Michael Oliver

Corrupt or not, I see no justification for giving him city games when a large chunk of his income is determined by the city owner.

I mean that in itself is corrupt so the idea it isn't is quite strange.

There shouldn't even be a situation where officials can be employed/paid by the teams they are officiating, or owners of them.

This is like paying the police to work for you privately and then claiming it isn't corrupt when the same police officers are investigating whether you committed a crime. Of course its fecking corrupt.

I don't know why its so taboo to admit this in football. Its staring everyone in the face constantly. The rules change to or change when they apply to suit whoever has the bigger purse.

I mean that in itself is corrupt so the idea it isn't is quite strange.

There shouldn't even be a situation where officials can be employed/paid by the teams they are officiating, or owners of them.

This is like paying the police to work for you privately and then claiming it isn't corrupt when the same police officers are investigating whether you committed a crime. Of course its fecking corrupt.

I don't know why its so taboo to admit this in football. Its staring everyone in the face constantly. The rules change to or change when they apply to suit whoever has the bigger purse.
Agree this should be stopped asap.
In the context of just the game yesterday though, I thought arsenals first goal at least some of the blame has to be on Oliver and the second could easily have been ruled out too.
Once trossard was sent off (correctly in my view) the second half was almost impossible to referee due to arsenals “dark arts”. If 15 mins had been added on at the end it would have been explainable.
Also he is a demonstrably shit referee.

When they restarted play after the red, Oliver blew for full time literally four seconds after the restart. That one fact indicates that when Trossard kicked the ball it was at a point where Oliver was about to blow for time anyway. If he was thinking that there was a minute or 30 seconds left when Trossard kicked the ball, he would have played another minute or 30 seconds.

What Trossard had read Oliver’s mind and knew when he was going to blow ? Trossard is an experienced footballer if he didn’t know his barge into Silva was a fouls well then it’s time he retired. But be it 49 minutes or 49 seconds left Trossard, who had already been booked committed a foul and rather than his brain kicking into gear his boot kicked in.
I think if you've already wound up to kick and its a very loud stadium (everybody was roaring after the foul) its pretty easy in about a half second to not fully distinguish one blast from two. Again, I don't know what Trossard was thinking and overall it was a stupid play to give Oliver a decision to make. But there are multiple reasons why a good ref should give some leeway there and just blow for full time rather than making himself the main character.
The players we are advised have been told categorically if they delay the re start then this season they will get a yellow. Yes he did give Oliver a decision to make and would be rightfully criticised if he didn’t make the correct decision. Based on current interpretation of the laws there isn’t any reason why a yellow wouldn’t be given.
All this happened when the ball was in play so why would Oliver blow for ( half )time just to protect an Arsenal player who had clearly committed an offence? This is down to the player and not the ref
Michael Oliver was refereeing this game the previous week, with Szoboszlai on a booking already. What is the principle why he should not send off Szoboszlai here (who had much more time between the whistle and the kick) but should send off Trossard? You can't just be shaking the Magic 8 Ball and handing out reds sometimes but not others. And if your'e not capable of enforcing the rule consistently, then just don't send anybody off for this kind of foolishness that isn't dangerous and has zero impact on the match.

There is a fair degree of certainty that when Oliver and the assessor reviewed that Szoboszlai incident he no doubt was marked down / received negative feedback . Of course each ref should be consistent in their decision making but without doubt Trossard deserved the second yellow

Agree this should be stopped asap.
In the context of just the game yesterday though, I thought arsenals first goal at least some of the blame has to be on Oliver and the second could easily have been ruled out too.
Once trossard was sent off (correctly in my view) the second half was almost impossible to referee due to arsenals “dark arts”. If 15 mins had been added on at the end it would have been explainable.
Also he is a demonstrably shit referee.

Yeah I wouldn't disagree. To be honest I think the whining from both sides of the fence is really sad and petty with the individual decisions. If you commit a foul the opposition is supposed to have an advantage. If you get aught out of position as a result that's just tough really. Welcome to top level sport.

The red card...I mean it was harsh but Arsenal literally just had a player sent off for kicking the ball away about 2 weeks ago and were told it was the correct decision. Maybe just don't kick the fecking ball away when you're on a yellow card. Very easy. If you're a ref you must feel like you're dealing with babies sometimes.

