The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a couple of years old, but it tells the story. Although as bad as Trump is, and he's probably going only going to get worse, I'm sure he'll always have the support of some far-right Europeans who wish they were Americans.

PG_2018.10.1_U.S.-Image_0-5.png

Disappointing yet not surprising that we have that many cnuts in Britain.

I don't understand why no other western powers call him out.

He cant use his bully boy tactics with a western government, something needs to be done to shine a light on him. His talk and posturing is looking like Germany in 1939.

He can, France called them out during Powell's UN speech on Iraq.

Look at what they did to them

Look at what US did to China

And that's a big country, good luck if you're smaller nation like Venezuela or god forbid Iran

In 12 years every single person here will be pining for the restraint of Trump.

This is how a member of the younger generation viewed Bush in 2003, after the United States had invaded Iraq on the basis of false claims that the country possessed weapons of mass destruction:

The damage to this country and our body politic is staggering. . . . For our Government to be lying to us as they invoke our ideals in their rhetoric sickens me to the core of my being. It means something has gone so rotten. . . . It’s the bile you swallow in the back of your throat but keeps rising back up. It is a pattern, a pattern of cruelty, trickery, deceit, crass politics, and manipulative actions. It’s something that I can no longer ignore and it is absolutely shattering my optimism. . . . And that is a terrible thing, when our Government destroys the idealism of our young.

Strong stuff, suggesting the kind of experience you don’t easily recover from. If such feelings of betrayal don’t overwhelm you with a corrosive cynicism, inducing you to withdraw from politics, they provoke an incipient realism or an irrepressible radicalism. The Gulf War, which happened when I was twenty-three, set me on the latter path, guided, I’d like to think, by some sense of the former. But whether one opts for realism or radicalism or both, such great disillusionment would seem to preclude making statements like this, fifteen years later:

I’ve never seen anything as cynical in politics as Republicans spending four months refusing to reauthorize the Children’s Health Insurance Program, then attaching reauthorization to another controversial bill, then blaming Democrats for not supporting CHIP. It’s breathtaking.
You get to lose your innocence only once. But Ezra Klein, the author of both these statements, loses his every night as he scans the day’s report of the latest Republican Party outrage. American liberalism is also a party of the born-again.
The truth is that we’re captives, not captains, of this strategy. We think the contrast of a burnished past allows us to see the burning present, but all it does is keep the fire going, and growing. Confronting the indecent Nixon, Roth imagines a better McCarthy. Confronting the indecent Trump, he imagines a better Nixon. At no point does he recognize that he’s been fighting the same monster all along — and losing. He doesn’t see how the rehabilitation of the last monster allows the front line to move rightward, the new monster to get closer to the territory being defended.
Donald Trump is making America great again — not by his own hand but through the labor of his critics, who posit a more perfect union less as an aspiration for the future than as the accomplished fact of a reimagined past.

https://harpers.org/archive/2018/04/forget-about-it/

Last edited:
In 12 years every single person here will be pining for the restraint of Trump.

This is how a member of the younger generation viewed Bush in 2003, after the United States had invaded Iraq on the basis of false claims that the country possessed weapons of mass destruction:

Strong stuff, suggesting the kind of experience you don’t easily recover from. If such feelings of betrayal don’t overwhelm you with a corrosive cynicism, inducing you to withdraw from politics, they provoke an incipient realism or an irrepressible radicalism. The Gulf War, which happened when I was twenty-three, set me on the latter path, guided, I’d like to think, by some sense of the former. But whether one opts for realism or radicalism or both, such great disillusionment would seem to preclude making statements like this, fifteen years later:

You get to lose your innocence only once. But Ezra Klein, the author of both these statements, loses his every night as he scans the day’s report of the latest Republican Party outrage. American liberalism is also a party of the born-again.
The truth is that we’re captives, not captains, of this strategy. We think the contrast of a burnished past allows us to see the burning present, but all it does is keep the fire going, and growing. Confronting the indecent Nixon, Roth imagines a better McCarthy. Confronting the indecent Trump, he imagines a better Nixon. At no point does he recognize that he’s been fighting the same monster all along — and losing. He doesn’t see how the rehabilitation of the last monster allows the front line to move rightward, the new monster to get closer to the territory being defended.
Donald Trump is making America great again — not by his own hand but through the labor of his critics, who posit a more perfect union less as an aspiration for the future than as the accomplished fact of a reimagined past.

https://harpers.org/archive/2018/04/forget-about-it/

Interesting insight. I do worry how bad things will be like in politics if we ever get to a point where Trump is deemed "not as bad as I thought". I'm worried because I'm pretty positive it'll happen.

