Michael Oliver

The problem with these yellow cards first and foremost is consistency. If you re going to do it...do it for all incidents. So far we are far from it. We are the most affected by far from it...but that leads me to the second point...

Our guys should learn by now not to do it. We are getting first half cards for this and there is no reason. It is putting us into trouble. We have definitely lost points doing it. This is becoming inexcusable. The refs are crappy and inconsistent, but this preventable.

Sensible post. Personally I don’t think players should get yellow cards for it. They are now adding the time at the end of the game so it doesn’t achieve anything.

But players know it’s being enforced this season so just don’t do it. Argument it’s cost Arsenal 4 pts this season which could be huge in the title race.

Sensible post. Personally I don’t think players should get yellow cards for it. They are now adding the time at the end of the game so it doesn’t achieve anything.

But players know it’s being enforced this season so just don’t do it. Argument it’s cost Arsenal 4 pts this season which could be huge in the title race.
It might have indeed cost us 4 points so far, so I dont want to see it from our players. Again, they are not the only ones doing it, but cut it out. Like you said, they are likely already adding time for it. It is not achieving anything, and we are officially losing players for it....so sort it out Mikel, because I figure this is likely coming from you!

How the F is he getting City games?
Especially City games against their closest challengers?

I remember the match against us last year when he was the VAR official, and he invented a penalty for them, 5 minutes after the incident, that wasn't punished at any other time during the season.

Even if it's just a genuine coincidence that he makes big inconsistent calls that help them out, it's ludicrous that he's allowed to officiate their matches given that he's as good as on the payroll.

I don’t think the alleged time gap is relevant. It’s been jumped on as an excuse.

As Paul Merson said, if he was just carrying on as normal and hadn’t heard the whistle/didn’t have time to stop… he’d have played a simple 15 yard pass to his left where Martinelli was in loads of space.

But he hoofed it aimlessly.

Only Trossard knows but I think it’s likely that he was starting the kick, heard the beginning of a whistle as he was kicking, and didn’t stop himself as he assumed - like everybody else on the planet - that Oliver was starting to blow for time. It was more than a full minute past six minutes at that point without any meaningful stoppage to add more during stoppage time.

He’s getting City games, yet an independent regulator is a bad idea? Someone needs to stop shit like this. An appointment like this should cause riots really. It doesnt get much more in front of your nose than this.

Same ref that failed to send Kovacic off for two back to back awful tackles vs Arsenal last season. I totally understand Arsenal fans calling him a corrupt cnut.

There's enough evidence to suggest he shouldn't be anywhere near City games.

It's nowt short of a disgrace.

Should’ve been demoted to the EFL as soon as that pic of him in a Newcastle shirt came to light.

The fact he’s literally paid by city’s owners is the icing on the cake.

There is no football conspiracy that is more plausible than Michael Oliver being influenced to benefit City.

In a sport of madness and built in fan outrage, more meat gets added to this every single time he's involved in a city match there is just no way in my mind that he hasn't been swayed either directly or indirectly by the VIP cash cow junkets abroad

I remember the match against us last year when he was the VAR official, and he invented a penalty for them, 5 minutes after the incident, that wasn't punished at any other time during the season.

Even if it's just a genuine coincidence that he makes big inconsistent calls that help them out, it's ludicrous that he's allowed to officiate their matches given that he's as good as on the payroll.
He also red carded Dalot for 'double dissent'.

He is utterly shit as a ref

Don't forget He probably gifted Arsenal's first goal as well by asking Walker to come over and then restarting the game way too early. That is why Martinelli gets that pass.

Don't forget He probably gifted Arsenal's first goal as well by asking Walker to come over and then restarting the game way too early. That is why Martinelli gets that pass.
Walker had plenty of time to get back in position, but slowly jogged back when he should’ve been alert.

Agree, should never call him over and then restart play with him out of position. Arsenal second goal also should be disallowed for a foul on Ederson.

He also red carded Dalot for 'double dissent'.

He is utterly shit as a ref
Also sent off Di Maria for grabbing his shirt in the same season (I think) that he let Joe Hart headbutt him

He’s never sent a player off against United since 2011 either. Only 1 penalty for us in all that time. I know you’re a Goon, but he’s very clearly bias towards the clubs he likes

Agree, should never call him over and then restart play with him out of position. Arsenal second goal also should be disallowed for a foul on Ederson.

Never in a million years is the second one a foul

Same ref that failed to send Kovacic off for two back to back awful tackles vs Arsenal last season. I totally understand Arsenal fans calling him a corrupt cnut.

Yup and last week he was at Anfield, Szoboslai blatantly booted the ball away well after a whistle while on a yellow, and Oliver didn’t book him.

Refereeing is hard, I’ve got a lot of sympathy for guys who really struggle to get it right. But you can’t have these kinds of double standards on simple things like booking for kicking a ball after the whistle. And when your double standards seem to largely benefit the club whose owners are topping off your wages with 20k per match bonus junkets to the UAE, it’s not a good look.

The first goal, I have no sympathy for Walker. He had time to get back but didnt realize he had to track back for some reason. He was at best jogging for a bit. The second one is more questionable. I dont think it would make a difference but Martinelli is impeding a bit there.. Really, in a game like this, you would hope the ref just talks to the player and gives him a stern warning in the Trossard case. To upend a game of this potential magnitude for this call is silly and petty at best. Instead he made himself the focal point. I miss the days when we barely knew the referee names. I dont know if he is corrupt, I would probably not go that far, but Oliver is an idiot.

I don’t think he’s corrupt I think he’s just inconsistent and shite - like the rest of them.

Every fan of every club can point out decisions that have went against them.

