Mikel Arteta | Lego Pep watch

They're competing for a title in the same way as we were under Jose or Ole...but also with a far better squad and basically 0 interest or ability to go far in the cups.

Ten Hag's first season - a cup, a final and third is better than any Arteta season

You're talking about the seasons where you finished 12 pts and 19 pts behind City and ended up 2nd because it was a poor league that year. We're not the same :)

Great coach, if the Arsenal board are smart they need to plan for getting in one of Dyche, Pulis or Neil Warnock for contuinity when he leaves
:-)
True but then again atleast we don't have a history of cheating and getting managers by brown envelopes

You're talking about the seasons where you finished 12 pts and 19 pts behind City and ended up 2nd because it was a poor league that year. We're not the same :)
Ole's season was a lot closer until that run of games where we had to play Liverpool, Leicester and two Europa semi legs and another tie in something like 9 days due to rescheduling. We fell off at the end but we were about 5 points behind til a long way in.

Bearing in mind all these managers we are talking about what they did in their first two years in a job, whereas we are talking about Arteta's last two years after 3 years of nothing (barring the FA Cup)

I honestly can’t think of any other team so completely giving up on the notion of scoring a goal after going a man down. The more you think about it, the weirder it seems. Obviously G Nev et al were too busy wanking themselves silly about defenders defending but my God that was a craven response to adversity. I remember Liverpool going down to 9 men and making a better fist of being competitive than what we witnessed today. What a strange spectacle it was.

I honestly can’t think of any other team so completely giving up on the notion of scoring a goal after going a man down. The more you think about it, the weirder it seems. Obviously G Nev et al were too busy wanking themselves silly about defenders defending but my God that was a craven response to adversity. I remember Liverpool going down to 9 men and making a better fist of being competitive than what we witnessed today. What a strange spectacle it was.
I mean they’d have taken a point but I tend to agree.

A real managerial masterclass would have been to set City up for a sucker punch 3rd on the break later on in the second half.

Arsenal just sat in.

A real managerial masterclass would have been to set City up for a sucker punch 3rd on the break later on in the second half.

Arsenal just sat in.
I actually agree but I don't think there's anyone other than Odegaard for those passes. Martinelli was gone by the 75th minute physically. Havertz normally excellent physically was no match for Kovacic or Walker. So anytime they got the ball it went nowhere.

I also wouldn't have minded Sterling coming on when we took Timber off. But I think the thinking was a point is better than 0 and every Arsenal fan would have taken 7/9 from Villa Spurs and City away. And despite our agreement on tactics we were so close.

Which makes us dropping garbage points at home time and again very strange. 10 clean sheets and out of 12/13 away games and no losses is good but the constant dropping clangers at home is where we lost the league last year too

City's depth is also insane. Kobacic for Rodri. Foden and Greaish off the bench. Oil helps I guess.

I actually agree but I don't think there's anyone other than Odegaard for those passes. Martinelli was gone by the 75th minute physically. Havertz normally excellent physically was no match for Kovacic or Walker. So anytime they got the ball it went nowhere.

I also wouldn't have minded Sterling coming on when we took Timber off. But I think the thinking was a point is better than 0 and every Arsenal fan would have taken 7/9 from Villa Spurs and City away. And despite our agreement on tactics we were so close.

Which makes us dropping garbage points at home time and again very strange. 10 clean sheets and out of 12/13 away games and no losses is good but the constant dropping clangers at home is where we lost the league last year too

City's depth is also insane. Kobacic for Rodri. Foden and Greaish off the bench. Oil helps I guess.
Yah good point RE Odegaard. Definitely a weak spot now he’s gone.

Good point though but not really a masterclass for me.

Arsenal just sat in.
Yes and that was a weird move. It is OK to sit back but to sit back with 12 percent possession is basically asking for trouble. I thought city were terrible and if arsenal were a bit bold and held on to the ball a bit better they would have won this. The moment they got the ball they hoofed it for no good reason.

Yes and that was a weird move. It is OK to sit back but to sit back with 12 percent possession is basically asking for trouble. I thought city were terrible and if arsenal were a bit bold and held on to the ball a bit better they would have won this. The moment they got the ball they hoofed it for no good reason.
Agreed.

