The Trump Presidency | Biden Inaugurated

Status
Not open for further replies.

This has to bring him down. IT HAS TO!

It’ll be all but forgotten in 2 weeks. A bullet point on the list of bullshit he’s done.

“The President” is just too damn powerful - or there just isn’t enough systems in place to regulate him.

It won't. The mother fecker is immune. Money is power

Of course it won't but I'm at the end of my tether with him now. After over 2 years of posting his shit I think I've had enough now. This Is just too upsetting, too unbelievable and just too damn nasty to comprehend. People are dying, he's tried to cover up a shitty response from his administration, partly due to being vastly overstretched and underprepared and huge cuts to the departments responsible for disaster relief management. On top of that he has just gone all out against the one woman who has publically begged for help for her citizens AND he has also told everyone that what they are seeing and reading is FAKE NEWS and that the press are only hindering help and reporting against him. He's yet again made something all about him just like he did with the NFL last week and every single thing he has done on an almost daily basis since he announced he was running for office.

It's just too much now. Anyone with any hint of intelligence should be able to see through this cnut and the fact he is being allowed to do this, get away with this and to make such a mockery and joke out of the entire world just shows how wrong and fecked up everything really is at the moment. He's literally acting like he can do and say anything he likes and he's right.

Of course it won't but I'm at the end of my tether with him now. After over 2 years of posting his shit I think I've had enough now. This Is just too upsetting, too unbelievable and just too damn nasty to comprehend. People are dying, he's tried to cover up a shitty response from his administration, partly due to being vastly overstretched and underprepared and huge cuts to the departments responsible for disaster relief management. On top of that he has just gone all out against the one woman who has publically begged for help for her citizens AND he has also told everyone that what they are seeing and reading is FAKE NEWS and that the press are only hindering help and reporting against him. He's yet again made something all about him just like he did with the NFL last week and every single thing he has done on an almost daily basis since he announced he was running for office.

It's just too much now. Anyone with any hint of intelligence should be able to see through this cnut and the fact he is being allowed to do this, get away with this and to make such a mockery and joke out of the entire world just shows how wrong and fecked up everything really is at the moment. He's literally acting like he can do and say anything he likes and he's right.

Brother you're preaching to the choir.
Im all in

Berba, if not posting sanctimonious opinions by Greenwald about how he was right and everyone was wrong, you are back to your 'But Trump is not different from any other president dude' nonsense.

Yes I am.
Now explain why Bush's handling of Katrina was substantially better than Trump's here. Or why condemning Trump means wanting a return to "normal", when the normal itself was barbaric.

To the people soaking wet in pools of dirty rubble praying someone comes to help, DON’T BELIEVE IT ITS A LIE!!

To the people soaking wet in pools of dirty rubble praying someone comes to help, DON’T BELIEVE IT ITS A LIE!!

Exactly, but Trump isn't speaking to them, he doesn't give a shit about them, all he cares about is optics and himself. He's speaking to his brainwashed base who will believe anything he says and nothing anyone else says. That's why I said earlier it's really up to Fox News now, they have a massive responsibility to report the truth. I'm gutted it's not a SKY TV channel anymore, i'd love to see how they were handling it. (I cba to stream it online)

I'd like to see what would happen at international sporting events if opposition fans took the knee during the US national anthem.

Lewis Hamilton for example has suggested he might for the US Grand Prix. Could potentially send a strong international msg to the Trump-in-Chief.

Pence is interesting since he's a mainstream Republican and a member of this administration. To see how smooth the road is between former and present govts:

Before we delve into Pence’s role, what’s important to remember about Hurricane Katrina is that, though it is usually described as a “natural disaster”, there was nothing natural about the way it affected the city of New Orleans. When Katrina hit the coast of Mississippi in August 2005, it had been downgraded from a category 5 to a still-devastating category 3 hurricane. But by the time it made its way to New Orleans, it had lost most of its strength and been downgraded again, to a “tropical storm”.

That’s relevant, because a tropical storm should never have broken through New Orleans’s flood defence. Katrina did break through, however, because the levees that protect the city did not hold. Why? We now know that despite repeated warnings about the risk, the army corps of engineers had allowed the levees to fall into a state of disrepair. That failure was the result of two main factors.

