The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.
No I was trying to impress a woman with my knowledge but she kept frowning at me. Developing nations or something, I think she said.
That's the first time I've heard talking about the third world not working as a chat up line. Normally it's guaranteed success!

Next time just ask if she's aware that Ireland, Sweden and Switzerland are all third world countries, then adopt a worldly expression, gaze at her manfully and ask if she'd like to see your developing regions.

I'll keep that in reserve.

That's the first time I've heard talking about the third world not working as a chat up line. Normally it's guaranteed success!

I hang with a different quality of females...

Red Indians (or Redskins) is classes as being offensive and insensitive by many. I think Native American is the accepted term.

Yeah First Nation is what I understand to be correct. Although on the official US Coronavirus records it's Navajo Nation.
Are Washington and Kansas going to ditch their NFL names? Do they still do the Tomahawk Chop over there or is it outlawed?

Orientals is a very, very outdated pejorative term to describe east asians.
Glad I read this, I live in SE Asia and had no idea oriental was offensive, I guess that's partly because it is a term I never use as it is so outdated, but I've never thought of it as a bad phrase. I have always used the term Asian.

Glad I read this, I live in SE Asia and had no idea oriental was offensive, I guess that's partly because it is a term I never use as it is so outdated, but I've never thought of it as a bad phrase. I have always used the term Asian.

Asian doesn't include sub-continent in it's American usage. I've seen Indians refer to themselves as East Indian in California.

isn't it funny now that they're the one ending up deciding what's racist and what's not.

As an Asian I never met someone who'd feel offended with the world oriental.

Are Washington and Kansas going to ditch their NFL names? Do they still do the Tomahawk Chop over there or is it outlawed?
I’m not enough Amerindian to claim it as my ethnicity, but I think I can say the KC Chiefs name and Chop are fine. What isn’t fine is the DC name, but when you don’t have running water you have bigger priorities which is why it isn’t a major issue. They have other priorities.

What is not fine (to tie this back to the topic), is Donald holding a campaign rally in downtown Tulsa on Juneteenth during a pandemic.

A professor in Norway said in the news today that people here should stop using the word "indianer (same as Indian I guess)" about the original population in the US. Is this the same as the N-word?

I remember as a kid we used to play "indian and cowboy". There was never any thought about racism, I for my self liked to be an Indian as I liked them and their culture and it was more fun to use a bow.

But maybe some from the US can enlighten me here, this was new to me. Is that word interpreted as something with the oppression and namegiving from when the europeans came and almost eradicated the "original people" over there?

Also, are they demonstrating? They must be one of the most oppressed people I know of, they lost it all.

Ì guess native americans is just better and more correct.

Don't worry. Loads of Twitter users are planning to make it an Obama Appreciation Day and flooding Twitter with Obama images. :D
Their username will be going on ze lizt
636392560018335758-EPA-GERMANY-USA-MEDIA-93272043.JPG

A professor in Norway said in the news today that people here should stop using the word "indianer (same as Indian I guess)" about the original population in the US. Is this the same as the N-word?

I remember as a kid we used to play "indian and cowboy". There was never any thought about racism, I for my self liked to be an Indian as I liked them and their culture and it was more fun to use a bow.

But maybe some from the US can enlighten me here, this was new to me. Is that word interpreted as something with the oppression and namegiving from when the europeans came and almost eradicated the "original people" over there?

Also, are they demonstrating? They must be one of the most oppressed people I know of, they lost it all.

It's different with Europe. As you note, there tends to be a lot of fascination and admiration of the culture there. I still remember the sheer amazement on the faces of my cousin's children when they were asking me asking me "Dwayne, bist du indianer?"

But truthfully, the term is both a misnomer and a bit of a slight. Those original explorers who came to the Americas were looking for a route to India and thought they'd found it, so calling the people of the Americas Indians seemed appropriate. Once this was determined to be false, the term indian is now like a shortened version of indigenous. It carries with it a lot of negativity.

Usage is contentious, as official government departments still use it in Canada and the US. Even action groups like AIM (The American Indian Movement) still use it. First Nations, American Indian, Indigenous are all acceptable. It's a little difficult because as a group they are not homogenous but rather consist of many different tribes with their own customs and traits. It would be impossible for outsiders to keep up and we keep changing what we think is acceptable as well.

