The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Tulip Siddiq feels really strongly about countries not discriminating on religion and nationality, then she should criticise her aunt who is PM of Bangladesh and they ban Israeli passport holders from coming to the country.

But he is, and from the look of it his agenda is being implemented, so why is it a surprise people want him and his puppet (read: president) to fail?

Because his failure may have a direct impact on all of us. If he fails that can mean another recession, do you want your home and 401k equity to disappear, wages to stagnate, being at risk to lose your job..?

Cuz feck science.

Feck it, I prefer the alternative facts that the Republicans and oil companies keep telling us about, you know the one where the oceans and rivers aren't full of plastic and the fish are sustainable at the rate they are being caught, and the temperatures around the globe haven't been going up year after year and where the seas aren't rising either and where the ice caps aren't melting either. It's ok because it's not like we are all going to die if it goes wrong.

Because his failure may have a direct impact on all of us. If he fails that can mean another recession, do you want your home and 401k equity to disappear, wages to stagnate, being at risk to lose your job..?

Presidents have limited influence on economic cycles. And you can even argue that most of what he's trying to do, trade wars, cutting regulations, lowering corporate taxes etc... are a perfect recipe for another recession, which people have every rights to fight against.

There's no guarantee that him achieving his stated agenda will lead to success and prosperity for the common man.

When "success" is what many would define failure (Obamacare repeal, climate change denial, Muslim ban), then is it any surprise people want him to fail?

His failure is our success.

Yes, quote of the year that. You do realize his failure may mean another recession or even worse? And please tell me how do you enjoy obamacare, how are those premiums/deductibles? How does it feel paying a fine for not having insurance?

His success may very well have a direct impact on all of us too. If he succeeds then the most powerful country in the world goes full batshit and the markets react anyway. Lose lose.

Only this lose lose includes fecking up the planet too, rather than just your 401k.

Presidents have limited influence on economic cycles. And you can even argue that most of what he's trying to do, trade wars, cutting regulations, lowering corporate taxes etc... are a perfect recipe for another recession, which people have every rights to fight against.

There's no guarantee that him achieving his stated agenda will lead to success and prosperity for the common man.

You're right, but it's neither a guaranteed failure. And imo, as the elected president he deserves a chance.

Yes, quote of the year that. You do realize his failure may mean another recession or even worse? And please tell me how do you enjoy obamacare, how are those premiums/deductibles? How does it feel paying a fine for not having insurance?

What happens if you don't get car insurance? Is there a penalty?

His success may very well have a direct impact on all of us too. If he succeeds then the most powerful country in the world goes full batshit and the markets react anyway. Lose lose.

Only this lose lose includes fecking up the planet too, rather than just your 401k.

What do you mean by 'full batshit'?

What happens if you don't get car insurance? Is there a penalty?

I might be wrong on that, but I don't think there is a federal requirement for having car insurance. Isn't it left to the states? In my state there is a mandatory insurance which you have to carry. I'm not sure what it is though because I usually buy the most comprehensive one.

I might be wrong on that, but I don't think there is a federal requirement for having car insurance. Isn't it left to the states? In my state there is a mandatory insurance which you have to carry. I'm not sure what it is though because I usually buy the most comprehensive one.

The point is that you think it's fair to be subject to a penalty if you use the roads and don't get insurance.

You're right, but it's neither a guaranteed failure. And imo, as the elected president he deserves a chance.

And he's being given that chance by the ones that matter, Congress. It is held by Republicans and among Democrats there's thus far no rank-and-file blanket opposition on everything he pursues. People however are free to protest against what they perceive to be unjust, cruel and downright regressive from his administration.

Feck it, I prefer the alternative facts that the Republicans and oil companies keep telling us about, you know the one where the oceans and rivers aren't full of plastic and the fish are sustainable at the rate they are being caught, and the temperatures around the globe haven't been going up year after year and where the seas aren't rising either and where the ice caps aren't melting either. It's ok because it's not like we are all going to die if it goes wrong.
Rex Tillersons reaction to fracking at the end of his yard tells you everything you need to know about these cnuts.

Rex Tillersons reaction to fracking at the end of his yard tells you everything you need to know about these cnuts.

Yeah, disgusting and despicable piece of shit. It really was a kick in the bollocks when I read about that, it's ok for the rest of us to suffer, but not him. Typical. Them and us, them and us.

I don’t think that fascism is a particularly useful label outside historical discourse of a certain era. Certain labels (e.g. genocide, terrorism, neoliberal) are used in a way that two people rarely mean the same thing when talking to each other. These labels try to summarize complicated topics, that are difficult to describe with a single word. Even the three traditional fascist states – Italy/Mussolini, Germany/Hitler and Japan/Kodo-ha – are all quite different.
That's a reasonable criticism of the label, of course. But I'm not sure why you want to convince me of that, since I tried to make clear that an actual repeat of the 1920s/30s is out of the question. That last sentence quoted above I have written almost word for word myself. So I'm certainly aware that these labels have to be used with strong reservations. It's also completely okay to discard the term 'fascism' for its explanatory limits, that's just a matter of agreement.

The phenotypical/institutional differences are fairly obvious and if you read my post again, I have written myself that a simple equation of the current authoritarian and xenophobic mobilisation in the US with European fascism from ~90 years ago doesn't work. But my point is that this is no automatic argument against the possibility that certain elements that were part of historical fascism may re-emerge in a different, more contemporary form. No matter what label is attached to the whole thing afterwards.

But reading your answer to @Kentonio's post I'm not sure we'd get far with an open-ended and necessarily speculative discussion on that.

Are we sure he's not travelling back in time to tweet this shit just to rub it in?

I was talking about Trump with a mate from Uni and we ended up joking about how funny it would be if he was shot in the back of the head by a mental (sane) security guard who then claimed to be from the future, sent back to change the moment when humanity sealed its own fate. Could you imagine the Roswell crew taking that one and running with it?!

I wonder if aligning herself with Trump is going to be May's version of Cameron's Brexit referendum decision. When he's inevitably disgraced (as if he hasn't already been), impeached and hopefully imprisoned, there is going to be a 200 mile long queue to throw shit at May and ask her why she didn't have the backbone to stand up to him.
An unelected PM who doesn't strike me in the slightest as a leader was never going to stand up to him after Boris and Nigel conjured up Brexit.

Calexit please. If Tennessee, Alabama and the other stupid States want to go back to the 18th century, they should not be allowed to take California with them.

I was talking about Trump with a mate from Uni and we ended up joking about how funny it would be if he was shot in the back of the head by a mental (sane) security guard who then claimed to be from the future, sent back to change the moment when humanity sealed its own fate. Could you imagine the Roswell crew taking that one and running with it?!
Reminds of this tweet

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.