The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.
:lol: The ad at the bottom of the page right now is...

Voter Opinion Poll
Should Hillary still be indicted?
Vote Now!
(Sound Money Defense League)

I get a lot of 2nd amendment stuff, some things about Trump and the MSM, and Hillary indicted too.

If the GOP holds the house, it is difficult to see an impeachment. Would they go against their own base?
It would completely split the party.

EDIT:

If he runs a second time, he can only win if the Dems run another corporate stooge.
They need a populist to have a chance of winning.

Not really. They just need someone personable and popular. Obama filled that criteria. Biden would've probably worked. Even Hilary losing was a bit of a freak accident.

I'm all for them going for someone a bit more left in the vein of Sanders but I don't think it's a necessity. Trump's current numbers are really, really shit for a President in his honeymoon period, so someone mildly personable who manages to get under his skin, connect with voters and nail him on key policy issues and his potential failures should do the trick.

Not really. They just need someone personable and popular. Obama filled that criteria. Biden would've probably worked. Even Hilary losing was a bit of a freak accident.

I'm all for them going for someone a bit more left in the vein of Sanders but I don't think it's a necessity. Trump's current numbers are really, really shit for a President in his honeymoon period, so someone mildly personable who manages to get under his skin, connect with voters and nail him on key policy issues and his potential failures should do the trick.

Obama ran as a populist though that was not how he governed.
I agree Trump's win was a freak incident. Whoever runs must carry the mid west.
For Democrats, the voters have moved significantly left. The nominee has to embrace what they want.

Yeah though parts of it could be plausible.

But on some parts he's way off the mark.

Trump and Manafort have known each other for decades (According to Bloomberg) and Manafort has lived in the same building as Trump for a decade.

Trump will have known a long long time ago that Manafort was a shady character, so if Trump was innocent in all this Russia stuff, he would not have agreed to have Manafort as his campaign manager.

IIRC, Manafort has written a book (bio? Don't know.) in which he writes about it. IIRC, he lists many / all the positions and collaboration he has had with 45 over the years. That's another reason why Spicey's attempts to portray the relationship between 45 and Manafort as somewhat distant is laughable.

If collaboration or collusion with Russia happened, it can be taken for granted that Twitler knew and approved of it. I can envision him giving the blessing but saying 'What I don't know ...', so he knew and approved of but didn't want to get directly involved.

If he was not aware as Cuban suggests, at the very, very latest it would have been a MUST to vet everyone after he fired Manafort - but he didn't.

Last edited:
This makes perfect sense

Apart from the ridiculous adoption of the moronic multi tweet bullshit people are piling in with.

Hundred odd characters. Make them count.

If you want to write an article, write an article.

Someone as successful and rich as Mark Cuban doesn't need to click bait his twitter feed.

Going after his media mouthpieces beforehand (there is another story this week about brietbart and alex jones being investigated) can lessen the risks involved when its time to start charging people in the white house by diluting the message beforehand.

It might actually be more dangerous. Infowars in particular are a group of conspiracy nuts who flood their viewers/readers with a constant stream of crap about evil government and intelligence agency plots. How do you think those crazies are going to react to an investigation of their heroes?

@sglowrider
Do you think Trump entered the primaries just to derail Jeb Bush? He sure seemed to have an axe to grind with them and the GOP establishment as a whole.

EDIT:
I agree he did not expect or really want to be president. Even if he survives an impeachment I think he has no desire to run for a second term.

It was all a marketing ploy. Its hard work and at 70, I dont he is willing to put the effort in to learn.

He also has an axe to grind with the establishment since he built Trump Towers. He dad was a big shot but in Queens and he thought by going big in Manhattan with Trump Towers, he would be accepted by the polite society of Manhattan. But they just saw him as nouveau riche and brash. the more he tried by making big splashes in investments, the more they saw him as an upstart and the more he came to hate them. Bush is the sort -- old blue blood families which doesnt judge people just because of how much $$ they have. He have never gotten that. So Bannon's idea of blowing then establishment appeals to him.

It might actually be more dangerous. Infowars in particular are a group of conspiracy nuts who flood their viewers/readers with a constant stream of crap about evil government and intelligence agency plots. How do you think those crazies are going to react to an investigation of their heroes?

Not really anything you can do about that. I think it's definitely better to expose them for the lying mentalists they are before hand and make it entirely transparent just where their funding comes from and the agendas behind their conspiracy pushing.

At least that way when they bring the house of cards down they have already been fully exposed as part of the plot that has been brought down so their reporting on it (if they are even in a position to still do that) is viewed with the bias it should be.

