SARS CoV-2 coronavirus / Covid-19 (No tin foil hat silliness please)

Lad I played football with on Monday has just told us that two of his relatives are in the ICU and his mum's positive. He's waiting on his result tomorrow.

I shouldn't be worried about this too, should I? :nervous:

Lad I played football with on Monday has just told us that two of his relatives are in the ICU and his mum's positive. He's waiting on his result tomorrow.

Do you like his relatives?

Do you like his relatives?
Didn't mean it that way! Of course I've already wished him all the best to his family, and hoping they're all okay ASAP.

Not close to him tbf, just someone who is part of the team I play with. The fact that we were outdoors makes me think the chances are minimal.

If he tests positive, I would be getting a test done if I was in your situation.

Senior people in the NHS have said for weeks that people are being triaged in ambulances because hospital space is so limited across different parts of the country. In some cases (like where I’m from) ambulances have turned up at hospitals that told them they were too full to take them because there was no alternative to provide the required care. That isn’t a case of hospitals screening people more thoroughly but a case of crisis management. It’s not a dramatisation of events designed for clicks but an accurate reflection of unusual circumstances that are becoming all too usual.
Like I said in my initial post the situation is bad. My point is mainly the use of photos in this instance is wrong. I was trying to be polite to the poster I replied to but doing this whole plucking anything covid related off twitter and posting it in here thing is not helpful. Posters should dig a little deeper into what they’re posting and make sure it’s from good sources.
Especially when I know for a fact that this photo of the Royal London supposedly proving that those ambulances are filled with covid patience is factually incorrect. I can tell you now with 100% certainty that the Royal London does not have ambulances full of covid patients queuing outside the hospital waiting for a bed. It didn’t last night and it doesn’t this morning.

And as for “this isn’t a case of hospitals screening more people thoroughly” again I can tell you this with 100% certainty this is happening. It’s been happening at every hospital for months on end and will have escalated even more in the last few weeks. I’ve attended various hospitals for work and non work related things over the last few months, in ambulances and on foot and there are delays.

Is there a list somewhere showing which areas are going into tier 4? (Specific not just ‘midlands’)

My partner just tested positive! We made the best decision ever to not allow her parents over for Christmas!

She’s been very under the weather, lost all smell and taste, had a bit of a cough, otherwise okay. I assume I got it too, I have had a bit of a fever and been extremely fatigued.

We have been isolating because we’re in tier 4 anyway, and the second she felt a bit unwell we made sure to not to out at all, very happy we can say we have contained the virus here.
Good luck buddy!

Ashworth also describes today's vaccine news as a "tremendous boost" but asks how many doses the UK has ready to go now.

Hancock replies that there are 530,000 across the UK that are available for deployment in the first week of January.

So it seems some way off the 2 million a week figure branded about. I doubt in the second week there will be that many

BBC: The areas going to tier four from Thursday are:
  • Leicester City
  • Leicestershire (Oadby and Wigston, Harborough, Hinckley and Bosworth, Blaby, Charnwood, North West Leicestershire, Melton)
  • Lincolnshire (City of Lincoln, Boston, South Kesteven, West Lindsey, North Kesteven, South Holland, East Lindsey)
  • Northamptonshire (Corby, Daventry, East Northamptonshire, Kettering, Northampton, South Northamptonshire, Wellingborough)
  • Derby and Derbyshire (Derby, Amber Valley, South Derbyshire, Bolsover, North East Derbyshire, Chesterfield, Erewash, Derbyshire Dales, High Peak)
  • Nottingham and Nottinghamshire (Gedling, Ashfield, Mansfield, Rushcliffe, Bassetlaw, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, Broxtowe)
  • Birmingham and Black Country (Dudley, Birmingham, Sandwell, Walsall, Wolverhampton)
  • Coventry
  • Solihull
  • Warwickshire (Rugby, Nuneaton and Bedworth, Warwick, North Warwickshire, Stratford-upon-Avon)
  • Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent (East Staffordshire, Stafford, South Staffordshire, Cannock Chase, Lichfield, Staffordshire Moorlands, Newcastle under Lyme, Tamworth, Stoke-on-Trent)
  • Lancashire (Burnley, Pendle, Blackburn with Darwen, Ribble Valley, Blackpool, Preston, Hyndburn, Chorley, Fylde, Lancaster, Rossendale, South Ribble, West Lancashire, Wyre)
  • Cheshire and Warrington (Cheshire East, Cheshire West and Chester, Warrington)
  • Cumbria (Eden, Carlisle, South Lakeland, Barrow-in-Furness, Copeland, Allerdale)
  • Greater Manchester (Bolton, Bury, Manchester, Oldham, Rochdale, Salford, Stockport, Tameside, Trafford, Wigan)
  • Tees Valley (Darlington, Hartlepool, Middlesbrough, Redcar and Cleveland, Stockton-on-Tees )
  • North East (County Durham, Gateshead, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, North Tyneside, Northumberland, South Tyneside, Sunderland)
  • Gloucestershire (Gloucester, Forest of Dean, Cotswolds, Tewkesbury, Stroud, Cheltenham)
  • Somerset Council (Mendip, Sedgemoor, Somerset West and Taunton, South Somerset)
  • Swindon
  • Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole
  • Isle of Wight
  • New Forest

How is Cornwall being moved to tier 3 when the rate is lower than when most places were tier 2?

It's not just the case rate. Theres a number of other criteria

Case rates in the over 60's
Case rates raising or falling
Positive cases relative to tests
Pressure on local NHS services

How is Cornwall being moved to tier 3 when the rate is lower than when most places were tier 2?

To do with care no? They dont have same hospital capacity that other areas have.

So it seems some way off the 2 million a week figure branded about. I doubt in the second week there will be that many

And is that doses given everyone needs two? The roll out of this is going to be painfully slow.

is that doses given everyone needs two? The roll out of this is going to be painfully slow.

I think they said on Oxford it's 1 dose with the second being up to 12 weeks later. Either way, it will be slow.

Hancock hasn't helped himself by saying several times today Spring looks good for 'freedom'

To do with care no? They dont have same hospital capacity that other areas have.

And is that doses given everyone needs two? The roll out of this is going to be painfully slow.
Think they have said that it will be going on into the early months of next year.

I think they said on Oxford it's 1 dose with the second being up to 12 weeks later. Either way, it will be slow.

Hancock hasn't helped himself by saying several times today Spring looks good for 'freedom'

Yep this lot learn nothing!

Absolute cnuts. I had a driving test booked for tomorrow which I needed to take because I'm moving.

Not expecting anybody to sympathise but ffs.

Last edited:
Think they have said that it will be going on into the early months of next year.

Yeah, a family member who works on ICU in manc just had her 1st dose and she reckons most of 2021 will be needed. I know as more and more get the vaccine things will slowly return to the new normal but not sure I can handle another year of this.

So basically the South has fecked everyone over. Nice one.

Shouldn't have been kept in 2 for so long. Absolutely ridiculous and now everyone is going to pay the price with this new lockdown marketed as 'tier 4' irrespective of their infection rates.

I think it’s more about what you could have done given the opportunity. His kids are safe now.

Appreciate the laugh because I'm fairly peeved right now. I had my original test booked in April which got rescheduled for October. Failed and had it booked in for this month.

I live in Leicester so this whole thing has been a calamity for me (much as it has been for everyone else of course but for us... ever so slightly longer).

I know people are dying and I agree restrictions are needed but still :(

Last edited: