The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.
RAF Fighter jets have just flown to intercept Russian Bombers that are circling the UK. Trump's bestie testing the waters yet again. I wonder what Trump$ki will have to say about it, if anything at all?

RAF Fighter jets have just flown to intercept Russian Bombers that are circling the UK. Trump's bestie testing the waters yet again. I wonder what Trump$ki will have to say about it, if anything at all?
Isn't this a common occurrence ? It was also common during the entirety of the Cold War, if I am not mistaken.

Isn't this a common occurrence ? It was also common during the entirety of the Cold War, if I am not mistaken.

Yeah, it certainly has been recently. It definitely seems to be happening more frequently now. It was fighter jets not so long ago, and intelligence drones before that, and also warships and submarines just before Christmas.

better than Warren?
Out of interest, who are the top 4 or 5 candidates right now?

He's not a candidate for the Presidency - he's a candidate to head the Democratic National Committee, the organization that sets the agenda for the Democratic party.

NY magazine is of the opinion that she broke the law:

Kellyanne Conway used an interview from the White House this morning to officially endorse the Ivanka Trump product line. This appears to be completely illegal. Federal law is pretty clear about this: ...
Kellyanne Conway
is a federal employee. A federal employee may not “use his public office for his own private gain [or] for the endorsement of any product, service or enterprise.” And this was definitely an endorsement. Conway said, “This is just wonderful line. I own some of it. I fully — I’m going to give a free commercial here. Go buy it today, everybody. You can find it online.”

The author refers to the WP then in whose power it is to enforce the law:

“Enforcement measures are largely left to the head of the federal agency — in Conway’s case, the White House,” reports the Post, “One lawyer said a typical executive-branch employee who violated the rule could face significant disciplinary action, including a multi-day suspension and loss of pay.”
http://linkis.com/nymag.com/daily/inte/RjKBn

So basically its up to tRump if she is censored in any way. So basically nothing will happen or more likely, he'll give her a pay rise.

He's not a candidate for the Presidency - he's a candidate to head the Democratic National Committee, the organization that sets the agenda for the Democratic party.
who are the best options for that role right now?

Yeah, he's also picked up support from O'Malley. We are seeing three distinct factions emerge in all of this. Ellison and the Bernie crowd (populist/progressive), Perez and the Obama wing (liberal establishment), and Buttigieg and O'Malley, who imo strike the appropriate balance between the rabidly populist Bernie wing and the old Obama coalition, who are at this point probably viewed as a bit too establishment. If you remember O'Malley's attacks on Trump during the primaries, he was spot on at a time when Hillary and Bernie were too busy attacking each other. Buttigieg strikes me as the sort of character who can appeal to small town America - blue collar whites and the people who crossed from Obama to Trump; where Ellison and Perez would struggle.
interesting. Thanks

There's only one candidate for the DNC head and it's Keith Ellison.

Under him, and with the support of people like Warren, Sanders, Canova, etc., I can see the Democrats taking back Congress and winning in 2020. Going the Perez route would surely be repeating the mistakes of 2016 all over again, and would be giving up the biggest momentum the party has had since the nation universally hated Bush.

It's a pivotal moment for the future of the party, and I (and many others) would he severely disillusioned if they voted for a continuation of the Clinton-ist, New Democrat, faux right-wing agenda of the last 20 years.

Under him, and with the support of people like Warren, Sanders, Canova, etc., I can see the Democrats taking back Congress and winning in 2020. Going the Perez route would surely be repeating the mistakes of 2016 all over again, and would be giving up the biggest momentum the party has had since the nation universally hated Bush.

It's a pivotal moment for the future of the party, and I (and many others) would he severely disillusioned if they voted for a continuation of the Clinton-ist, New Democrat, faux right-wing agenda of the last 20 years.
He won't get it. Forget the media, I've seen Democrats say...but, he's a moose lamb.

Pretty accurate summary and conclusion. It's mindboggling that the Republicans don't care at all about it.

Heard this before, got any info on him for those of us that have no real idea who he is and what he's about?

