The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.
How nice to be asked. Right Wing Snowflake is completely fair by the way, I get at least as hysterical as those ghastly editorials in the Guardian.

Honestly I'm struggling to find something Trump has done that I disagree with; I am pro-life, pro second amendment, terrified of radical Islam, in favour of less government intervention, want significantly lower taxes (especially corp taxes) and want less bureaucracy altogether.

I could do some pearl-clutching over his history with women and his crass remarks, but honestly, if someone recorded everything I said it would sound pretty damning! I also think he has given me more laughs than anyone in politics, perhaps even any stand-up comedian!

Genuinely don't care if there's anything in this whole Russia collusion story, probably trust Putin as much as Hillary - cut from the same cloth. Suspect there's nothing there beyond normal communication a pres-elect would have with most major nations.

Can you elaborate on this? I was unaware Hilary had killed journalists and political opponents and I was unaware that Putin had a charitable streak.

Can't be long before evra is complaining about being hounded out of this thread with all these facts being thrown at him.
To be fair no real attempt at Debate is made either. Dismissive fact dump and moving on to saying how self evidently wrong he is. No one is edified in any way.

How nice to be asked. Right Wing Snowflake is completely fair by the way, I get at least as hysterical as those ghastly editorials in the Guardian.

Honestly I'm struggling to find something Trump has done that I disagree with; I am pro-life, pro second amendment, terrified of radical Islam, in favour of less government intervention, want significantly lower taxes (especially corp taxes) and want less bureaucracy altogether.

I could do some pearl-clutching over his history with women and his crass remarks, but honestly, if someone recorded everything I said it would sound pretty damning! I also think he has given me more laughs than anyone in politics, perhaps even any stand-up comedian!

Genuinely don't care if there's anything in this whole Russia collusion story, probably trust Putin as much as Hillary - cut from the same cloth. Suspect there's nothing there beyond normal communication a pres-elect would have with most major nations.

Putin is that you? Welcome to the caf man!

Living in Belgium, I think that's misguided!

The biggest threat to the US is the Republican Party. And Americans are pretty misguided being more scared of radicalized Islamists than the average citizen with a medal condition walking into a classroom with high powered guns, killing their kids.

The biggest threat to the US is the Republican Party. And Americans are pretty misguided being more scared of radicalized Islamists than the average citizen with a medal condition walking into a classroom with high powered guns, killing their kids.
I love how the self-subjugation to terrorism seems to increase the further you get from the most likely targets.

Can you elaborate on this? I was unaware Hilary had killed journalists and political opponents and I was unaware that Putin had a charitable streak.
They think the Clintons have had people killed as well, not to mention Hillary giving all our uranium to Russia in exchange for campaign donations.

So what will everyone do or think if after this whole Russia investigation, they find no evidence of collusion?

Sit back and watch sex scandal accusations or the money laundering or obstructing justice.

So what will everyone do or think if after this whole Russia investigation, they find no evidence of collusion?

Just be satisfied with all the other charges.

At no point a free press is at the heart of democracy.

So the ability of the press to reach across the nation to criticise poor governance, hold leaders to account when they lie and to offer alternative informed opinion is not a key part of democracy...do me a favour.

So the ability of the press to reach across the nation to criticise poor governance, hold leaders to account when they lie and to offer alternative informed opinion is not a key part of democracy...do me a favour.
Punctuation, lads.

@evra would it be reasonable to consider that if you’re far right on the spectrum, that a supposed centrist news source like CNN will seem extremely liberal?

And does it matter to you that Trump, despite his political policies, is making an awful representation of the US to the rest of the world, bar Russia?

The guy is wearing the pin of one of the most notorious waffen-SS divisions regarding war crimes, not just against Jews, but Slavs in eastern europe as well and other ethnic groups, and he wonders why people think he is retarded.

Wow. Birds of a feather and all that.

I'm not sure what you expect. The guy has all but said he is in favor of the USA declining more into poverty and despair for most of its citizens than it already has. If you've lived in any other western democracy and the United States for any length of time, and you've traveled significantly in the US, you know exactly what I am talking about. Cross the border from the US into Canada, and it's like you've crossed from some dystopian future where everything is broken, dirty, and falling apart, to a modern, clean, everything looks nice paradise.

I'm not sure what you expect. The guy has all but said he is in favor of the USA declining more into poverty and despair for most of its citizens than it already has. If you've lived in any other western democracy and the United States for any length of time, and you've traveled significantly in the US, you know exactly what I am talking about. Cross the border from the US into Canada, and it's like you've crossed from some dystopian future where everything is broken, dirty, and falling apart, to a modern, clean, everything looks nice paradise.