It wasn’t some kind of revolutionary performance or amazing display from Arteta.

They made a pretty good fist of it to be fair given they were 30 seconds away from winning the game.

The context of this approach was
1. Arsenal were already winning the game so didn't need to score
2. They were playing maybe the best team in Europe
3. No one actually expected Arsenal to win the game at half time, the best Arsenal could realistically ever hope for is a draw. A win would be a minor miracle.

It's a bit pointless comparing games where teams going down to 10 men when they actually need to score, or when they're playing against teams that are nowhere as good as City.

It was basically Inter at the Nou Camp vs Barcelona in 2010, it wasn't that weird.

They made a pretty good fist of it to be fair given they were 30 seconds away from winning the game.

The context of this approach was
1. Arsenal were already winning the game so didn't need to score
2. They were playing maybe the best team in Europe
3. No one actually expected Arsenal to win the game at half time, the best Arsenal could realistically ever hope for is a draw. A win would be a minor miracle.

It's a bit pointless comparing games where teams going down to 10 men when they actually need to score, or when they're playing against teams that are nowhere as good as City.

It was basically Inter at the Nou Camp vs Barcelona in 2010, it wasn't that weird.

Reminding me of a similar performance, 14 years ago, from a team managed by one of the most negative shithouse managers in the history of football isn’t changing my mind about what I just said, to be honest.

I dislike the fecker but feck me, I rate him so highly as a coach. I honestly think he’s brilliant, as annoying as it is to say. Top coach.

Jeez. Has there been any other coach who has been hyped like arteta for achieving so little.
He is 42 years old and in direct competition with Pep and Klopp. I think its obvious to even a simpleton Arteta is going to win big trophies. So glad he is our manager and has no desire to leave

I just cannot buy them into winning the Premier League after 2022/23 season. They were top of the league for 248 days, 8pts clear of City at one point including 5 clear until April and then just completely shat themselves when pressure started to mount with just 3 wins in last 9. This also happened one season prior, whereby they bottled a CL spot by imploding in a spectacular fashion. I think as a young group, with a young manager they needed to get over the hump that season by finally winning the big one.

It is just hard to back them 2 years later with pretty much same group of players and same manager. If they had signed a talismanic striker, perhaps they would have had a chance. But, the way I see it, they will falter once reality of winning draws close.

He is 42 years old and in direct competition with Pep and Klopp. I think its obvious to even a simpleton Arteta is going to win big trophies. So glad he is our manager and has no desire to leave
He may win in the future but till then he has won very little to be compared to Klopp let alone Jose or Pep.

He may win in the future but till then he has won very little to be compared to Klopp let alone Jose or Pep.
He is 42 years old. No Arsenal fan is arguing Arteta has a legacy comparable to the best. However, in terms of ability, he is one of the best managers presently competing

He is 42 years old. No Arsenal fan is arguing Arteta has a legacy comparable to the best. However, in terms of ability, he is one of the best managers presently competing
My response was to the tactico guy who said arteta is the most complete manager alive, which is nonsense right now. There are other managers alive right now who are better than arteta right now. What may or may not happen in the future is not relevant. It is like someome saying Mainoo is the most complete midfielder alive right now and is going to be better than Vieira.

This man would field a team of CBs if he could. Arsenal bemoaning depth after Odegaard but playing 6 CBs and two DMs. Maybe stop buying CBs every summer?

Based off what? Hes improved Arsenal that can’t be debated, but he’s spent an absolute fortune and won feck all. The trophy he did win wasn’t even with his squad, he got rid of them.

Based off what? Hes improved Arsenal that can’t be debated, but he’s spent an absolute fortune and won feck all. The trophy he did win wasn’t even with his squad, he got rid of them.
Best thing about that, the player who won him that cup was apparently the problem.

Why? We were winning 1-2 at the time away. Why jeopardize that? The plan almost succeeded until the last minute.

How is 10% possession for 45+ mins a good plan to hold onto a lead?

We looked exhausted and martinelli was doing a job on the left side and trying to use his pace up top. Sadly he looked shattered. It's a case of where we didn't really have anyone available. Odegaard is the type of player we needed, and potentially a pacy option up top for a quick counter. We wont win the possession battle regardless. If we won the match, the narrative would be different.

