The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing is America doesn't have to be fecked. They system has massive flaws, but like all systems it can be changed. The gridlock in Congress has huge ramifications, and doesn't have to exist. At the moment most issues in a country of almost 400m people is coming down to 1 or 2 conservative judges on the SC, because Congress can't pass anything. Why not? Because of the Senate (the House actually passes lots). Why don't the Senate do anything? Because Mitch McConnell worked out that an apathetic populace means decisions go to judges, and he can pick the judges. Why can he do that? Because of the filibuster.

And now there's growing support - even among democrats that for years opposed it - to remove the filibuster.

Similarly, IF the dems can take all 3 branches, expect wide review of the electoral college, which is clearly violating the 'one man one vote' principles of democracy.

Those two changes alone would materially course-correct the US, because it would enable legislation to get through Congress, and force the GOP to run with the majority on issues if they want to have any power. 80% of Americans agree with DACA - and yet the GOP just pushed up to the SC a case to eliminate it. That isn't possible if you're forced to represent your constituents.

America is not beyond saving, but it is close.

Fu
And they say republicans are the ones who are brainwashed by fox news
Haha, right pal. Let me ask you this. Which one of these two shit parties align closer to your values and your vision for this country?

The thing is America doesn't have to be fecked. They system has massive flaws, but like all systems it can be changed. The gridlock in Congress has huge ramifications, and doesn't have to exist. At the moment most issues in a country of almost 400m people is coming down to 1 or 2 conservative judges on the SC, because Congress can't pass anything. Why not? Because of the Senate (the House actually passes lots). Why don't the Senate do anything? Because Mitch McConnell worked out that an apathetic populace means decisions go to judges, and he can pick the judges. Why can he do that? Because of the filibuster.

And now there's growing support - even among democrats that for years opposed it - to remove the filibuster.

Similarly, IF the dems can take all 3 branches, expect wide review of the electoral college, which is clearly violating the 'one man one vote' principles of democracy.

Those two changes alone would materially course-correct the US, because it would enable legislation to get through Congress, and force the GOP to run with the majority on issues if they want to have any power. 80% of Americans agree with DACA - and yet the GOP just pushed up to the SC a case to eliminate it. That isn't possible if you're forced to represent your constituents.

America is not beyond saving, but it is close.

While this would be amazing it is simply NEVER going to happen. The EC is constitutionally mandated, which means its removal would need to be done by an amendment. Even if you could get 2/3rds of the senate and house to vote for it I do not see any way you can get 2/3rds of the states to ratify it. This would require at least some of the small states who benefit from it the most to ratify it. It would also require at least a few red states to do so as well. I can't see that happening. This makes me sad.

While this would be amazing it is simply NEVER going to happen. The EC is constitutionally mandated, which means its removal would need to be done by an amendment. Even if you could get 2/3rds of the senate and house to vote for it I do not see any way you can get 2/3rds of the states to ratify it. This would require at least some of the small states who benefit from it the most to ratify it. It would also require at least a few red states to do so as well. I can't see that happening. This makes me sad.
Don't be sad. Go out and vote.

Wait. You guys actually band people just for being Liverpool fans?
Have you read any football thread here??? We have been eagerly anticipating this and good fecking riddance. Who the feck supports liverpool and spend their time on a United forum.

You wouldn't actually need to amend the constitution to functionally remove the Electoral College. You "just" need states representing a majority of electoral votes to agree to elect the popular vote winner. I think there's such a proposal going around, with states representing close to 200 electoral votes having singed on. Of course, it's useless until you get at least 271 electoral votes, and the final few might be difficult.

Don't be sad. Go out and vote.

I do vote, and campaign for my local candidates. Let me tell you, campaigning for a liberal, LGBTQ woman candidate for state congress in Alabama is an experience like few others....