I don't think we have anything to worry about. W. has gained popularity from mostly staying out of sight and sometimes playing the polite, moderate statesman role. Trump is probably clinically unable to replicate that. He's not going to stay out of politics no matter what happens in November. If he wins, he's forever going to brag about it, antagonizing everyone, and if he loses he's going to forever rage about a coup and stolen elections, antagonizing everyone.

He's going to spend the rest of his life reminding us why we hated him in the first place, and with social media he doesn't need any help doing it.

Interesting insight. I do worry how bad things will be like in politics if we ever get to a point where Trump is deemed "not as bad as I thought". I'm worried because I'm pretty positive it'll happen.

For funny reasons, Don Jr, (at least his father started his businesses). For scary reasons, Tom Cotton (at least Trump only deployed the military, he didn't bomb DC and Iran at the same time)

They should do a movie about Trump's episode in the bunker like they did with Hiter in Der Untergang. Think it would become an instant blockbuster.

Two positive Tweets for a change. But... I can't help but feel the timing of them stinks and wonder the motive behind them too. I just can't ever believe he does something for someone else with nothing to gain himself.

Two positive Tweets for a change. But... I can't help but feel the timing of them stinks and wonder the motive behind them too. I just can't ever believe he does something for someone else with nothing to gain himself.

Because you’re right.

First ever african American....”I’m not racist, my 2 best friends are black”.

Covid response to job losses - after not caring about the impact of the disease initially.

Upcoming elections I guess.

US hiding beneficiaries of $500bn Covid-19 corporate aid

'Businesses have taken at least half a trillion dollars in coronavirus aid from the American public, and the US government is refusing to disclose which companies are getting the money, write Emily Holden and Daniel Strauss in Washington for the Guardian US.

The lack of oversight in the system for US lawmakers’ “paycheck protection program” makes the historic levels of spending ripe for abuse. The media and watchdogs cannot scrutinise the payments to ensure against waste, fraud or favours to political allies.

Eleven national news publications are suing for public records, yet little public attention has gone to the problem, as the government has scrambled to respond to a cratered economy and unemployment that has soared past 40m jobless claims.

“It’s absolutely mind-boggling that we’re in a situation where we’re shovelling so much money out to private businesses, and we don’t know where it’s going,” said Kyle Herrig, founder of the watchdog group Accountable.US.'

(Guardian U.S.)

Is Trump actually in that pic, or is he so white that he's invisible?

Further to earlier posts:
Twitter said:
Seth Abramson: OANN is being eyed by the Trump family as the vehicle for Trump TV.
Seems like the family is considering buying OANN.

Its obvious why he's appointed an african american surely, even the most politically incorrect has gone politically correct you could say.

Give it a few months and it'll be:

'LOSER "General" Brown didn't resign - I fired him. I never thought he was a good Chief, even when I thought he was a good Chief. Just can't get the staff!'

Press said:
Stephen Miller is writing President Donald Trump’s upcoming national address against racism
...which will be filmed by Leni Riefenstahl.'

He's not even hiding it anymore

I wonder how other nations thinks about trump and the states. It's beyond parody, I don't even think parody can top this
I remember the South Park creators saying as much. They said they got tired of trying to parody trump because the real thing was so ridiculous.

It's like he's let Alex Jones have a go on his phone. Come to think of it, I have my doubts that Trump knows the word "provocateur"...

The only way he knows that word is through the Agent Provocateur lingerie company!

I don't think he envisioned getting nominated by the GOP, and thus was simply a self-promotion op for him. His long-term goal was to create his own media empire, IMO, and much like many other con artists he saw the most gullible crowd to milk money from - Republican voters. Then he was nominated as he had taken over the GOP like an infectious disease. His team probably figured he'd lose to Hillary but this nomination had now set him up for a definite post-GE media empire. Then he won the fecking GE thanks to an outdated system.
His face when he came out that night said it all. From what I've read there were a lot if unhappy people in the entourage that night. Their level of unpreparedness was astonishing which is very telling.

"The US is a bastion of peace and freedom and has been for most of my lifetime."
As a wealthy, white American-born man it's no surprise that Johnson thinks like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.