Yeah, he's also picked up support from O'Malley. We are seeing three distinct factions emerge in all of this. Ellison and the Bernie crowd (populist/progressive), Perez and the Obama wing (liberal establishment), and Buttigieg and O'Malley, who imo strike the appropriate balance between the rabidly populist Bernie wing and the old Obama coalition, who are at this point probably viewed as a bit too establishment. If you remember O'Malley's attacks on Trump during the primaries, he was spot on at a time when Hillary and Bernie were too busy attacking each other. Buttigieg strikes me as the sort of character who can appeal to small town America - blue collar whites and the people who crossed from Obama to Trump; where Ellison and Perez would struggle.
All three look like they would do a perfectly good job to be honest, but you know what's going to happen if it isn't Ellison.

Or just check the Election thread, it was covered in there at least twice that I can remember, possibly more. There must be pages of conversation about it in there.

Good call, reading a 5 million page long thread including posts from Americano would definitely be more educational and speedy than using google or Wiki.

All three look like they would do a perfectly good job to be honest, but you know what's going to happen if it isn't Ellison.

Anyone who fails to reach out to non-urban, non-coastal areas should probably be disqualified imo, and Ellison just doesn't have that background.

So basically its up to tRump if she is censored in any way. So basically nothing will happen or more likely, he'll give her a pay rise.
You're reading my thoughts. Alternatively, she might replace Spicer.

So who is supposed to act on this? The AG, or any federal attorney?
I'm not sure and wouldn't even know if either can act without being tasked with it. I see nobody in the WH who has any morale or ethics to act on her violation of the law.

I'd put quite some money on him saying that the US and/or the UK are no strangers to testing other nations' waters.

Good call, reading a 5 million page long thread including posts from Americano would definitely be more educational and speedy than using google or Wiki.

The search function is a handy tool, a simple search with key words is very easy. And the reason I said to check there was because there was some amazing sources posted other than wiki and some excellent posts from people like @Carolina Red who is a history teacher. But it's ok, I know better than offering advice next time.

Last edited:
That's because his politics align with Bernie's. I'm not convincied appointing him would help with areas the Dems are hurting in at the moment - namely blue collar whites and voters who don't live in massive cities.

But Sanders was successful with those people.

The search function is a handy tool, a simple search with key words is very easy. And the reason I said to check there was because there was some amazing sources posted other than wiki and some excellent posts from people like @CarolinaRed who is a history teacher. But it's ok, I know better than offering advice next time.

Relax, I was clearly teasing. Apart from the bit about Americano. ;)

The post is about having a vision of course and setting course, but it's also about organizational skills and seeing the big picture. Ellison sees that - he has a very small chance of actually winning the post.

But....

People speak about the rural vote - this is what Ellison is proposing -

Keith Ellison Unveils DNC Rural Engagement Plan

Washington, DC – Today, Keith Ellison unveiled his DNC rural engagement plan, which aims to make rural voters a priority for the Democratic Party. Democrats lost rural voters by a 28-point margin in 2016.

Keith Ellison’s DNC rural engagement plan includes (view the full plan here):

ENGAGEMENT STRATEGY BASED ON EMPOWERMENT

• Develop a national Rural County Chairs Association to advise the DNC on policy, electoral opportunities and messaging.
  • Launch a nationwide organizing tour in rural counties that were won by Obama and lost by Clinton or won by local Democrats and lost by national Democrats.
  • Organize in 3,143 counties across the country.
RESOURCES FOR SUCCESS

• Invest in programs to engage rural voters and increase Democratic vote share.
  • Provide frequent and accessible trainings on the state and local level to rural counties.
  • Locate full-time staff based across the United States focused on rural voters and outreach.
MESSAGING THROUGH RURAL CHANNELS

• Involve rural Democratic leaders in developing messaging for rural areas.
  • Develop a database of all rural radio stations and newspapers and contact information.
  • Develop, recruit, train and book surrogates for rural radio and TV.
"For far too long, we have ignored rural America and let Republicans run the table. No more,” said Congressman Keith Ellison. “The Democratic Party needs to do a better job of reaching out to rural voters. Donald Trump won them by a whopping 28 points this past election, and I'm committed to making sure that never happens again. My plan will empower rural voters and will focus on getting them to turn out for the Democratic Party. Democratic values - empowering working people, supporting local communities, and standing up to corporate special interests - are rural values. I want every rural voter across America to know that we care about them and that we'll always fight for them."