I do this regularly and don't really see much of a difference. Everything looks the same.

Right, but that was neither the sole, nor the primary reason their economy collapsed.

I would actually argue, that it was the primary reason it collapsed.

In fairness, it is a lot more complex than I portrayed it. Reagan wasn't really the cause, but rather he was the last phase of a 10-15 year long period in which Soviet military spending burdened the soviet economy to an extent that, when Reagan came to office, the Soviet economy collapsed.

The primary cause of this collapse, was, indeed, military spending. While accurate numbers over the % of GDP that the USSR spent are still non-existent, and at best we can guess at them, what isn't a guess, is that a disproportionate % of GDP was spent on military spending, especially in the late 70's during the Afghan war, in which the USSR spiked its military spending to sky-high levels. They did this for two primary reasons, one, the USSR had been lagging behind US spending, and the obvious reason, it was fighting a costly war it ultimately couldn't win. This relates directly to the credit levels that the Soviet economy had available to it. Since the Soviets had limited international credit, it could not do as the US did, which was borrow and negotiate new payment plans to service their debt levels.

I'd even argue that the USA has perhaps not escaped from the military spending of the cold war, and the trend in spending that was created by that arms race. It might take 50 years, or 70 years, but in the end the USSR might have the last laugh regarding the debt burden that the US spent itself into during the cold war.

I do this regularly and don't really see much of a difference. Everything looks the same.

Might depend on where you are crossing over from. If you're going from a wealthy city in the US, sure. Cross the border anywhere outside the I5 corridor on the west coast and it's a stark contrast. Likewise in Idaho, and all across the midwest.

This isn't really that controversial a concept. It's pretty much what is to be expected. You're talking about a system in Canada, where public funding funds everything, and the public budget is relatively robust, whereas in the US, many things are shunted to the city and county level, where there is scant funding. The county I live in, kids go to school 4 days a week, because they can't afford to pay the teachers for a 5 day work week.

Might depend on where you are crossing over from. If you're going from a wealthy city in the US, sure. Cross the border anywhere outside the I5 corridor on the west coast and it's a stark contrast. Likewise in Idaho, and all across the midwest.

I go through Detroit to Windsor and from Niagara Falls to Niagara Falls CA. The architecture is pretty similar. Just more Tim Hortons once you're on the Canadian side.

I go through Detroit to Windsor and from Niagara Falls to Niagara Falls CA. The architecture is pretty similar. Just more Tim Hortons once you're on the Canadian side.

I've been to Windsor, never Detroit, but I'd be shocked if Windsor was indistinguishable from Detroit, given the state of Detroit. I believe you regarding much of the East coast though, and the more highly developed urban areas. Those areas are going to most likely have the money for upkeep. Out west, outside of specific wealthy counties in each state, or in areas like the I5 corridor, many counties are dirt poor, especially along the border. There isn't a lot of commerce, tourism, or industry in these areas.

I would actually argue, that it was the primary reason it collapsed.

In fairness, it is a lot more complex than I portrayed it. Reagan wasn't really the cause, but rather he was the last phase of a 10-15 year long period in which Soviet military spending burdened the soviet economy to an extent that, when Reagan came to office, the Soviet economy collapsed.

The primary cause of this collapse, was, indeed, military spending. While accurate numbers over the % of GDP that the USSR spent are still non-existent, and at best we can guess at them, what isn't a guess, is that a disproportionate % of GDP was spent on military spending, especially in the late 70's during the Afghan war, in which the USSR spiked its military spending to sky-high levels. They did this for two primary reasons, one, the USSR had been lagging behind US spending, and the obvious reason, it was fighting a costly war it ultimately couldn't win. This relates directly to the credit levels that the Soviet economy had available to it. Since the Soviets had limited international credit, it could not do as the US did, which was borrow and negotiate new payment plans to service their debt levels.

I'd even argue that the USA has perhaps not escaped from the military spending of the cold war, and the trend in spending that was created by that arms race. It might take 50 years, or 70 years, but in the end the USSR might have the last laugh regarding the debt burden that the US spent itself into during the cold war.

Yeah, but its still an explanation that's a bit far from the most likely alternative realities. Because being debt financed requires accountability that lenders are willing to believe, which the USSR didn't have.

Not having access to credit is not some weird quirk, rather a feature of countries that choose to largely reject credit as a concept due to political ideology.

It also seems more relevant to me that estimates of productivity in the soviet economy show absolute stagnation from 1970-1989.

Status
Not open for further replies.