The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Citations fecking needed.

Not sure why you are overly protecting her TBH. Maybe you're bored this Easter.

She has been openly racist. Citation above. She has since gone quiet. Does that mean she is no longer a racist? I don't see an apology, so YOU provide us with the citation.

Not sure why you are overly protecting her TBH. Maybe you're bored this Easter.

She has been openly racist. Citation above. She has since gone quiet. Does that mean she is no longer a racist? I don't see an apology, so YOU provide us with the citation.
Complicit in everything is what I'm suggesting is a ridiculous claim without citation.

I am, of course, very bored, yes.

I think there's a lot of misogyny in her treatment. Especially the 'Free Melania' stuff. We know very, very little about her and about their marriage. A lot is talked about her, mostly baseless, and this is gossipy nonsense about someone who is not politically active.

...and this is gossipy nonsense about someone who is not politically active.

What makes you think she’s not politically active?

That is not a current political matter.

I don’t understand what this means? Neither is Holocaust denial. It’s still a pretty good indicator of a bad egg.

feck her and the racist horse she rode in on.

Last edited:
That is not a current political matter.
What do you mean she 'signed up for this' ? You mean she married Donald Trump?
CNN had an author on yesterday talking about his book on Trump’s first year. He mentioned that it was Melania who pushed him to run for president and that she has much more imfluence than people think. So as far as I’m concerned, she deserves all the shit she gets. Furthermore, she knew what she was getting into when she agreed to be a Trump trophy wife.

What makes you think she’s not politically active?

I don’t understand what this means? Neither is Holocaust denial. It’s still a pretty good indicator of a bad egg.

feck her and the racist horse she rode in on.
In the first case, that I don't see her attempting to further political causes much.

The latter, yeah, the evidence suggests she's a wrong 'un. Again, I'm not advocating Melania love. I'm arguing that this gossiping about her is unjustified bullshit.

She became fair game after she went on TV shows asking to see Obama's birth certificate.

She comes across as a massive tool/puppet of Donald there, it's as if she has no understanding of the words coming out of her mouth and just been planted there to talk rubbish about an American Citizens birth certificate whilst she's an immigrant herself.

Nor me. It's making this pointless defense of her right to be pointless considerably harder than I anticipated but I remain confident I have nothing better to do.
I mean you have a lot of people saying now that Melania doesn't deserve this, she didn't plan on being First Lady, she's not part of the current shitshow etc. Then you look at videos like that.

Whilst we're on this - I'm not sure Melania Trump is fair game, personally - with the rare exceptions of those extremely rare exceptions where she does get involved in politics.

I find it pretty distasteful when people are pouring through the Stormy Daniel's stuff and debating her views on her marriage or her legal options. From what I've seen she is not keen to have political influence and should be left alone as much as possible.

She publicly supported her husband on the birther bull---t. She's no innocent bystander.

Furthermore, considering the GOP's hardline stance on immigration, the fact that she almost certainly made it into the US illegally at first certainly makes her fair game.

I think there's a lot of misogyny in her treatment. Especially the 'Free Melania' stuff. We know very, very little about her and about their marriage. A lot is talked about her, mostly baseless, and this is gossipy nonsense about someone who is not politically active.

I agree - she doesn't need freeing She took an adult decision.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...c-marriage-in-one_us_592444eee4b07617ae4cbfa2

(Don't mind the horrible clickbait style that's not only the headline but also the written article.)

I don't follow her but I was under the impression she posts a ton of conspiratorial nonsense on Twitter?

Mel is first lady. Of course she is fair game. Whether she comes out with political/racists/stupid stuff doesn't matter, she's flotus, and as such a political figure.

I am not going to quote all of you that are basically saying 'she's bad so it's fair'. That's not a serious argument. It's one I'm prone to making but that's besides the point.

I agree - she doesn't need freeing She took an adult decision.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...c-marriage-in-one_us_592444eee4b07617ae4cbfa2

(Don't mind the horrible clickbait style that's not only the headline but also the written article.)
I think this is fair.