He turned the game into a farce today, I thought. He made tonnes of errors in consistency, but I thought City and Arsenal players were pathetic as well. All trying to con the ref at varying points and he just didn't have a handle on any of it.

Never understood the focus on what game it is. It doesn't matter. The laws of the game aren't supposed to be subjective based on whatever cnuts are playing.

Michael Oliver is a shit referee, always has been and always will be. I'm surprised he, and everyone else, gets away with officiating matches in UAE given the obvious ties to clubs in the Premier League. It's a decent carrot to fly around on business class, live in luxury hotels, and referee matches for high fees. If he wants to referee in the UAE, then just feck off to the UAE. When you allow your referees to do this type of work, you open a can of worms in terms of how easy it is to pay them in order to influence them, not to mention the overall doubt it creates about their integrity. It's beyond stupid. Should've been shut down after last season

He turned the game into a farce today, I thought. He made tonnes of errors in consistency, but I thought City and Arsenal players were pathetic as well. All trying to con the ref at varying points and he just didn't have a handle on any of it.

Started about five seconds into the match with Rodri’s antics. Honestly have never seen that before, replays showed a bump from Havertz but nothing much.

Started about five seconds into the match with Rodri’s antics. Honestly have never seen that before, replays showed a bump from Havertz but nothing much.
Exactly - was an absolute nothing coming together. I even thought he was at it again from that corner. Felt slightly guilty after, but they were all at it, all game.

I don’t think he’s corrupt I think he’s just inconsistent and shite - like the rest of them.

He is corrupt. City owners pay him to ref games in dubai. There is a massive conflict of interest here.

Problem is he's off working for one clubs owners. He should be being called out constantly.

Are people still pretending that Trossard shouldn't have been sent off? He should have received a second yellow for the challenge on Silva already.

Oliver might be a shit ref, and shouldn't be reffing City games for obvious reasons, but he didn't really decide todays game. Trossatd did that by himself.

Adding time doesn't really help because players aren't kicking the ball away to run out the clock, pretty much every time they do it it's in a situation where their team needs to get back in defensive position and they don't want the other team to get the game going again quickly.

A booking is a good way of getting rid of it as it's probably the only way players are going to learn to leave the ball the feck alone. Personally I love it because it's been a huge pet peeve of mine for decades.

Adding time doesn't really help because players aren't kicking the ball away to run out the clock, pretty much every time they do it it's in a situation where their team needs to get back in defensive position and they don't want the other team to get the game going again quickly.

A booking is a good way of getting rid of it as it's probably the only way players are going to learn to leave the ball the feck alone. Personally I love it because it's been a huge pet peeve of mine for decades.
But should it be a second bookable offense that gets you kicked out? And then I am still not sure how much of a kick is allowed, because virtually every game i see the ball being knocked about after the whistle. Man City knocked the ball away a couple of times but got away with it...so how much is ok? And then what if the player legitimately could not hear the whistle? I would not kick players off the pitch for it. For one...and this is my main objection, it is hard to be consistent.

Are people still pretending that Trossard shouldn't have been sent off? He should have received a second yellow for the challenge on Silva already.

Oliver might be a shit ref, and shouldn't be reffing City games for obvious reasons, but he didn't really decide todays game. Trossatd did that by himself.
Except he let several similar challenges go in the first 45 and then decided to get tough. If it was for kicking the ball away then he enforces that selectively based on his last few games, if it was for the physical challenge then why single out that incident and not the others? He knew Trossard was on a yellow and the instant he had an excuse his dick got hard at the thought of making the game about himself and out came the red.

That’s true but that wasn’t the case today though. Bernado Silva was laying on ground wanting treatment, so there no delaying of the game in the strictest sense of the word because game was already stopped for Silva being hurt on the ground. Trossard is still an idiot and imo rightfully sent off because at this stage, the players know what happens when you kick it away, especially Arsenal players who went through this exact drama and controversy just a few weeks ago. The problem isn’t Trossard getting a red, it’s the inconsistency in not punishing other offenders for the same offence.

But should it be a second bookable offense that gets you kicked out? And then I am still not sure how much of a kick is allowed, because virtually every game i see the ball being knocked about after the whistle. Man City knocked the ball away a couple of times but got away with it...so how much is ok? And then what if the player legitimately could not hear the whistle? I would not kick players off the pitch for it. For one...and this is my main objection, it is hard to be consistent.

They solve this easily in handball. Any active play that isn't putting the ball in a dead position after the whistle is an infraction. Though in handball they have 2 minute sinbins.

That’s true but that wasn’t the case today though. Bernado Silva was laying on ground wanting treatment, so there no delaying of the game in the strictest sense of the word because game was already stopped for Silva being hurt on the ground. Trossard is still an idiot and imo rightfully sent off because at this stage, the players know what happens when you kick it away, especially Arsenal players who went through this exact drama and controversy just a few weeks ago. The problem isn’t Trossard getting a red, it’s the inconsistency in not punishing other offenders for the same offence.

He is the same guy Howerd defended saying he did not want to influence the game when it was City player that should have got a clear red.

He is Corrupt. I have no doubt. Zero.

I agree it's incredibly harsh as a 2nd yellow since that's always had a higher threshold than the 1st, but it's the same for taking your shirt off or standing in front of the ball to prevent a quick free kick. If you get a 2nd yellow for these things I think you deserve a red because you need to be really stupid to do something so easily avoidable when you know the punishment is a sending off.

Refs will of course have to give a bit of leeway with this rule and judge each situation as it happens but that's the case with every other decision they make as well so it should be....something.

Yea the only flaw with this rule as I can see it is that consistency is incredibly important and it's in the hands of the refs.