Remembering that a lot of their followers just love conspiracies, I think a lot of them would latch onto and run with the ultimate conspiracy - that the main "truthers" have been exposed as agents of a foreign government. It's exactly the plot they have been trying to convince people of for years.

Not really anything you can do about that. I think it's definitely better to expose them for the lying mentalists they are before hand and make it entirely transparent just where their funding comes from and the agendas behind their conspiracy pushing.

At least that way when they bring the house of cards down they have already been fully exposed as part of the plot that has been brought down so their reporting on it (if they are even in a position to still do that) is viewed with the bias it should be.

Remembering that a lot of their followers just love conspiracies, I think a lot of them would latch onto and run with the ultimate conspiracy - that the main "truthers" have been exposed as agents of a foreign government. It's exactly the plot they have been trying to convince people of for years.

Hopefully. It'd certainly be a nice way to complete the circle of crazy and get things back on a more stable footing. I think it's pretty unavoidable though that some of this mess is going to get (more) violent at some point. The right wing militia groups have been growing in power for years, and Trump has supposedly been trying to turn investigation assets away from them.

@sglowrider
Do you think Trump entered the primaries just to derail Jeb Bush? He sure seemed to have an axe to grind with them and the GOP establishment as a whole.

EDIT:
I agree he did not expect or really want to be president. Even if he survives an impeachment I think he has no desire to run for a second term.

Nah I think he really wanted to and has for years. He talked about it on Opera going back 25 years. It's the ultimate status symbol and massages his narcist ego more than anything else. He just could never be bothered to go the traditional route of actually working through the political spectrum, which is exactly why he's taken this route and taken so long about it.

These aren't new political positions either, ie protectionism, he's been harping on about them for years. Racially villifying people isn't a new thing either, he put an advert in the NY Times in the 80s villifying a group of black men who were proven to have not raped/murdered a white woman.

True but the majority are only interested in that kind of genuine conspiracy if the culprits are those outside their political preferences. Besides (ironically, in the context of conspiracy theorism) I suspect that Jones and co are 'controlled opposition' with a sideline in selling stuff to those they seduce with conspiracy rhetoric.

Nah I think he really wanted to and has for years. He talked about it on Opera going back 25 years. It's the ultimate status symbol and massages his narcist ego more than anything else. He just could never be bothered to go the traditional route of actually working through the political spectrum, which is exactly why he's taken this route and taken so long about it.

These aren't new political positions either, ie protectionism, he's been harping on about them for years. Racially villifying people isn't a new thing either, he put an advert in the NY Times in the 80s villifying a group of black men who were proven to have not raped/murdered a white woman.

This is why I'm baffled when people claim Trump was a liberal Democrat for years. No, he just donated to whichever power party controlled an area he had/he coveted business interests within. He told Larry King in 1999 that he was a registered Republican and was fairly conservative overall but "somewhat liberal on social issues, healthcare, etc." Astonishingly, despite claiming both parties were too far left/right in 1999, he ran to the extreme right some 17 years later. He also gushed over Giuliani throughout the interview and trashed Buchanan (over his Hitler infatuation).

http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stories/1999/10/08/trump.transcript/

TRUMP: I'm a registered Republican. I'm a pretty conservative guy. I'm somewhat liberal on social issues, especially health care, et cetera, but I'd be leaving another party, and I've been close to that party.

KING: Why would you leave the Republican Party?

TRUMP: I think that nobody is really hitting it right. The Democrats are too far left. I mean, Bill Bradley, this is seriously left; he's trying to come a little more center, but he's seriously left. The Republicans are too far right. And I don't think anybody's hitting the cord, not the cord that I want hear, and not the cord that other people want to hear, and I've seen it.

Plus, I think there's a great lack of spirit in this country. You know, what happened over the last four years is disgusting, and I just think there's a tremendous lack of spirit, and I think the spirit has to be brought back.

----
KING: You've been an activist Republican, haven't you? I mean, you support candidates...

TRUMP: I've actually been an activist Democrat and Republican. I support almost equally -- I really support people. I support people like Senator Torricelli, who's fantastic, from New Jersey. And I support, on the other hand, Rudy Giuliani, who's been the best mayor in the history of the city of New York; or George Pataki, who's been just a terrific governor and a great guy. You know, they -- I just support people...

KING: So it's the person?

TRUMP: I really go for the people rather than the party.
----
KING: Patients' Bill of Rights: You mentioned health care as one of the social issues; you for it?

TRUMP: I think you have to have it, and, again, I said I'm conservative, generally speaking, I'm conservative, and even very conservative. But I'm quite liberal and getting much more liberal on health care and other things. I really say: What's the purpose of a country if you're not going to have defensive and health care?