This here is a piece about the very few things we actually know. She stands by her husband at all 'appropriate' moments. She's previously gone as far as to say some bollocks about Obama. She's a wrong'un.

That doesn't mean we can claim moral justification in endless speculation about her private thoughts.

Its perfectly ok to think Melania is both a beneficiary and a victim in all of this. She did after all win the Billionaire lottery by way of Trump selecting her as his latest (and probably final) Trophy wife, where she thought she could live the dream life of a princess, bring her parents over to the US, and generally be rich and glamorous. The price for all of that is of course being married to Donald Trump and risking the humiliation of him sleeping around with many women, some of which he had parallel sex lives with during much of his marriage, after having repeatedly done the same thing during each of his previous two marriages. So at the end of the day, Melania ignored all that risk to pursue a life of money and glamour and as such, can't really be viewed as just a victim - she has also been an active participant in her own predicament.

Its perfectly ok to think Melania is both a beneficiary and a victim in all of this. She did after all win the Billionaire lottery by way of Trump selecting her as his latest (and probably final) Trophy wife, where she thought she could live the dream life of a princess, bring her parents over to the US, and generally be rich and glamorous. The price for all of that is of course being married to Donald Trump and risking the humiliation of him sleeping around with many women, some of which he had parallel sex lives with during much of his marriage, after having repeatedly done the same thing during each of his previous two marriages. So at the end of the day, Melania ignored all that risk to pursue a life of money and glamour and as such, can't really be viewed as just a victim - she has also been an active participant in her own predicament.
This would be what I'm referring to. A load of sexist nonsense pretending to have an insight as to her thoughts, based almost entirely on assumption.

I mean you have a lot of people saying now that Melania doesn't deserve this, she didn't plan on being First Lady, she's not part of the current shitshow etc. Then you look at videos like that.

She publicly supported her husband on the birther bull---t. She's no innocent bystander.

Furthermore, considering the GOP's hardline stance on immigration, the fact that she almost certainly made it into the US illegally at first certainly makes her fair game.

It's so hypocritical that she came to the US under the 'genius' visa that is reserved for people with extraordinary abilities and after she came, her folks followed soon after via chain migration.

She and her family are everything that Trump supporters usually hate, except they are white

Is speculating on her thoughts wrong and sexist nonsense now?
In this and many other cases, yes. Is it not nonsense to invent the thoughts of someone we know incredibly little about? Is 'She did after all win the Billionaire lottery by way of Trump selecting her as his latest (and probably final) Trophy wife' somehow not sexist?

In this and many other cases, yes. Is it not nonsense to invent the thoughts of someone we know incredibly little about? Is 'She did after all win the Billionaire lottery by way of Trump selecting her as his latest (and probably final) Trophy wife' somehow not sexist?

Why do you care so much?

Why do you care so much?
Honestly, I remember being at the women's march, a year ago, in London and just being dismayed at the 'free Melania' signs. As if this was somehow pro-woman. It annoyed me and today is the first time I've been bored enough to rant about it.

I'll back off, now. No one seems that interested in it, apart from me, and I've had a fair airing of my views.

That's precisely what happened isn't it. Trump was a known philanderer going all the way back to the 80s and anyone who got involved with him knew this. He repeatedly cheated on Ivana, including with his next wife Marla Maples, and then continued doing so uninterruptedly throughout both of his subsequent marriages. Melania can't there be given a get out of jail free card not knowing what she was getting into by marrying Trump - and yet she did anyway. So there will obviously be some degree of criticism.

Honestly, I remember being at the women's march, a year ago, in London and just being dismayed at the 'free Melania' signs. As if this was somehow pro-woman. It annoyed me and today is the first time I've been bored enough to rant about it.

I'll back off, now. No one seems that interested in it, apart from me, and I've had a fair airing of my views.

Not too surprising given you've openly admitted to basically being on the wum.

Status
Not open for further replies.