The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trump on the latest school shooting: “I really believe I'd run in there even if I didn't have a weapon."

Sure you would have cadet bone spur.

Trump's language regarding arming of the teachers is pretty insane imo, I don't think he's learned yet that his words actually have meaning. Things like "this will solve the problem" and "shootings will not happen again" etc is just dumb as feck. Not that it will matter in the end since he will deflect and blame something else if it were to happen again and until it does he will tweet "I told you so" every single day, but it's just incredibly stupid of him to put himself in that position.

Trump's language regarding arming of the teachers is pretty insane imo, I don't think he's learned yet that his words actually have meaning. Things like "this will solve the problem" and "shootings will not happen again" etc is just dumb as feck. Not that it will matter in the end since he will deflect and blame something else if it were to happen again and until it does he will tweet "I told you so" every single day, but it's just incredibly stupid of him to put himself in that position.
He is still talking to his voters who want only a reaction and not an elaborated thought.

Last edited:
This is nonsense. If anything, politics is economic. People tend to support those who they feel will benefit them most. How do you explain massive shifts to Thatcher and Blair in the UK? The huge Reagan and Nixon landslides? People choose their sides but when necessary vote for what's best for them.
Exactly. Anything else is being stupid.

I could have understood left wing voters to not have voted Hillary (be it just don't vote, or vote for the opposition) if the candidate was someone more moderate like Kasich or even Romney, cause if you look, there is hardly any big difference in their policies (of course, Hillary recently pivoted to the left), with all of them being close to the center.

But don't vote Hillary cause you don't like her, and so leave Trump become a president. I hope that they are enjoying his presidency.

For a lot of Americans it was though. My colleagues in 2016 were a liberal bunch but most weer completely conflicted voting for her.

She was a shitty candidate and her getting the nomination in the first place was pure stupidity on the part of Democrats in the primary. That said however, she was then running against Donald Trump and a Republican party further to the right than its ever been. A group of people who want to kick out foreigners, impoverish the poor, remove every worker right they can get their hands on and take away poor people's access to healthcare. If Hillary Clinton seemed comparable to that, then people need their fecking heads examining.

I really would love the entire Media to double down on this. If they could just ask her every single time that would be grand.

On one hand it's distasteful. But on the other it's justifiable.

FWIW - She handled most of the questions well I have to say.

Isn't sidestepping questions you don't want to answer essentially what all politicians do

:lol: Give me a fecking break. Its exactly the same in the UK. Politics is basically partisan in most countries.

That notion that you're morally or intellectually superior might make you feel better but its a million miles from reality.
I doubt any first world country is so ridiculously polarized as the United States. It's reality show levels of absurd. In Europe we at least pretend to respect the opposition, in America it's just full on name calling, accusations and BS around the clock.

That's probably what surprised Michael Wolff when he went on a liberal TV show in Holland. Even though we're sort of on your side, we will still ask you difficult questions. Imagine Fox news asking Trump an awkward question and actually airing it. Never ever EVER going to happen. The United States are a global laughing stock.

And going from Obama to a man who epitomizes what is wrong with modern society is nothing short of a fecking tradegy. I'd weep for the state of your country, but I can't be arsed to care for it either way.

Long story short, yes, a lot of western countries are morally vastly superior to the US. At least politics wise.

Last edited:
The discussion was actually generic and not purely US based. Data was provided, as it was in the Healthcare thread but some people like to run their mouth and then go quiet when faced with facts. ;)

At a certain point responding to all your "alternative facts" becomes tiresome.

I doubt any first world country is so ridiculously polarized as the United States. It's reality show levels of absurd. In Europe we at least pretend to respect the opposition, in America it's just full on name calling, accusations and BS around the clock.

That's probably what surprised Michael Wolff when he went on a liberal TV show in Holland. Even though we're sort of on your side, we will still ask you difficult questions. Imagine Fox news asking Trump an awkward question and actually airing it. Never ever EVER going to happen. The United States are a global laughing stock.

And going from Obama to a man who epitomizes what is wrong with modern society is nothing short of a fecking tradegy. I'd weep for the state of you're country, but I can't be arsed to care for it either way.

Long story short, yes, a lot of western countries are morally vastly superior to the US. At least politics wise.

I am Anglo-American so it is not my country it is where I choose to live. It's definitely different to most western countries, and the orange clown is totally divisive. However most Americans daily lives are no different today than four years ago. His Presidency is a comedic sideshow and a heck of a lot of Americans aren't even watching at this point.

I am Anglo-American so it is not my country it is where I choose to live. It's definitely different to most western countries, and the orange clown is totally divisive. However most Americans daily lives are no different today than four years ago. His Presidency is a comedic sideshow and a heck of a lot of Americans aren't even watching at this point.
I agree that for a lot of Americans daily life stays the same, but he is definitely feeding the already polarized climate in the US. Things are supposed to be getting better in that regard and if this clown stays on for another 6 years, he will throw the states back decades I think.

Also, I said you're country, I'm so embarrassed I meant your ofcourse :)

I agree that for a lot of Americans daily life stays the same, but he is definitely feeding the already polarized climate in the US. Things are supposed to be getting better in that regard and if this clown stays on for another 6 years, he will throw the states back decades I think.

