The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.
YES.

They're refugees fleeing drug wars and the highest murder rates in the world. Defeating that wall is a much better proposition than what they're living in.

Have you ever read what people are willing to endure to migrate from somewhere they don't want to be, to somewhere they do want to be? It's kind of the history of human civilization...
Because they think there's something at the end. If that wall is undefeatable they aren't coming.

@Blackwidow the tweet you quoted is from a profession Hearthstone player/streamer. Not a criticism, just kinda funny I thought as I follow his stream on Twitch now and then.

There's nothing iffy about it. Walls work.

Israel, for instance, had a problem with tens of thousands of African migrants entering the country illegally across the Sinai border with Egypt. They built a proper wall. Last year the number of illegals dropped to about a dozen.

There's nothing special about the US border with Mexico. A well-designed wall, with sufficient human resources in support, can solve the problem of illegal migration once and for all.

After that I imagine the issue of illegals already in the US will cease to be so contentious, and most of them will eventually be allowed to stay.

The big problem isn't people crossing the border...it's people coming into the country and overstaying their visas. A wall does feck all about that. It also will do feck all to reign in illegal immigration from island Caribbean countries, which I'd imagine Trump is opposed to as well.

The wall is a symbol, even the biggest Trump supporter can see that surely. It's a symbol that he's doing something and that means change which in his supporters eyes is exactly what he promised.

I don't understand though, I've heard it's going to take over a decade to build. Trump can only serve two terms assuming he doesn't manage to change that, so after 8 years, does it continue to be built or do they tear it all down when they swing the other way and want a democratic liberal government again?

If I'm not mistaken Muhammad became a better man when he got power. So maybe Trump should follow his steps and convert to Islam?

You're very much mistaken if Muhammad's biography is actually accurate. He went from someone who was peaceful, charitable and chaste to a war mongering, butchering rapist who carried out massacres.

The story of Safiyyah is one of the clearest examples of this. He massacred her tribe, tortured and killed her husband and father and then raped her. Muslims claim it's a 'love story and Safiyyah wanted him to rescue her from her evil tribe', that's their interpretation not what Muslims of the time transcribed. The thing is the story also stated Safiyyah tried to poison Muhammed. I suppose war, butchering and rape was more a thing of the times back then though.

You're very much mistaken if Muhammad's biography is actually accurate. He went from someone who was peaceful, charitable and chaste to a war mongering, butchering rapist who carried out massacres.

The story of Safiyyah is one of the clearest examples of this. He massacred her tribe, tortured and killed her husband and father and then raped her. Muslims claim it's a 'love story and Safiyyah wanted him to rescue her from her evil tribe', that's their interpretation not what Muslims of the time transcribed. The thing is the story also stated Safiyyah tried to poison Muhammed. I suppose war, butchering and rape was more a thing of the times back then though.

Abraham, Isaac and his sons, David had similar violent conquests and have done devious things. Just saying

Have you ever seen the border ? Its not a tidy contiguous stretch of land that is amenable for a giant wall. There are rivers, valleys, canyons, cliffs, stretches of land where there is already a wall (700 miles worth). The more you look into it the more absurd the idea sounds - never mind the fact that a large chunk of people don't even come across the land border, which would make it a massive waste of money.

We're not talking about European expats flying in and overstaying their visas, its mostly people from the western hemisphere who are doing it.

Oh look an immigrant who doesnt want more immigrants coming in

I said better man not good man.

Dual citizens affected by this ban too.

https://qz.com/897382/trumps-immigration-order-will-also-bar-dual-citizens/

I'm a naturalised American, and my old Pakistani passport expired in 2002. But I never officially renounced my Pakistani citizenship, even though I haven't been back there since 2006 and have no intentions of ever returning. Should I go through the process of doing that?

I think US citizens are exempt from this craziness for the most part. As long as you travel with your US passport you should be fine at the border.

What a sad state of affairs.

