Mason Mount England flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Although people are under rating his ability on here.....coul dsay similar about Juan Mata and though he was a great professinal he never set the world alight here and was a better player than Mount.
Mata was way better for Chelsea than Mount was and was way better than Mount here too so far.

If anything benefits my club, the team I support, I'd be delighted, why would I be devastated?

And again, you seem stuck in the past, I'm going by what Mount has done here, not as a Chelsea player.
The team you support involves supporting its players, which you're not doing. Mount has been a big game player in the CL two years in a row and Chelsea's POTY twice. You're basing your opinon on your feelings towards him as a player and not his actual qualities.

Mount has barely played for us and has been struggling with injuries for us. When he has been fit, he has had different roles and positions on the pitch, as opposed to his role for Chelsea. He hasn't even been allowed to get match rhythm which is extremely vital for a football player (see Amad Diallo). You can't just give a player 90 minutes and then say they didn't take their chances when they were given the opportunity.

I'm confident he will come good. Maybe not the first name on the sheet for every game, but he will be an important squad player for us at the very least. Just don't expect him to be the player that creates as many chances as Bruno Fernandes, because that is not his game.

Mata was way better for Chelsea than Mount was and was way better than Mount here too so far.

Yeah, Mata put up a 20 goal, 20 assist season at Chelsea, that's Lampard level. He was majestic with Chelsea. Tactics seemed to change in the EPL making him a bit of a luxury player and that hurt him at United, but yeah the guy had a much better career at United than Mount seems like he is going to have.

Yeah, Mata put up a 20 goal, 20 assist season at Chelsea, that's Lampard level. He was majestic with Chelsea. Tactics seemed to change in the EPL making him a bit of a luxury player and that hurt him at United, but yeah the guy had a much better career at United than Mount seems like he is going to have.
he was wonderful at valencia too - it was a period when i was watching a lot of games for some reason, maybe long holidays during college. he was one of the guys you knew would make something happen every week

The team you support involves supporting its players, which you're not doing. Mount has been a big game player in the CL two years in a row and Chelsea's POTY twice. You're basing your opinon on your feelings towards him as a player and not his actual qualities.

Mount has barely played for us and has been struggling with injuries for us. When he has been fit, he has had different roles and positions on the pitch, as opposed to his role for Chelsea. He hasn't even been allowed to get match rhythm which is extremely vital for a football player (see Amad Diallo). You can't just give a player 90 minutes and then say they didn't take their chances when they were given the opportunity.

I'm confident he will come good. Maybe not the first name on the sheet for every game, but he will be an important squad player for us at the very least. Just don't expect him to be the player that creates as many chances as Bruno Fernandes, because that is not his game.
This is nonsense. Fans will always call out underperforming players, players with certain expectations and standards demanded of them. Same thing with manager. We can't just be blindly supporting our players and manager when they're underperforming and not good enough.

Since you're insistent on using his Chelsea time, Mount was doing nothing for Chelsea in his last season there. Amad Diallo has nothing to do with Mason Mount, Amad is 22 and now finally getting some top flight experience.

This is nonsense. Fans will always call out underperforming players, players with certain expectations and standards demanded of them. Same thing with manager. We can't just be blindly supporting our players and manager when they're underperforming and not good enough.

Since you're insistent on using his Chelsea time, Mount was doing nothing for Chelsea in his last season there. Amad Diallo has nothing to do with Mason Mount, Amad is 22 and now finally getting some top flight experience.
You're insistent on shitting on him despite having played less than 600 PL minutes for us in various roles and in a disjointed system (last season). Klopp, Arteta and ten Hag didn't want him for no reason. He'll come good.

Yeah and the fact that we tried to play him like a out and out right winger for some reason.

From Sky Sports stats article.

The Second Spectrum data tracks players' movement on and off the ball and allows us to calculate pressing involvements. A counter-pressure is defined as a pressure that begins within two seconds of the opponent gaining the ball.

Mount counter-pressed Fulham on 23 occasions at Old Trafford on Friday evening, three more than any other player to feature in the Premier League on the opening weekend. That is a remarkable statistic given he was substituted soon after the hour mark.

crazy to think about how we need to strengthen the midfield, and i constantly forget he is a midfielder. Never even comes up in my mind as someone that can help strengthen our midfield.

crazy to think about how we need to strengthen the midfield, and i constantly forget he is a midfielder. Never even comes up in my mind as someone that can help strengthen our midfield.
He’s not really a central midfielder though. We have a few players who can play AM and he’s one of them.

From Sky Sports stats article.

He's clearly a pressing monster.

The issue is I'm not sure a system exists that allows him and Bruno to play together, along with us having enough final third threat AND midfield progression. Probably you'd need to go back to basically the Tuchel 343 that Mount thrived in, where he didn't have to be a main creator/goalscorer but did well in a more territory based Chelsea team where he could be an auxilary sort of attacker. It was the entire problem with signing him under the circumstances we did in the first place. Was evident even last weekend that unless him and Bruno are going to turn in purple patches of finishing form, that 4222 type setup will struggle to score enough goals because the nature of it means Bruno and Mount will get the majority of chances falling to them and be tasked with a lot of the shooting.

Mount obviously has very clear uses, but with our personnel and setup I don't think he ever is a part of our "best XI", but at the same time his qualities are vital to how Ten Hag seemingly wants to approach games.

He's clearly a pressing monster.