Also, I said you're country, I'm so embarrassed I meant your ofcourse :)

I think the media circus paints the whole thing a lot darker than it really is. A lot of Americans are disgusted with the current situation. The bigoted minority have been given a voice but things will reverts to normality once Trump is gone.

I think the media circus paints the whole thing a lot darker than it really is. A lot of Americans are disgusted with the current situation. The bigoted minority have been given a voice but things will reverts to normality once Trump is gone.
I'm sure it will, but the fact the people of the United States actually voting a moron like Trump into the white house doesn't reflect well on them as a people imho. Even if the alternative, Hillary wasn't very appealing.

The thing that's mindboggling to me though, is the fact that out of an entire country of people, the final two candidates are a demented reality TV star and the slightly corrupt wife of a womanizing ex-president. I honestly have personal friends who would be better suited to running the government of the United States than Trump. how can anyone, let alone roughly half the country vote for this clown. I've been trying to understand it for the last year, but I just can't. It exceeds the capacity of my brain, like thinking about eternity, or the size of the Universe.

I'm sure it will, but the fact the people of the United States actually voting a moron like Trump into the white house doesn't reflect well on them as a people imho. Even if the alternative, Hillary wasn't very appealing.

The thing that's mindboggling to me though, is the fact that out of an entire country of people, the final two candidates are a demented reality TV star and the slightly corrupt wife of a womanizing ex-president. I honestly have personal friends who would be better suited to running the government of the United States than Trump. how can anyone, let alone roughly half the country vote for this clown. I've been trying to understand it for the last year, but I just can't. It exceeds the capacity of my brain, like thinking about eternity, or the size of the Universe.

:lol: You are not alone that is for sure.

And going from Obama to a man who epitomizes what is wrong with modern society is nothing short of a fecking tradegy. I'd weep for the state of your country, but I can't be arsed to care for it either way.

Good post.

As for the bolded part, I'd say that guns, healthcare, educational cost and Trump make most western countries morally superior, full stop.

Good post.

As for the bolded part, I'd say that guns, healthcare, educational cost and Trump make most western countries morally superior, full stop.

Agree on guns. Healthcare you could go either way TBH. The actual healthcare is outstanding but costs and the uninsured are an issue. Education it is really not much different than the UK. In State tuition is $7-8k a year but their are grants like bright futures.

Agree on guns. Healthcare you could go either way TBH. The actual healthcare is outstanding but costs and the uninsured are an issue. Education it is really not much different than the UK. In State tuition is $7-8k a year but their are grants like bright futures.

Tbf guns could go either way too. The actual guns are outstanding but accidents and shootings are an issue.

In Holland it's only 2k a year:wenger:

Okay, I'll get off my morally superior high horse.

long way down though..

Okay, okay, i'll stop.

long way down though..

Okay, okay, i'll stop.

I've never been to the doctor or hospital in the US, but don't doubt that healthcare in general is good. The fact that many can't go because they can't afford to be insured is kind of my point, though. The self proclaimed leader of the free world should provide healthcare for everyone, even if they're dead poor.

As for the education, then I didn't know that about the UK. Just googled it and it seems you're right, which is sad. Doesn't change my view, though.

Any person should be able to acces healthcare and education regardless of their financial status, imo.

Last time I checked college was free here in the UK. University isn't of course.

Healthcare isn't comparable at all as nobody has to pay for it here. Yes those that pay in the States might get amazing care but there are millions who are uninsured and millions without access to healthcare and millions more who go bankrupt because of medical bills because of a for profit healthcare system.

That's not comparable. That's inhumane.

Last time I checked college was free here in the UK. University isn't of course.

Healthcare isn't comparable at all as nobody has to pay for it here. Yes those that pay in the States might get amazing care but there are millions who are uninsured and millions without access to healthcare and millions more who go bankrupt because of medical bills because of a for profit healthcare system.

yeah i have a friend who has bad burns and had no insurance - she has to pay for painkillers - inhumane is the word

It must be like Bernard Black doing his tax returns.

long way down though..

Okay, okay, i'll stop.

Like I said there are grants. My son received $2,400 per year form bright futures (State scholarship, and about $1,500 form private grants he applied for. You also have to factor in the fact that incomes are 30-40% higher in the US once you hit the work force, and taxation is lower.

College = University. Kids here stay in high school until 18 then go straight to college.

On healthcare I am not disagreeing the uninsured is a big issue. However no one goes without emergency healthcare. My wife has worked ER and maternity and they are legally required to treat all patient that come through the door.

College = University. Kids here stay in high school until 18 then go straight to college.

Yes I know. But we have college that is completely free and then University that can be paid for.

You can get almost any qualification you need at a college here and It's free for anyone under 21 years of age or for the unemployed.

Yes I know. But we have college that is completely free and then University that can be paid for.

You can get almost any qualification you need at a college here and It's free for anyone under 21 years of age or for the unemployed.

They have community college over here which is a lower level than University. You can get other qualifications or do some of your University courses there. Its a much cheaper option than University plus its local so kids can stay at home. The US system is not perfect but it works. If you're are savvy it can be worked to your benefit. Trust me I have spent many hours doing the ground work for my sons journey through the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.