Dual citizens affected by this ban too.

https://qz.com/897382/trumps-immigration-order-will-also-bar-dual-citizens/

I'm a naturalised American, and my old Pakistani passport expired in 2002. But I never officially renounced my Pakistani citizenship, even though I haven't been back there since 2006 and have no intentions of ever returning. Should I go through the process of doing that?
Yes mate. Although if you want a place to flee to if the shit hits the fan in the US then keep your Pakistani citizenship.

Wasn't Abraham the one who was quite literally going to sacrifice his son until God told him it was all just a test?
But he didn't. I mean, there are popular bible figures that did some shady things but using Abraham and Isaac as examples for that is an odd choice. There are much better examples.

Yes mate. Although if you want a place to flee to if the shit hits the fan in the US then keep your Pakistani citizenship.
He could flee to Canada on a US passport, right?
Anyway, iirc, the US govmnt only recognizes your US citizenship. At the swearing of the oath ceremony here then you probably already renounced your Pakistani citizenship.
Having a dual passport allows you to travel to, work & live in Pakistan but does nothing for you in the US.

I said better man not good man.

Right but I'm just pointing out that if we are to believe his biography he actually turned from a very good man into tyrant.

Abraham, Isaac and his sons, David had similar violent conquests and have done devious things. Just saying

I'm not as well read on the old testiment. I'm an ex-muslim hence my interest of and criticism of Muhammed.

Embarrassed that this man in my PM.

He and Trump should get a room, and let the rest of the world be.

Out of interest may I ask what percentage of Israeli would welcome a Palestinian State and are against civil rights discrimination against them? Just an outside, curiously looking in.

Good post, in the present system that is certainly correct.

Yeah, people are conflating two separate issues:

1. Whether or not the wall will be effective - certainly up for debate.
2. Whether or not it is immoral to build the wall. This one is missing the point, since the wall is just a means to confirm and secure what already exists as the basis of, like you say, the international system - the borders between nation-states. If the wall is immoral, then international borders are also immoral. That may or may not be true depending on one's general perspective on these matters, but we can all agree it's the reality we live in today, for right or wrong.

He could flee to Canada on a US passport, right?
Anyway, iirc, the US govmnt only recognizes your US citizenship. At the swearing of the oath ceremony here then you probably already renounced your Pakistani citizenship.
Having a dual passport allows you to travel to, work & live in Pakistan but does nothing for you in the US.

Tbh, I was 8 years old when I became a citizen, so I didn't have an oath ceremony. Just received my passport in the mail

Well Chinese built one that is over 13,000 miles long. :lol: But unless there is a threat of invasion from Mexico and the Americans has gone back technologically into 7th century BC, I agree that it makes no sense for them to build one now.

Built and reinforced over centuries, actually close to a millennium and the purpose was to stop an invading army, which utterly failed time and again.

I know you joked but that argument from Drumpfkins is so #alternativefact that it hurts.

If that wall is undefeatable they aren't coming.
They're already there. Hispanics make up a sixth of the United States' population. That's over 50 million Hispanic people currently residing in the US (legally). Add illegals to that, and it's probably significantly higher. Trump can't deport that many people. For a start, the economy would collapse over night.

Essentially, Trump is building a wall for no reason.

FAO our Indian posters (e.g. @berbatrick, @VidaRed et al):

The Indian/Pakistan border is considerably longer than the US/Mexican border, and the stakes are much higher with two nuclear armed enemies facing each other and insurgent/terrorist infiltration a real, genuine threat, especially in Kashmir.

How common is infiltration one way or the other? Are any sections of the border walled, fenced or mined? What about remote desert areas like the Thar Desert or the Rann of Kutch?

Ultimately states have a right, even a duty, to protect their borders in accordance with the wishes of their population. If (and it's a big if) a wall can achieve that then it's a legitimate means. The problem with Trump's wall is all the demonising and bullying rhetoric surrounding it.

The "and they will pay for it" clause is particularly odious tbf.

Status
Not open for further replies.