Its the system that I have issue with .
- Referees being paid huge money on the side by people with vested interest in who wins. VERY obviously corrupt or at best completely unethical and inviting corruption
- Referees writing books celebritising themselves, detailing decisions they got wrong on purpose to help out their mate or add to the drama of the occaision - VERY obviously corrupt. Quite literally as corrupt as a referee can possibly get without saying "I accept bribes" and then presenting all the evidence.
- Lack of any accountability in the system. Yes officials get reviewed and sometimes demoted, but the processes don't get reviewed. Standards don't get reviewed. E.g. in my job if there is something where members of the team are not being consistent, we have a meeting about it, al agree a way forward. Decision is always the same from this point on. Premier League officials either don't do this at all or all just completely ignore it when they do.
- Baffling use of VAR to change decisions there was nothing wrong with or invent things that never happened. In fairness seems to have at least become less frequent this season but we will see. The two years prior to this its been quite incredible at times.

The problem is as long as you have situations like the above it invites the question as to why a decision was wrong or why a debatable decision was made...and in some cases over recent seasons the decisions have been so bad its actually less reasonable they were by accident. They might have been but if they were, the level of incompetence is astounding and the question then becomes why nothing was done about it even after it happens multiple times.

When they restarted play after the red, Oliver blew for full time literally four seconds after the restart. That one fact indicates that when Trossard kicked the ball it was at a point where Oliver was about to blow for time anyway. If he was thinking that there was a minute or 30 seconds left when Trossard kicked the ball, he would have played another minute or 30 seconds.

I think if you've already wound up to kick and its a very loud stadium (everybody was roaring after the foul) its pretty easy in about a half second to not fully distinguish one blast from two. Again, I don't know what Trossard was thinking and overall it was a stupid play to give Oliver a decision to make. But there are multiple reasons why a good ref should give some leeway there and just blow for full time rather than making himself the main character.

Michael Oliver was refereeing this game the previous week, with Szoboszlai on a booking already. What is the principle why he should not send off Szoboszlai here (who had much more time between the whistle and the kick) but should send off Trossard? You can't just be shaking the Magic 8 Ball and handing out reds sometimes but not others. And if your'e not capable of enforcing the rule consistently, then just don't send anybody off for this kind of foolishness that isn't dangerous and has zero impact on the match.

Yeah, but if you look carefully, you'll notice that it's a Liverpool player playing at Anfield. Correct application of the rules as they stand.

Yeah I wouldn't disagree. To be honest I think the whining from both sides of the fence is really sad and petty with the individual decisions. If you commit a foul the opposition is supposed to have an advantage. If you get aught out of position as a result that's just tough really. Welcome to top level sport.

The red card...I mean it was harsh but Arsenal literally just had a player sent off for kicking the ball away about 2 weeks ago and were told it was the correct decision. Maybe just don't kick the fecking ball away when you're on a yellow card. Very easy. If you're a ref you must feel like you're dealing with babies sometimes.

- Referees being paid huge money on the side by people with vested interest in who wins. VERY obviously corrupt or at best completely unethical and inviting corruption
- Referees writing books celebritising themselves, detailing decisions they got wrong on purpose to help out their mate or add to the drama of the occaision - VERY obviously corrupt. Quite literally as corrupt as a referee can possibly get without saying "I accept bribes" and then presenting all the evidence.
- Lack of any accountability in the system. Yes officials get reviewed and sometimes demoted, but the processes don't get reviewed. Standards don't get reviewed. E.g. in my job if there is something where members of the team are not being consistent, we have a meeting about it, al agree a way forward. Decision is always the same from this point on. Premier League officials either don't do this at all or all just completely ignore it when they do.
- Baffling use of VAR to change decisions there was nothing wrong with or invent things that never happened. In fairness seems to have at least become less frequent this season but we will see. The two years prior to this its been quite incredible at times.

The problem is as long as you have situations like the above it invites the question as to why a decision was wrong or why a debatable decision was made...and in some cases over recent seasons the decisions have been so bad its actually less reasonable they were by accident. They might have been but if they were, the level of incompetence is astounding and the question then becomes why nothing was done about it even after it happens multiple times.