The issue is I'm not sure a system exists that allows him and Bruno to play together, along with us having enough final third threat AND midfield progression. Probably you'd need to go back to basically the Tuchel 343 that Mount thrived in, where he didn't have to be a main creator/goalscorer but did well in a more territory based Chelsea team where he could be an auxilary sort of attacker. It was the entire problem with signing him under the circumstances we did in the first place. Was evident even last weekend that unless him and Bruno are going to turn in purple patches of finishing form, that 4222 type setup will struggle to score enough goals because the nature of it means Bruno and Mount will get the majority of chances falling to them and be tasked with a lot of the shooting.

Mount obviously has very clear uses, but with our personnel and setup I don't think he ever is a part of our "best XI", but at the same time his qualities are vital to how Ten Hag seemingly wants to approach games.
The likes of Mount are a party trick at big clubs - the sort you wheel out for the big games maybe for his off-the-ball work, most domestic cup games and a handful of league games when the first XI need a rest. 20+ games per season.

My annoyance with the signing (and the same goes for others with the likes of Antony and so on) is the ridiculous cost/performance ratio. Financial outlay should be half.

Also am slightly bemused by the United fans who want us to be a possession-based team, dislike Bruno, and prefer for us not to go for an Ugarte-type DM, yet want Mount to start because he's a pressing machine. But he offers little else on it...

Not sure I agree. If we play Mount instead of Rashford it will give Bruno more freedom.

Not sure I agree. If we play Mount instead of Rashford it will give Bruno more freedom.
You then get 0 transitional threat or direct goal threat. Which can still work if the team is Man City and every player is at such a high technical and positional level off the ball than you suffocate teams with possession, but that’s clearly never something we’ll do.

The likes of Mount are a party trick at big clubs - the sort you wheel out for the big games maybe for his off-the-ball work, most domestic cup games and a handful of league games when the first XI need a rest. 20+ games per season.

My annoyance with the signing (and the same goes for others with the likes of Antony and so on) is the ridiculous cost/performance ratio. Financial outlay should be half.

Also am slightly bemused by the United fans who want us to be a possession-based team, dislike Bruno, and prefer for us not to go for an Ugarte-type DM, yet want Mount to start because he's a pressing machine. But he offers little else on it...
Agree with this. I even said at the time that my biggest issue with the Mount signing was the financial outlay and attention we gave to it meant he was our MARQUEE midfield signing that summer when it was plain obvious to anyone with decent footballing knowledge that he didn’t have a clear pathway to starting. Ten Hag bizarrely thought he could work as a true 8 which quickly was cast away and now he’s stuck as a Fred like utility player that’s wearing the 7 and is on huge wages who we signed for almost 60m on the last year of his deal.

Hopefully bringing in another DM means we can actually fecking rotate fully for lesser cup games etc this season at the minimum so Mount and others all play enough and stay fresh. If Ten Hag stays stubborn and we play our best XI every match it’ll all be pointless.

You then get 0 transitional threat or direct goal threat. Which can still work if the team is Man City and every player is at such a high technical and positional level off the ball than you suffocate teams with possession, but that’s clearly never something we’ll do.

Why? Garnacho or Rashford will probably play next to Mount. Hojlund might be up top.

After his substitution, Fulham cut us open time and time again. I think (hope) he could be a big positive this season if he stays fit.

Granted pressing is an important part of the game but I can’t really think of anything of note he did on the ball. (Should have scored though)

Granted pressing is an important part of the game but I can’t really think of anything of note he did on the ball. (Should have scored though)

Has he got enough gas to press like that and then do something once he gets the ball?

Maybe a bit less off the ball stuff and keep some energy for the really important stuff.

Dont disagree, was (maybe a lazy) comparison thathaving a great season two seasonsago at CHelsea doesnt mean success here and so far boh players very poor here incomparison to Chelsea form

That's because he didn't do anything. Rarely does. He's strictly an OOP crutch right now and I don't think our team around him is cohesive/creative/ruthless enough to be able to carry a player like that in our strongest XI.

If he can get back to full fitness and match rhythm I think he could become one of our most important players. He is such a massive massive upgrade on McT. He’s going to start scoring and assisting if he gets games and his workrate is clearly top tier.

Heard the nickname ‘private school park Ji Sung’ :lol:

I think he becomes an important player for us.

You're insistent on shitting on him despite having played less than 600 PL minutes for us in various roles and in a disjointed system (last season). Klopp, Arteta and ten Hag didn't want him for no reason. He'll come good.
I'm not shitting on him, I'm criticizing his subpar play and I've never been impressed with him, watching him play for United, Chelsea or England. But let's hope he comes good.

In what way? Up front McTominay does all the work Mount does, but also scores goals.
But neither has a primary role of being up front or scoring goals. Lumoxing forward and stumbling the ball into the net to get a late equaliser occasionally is great and all, but it doesn't excuse being so poor at your pimary function. Mount is a different calbire of player to McTominay. One presses and plays the ball quickly to keep the pace and momentum going. The other plays football like that Peter Kay ad from many moons ago where he dive-bombed into the pool; barging into everything, falling over, giving fouls away and looking like a complete liability. Occasionally scoring being enough to get game time despite all other deficiencies, is a symptom to how far we've fallen.

Brighton 2:1 Man Utd New
Mount off and we predictably got completely dominated by Brighton. Who in the world would have thought?

When he goes off, our press goes to shit and it's just last season's chaosball again.

The definition of a mediocre player that offer feck all. Sell him next summer, now it's too late.

The definition of a mediocre player that offer feck all. Sell him next summer, now it's too late.

I hope you’re joking. That’s two games he’s been taken off and we’ve gone to shit, he was our best attacker in the first half by a country mile.