The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.
:lol: Give me a fecking break. Its exactly the same in the UK. Politics is basically partisan in most countries.

That notion that you're morally or intellectually superior might make you feel better but its a million miles from reality.

I'm in New Zealand. Currently under a 3 party bi-partisan coalition. So wind your neck in on that front and you'll get that break you were after.

America absolutely has a deep rooted set of idiots that vote based on red vs blue rather than on policy.

It's just nothing like 34-40% of each party though. That was my point.

:lol: Give me a fecking break. Its exactly the same in the UK. Politics is basically partisan in most countries.

That notion that you're morally or intellectually superior might make you feel better but its a million miles from reality.

We have our fair share of morons over here as well but we're nowhere near as extreme as having someone like Trump. Most Tories would probably fall into the category of being very conservative Dems on most issues, with a few hardliners coming close to being your more moderate Republican types. Most people I encounter who're even fairly anti-immigrant/right-wing in their political thinking despair at Trump and think his policies on gun control etc are that of an absolute mentalist.

Except it wasn’t, was it. Not really. I disliked Hillary for years for being an old-school fairly corrupt politico with a family penchant for holding grudges and taking political revenge in enemies (and of course the little sorties into racism when it suited), but she was no more vile than at least three quarters of congress. If she’d been elected it would have basically been 8 more years of Obama.

But no, decades of right wing smears finally paid off and even many sensible people started seeing this moderate Democrat as some reincarnation of Satan. It beggars belief, it really does. Probably the only way you’d have hated a Hillary presidency is if you hate the Democrats policies.

I think it was somewhere in the middle. Hilary was a poor candidate...largely there because of other connections, someone who clearly couldn't connect to a lot of down and out voters, and who didn't really understand or address the problems a lot of people faced in certain key areas. Passages from her book have highlighted her to be someone lacking in self-awareness and who really wasn't an intellectual heavyweight or containing any interesting or unique ideas that'd develop on the Obama era and improve key policies like Obamacare.

But at the same time she was pretty much representative of a lot of Dems, and the smear element was effective insofar as I remember a lot of people saying how she'd be one of the most 'corrupt' Presidents of all time when to a significant extent she was probably just a less suave Obama, and certainly containing less skeletons in her closet than other past Presidents.

We have our fair share of morons over here as well but we're nowhere near as extreme as having someone like Trump. Most Tories would probably fall into the category of being very conservative Dems on most issues, with a few hardliners coming close to being your more moderate Republican types. Most people I encounter who're even fairly anti-immigrant/right-wing in their political thinking despair at Trump and think his policies on gun control etc are that of an absolute mentalist.

See my previous post. They are not necessarily the polices he wants but if he wants any chance of re-election he has to tow that line.

If I were Trump I would burn my bridges and do some good and just stand down after four years.

See my previous post. They are not necessarily the polices he wants but if he wants any chance of re-election he has to tow that line.

If I were Trump I would burn my bridges and do some good and just stand down after four years.

He's an absolute mentalist in general though. Trying to portray him here as some moderate being forced to right isn't really a correct representation of him. He doesn't need to push for guns in schools either, I'd imagine his base is fine with him just keeping things the way they are right now.

For a lot of Americans it was though. My colleagues in 2016 were a liberal bunch but most weer completely conflicted voting for her.

Which just shows American is indeed worse than the UK. If you looked at Trump vs. Hillary and had any conflict about whom to vote for, you've got problems. America is indeed the most partisan country in the western world. It beggard belief how fecked that country is.

He's an absolute mentalist in general though. Trying to portray him here as some moderate being forced to right isn't really a correct representation of him. He doesn't need to push for guns in schools either, I'd imagine his base is fine with him just keeping things the way they are right now.

Indeed. It's feeding into the misconception that he is some kind of mastermind who had the perfect plan to get the presidency when in reality, he's just a dementia ridden git (not that he was ever a smart person before age got him) who got abused by several factions which want either American isolation or the destruction of American society as we know it.

Which just shows American is indeed worse than the UK. If you looked at Trump vs. Hillary and had any conflict about whom to vote for, you've got problems. America is indeed the most partisan country in the western world. It beggard belief how fecked that country is.