Agree completely on the conflict of interest. Refs make mistakes everyone knows that but even if they are honest ones if you are being paid by the team that benefits you’ll be called into question. That isn’t even mentioning the unconscious bias that might be present. It’s genuinely staggering that this is allowed to continue.
On the accountability question you have referees marking their own homework. Unacceptable in any other industry but apparently fine for football.
Then you have yes men like dermot Gallagher saying that all the decisions were correct when reviewing presumably because he doesn’t want to piss his mates off.
It’s a fecking mess.

Corrupt or not, I see no justification for giving him city games when a large chunk of his income is determined by the city owner.
I think you are right; I haven’t looked in detail at the details but on the face of it, sounds a bit off. On a very superficial level, I find it hard to like the man; just a visceral feeling from his expression and posture. He has the air of the fussy teacher no one likes much.

What Trossard had read Oliver’s mind and knew when he was going to blow ? Trossard is an experienced footballer if he didn’t know his barge into Silva was a fouls well then it’s time he retired. But be it 49 minutes or 49 seconds left Trossard, who had already been booked committed a foul and rather than his brain kicking into gear his boot kicked in.

The players we are advised have been told categorically if they delay the re start then this season they will get a yellow. Yes he did give Oliver a decision to make and would be rightfully criticised if he didn’t make the correct decision. Based on current interpretation of the laws there isn’t any reason why a yellow wouldn’t be given.
All this happened when the ball was in play so why would Oliver blow for ( half )time just to protect an Arsenal player who had clearly committed an offence? This is down to the player and not the ref

There is a fair degree of certainty that when Oliver and the assessor reviewed that Szoboszlai incident he no doubt was marked down / received negative feedback . Of course each ref should be consistent in their decision making but without doubt Trossard deserved the second yellow

He probably deserved a yellow for the first challenge, kicking the ball away was just the icing on the cake for the referee.

I'd love to see referees punishing every attempt to delay the restart with a yellow though, it's a blight on the game that's been allowed to fester. They've allowed players to get away with kicking the ball away, cynical fouls and diving for far long, it's just become an accepted part of the game and is now seen as being tactical and game management.

It's high time they put a stop to it.

They are separate actions and all PL official sources and claiming he was sent him off for delaying the restart.

If Oliver wasn't going to send him off for delaying the restart but then decided to do it because he also committed a foul that he wasn't going to send him for either, then that's terrible refereeing and against every guideline.
If you are on a yellow, you don't go barging in like that, and to boot the ball away afterwards is just taking the piss. You get yellows also for accumulation of offenses and in that moment Trossard was definitely merrily accumulating. It's a deserved second yellow, correct decision, no debate, and massively dumb from Trossard to get himself sent off needlessly.
BUT I am not going to argue with you about flagrant and horrible inconsistency going on in PL refereeing, nor am I going to deny that Oliver shouldn't be refereeing the PL when he also goes to referee for money in the UAE.

Great post.

I saw a video claiming Michael Oliver to be a Manchester City man:

- Last season: Gave City a clear off side goal against Fulham (watch video 7 posts above this one)
- Kovavic does not get a clear second yellow for a tackle from behind against Arsenal.
- Doku had a karakte kick on MacAllister in the box, no red card and no penalty.
- Grealish played handball in their box in the FA-cup semifinal last season, no penalty.
- Michael Oliver has given fewer yellow card to City than to any of the other top 8 clubs.
- Michael Oliver has never given a red card to a City player. He has been the ref in 47 City matches.
- Michael Oliver was paid 20.000 punds by Manchester City to ref a game in the UAE.

Last edited:
I saw a video claiming Michael Oliver to be a Manchester City man:

- Last season: Gave City a clear off side goal against Fulham
- Kovavic does not get a clear second yellow for a tackle from behind against Arsenal.
- Doku had a karakte kick on MacAllister in the box, no red card and no penalty.
- Grealish played handball in their box in the FA-cup semifinal last season, no penalty.
- Michael Oliver has given fewer yellow card to City than to any of the other top 8 clubs.
- Michael Oliver has never given a red card to a City player. He has been the ref in 47 City matches.
- Michael Oliver was paid 20.000 punds by Manchester City to ref a game in the UAE.
Still can't believe this is just allowed and nothing to see here, move on attitude.