If you can't take care of your sick in the country, forget it, it's all over. I mean, it's no good. So I'm very liberal when it comes to health care. I believe in universal health care. I believe in whatever it takes to make people well and better.

----
KING: But you can't, as president, run -- I mean, you can't be a liberal then?

TRUMP: No, no. What you can do is you can negotiate fair trade agreements. So that instead of billions and billions of dollars going out, you can reduce your taxes by having it come back in. You know, I know the best negotiators. I would put the right people in charge of negotiation. We've been ripped as a country by virtually every country we do business with.

Tbh that seems like someone saying "Never mind the criminals - arrest the police!"

Talking of InfoWars and Brietbart, it's pretty obvious that his current narrative is being constructed by them.

The shock value of Trump's tweets are quickly wearing off and they are increasingly being viewed as a way for him to change the topic, which of course won't work.

The shock value of Trump's tweets are quickly wearing off and they are increasingly being viewed as a way for him to change the topic, which of course won't work.

I think his core supporters are going to start dwindling through boredom as much as anything. They just won't have the energy or motivation to keep paddling now the crest of the wave has subsided and they're back to their normal lives and he's proven all talk and no action.

This is why I'm baffled when people claim Trump was a liberal Democrat for years. No, he just donated to whichever power party controlled an area he had/he coveted business interests within. He told Larry King in 1999 that he was a registered Republican and was fairly conservative overall but "somewhat liberal on social issues, healthcare, etc." Astonishingly, despite claiming both parties were too far left/right in 1999, he ran to the extreme right some 17 years later. He also gushed over Giuliani throughout the interview and trashed Buchanan (over his Hitler infatuation).

http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stories/1999/10/08/trump.transcript/

TRUMP: I'm a registered Republican. I'm a pretty conservative guy. I'm somewhat liberal on social issues, especially health care, et cetera, but I'd be leaving another party, and I've been close to that party.

KING: Why would you leave the Republican Party?

TRUMP: I think that nobody is really hitting it right. The Democrats are too far left. I mean, Bill Bradley, this is seriously left; he's trying to come a little more center, but he's seriously left. The Republicans are too far right. And I don't think anybody's hitting the cord, not the cord that I want hear, and not the cord that other people want to hear, and I've seen it.

Plus, I think there's a great lack of spirit in this country. You know, what happened over the last four years is disgusting, and I just think there's a tremendous lack of spirit, and I think the spirit has to be brought back.

----
KING: You've been an activist Republican, haven't you? I mean, you support candidates...

TRUMP: I've actually been an activist Democrat and Republican. I support almost equally -- I really support people. I support people like Senator Torricelli, who's fantastic, from New Jersey. And I support, on the other hand, Rudy Giuliani, who's been the best mayor in the history of the city of New York; or George Pataki, who's been just a terrific governor and a great guy. You know, they -- I just support people...

KING: So it's the person?

TRUMP: I really go for the people rather than the party.
----
KING: Patients' Bill of Rights: You mentioned health care as one of the social issues; you for it?

TRUMP: I think you have to have it, and, again, I said I'm conservative, generally speaking, I'm conservative, and even very conservative. But I'm quite liberal and getting much more liberal on health care and other things. I really say: What's the purpose of a country if you're not going to have defensive and health care?

If you can't take care of your sick in the country, forget it, it's all over. I mean, it's no good. So I'm very liberal when it comes to health care. I believe in universal health care. I believe in whatever it takes to make people well and better.

----
KING: But you can't, as president, run -- I mean, you can't be a liberal then?

TRUMP: No, no. What you can do is you can negotiate fair trade agreements. So that instead of billions and billions of dollars going out, you can reduce your taxes by having it come back in. You know, I know the best negotiators. I would put the right people in charge of negotiation. We've been ripped as a country by virtually every country we do business with.

Classic tyrannical behaviour

I think his core supporters are going to start dwindling through boredom as much as anything. They just won't have the energy or motivation to keep paddling now the crest of the wave has subsided and they're back to their normal lives and he's proven all talk and no action.

You're seriously underrating the political polarization in the country. No matter what occurs going forward the Trumpistas will dig deeper into the belief of conspiracies, liberal agenda, etc.

Yeah they're getting kind of boring and tedious.

Now that I can agree with. Still it just illustrates that Trump is probably financially entangled with Russian money.

Now that I can agree with. Still it just illustrates that Trump is probably financially entangled with Russian money.

Cuban is really pushing the "innocent businessman, unfortunately mixed up" narrative isn't he.

Cuban is really pushing the "innocent businessman, unfortunately mixed up" narrative isn't he.