How is 10% possession for 45+ mins a good plan to hold onto a lead?

There's not a 'correct' way to go about holding on to a lead Vs City. Teams rarely do it with 11 men away to City, never mind 10. Teams rarely have parity of possession with 11 men Vs City either, never mind with 10.

Different managers might try different things but generally the result tends to be the same, I remember a Klopp team going down to 10 at The Etihad 10 mins earlier and getting walloped 5-0. They did have 33% possession though so they can always hold onto that.

I agree it wasn't a managerial 'masterclass'. It was just setting up to defend the width of the box, and defend for your lives. Allow less dangerous players such as Dias and Akanji possession of the ball, encourage the wide players such as Doku and Savinho to come inside into traffic, and shut down the main creative dangers like Silva and Gundogan much quicker when they got possession.

And it was about 10 seconds away from working.

He's obviously a good manager but so easy to hate. Uses so many of the "dirty" tactics knowing that the officials are weak, yet complains when he doesn't get any call in his favour. Constantly out of his technical area trying to get involved by holding onto the ball when it's out of bounds or running down the sideline.

Arsenal are the Athletic Madrid of the Prem, using any tactic they can to get a result. It works but opposition fans will hate it.

I just can't take him seriously because of all the Brentesque stories that come out about him. Apparently he coined the term collaboratition for his players (collaboration and competition). Maybe he's a good manager but I'd love to see a regular behind the scenes sitcom about this guy.

He's obviously a good manager but so easy to hate. Uses so many of the "dirty" tactics knowing that the officials are weak, yet complains when he doesn't get any call in his favour. Constantly out of his technical area trying to get involved by holding onto the ball when it's out of bounds or running down the sideline.

Arsenal are the Athletic Madrid of the Prem, using any tactic they can to get a result. It works but opposition fans will hate it.
Spot on. Couldn’t have put it in a better way

Was very close to back to back away wins vs title rivals and wannabe rivals. Arsenal are improving every season

Arteta is very good (potentially great) coach. Yesterday however, it was surprising that they managed to take the lead because they were being dominated and scored twice against the run of play.
But his team also showed why they're actually the current best defensive unit, leaving no space inside their box. However i'm not convinced that deciding not to play at all and just sit very deep was the right decision. I think if City for example were the team down to 10 men, they would have played differently.

Haha, does the names Henry Norris and George Graham ring a bell? Maybe you should google your own history a bit.
Yes. It's Arsenal paying Mancini and City players money via fake consultancy jobs, shell companies and facing 115 charges.

Plastic club, soulless from its ground to its fans, only relevant because of corruption.

Worst comes to worst I have the satisfaction of knowing my club aren't cheats denying other teams trophies.

I despise Spurs, have a rivalry with United but I know they haven't cheated their way to trophies

Is there any videos or stuff about his tactic work and how he speaks about instructions?

He is obviously good but as others have said, the stories about him are comical at times. Ignoring when he thinks he is great at motivating with shit analogies, I imagine his tactic and instructions for the players is excellent so would be curious to see

Yes. It's Arsenal paying Mancini and City players money via fake consultancy jobs, shell companies and facing 115 charges.

Plastic club, soulless from its ground to its fans, only relevant because of corruption.

Worst comes to worst I have the satisfaction of knowing my club aren't cheats denying other teams trophies.

I despise Spurs, have a rivalry with United but I know they haven't cheated their way to trophies
So by that logic, your manager and idol is a cheater too, right?

You guys are just like Arteta, all mouth but spineless. Neither your manager nor your fans have the bottle for a race. We're 5 games in and your melting down after being gifted two goals by a referee.

Not cheats? Do you know how you guys got in the top division of football in the first place to never be relegated?
You literally had no right to be in it, you finished fifth in the 2nd division whilst being known as the Bank of England for your crazy financial spending and got voted in over more deserving clubs because of the "pull" of a certain Henry Norris MP. As a gunner I'd not expect you to know anything about your own club though. You were literally the City of your time.

Imagine Arteta, Jesus, Zinchenko, Sterling... thats a lot of cheats at your club too. No sympathy for them when they come up short yet again.