It wasn't on who to vote for it was being conflicted about voting at all. I think a lot of Democrat voters should didn't turn out.

Absolutely. Single Policy voters get my sympathy to some degree.

Why? The notion that a President Hillary would have in any way had the power to do anything against the 2nd amendment is mental. Abortion is largely an state issue anyway. It was clear as day she wouldn't get the house. Sorry, but not a reason. They are responsible for being dumb enough to believe Fox. No sympathy.

I think the US unquestionably has profound structural problems at the political level, to a far greater extent than most other advanced democracies.

You're in a position now where you're praying for two octogenarians to stay fit and healthy so that a narcissistic fool doesn't get to let extreme conservatives shape the highest court in the land for the next couple of decades. You've then got an electoral system that favours geography over people, leading to straightforwardly undemocratic results at every level. A political system driven by money and those who possess it. And a social chasm between areas of the country that can, essentially, be traced back to the mess the founders made on slavery.

I think the US unquestionably has profound structural problems at the political level, to a far greater extent than most other advanced democracies.

You're in a position now where you're praying for two octogenarians to stay fit and healthy so that a narcissistic fool doesn't get to let extreme conservatives shape the highest court in the land for the next couple of decades. You've then got an electoral system that favours geography over people, leading to straightforwardly undemocratic results at every level. A political system driven by money and those who possess it. And a social chasm between areas of the country that can, essentially, be traced back to the mess the founders made on slavery.

I partly wonder if the Jim Crow laws had a bigger long-term effect than slavery itself. While I'd imagine the US tolerated slavery for a longer period of time than most other nations, plenty of major powers now were in historically retrospective poor states when it came to race relations/other significant issues in the 19th Century. The issue was that while the US did abolish slavery, they failed to root out that systematic discrimination towards African American minorities afterwards to the point where there are still plenty of people alive now who remember when it was seen as acceptable and okay to discriminate against them. And again...while many other countries were pretty poor on race going back a half-century or so, I'd imagine the US was the worst of the lot in that regard.

I partly wonder if the Jim Crow laws had a bigger long-term effect than slavery itself. While I'd imagine the US tolerated slavery for a longer period of time than most other nations, plenty of major powers now were in historically retrospective poor states when it came to race relations/other significant issues in the 19th Century. The issue was that while the US did abolish slavery, they failed to root out that systematic discrimination towards African American minorities afterwards to the point where there are still plenty of people alive now who remember when it was seen as acceptable and okay to discriminate against them. And again...while many other countries were pretty poor on race going back a half-century or so, I'd imagine the US was the worst of the lot in that regard.
This, I think, is the basis of acclaimed documentary 13th.

That's probably over-extending it because: the country wasn't even its present geography at the founding, and in most countries in the world development varies regionally, especially the almost universal urban x rural difference.

They were unquestionably part of the chain of events, but I maintain it began with how the founders dealt with the issue - namely, for the Union to survive its conception, they felt they had to let the southern states have their way on it for the time being, forever kicking the issue into the long grass. That directly led to the Southern economy being wholesale reliant on the practice (to an even greater extent in the 1860s than the 1790s), embedding it further and further into the culture and the people. I can't say if there was a choice they could've made that would've worked out better in practical terms, but couldn't have been many that worked out worse. Franklin tried near the end of his life but was essentially shushed.

This is nonsense. If anything, politics is economic. People tend to support those who they feel will benefit them most. How do you explain massive shifts to Thatcher and Blair in the UK? The huge Reagan and Nixon landslides? People choose their sides but when necessary vote for what's best for them.

This is nonsense. If anything, politics is economic. People tend to support those who they feel will benefit them most. How do you explain massive shifts to Thatcher and Blair in the UK? The huge Reagan and Nixon landslides? People choose their sides but when necessary vote for what's best for them.

Exactly and that is exactly what happened with the last election and how Trump got elected.

Which bit? Partisan = a strong supporter of a party, cause, or person. That cause can be political or economic. Doesn't change the fact that in most two party elections 35-40% of votes cast are partisan and never really change.

