The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of words mean many things and do not have one strong, defined meaning.

Is the "war on drugs" not an actual war? Or the "war on disease" Or, as broached earlier, the race wars of the 60s? It seems to me you have set the one strong defined meaning of the word "war" to mean what you want it too and understand ie military, weapons etc etc That is not, according to any accepted authority on language, the single, strong, defined meaning.

This isn't a fight about donuts either. It's about human rights and the colour of people's skin. About whether they're going to get deported by a president who thinks brown people come from shitholes.

The war on drugs, was an actual war, because the US government actually waged war against the people who were involved in the drug trade. They killed them. They bombed them. They systematically hunted them. The war on disease, doesn't exactly fit, but, I would say it works because the intent is the destruction of the opposition. There was no race war in the 60's. There was a lot of racial tension. There was some conflict.

It isn't a race war, and Trump is a giant fecking twat who should never have been elected. When you use the word "war" to describe anything, you devalue the word. What are you going to call it if suddenly roving gangs of white people, and people other than white, start murdering each other? A race holocaust? A race apocalypse? Or is that still just a race war? When you start to call everything war, nothing starts to look like war. You can of course use the dictionary definition, but the dictionary definition as I have pointed out, doesn't necessarily contain the literal interpretation of war, it includes any widely used interpretation of the word. That doesn't make it the correct useage, it just means it is the most widely used ways the word is used. That is how a dictionary works, if you didn't know.

We could, as a society decide to use the word feck as a pronoun, and if enough people used it, it would be added to the dictionary as a pronoun. War has been used to describe any sort of confrontation, any sort of conflict, any sort of competition. That doesn't mean that everything you call a war, IS a war.

A race war IS a war, if it is actually a war. You cannot conflate tensions with war. Why? One denotes chaos, death, destruction, the other denotes opposition to or resistance against. There are racial tensions in the US, with enough provocation, they could boil into a race war, I suppose, though I doubt it. However, if there was an actual race war, things would be horrific, on a level you haven't even contemplated. You want to know what a race war is?

The Rwandan Genocide was a race war. That is what a race war looks like. You might say, "That's not a race war, the Hutu and the Tutsi are both black", except, that is not what they were taught by the Belgians, and not what they believed. They believed they were separate races, and the result was an actual, horrific, honest to god race war.

He's not as stupid as we all think he is. He knows how to distract while pulling the rug out from under you.

Doesn't he just, intentional or not these events always seem to coincide. Whilst people on both sides lap it up and consume his bullshit as entertainment the clown continues to juggle with one hand and lace his poison with the other.

He's not as stupid as we all think he is. He knows how to distract while pulling the rug out from under you.

Doesn't he just, intentional or not these events always seem to coincide. Whilst people on both sides lap it up and consume his bullshit as entertainment the clown continues to juggle with one hand and lace his poison with the other.

I've heard this before but think that's giving him far too much credit. When you combine the frequency with which he signs off regressive, ultra-conservative leglisation with the frequency of stupid/abhorrent stuff he say it's not exactly a massive coincidence that the two things often happen in close proximity to each other.

I've heard this before but think that's giving him far too much credit. When you combine the frequency with which he signs off regressive, ultra-conservative leglisation with the frequency of stupid/abhorrent stuff he say it's not exactly a massive coincidence that the two things often happen in close proximity to each other.
It's the interdimensional chess argument again, and it still makes no sense.

I did say intentional or not but it really doesn't matter as people are duped by the misdirection either way, his antics fill news time and makes it all about him all the time.

To be honest i think it is intentional, i think its behaviour typical of wealthy psychopaths who haven't grown past it as children. Children are fecking great at misdirection like that.

The war on drugs, was an actual war, because the US government actually waged war against the people who were involved in the drug trade. They killed them. They bombed them. They systematically hunted them. The war on disease, doesn't exactly fit, but, I would say it works because the intent is the destruction of the opposition. There was no race war in the 60's. There was a lot of racial tension. There was some conflict.

It isn't a race war, and Trump is a giant fecking twat who should never have been elected. When you use the word "war" to describe anything, you devalue the word. What are you going to call it if suddenly roving gangs of white people, and people other than white, start murdering each other? A race holocaust? A race apocalypse? Or is that still just a race war? When you start to call everything war, nothing starts to look like war. You can of course use the dictionary definition, but the dictionary definition as I have pointed out, doesn't necessarily contain the literal interpretation of war, it includes any widely used interpretation of the word. That doesn't make it the correct useage, it just means it is the most widely used ways the word is used. That is how a dictionary works, if you didn't know.

We could, as a society decide to use the word feck as a pronoun, and if enough people used it, it would be added to the dictionary as a pronoun. War has been used to describe any sort of confrontation, any sort of conflict, any sort of competition. That doesn't mean that everything you call a war, IS a war.

A race war IS a war, if it is actually a war. You cannot conflate tensions with war. Why? One denotes chaos, death, destruction, the other denotes opposition to or resistance against. There are racial tensions in the US, with enough provocation, they could boil into a race war, I suppose, though I doubt it. However, if there was an actual race war, things would be horrific, on a level you haven't even contemplated. You want to know what a race war is?

The Rwandan Genocide was a race war. That is what a race war looks like. You might say, "That's not a race war, the Hutu and the Tutsi are both black", except, that is not what they were taught by the Belgians, and not what they believed. They believed they were separate races, and the result was an actual, horrific, honest to god race war.

Let's just agree to differ on the definition of the term war as well as your bizarre interpretation of what a dictionary is.

Trump just made a quick exit after signing that bill to shouts of “Mr President are you a racist?” from the press.

Trump just made a quick exit after signing that bill to shouts of “Mr President are you a racist?” from the press.
"Those women are lying."

Wrong. His administratio isn't as stupid and they are using him as a distraction. I have serious doubt about his mental state at this point, so, really, don't overestimate him.
Ha! Yeah! Can't think of anyone else more suited to the rarely used phrase "Overestimate him at your peril".

Status
Not open for further replies.