The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your guess for the cost of his treatment. $300-$500k is what she said. She's taken care of patients who had bills running in the millions of dollars.

For perspective... 1 night in the hospital, just staying there, nothing fancy = $7000
Yeah, it really is a disgrace. This is why we are going after the wrong thing. However you tweak insurance it can't handle the actual costs. Even though we are end users we are not customers so we don'tcare how much it costs.

This townhall is now talking healthcare. Scary stats on prescription drug abuse. A town of 400 had 4,194,000 opioid pills prescribed last year :wenger:

C60tR8YXUAADUWp.jpg

The picture was apparently taken by another microwave inside Trump tower.
:lol:

A slightly outdated (2012) attempt:

20121020_inc285_0.png

On a side note... am I the only maniac that who would be tempted by the idea of going without insurance?

The reason I live in Hong Kong. :D

Your guess for the cost of his treatment. $300-$500k is what she said. She's taken care of patients who had bills running in the millions of dollars.

For perspective... 1 night in the hospital, just staying there, nothing fancy = $7000
Band aids at $7/each says it all. Who would have thought it was so complicated?
BYOB - bring your own bandaid to save on healthcare costs?

Having lived both systems I don't see the system here in the US ever working. I'm a proponent of universal excellent care with the ability to buy additional.

Edit: IMHO universal care requires almost the entire system to be non profit. Certainly hospitals and other care.

Having lived both systems I don't see the system here in the US ever working. I'm a proponent of universal excellent care with the ability to buy additional.

I think the US is quickly approaching single payer healthcare within the next decade. You can't give people a whiff of it as they've gotten with Obamacare, without them wanting the entire thing. Once the public accept healthcare as a right, not a privilege, you can't ever take it away.

I think the US is quickly approaching single payer healthcare within the next decade. You can't give people a whiff of it as they've gotten with Obamacare, without them wanting the entire thing. Once the public accept healthcare as a right, not a privilege, you can't ever take it away.
Have you not heard the Republicans recently?

I'd wager 300k or more and thank heavens for the NHS.

According to the wife, @senorgregster is about spot on.

Langster's treatment would have run into 7 figures including the ongoing treatment.

Feck, that's just pure insanity. I feel slightly sick at the thought of it to be honest, but at the same time feel tremendously lucky, in more ways than one, but it just gets more and more surreal all the time.

Feck, that's just pure insanity. I feel slightly sick at the thought of it to be honest, but at the same time feel tremendously lucky, in more ways than one, but it just gets more and more surreal all the time.

It is why I'm happy to pay my taxes. What happened to you could have happened to me or my family.

It is why I'm happy to pay my taxes. What happened to you could have happened to me or my family.

Yeah, that's what I have said countless times, and if it hadn't happened to me i'd still be happy paying knowing that it was helping others who needed it. Watching Paul Ryan gloating about destroying Obamacare just made me so angry and feel sick. He's effectively consigning people to death. Personally I think he should have to be the one to tell these people that their treatment is being denied, actually have to sit there and look people in the eye and say it. Mind you, I have a feeling he would enjoy it. He's pure evil, and has a black heart.

I bet the people most affected by AHCA queue up and vote for Trump in 2020 because they now have 'freedom' to choose what they want.
I'm reminded of a hard working West Virginia woman I met about 10 years ago. She hated the thought of socialized medicine because people would take advantage of the system. I'm 100% sure she is dead now. Likely around 50 when I met her and in ill health. Self employed, falling apart and probably not seen a doctor for years.

Bernie knocked it out of the park tonight. Had a lot of Drumpf supporters agreeing with him about healthcare on a day when the CBO trashed the GOP proposal.

This group voted 70% Trump. Something doesn't add up.

WV is politically weird. Bernie won the primary 55-35 with all the rest (within the Democrat primary) going to Trump. More broadly, the Dem decline has been very recent and very very drastic.

The Democratic Party controlled both houses of the West Virginia legislature for eighty-two years from 1932 to 2014. But in the space of two years the party has become a shadow of its former self: the Democrats went from holding 71 percent of the seats in the House of Delegates in 2008 to 54 percent in 2012 to 36 percent in 2014 (and maintained 37 percent in 2016). Democratic representation in the state senate fell from 71 percent in 2012 to 47 percent in 2014 to 35 percent in 2016.
https://www.jacobinmag.com/2017/03/losing-west-virginia/

I got shit in the Election thread (can't remember who from) for saying Bernie was the most inspirational politician I have ever seen or heard in my life. I stand by that, it's so difficult to disagree with him and he explains things so perfectly. He's not the most eloquent of speakers, but he does connect amazingly well with his audience. He gets to the point and he makes people feel as if they matter. Elizabeth Warren is another politician I admire greatly, and I think with Bernie and Liz the Dems should be able to get their message across well. They both seem so genuine and as if they sincerely do care and want to make a difference, much different than smug twats like Paul Ryan or greedy feckers like Trump.

