did one of those scoop passes over the defence for his forward to run onto. He played progressive passes, they just didnt stand out so much because all his teammates were playing creative passes as well
For City he was brilliant but progressive isn’t perhaps the word to best describe him there?

Good performance as this is the first time I've seen him play as i didn't watch pre season.
I think he's ready physically and tactically to be a squad option and hopefully with time and experience he could improve on the ball more because he is already good at one touch passes and give go
My take exactly.
He’s busy and disruptive out of possession but pretty tidy on it.
Should be getting some of Casemiro’s minutes this season.

My take exactly.
He’s busy and disruptive out of possession but pretty tidy on it.
Should be getting some of Casemiro’s minutes this season.
Yeah, I think if given time and patience he could develop to a very good DM, because you could see even from the snippets of pre season highlights he's constantly showing for the ball and his touch is assured, so I don't agree that he has a bad/loose touch

I feel like I must be Collyer hater no.1 (I don't want to be, I love it when our youth prospects come through) but the first responsibility of a midfielder is to be able to look up and see a pass through the lines if it's on, to secure your position on the pitch by moving the ball forward - and his default pass is backwards.

If he can develop his forward passing, he has all the physical attributes to be a good 6, and seems more tactically aware than your average 20 year old. But progressive passing at this level is not something you find overnight, it seems much more innate than that - you have it (at least to an extent) or you don't. I fear he doesn't.

The passing thing might not just be an ability thing. It’s common for young players when they’re first coming into the first team to play it overly safe, especially in MF - prioritizing retention over riskier passes that might give the ball away. I felt like Mainoo was doing a similar thing with his first few performances in the England team. We may well see more from him on that front if he keeps getting minutes.

Really liked his confidence. We've got to remember this kid just made his debut against the English, Champions at Wembley. It isn't like he's playing an Eastern European side in the Europa.

I like his size, he doesn't look like a small kid coming into the side. Looking forward to seeing him get minutes this season.

Looked tidy and can do some basic passes.

Sometimes though you expect next to nothing from a youngster, so are easily satisfied.

Can he step up like Mainoo did is the question, although that is a high level to ask for now.

Yeah, I think if given time and patience he could develop to a very good DM, because you could see even from the snippets of pre season highlights he's constantly showing for the ball and his touch is assured, so I don't agree that he has a bad/loose touch
I didn’t watch any of the pre season and I don’t watch any u21 or u23 games so this was the first time I saw him play.
Physically he is ready and I’d say technically pretty competent. Not a world beater passing wise but that may develop.
Have high hopes for him (based on this one game!!)

Some comments here are really harsh, not sure if they are expecting prime Roy Keane on this boys debut,

Please get some perspective and appreciate that he played his minutes with confidence.

He can be like Mainoo or Scott, only time can tell but I liked him today, this lad got something about him.

Some good moments defensively, like on the turnover that led to the goal. Couple poor touches, maybe nerves.

Well, plugging the massive holes in our midfield would be the first job, but he looks quietly confident in that position, and I would think that he would be replacing Casemiro during some of our games this season.
Basically, he plays the simple pass, as Mainoo did when he first came into the team, and the passing through the lines, and carrying the ball forward will come with more experience.

Yet to show hehas the capacicity for mens football?.....What, the feck....it washis debut haha honestly what an awful post.

You are judging other top young players....one of which hasnt even played against premiership opposition competitively yet.....over games played over a period of months, they are all top top youngplayers....but this guy has played half an hour in pretty much another pre-season game.

He may or may not be good enough,but he is a squad option in a squad that had a bang average at best Amrabat we cculd stil lpay £15m for, a total fall from grace embarrassment last season in Casiniro.

I thought he played a couple of very shoddy passes, he also made a few really good one touch passes that showed awareness of those around him....but its one game, judge him ina year or two if he even gets the opportunities.

In terms of squad options personally think replacing the likes of Eriksen and McTominay and even Casemiro if his form remains poor with the likes of Collyer andpotentially Gore is a good thing.

Cool.

I feel I watched enough of Collyer to determine that he'll be an effective option off the bench and for the squad. Physically he looks ready to me. He has the basics to be a decent midfielder as opposed to say McTominay who treats the ball as a hot potato in midield, granted he is a completely different profile of player. I think we should accept he will have a different pathway when compared to Mainoo who shone immediately. In the pre-season games he showed an ability to break up play and also be comfortable on the ball. He also showed he can eat up a bit of ground in midfield which may be useful in certain games. Though he definitely has to show more in relation to aggressive passing rather than keeping it simple. He's not ready to be a starter and may never be if he does not show progression. I'd be happy to sell both McTominay and Caseimero and buy one starting CDM and keep Collyer as a squad option. Progress in players is not always linear I hope he gets his chances and further hope he takes them.

Can't remember who said it (think it was on the athletic) but that his performances on tour reminded them of a young Declan Rice before he got a bit more comfortable on the ball which I can see. I think with Collyer it all comes down to whether he can develop his technical side. For me his ball control at the moment is a bit of a weak point from what I've seen on tour. If he can improve that and get a better more expansive passing range, even if its not too extravagant, then he might become an interesting player especially with his physicality. If EtH thinks he's got something about him then I'll trust the manager.

He just needs to be dependable in midfield coming on when United are winning. That's how he will get minutes and experience.

If you think McTom tends to be the first midfielder (even though he plays at as second forward) coming on winning or losing. For the coming season I'd sub on Zirkzee if United are behind and Collyer if United are in front.

Last edited:
Can see him getting game time.. he did very well pre season.. and with some players made of glass getting injured he has a chance

Yeah Fernandinho was very skilled techincally for a DM, and Kante himself is an excellent carrier of the ball and quite press resistant. It's not like either was just a water carrier tackling merchant

Where would he fit in, in the current team? I saw some of him preseason, but I do not know enough about his game. Can he back up Casemiro, or more spell Mainoo (I really hope we do not run Mainoo into thr ground this season)? Thanks for any thoughts/opinions, I can't figure out what type of player he is from what little I have seen.

Where would he fit in, in the current team? I saw some of him preseason, but I do not know enough about his game. Can he back up Casemiro, or more spell Mainoo (I really hope we do not run Mainoo into thr ground this season)? Thanks for any thoughts/opinions, I can't figure out what type of player he is from what little I have seen.
Europa and League cup games, as the immediate replacement for Casemiro