UK voting history below shows you labour and conservatives have had 35-40% of the vote since the 1930s,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...ral_elections#/media/File:UK_popular_vote.svg

Which bit? Partisan = a strong supporter of a party, cause, or person. That cause can be political or economic. Doesn't change the fact that in most two party elections 35-40% of votes cast are partisan and never really change.

UK voting history below shows you labour and conservatives have had 35-40% of the vote since the 1930s,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...ral_elections#/media/File:UK_popular_vote.svg

Your claim was that people always vote along party lines.

but she speaks with a low voice so she's moderate

As I said before. She's a Trump clone just with tits and a nice smile. She's clearly highly educated and articulate, but equally as sly and devious which in my mind makes her more dangerous than Trump himself.

She's incredibly ambitious but I have seen her contradict herself and her position/beliefs too many times now. I honestly don't believe a word she says and the fact she is backing her dad on guns in classrooms only goes to show me how full of shit she really is.

I wish I had kept track of all the departments and programmes that Trump has shut down since taking office. Most of this stuff goes relatively unnoticed yet most of it is far more damaging than the more sensational stories being reported actually are.

As I said before. She's a Trump clone just with tits and a nice smile. She's clearly highly educated and articulate, but equally as sly and devious which in my mind makes her more dangerous than Trump himself.

She's incredibly ambitious but I have seen her contradict herself and her position/beliefs too many times now. I honestly don't believe a word she says and the fact she is backing her dad on guns in classrooms only goes to show me how full of shit she really is.

I will need to look at a few more 'interviews' become coming to your conclusion.

My claim was 35-40% will vote Dem and 35-40% will vote GOP the vast majority of the time. That leaves 20-30% that might swing or just abstain.

Your numbers are not even close.

At least 45% abstain as they have a voter turnout of 55%.

If we're ONLY talking about the 55% that do vote: You honestly believe that 80% of the votes are locked up tight? If that's the case the system is broken at it's very core.

27 Million people deciding the fate of 250 Million people sounds like a recipe for disaster. Oh... hang on....

Your numbers are not even close.

At least 45% abstain as they have a voter turnout of 55%.

If we're ONLY talking about the 55% that do vote: You honestly believe that 80% of the votes are locked up tight? If that's the case the system is broken at it's very core.

27 Million people deciding the fate of 250 Million people sounds like a recipe for disaster. Oh... hang on....

I was meaning 35-40% of the likely voters not total potential electorate. And yes the system is a little messed up for sure. Although it does seem to minimize long periods of one party in office which is a blessing.

Frustrating thing is the majority of the 40-45% that hardly ever vote would probably lean left.

I was meaning 35-40% of the likely voters not total potential electorate. And yes the system is a little messed up for sure. Although it does seem to minimize long periods of one party in office which is a blessing.

To be fair though, the options in America are: Evil Capitalists... or the Republican Party. It often feels like being asked if you want to be shot or stabbed. Has to be the closest pairing of political party in the developed world. There's not a single left of centre option.

The more I write and think about it, the more happy I am that I've enjoyed a better system every year since birth.

Ivanka seems to have upset someone somewhere as there are quite a few stories about her doing the rounds today. Insiders saying It's Kelly wanting her to leave the White House of her own accord.

Ivanka seems to have upset someone somewhere as there are quite a few stories about her doing the rounds today. Insiders saying It's Kelly wanting her to leave the White House of her own accord.

Fair enough. She can't have it both ways.

I really would love the entire Media to double down on this. If they could just ask her every single time that would be grand.

On one hand it's distasteful. But on the other it's justifiable.

FWIW - She handled most of the questions well I have to say.

FWIW - She handled most of the questions well I have to say.

That's why I said she's far more dangerous than Daddy is. Well educated, well spoken and thoughtful about her responses, but equally as sly and devious. You just know she has aspirations on becoming President as does Don Jr.

What a frightening thought, although no more than the nightmare we are living through at the moment.

I wish I had kept track of all the departments and programmes that Trump has shut down since taking office. Most of this stuff goes relatively unnoticed yet most of it is far more damaging than the more sensational stories being reported actually are.

You don't have to keep track pal, everything from to to bottom is fairly fecked up right now. Some are more at the breaking point than the rest but all are poorly managed all the same. I worry about State and EPA the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.