I vacillate between anger and sadness, because change is happening slowly, if at all, and we do not have the time to waste getting there. Woman, minorities, LGBTQ, POC, etc. should not have to wait for equality. The climate can not wait for conservatives to actually give a shit. As long as the structures of our government (The EC, equal state representation in the senate, institutional racism, etc.) persist these changes move from common sense to monumental efforts of convincing the uneducated and selfish of their value. And we need to do this because the very structure of our government ensure that a minority (34%) can inhibit any fundamental changes .

You wouldn't actually need to amend the constitution to functionally remove the Electoral College. You "just" need states representing a majority of electoral votes to agree to elect the popular vote winner. I think there's such a proposal going around, with states representing close to 200 electoral votes having singed on. Of course, it's useless until you get at least 271 electoral votes, and the final few might be difficult.
You're right, they're actually pretty close too. Of course at present it's all the democratic leaning states, but only need a few more to be the majority. If that happens and states stick to their word (as do the electees) then wham bam we're done.

True, the NPVIC could basically accomplish this, but still comes down to red states joining up. Of the pending states you would need some combination of Ohio, Penn, SC, NC, and Georgia to join up.

I do vote, and campaign for my local candidates. Let me tell you, campaigning for a liberal, LGBTQ woman candidate for state congress in Alabama is an experience like few others....

I vacillate between anger and sadness, because change is happening slowly, if at all, and we do not have the time to waste getting there. Woman, minorities, LGBTQ, POC, etc. should not have to wait for equality. The climate can not wait for conservatives to actually give a shit. As long as the structures of our government (The EC, equal state representation in the senate, institutional racism, etc.) persist these changes move from common sense to monumental efforts of convincing the uneducated and selfish of their value. And we need to do this because the very structure of our government ensure that a minority (34%) can inhibit any fundamental changes .
I can only imagine how soul-crushing that can be. You should post more info about her and the campaign donation info. Maybe some of us can help her out with a few bucks.

I can only imagine how soul-crushing that can be. You should post more info about her and the campaign donation info. Maybe some of us can help her out with a few bucks.

Thankfully we are gone from Alabama now, so this would have been 2018. Here is her website (http://stewart4alabama.com/). It look like she did not run again in 2020. Too bad. We met her when she knocked on the door and then came in to chat. Amazing woman with a good platform (for alabama at least), which meant she had no chance, but it was still refreshing to see.

Last edited:

:lol:
Assuming this is a form letter sent to all people on the donor list who have not made a recent donation I think we now know what Trump does all day besides tweeting. He apparently goes down the list and asks about each of them one by one. Such dedication.

Thankfully we are gone from Alabama now, so this would have been 2018. Here is her website (http://stewart4alabama.com/). It look like she did not run again in 2020. Too bad. We met her when she knocked on the door and then came in to chat. Amazing woman with a good platform (for alabama at least), which meant she had no chance, but it was still refreshing to see.
Didn't expect to see criminal justice reform on there tbh.

I'm trying to remember whether it was a story or a video about how there were these conservative newsletters that scammed mainly older people, and promoted all kinds of pseudoscience and pyramid schemes, that I think had similar tactics in their messaging. Maybe it was a John Oliver piece, but it really was so long ago that I don't remember.

hqdefault.jpg

Chuck Grassley openly begs White House officials to stage intervention with Trump — or else face defeat

Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-IA) on Friday openly pleaded with White House officials to stage an intervention with President Donald Trump and make clear to him that he is going to lose badly unless he changes course.

Writing on Twitter, Grassley urged White House officials to make Trump read a Wall Street Journal editorial that warned the president is on track to face a “historic repudiation” at the ballot box.

“Will somebody wwith access to the Oval Office read the WSJ editorial ‘The Trump Referendum’ to President Trump,” Grassley wrote. “We won’t have more good SCOTUS justices or the best economy in 50 years like we have had if he doesn’t follow that advice.

Looks like the panic as set in.

Coronavirus briefing completely dodged the use of masks so far. Spineless cowards!

To be fair, if there's one person in the world who keeps a list of people who haven't sent enough money to him recently and who makes the time to constantly check it and send out harassing emails to those who haven't, it would be Trump.

Status
Not open for further replies.