One was a specific disregard for the lives of poor black people, whose homes in the Lower Ninth Ward were left most vulnerable by the failure to fix the levees. ... The human systems of disaster response also failed – the second great fracturing. The arm of the federal government that is tasked with responding to moments of national crisis such as this is the Federal Emergency Management Agency (Fema), with state and municipal governments also playing key roles in evacuation planning and response. All levels of government failed.

It took Fema five days to get water and food to people in New Orleans who had sought emergency shelter in the Superdome. The most harrowing images from that time were of people stranded on rooftops – of homes and hospitals – holding up signs that said “HELP”, watching the helicopters pass them by. People helped each other as best they could. ... But at the official level, it was the complete opposite. I’ll always remember the words of Curtis Muhammad, a longtime New Orleans civil rights organiser, who said this experience “convinced us that we had no caretakers”.

The way this abandonment played out was deeply unequal, and the divisions cleaved along lines of race and class. Many people were able to leave the city on their own – they got into their cars, drove to a dry hotel, called their insurance brokers. Some people stayed because they believed the storm defences would hold. But a great many others stayed because they had no choice – they didn’t have a car, or were too infirm to drive, or simply didn’t know what to do. Those are the people who needed a functioning system of evacuation and relief – and they were out of luck.

Abandoned in the city without food or water, those in need did what anyone would do in those circumstances: they took provisions from local stores. Fox News and other media outlets seized on this to paint New Orleans’s black residents as dangerous “looters” who would soon be coming to invade the dry, white parts of the city and surrounding suburbs and towns. Buildings were spray-painted with messages: “Looters will be shot.”

Checkpoints were set up to trap people in the flooded parts of town. On Danziger Bridge, police officers shot black residents on sight (five of the officers involved ultimately pleaded guilty, and the city came to a $13.3m settlement with the families in that case and two other similar post-Katrina cases). Meanwhile, gangs of armed white vigilantes prowled the streets looking, as one resident later put it in an exposé by investigative journalist AC Thompson, for “the opportunity to hunt black people”.

I was in New Orleans during the flooding and I saw for myself how amped up the police and military were – not to mention private security guards from companies such as Blackwater who were showing up fresh from Iraq. It felt very much like a war zone, with poor and black people in the crosshairs – people whose only crime was trying to survive. By the time the National Guard arrived to organise a full evacuation of the city, it was done with a level of aggression and ruthlessness that was hard to fathom. Soldiers pointed machine guns at residents as they boarded buses, providing no information about where they were being taken. Children were often separated from their parents.

What I saw during the flooding shocked me. But what I saw in the aftermath of Katrina shocked me even more. With the city reeling, and with its residents dispersed across the country and unable to protect their own interests, a plan emerged to ram through a pro-corporate wishlist with maximum velocity. The famed free-market economist Milton Friedman, then 93 years old, wrote an article for the Wall Street Journal stating, “Most New Orleans schools are in ruins, as are the homes of the children who have attended them. The children are now scattered all over the country. This is a tragedy. It is also an opportunity to radically reform the educational system.”

In a similar vein, Richard Baker, at that time a Republican congressman from Louisiana, declared, “We finally cleaned up public housing in New Orleans. We couldn’t do it, but God did.” ... In the months after the storm, with New Orleans’s residents – and all their inconvenient opinions, rich culture and deep attachments – out of the way, thousands of public housing units, many of which had sustained minimal storm damage because they were on high ground, were demolished. They were replaced with condos and town houses priced far out of reach for most who had lived there.

At the time Katrina hit New Orleans, Pence was chairman of the powerful and highly ideological Republican Study Committee (RSC), a caucus of conservative lawmakers. On 13 September 2005 – just 15 days after the levees were breached, and with parts of New Orleans still under water – the RSC convened a fateful meeting at the offices of the Heritage Foundation in Washington DC. Under Pence’s leadership, the group came up with a list of “Pro-Free-Market Ideas for Responding to Hurricane Katrina and High Gas Prices” – 32 pseudo-relief policies in all, each one straight out of the disaster capitalism playbook.