Yeah, its the new angle that more seem to be warming to - that Trump didn't do anything nefarious, but rather that he is just a bumbling capitalist who is financially entangled with Russian banks and oligarchs, which explains why he wont release his taxes and why he has been nice to Putin. Even if that's true, its still a massive conflict of interest as he now represents the US and not his own business interests and he would have to admonish and sanction Putin if Vlad invades any more countries. Massive conflict.

Regardless, what was 'America's number one patriot' doing conducting business with Russia?

Editorial of the LA Times (@langster, you'll like this):

Our Dishonest President

http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-ed-our-dishonest-president/

What is most worrisome about Trump is Trump himself. He is a man so unpredictable, so reckless, so petulant, so full of blind self-regard, so untethered to reality that it is impossible to know where his presidency will lead or how much damage he will do to our nation. His obsession with his own fame, wealth and success, his determination to vanquish enemies real and imagined, his craving for adulation — these traits were, of course, at the very heart of his scorched-earth outsider campaign; indeed, some of them helped get him elected. But in a real presidency in which he wields unimaginable power, they are nothing short of disastrous.

In the days ahead, The Times editorial board will look more closely at the new president, with a special attention to three troubling traits:

1 ...

2 His utter lack of regard for truth. Whether it is the easily disprovable boasts about the size of his inauguration crowd or his unsubstantiated assertion that Barack Obama bugged Trump Tower, the new president regularly muddies the waters of fact and fiction. It’s difficult to know whether he actually can’t distinguish the real from the unreal — or whether he intentionally conflates the two to befuddle voters, deflect criticism and undermine the very idea of objective truth. Whatever the explanation, he is encouraging Americans to reject facts, to disrespect science, documents, nonpartisanship and the mainstream media — and instead to simply take positions on the basis of ideology and preconceived notions. This is a recipe for a divided country in which differences grow deeper and rational compromise becomes impossible.

3 His scary willingness to repeat alt-right conspiracy theories, racist memes and crackpot, out-of-the-mainstream ideas. Again, it is not clear whether he believes them or merely uses them. But to cling to disproven “alternative” facts; to retweet racists; to make unverifiable or false statements about rigged elections and fraudulent voters; to buy into discredited conspiracy theories first floated on fringe websites and in supermarket tabloids — these are all of a piece with the Barack Obama birther claptrap that Trump was peddling years ago and which brought him to political prominence. It is deeply alarming that a president would lend the credibility of his office to ideas that have been rightly rejected by politicians from both major political parties.

This nation survived Andrew Jackson and Richard Nixon. It survived slavery. It survived devastating wars. Most likely, it will survive again.

But if it is to do so, those who oppose the new president’s reckless and heartless agenda must make their voices heard. Protesters must raise their banners. Voters must turn out for elections. Members of Congress — including and especially Republicans — must find the political courage to stand up to Trump. Courts must safeguard the Constitution. State legislators must pass laws to protect their citizens and their policies from federal meddling. All of us who are in the business of holding leaders accountable must redouble our efforts to defend the truth from his cynical assaults.

The United States is not a perfect country, and it has a great distance to go before it fully achieves its goals of liberty and equality. But preserving what works and defending the rules and values on which democracy depends are a shared responsibility. Everybody has a role to play in this drama.

They're not funny anymore. How many times can one laugh at the same thing?

Editorial of the LA Times (@langster, you'll like this):

Our Dishonest President

http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-ed-our-dishonest-president/

You are dead right, I absolutely loved that. Excellent piece, I can't wait to see parts II, III and IV. Also, this comment in the comments section really made my day and made me proper laugh out loud.

Uh oh. Looks like a few people on the editorial board had their illegal help rounded up. Sad!
:lol:

Although this one made me want to punch the screen and made me want to cry :(

The phony man-made global warming theory has been thoroughly debunked and discredited by honest scientists. Thank God we have a president smart enough to recognize the hoax, brave enough to call it out, and wise enough to stop spending billions on this nonsense. In the meantime foolish editorialists will keep spouting hysterical nonsense

I'm starting to doubt the honesty of online comments like those... Bots? Wums? Idiots? Who knows...

I'm starting to doubt the honesty of online comments like those... Bots? Wums? Idiots? Who knows...

I've spent a while reading through and to be honest an awful lot seem really genuine (unfortunately) Although it's just so difficult to know in this day and age which is extremely unfortunate. You have to credit some as true as look at this forum, people do spend time giving their honest opinion, I guess it's the same as in real life, do you give your trust? or do you become a cynic and recluse?

:lol: I'm a notorious cynic... I believe you're right tho, it's just I never have any real conversations with these people. None in my circle, none in my networks it seems.

I knew a guy that momentarily thought climate change was a hoax, and there's another guy that believes? in flat earth, but none of them are/were adamant.

Status
Not open for further replies.