The irony of Trump labeling others as rude...

He really means 'be submissive and unquestioning.'

The irony of Trump labeling others as rude...

He really means 'be submissive and unquestioning.'

Exactly, he's so transparent, yet such a massive hypocrite. Everything he accuses others of, he is usually guilty of himself, classic projection each time he tweets.

Also...... This one is particularly disturbing.

Bullshite! They are not "his" representatives, nor have they ever been any president's. They are OUR representatives dammit

I actually got confused by the wording and thought he meant Spicer or Conway. If he's talking about Congress...whatever happened to the straight-talking outsider draining the swamp?

I actually got confused by the wording and thought he meant Spicer or Conway.

I got confused too, but I definitely think that is who he means. I can't see him mentioning Congress, he hasn't before as far as i'm aware, and i'm sure he wouldn't refer to them as his. You never know though, and it's definitely confusing what he means.

Had a lot of Drumpf supporters agreeing with him about healthcare on a day when the CBO trashed the GOP proposal.

I just saw a great quote simply saying "This is not a healthcare bill, it's really just a tax cut" Which I think almost sums it up, because although it is a massive tax cut for the rich, worse still it's actually taking straight from the poor and giving it to the rich. It's one of the most disgusting pieces of legislation I think I have ever seen. They are bragging about how small it is compared to Obamacare yet dedicate 6 whole pages to removing benefits from someone who wins the lottery. It's a fecking joke, it really does show the Republicans up for what they are. I sincerely hope Paul Ryan gets crucified over this, he's really shown his true colours.

EDIT! Wow, perfect timing for my last sentence because of what @Tarrou just posted.

They are throwing Ryan completely under the bus over this tax cut for the rich, I mean healthcare plan.

I wonder how long they have been sitting on this? Just waiting to use it at the right moment. I bet they have something on every single person In Trumps cabinet and if they cross him or do something to embarrass him then out it comes. Feck me. This lot are evil, they even eat their own young.

As such, as Breitbart News has previously reported, there are now rumblings among House Republicans that they may want a replacement not just of Obamacare but a replacement of Paul Ryan as Speaker. A new Speaker, some argue, would make life much easier for President Trump as he moves forward with his agenda. So the argument goes, as some House GOP members have told Breitbart News, is that if healthcare is this rocky then tax reform, immigration, trade policy and other key Trump agenda items will be worse.

Feck me :lol: Hung, drawn and quartered!

Last edited:
After what happened to me last year I personally wouldn't risk it. I was a perfectly fit 41 year old man, went to the gym 5 times a week and was fit and active and had NEVER been in hospital. Suddenly out of nowhere I had a brain haemorrhage. Luckily the NHS saved my life and put about £15,000 worth of platinum coils in my brain. Feck knows what the cost of the operation on top of that would have been, or the week in hospital or the years supply of drugs I have been on since and the 3 CT scans and 2 MRI scans, blood tests and 2 meetings with my brain surgeon.

You never know what will happen and when. Honestly, I was swimming with my kid one minute, the next I was drowning and he was pulling me out the pool. Luckily we have a NHS, and I will be forever thankful for it. I have paid towards it all my life, and even if I hadn't been ill, I would still be happy paying for it knowing I might one day need it, or even if I never did I would be paying towards helping others less fortunate, the fact some people begrudge this really pisses me off.

Sorry to go on about my illness, but it's so valid, and I know i'm not the only one here to have had life saving treatment and operations. I have spoken to three others here who all PM'd me after my op to share recovery stories and help me feel better knowing what a life changing event sudden and severe illness can be, especially when unexpected. As with the NHS I will also be forever thankful to many people on this forum, they know who they are, but it's still nice to say thanks. I'm rambling now, but the point still stands, you just never know, and I know if I didn't have an NHS I would be dead as there's no way I would have been able to afford the medical bills for my illness and operation.

A mate of mine went to the states two years ago and stepped on some kind of nasty sea creature (a sting ray or something) and got stung under his foot. Took a taxi to the hospital, removed the stinger and closed the wound with a couple of stitches. In and out in a couple of hours, not a big deal

There was some problem with his insurance though (he had travel insurance, but the hospital did not want it or some shite) and the hospital bill was something like 20,000$. His insurance covered it in the end though, but that's an obscene amount of money for something like that.

And as someone else said, for us Europeans it's unfathomable how the Americans view healthcare as a privilege and not a right. Owning a gun on the other hand is a right :rolleyes:

The ironic thing is though, the US spends A LOT on healthcare in general, so it's not just an unfair system, it's also woefully ineffective.

OECD_health_expenditure_per_capita_by_country.svg

Status
Not open for further replies.