Heard this before, got any info on him for those of us that have no real idea who he is and what he's about?

This is an extremely in-depth analysis of him. I've picked out some paragraphs that seemed relevant to show what Ellison's about

But Ellison's blueprint for defeating Trumpism is nonetheless rooted in the anti-establishment politics of Sanders. The DNC has become the "Democratic Presidential Committee," he argues; short-sighted focus on big-dollar fundraising and swing states has weakened the party on a county-by-county level. Change starts with shifting the party apparatus toward assembling a multicultural army of organizers, focused on the communities likely to bear the full brunt of the new president's policies. Ellison says the proof that this can work is in his district. Emphasizing door-to-door engagement over TV advertising, Ellison boasts he's juiced turnout in his safe Democratic seat to some of the highest levels in the country. Even as the Upper Midwest goes red, Minnesota Democrats have scored victories at the state level, bolstered by Ellison's Minneapolis machine.

Fashioning himself as a lefty in the mold of progressive icon Paul Wellstone, Ellison adopted the late senator's spruce-green campaign colors and railed against the "Republican lite" leaders of his party. He ran against the Iraq War and pushed for single-payer health care.

Michael Brodkorb, a Republican operative who unearthed some of the most damaging stories about Ellison in 2006, views Ellison's get-out-the-vote machine with awe: "He turned political organizing into what I think most people think political organizing is."

In the run-up to the 2016 election, Ellison recognized the Democratic Party was at a crossroads. With a message that foreshadowed his DNC campaign, he traveled the country imploring Democratic groups to get back to organizing. Toting a voter-turnout manifesto called "Voters First," he barnstormed places where the party was desperate for a jump-start, like Utah and Nebraska. But he also made his pitch to party insiders at the DNC's summer meeting in 2015, just as the Democrats were powering up their 2016 election machinery, led by a network of allied super-PACs. Implicit in his message was a critique rooted in his experience in Minneapolis: Democrats focus too much on fundraisers and not enough on organizers. They provide lip service to the working class while fêting elites. The party's losses in November have reinforced Ellison's belief.

He is pledging to bring voters who have not been active in Democratic Party politics into the fold, just like he's done in Minneapolis. "We've got to give Black Lives Matter a place where they can express themselves electorally," he said in December, while in the same breath urging the party to cast aside tired assumptions about voters in the Midwest: "Can we not say 'Rust Belt' anymore? Look, I'm from Minnesota—I don't feel rusty." Rep. Raúl Grijalva of Arizona, who co-chairs the progressive caucus with Ellison, says his colleague's strength is in rallying diverse factions around a common narrative. "He can talk about his life experience. He can talk about what it's like to represent and be part of a multicultural, multiracial, multi-issue kind of a political activism."

Choosing Ellison to lead the Democratic Party would be a gamble. It would mean going all in on a diagnosis that says the party's shortcomings in recent years are not due to a rejection of liberalism by voters, but because the party has not been liberal enough.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2017/02/keith-ellison-democratic-national-committee-chair

We're talking about Ellison, not Sanders.

My point was that Sanders resonated with rural voters. You (quite right) stated Ellison and Sanders align on many of the same policies. Why would he not be able to energise rural voters, when:

1) he's specifically called it out as one his priorities?
2) he supports the same policies that Sanders did to connect with those voters?
3) his great track record in Minnesota of getting the vote out?

I'm sure each of the candidates have similar plans they are going to unveil.
No doubt - just saying...he too recognizes where the biggest shortfall was. As with Reince Preibus for the Republican Party this is not about him personally engaging with voters - but getting the party machination sorted and headed in the right direction.

It's a moot point anyway - he'll have some support, but he won't be the next DNC Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.