What stands out is the commitment to wage all-out war on labour standards and the public sphere – which is bitterly ironic, because the failure of public infrastructure is what turned Katrina into a human catastrophe in the first place. Also notable is the determination to use any opportunity to strengthen the hand of the oil and gas industry. The list includes recommendations to suspend the obligation for federal contractors to pay a living wage; make the entire affected area a free-enterprise zone; and “repeal or waive restrictive environmental regulations … that hamper rebuilding”. In other words, a war on the kind of red tape designed to keep communities safe from harm.

President Bush adopted many of the recommendations within the week, although, under pressure, he was eventually forced to reinstate the labour standards.... Though climate scientists have directly linked the increased intensity of hurricanes to warming ocean temperatures, that didn’t stop Pence and his committee from calling on Congress to repeal environmental regulations on the Gulf coast, give permission for new oil refineries in the US, and green-light “drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge”.

@Raoul I gotta ask. Do you still think this isn't about race? Or that he isn't racist?

I think he's a more of a transactional demagogue who tells audiences what he thinks they want to hear in order to advance the two core objectives that drive him - power and self-aggrandizement.

He's also a student of the Roy Cohn school where you are encouraged to say audacious, frequently untrue things about various groups to gain favor with your target audience, including making hollow threats, tying them up in endless litigation, and never admitting you are wrong or apologizing for anything.

If he happened to run and win as a Dem, you can bet he would be employing identical tactics against people or groups he thinks are standing in his way. He's done it with everyone from Megyn Kelly to John McCain to Union leader Chuck Jones to Mr. Khan to the entire MSM to Mika Brzezinski to Ben Carson to Ted Cruz to Hillary Clinton. He attacks everyone who he thinks is an impediment to him advancing his two aforementioned objectives - power and self-aggrandizement.

Can you cherry pick out of his vast catalog of insults specific examples where he said or did things to offend specific racial groups ? Of course you can. But to single out just race would be to miss the bigger picture about why he behaves as he does towards all people.

I think he's a more of a transactional demagogue who tells audiences what he thinks they want to hear in order to advance the two core objectives that drive him - power and self-aggrandizement.

He's also a student of the Roy Cohn school where you are encouraged to say audacious, frequently untrue things about various groups to gain favor with your target audience, including making hollow threats, tying them up in endless litigation, and never admitting you are wrong or apologizing for anything.

If he happened to run and win as a Dem, you can bet he would be employing identical tactics against people or groups he thinks are standing in his way. He's done it with everyone from Megyn Kelly to John McCain to Union leader Chuck Jones to Mr. Khan to the entire MSM to Mika Brzezinski to Ben Carson to Ted Cruz to Hillary Clinton. He attacks everyone who he thinks is an impediment to him advancing his two aforementioned objectives - power and self-aggrandizement.

Can you cherry pick out of his vast catalog of insults specific examples where he said or did things to offend specific racial groups ? Of course you can. But to single out just race would be to miss the bigger picture about why he behaves as he does towards all people.
Good post.

I'm not singling it out, was under the impression that you didn't think he was racist or did racist things, correct me if I'm wrong. You were ignoring those claims before, stating that he wasn't racist and went so far as to accuse me of playing the race card when I disagreed.

At least you've decided to change your position, that's progress. I can see the bigger picture, I think everybody (apart from his base) can at this point it's pretty obvious.

Yes I am.
Now explain why Bush's handling of Katrina was substantially better than Trump's here. Or why condemning Trump means wanting a return to "normal", when the normal itself was barbaric.

THIS, while it's all wrong from a humanitarian perspecitve, it's the standard stance of Republican/Right Wing Politics. IE the individual is responsible for theirselves and the state shouldn't have to support them. That's their basic ideological stance. They believe the state shouldn't have to spend the peoples money on poor people and it's the poor people's own fault for their fate.

Trump pretending they're helping when they are just a little bit kind of glosses over any sympathy to those peoples cause. But it's pretty much standard GOP stance.

Well Fiddy's ex-bestie Pretty Boy Floyd is supporting Trump. Says no one ever said Trump was racist before he was elected so that's goto be true, nevermind ethnic minorities who couldn't lease his appartments and the innocent Central Park 5 he tried to encourage a lynching against.

Status
Not open for further replies.