John Bolton's tell-all book includes claims of misconduct in foreign affairs that goes beyond Ukraine, report says

What a courageous man he is ,and what a disaster the Democrats are for narrowing this investigation.

John Bolton's tell-all book includes claims of misconduct in foreign affairs that goes beyond Ukraine, report says

What a courageous man he is ,and what a disaster the Democrats are for narrowing this investigation.

Democrats could have done everything and the outcome would still have been no different. Trump could shit on the oval office desk and McConnell would swallow it and claim there's nothing to see and the desk smells like fresh lavender.

Quite a sad character really. The dire need for attention and affirmation for someone his age really is quite pathetic.
Yes, sometimes you think you could feel sorry for him and how petty and puerile he is, but then you remember he is also a very, very bad person, so no, feck him.

isn't it funny now that they're the one ending up deciding what's racist and what's not.

As an Asian I never met someone who'd feel offended with the world oriental.

True and in fact there are official names with Oriental Medicine or something else like that. So I don't understand why the non Asians should get upset when an Asian describe Asians in their own way.

It's different with Europe. As you note, there tends to be a lot of fascination and admiration of the culture there. I still remember the sheer amazement on the faces of my cousin's children when they were asking me asking me "Dwayne, bist du indianer?"

But truthfully, the term is both a misnomer and a bit of a slight. Those original explorers who came to the Americas were looking for a route to India and thought they'd found it, so calling the people of the Americas Indians seemed appropriate. Once this was determined to be false, the term indian is now like a shortened version of indigenous. It carries with it a lot of negativity.

Usage is contentious, as official government departments still use it in Canada and the US. Even action groups like AIM (The American Indian Movement) still use it. First Nations, American Indian, Indigenous are all acceptable. It's a little difficult because as a group they are not homogenous but rather consist of many different tribes with their own customs and traits. It would be impossible for outsiders to keep up and we keep changing what we think is acceptable as well.

And different physical features too if I may add.

True and in fact there are official names with Oriental Medicine or something else like that. So I don't understand why the non Asians should get upset when an Asian describe Asians in their own way.
That's the thing though, they are only "oriental" in relation to their location to Europe, the same way people from west Asia are called middle eastern because it relates to their location in relation to Europe.

That's the thing though, they are only "oriental" in relation to their location to Europe, the same way people from west Asia are called middle eastern because it relates to their location in relation to Europe.

True. I don't deny that but Oriental is not offensive to Asians as far as I know.
It's the same as Columbus and Captain Cook etc isn't it?
I can't go to the UK the first time and say I have discovered England. People had discovered these lands and were already living there when Columbus and Cook went to America and Australia.

True. I don't deny that but Oriental is not offensive to Asians as far as I know.
It's the same as Columbus and Captain Cook etc isn't it?
I can't go to the UK the first time and say I have discovered England. People had discovered these lands and were already living there when Columbus and Cook went to America and Australia.
Yeah I agree I've never met an Asian who finds the term oriental to be bad.

Yeah I agree I've never met an Asian who finds the term oriental to be bad.

Although I was surprised to see it mentioned as offensive here, Oriental as something from the east is not considered offensive according to dictionaries (Chambers), however when referring to someone of the east, it is. It makes sense that it should be like that.

Although I was surprised to see it mentioned as offensive here, Oriental as something from the east is not considered offensive according to dictionaries (Chambers), however when referring to someone of the east, it is. It makes sense that it should be like that.

It's mainly in the USA it's deemed to be offensive.

Are Washington and Kansas going to ditch their NFL names?

There have been numerous campaigns,, protests and lawsuits trying to get the Washington Redskins to change their name. I can remember some as far back as the turn of the millennium. Around 01/02 I think. Maybe even before that.

American president incessantly trying to incite racial tension.

Later in this quote, Trump apparently states that he wants no more choke holds.
But he just couldn’t resist being a racist cnut just seconds befoee, making sure the knife is twisted just so.

Washington, potentially. Who knows the ETA on that now?

It will be interesting to see if the NCAA teams that have names like these will be swayed to change. My alma mater FSU has a pretty good relationship with the Seminole Tribe, but who knows if that will continue like it is?

Status
Not open for further replies.