Mason Mount England flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
The biggest problem is how do we start with both Bruno and Mount. This is why the transfer was so weird. Two players who are best in the same position.

We are not going to be a top team with them both starting.

Given how Rashford has been playing, would it really be to our detriment to just shift one of Bruno or Mount out to LW?

It's not either player's best position, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't give us more from there than Rashford currently is.

We are cleary much better at pressing with him currently, if anything he is the trigger man and his reading of what is happening is fantastic. His ability to get at people and just break it up was great but in the end that isn’t going to be good enough and we need him to do more on the ball when he gets on it.

Feels like we certainly miss Rasmus right now as he gives you the energy and press whilst also having the speed and strength to penetrate. Be interesting to see what happens when he comes back.

It'll be interesting watching him and Ugarte play together (if we finally get that transfer finished). The legs our midfield will have then should allow us to really overrun a lot of opposition teams, which would be a nice change to watching us get overrun constantly.

He is energetic and his pressing is good but was his ball retention and final ball this bad at Chelsea too?

I thought mount played well, the best presser in the team.
My issue is where does he play when we have a number 9 on the pitch and 2 wingers. Casamiro Mainoo Bruno midfield… where does mount fit in?

His pressing is a big plus but he needs to play instead of Bruno not with him. I think the experiment of playing them together will probably end though and he’ll be benched.

It doesn’t really make sense to have spent so much (and be paying such big wages) for someone who is a backup for a player who always plays. Shoe horning him into the team is not the answer.

Ten Hag:

It was a decision, he had some problems, he had an issue, so we know the history of Mason, so there are four weeks to come out. But I think, also, Joshua is coming better in, we are losing the game, and I think he had a good impact in the game.

Sounds more precautionary.

The biggest problem is how do we start with both Bruno and Mount. This is why the transfer was so weird. Two players who are best in the same position.

We don't. Mount should be back up to Bruno and Mainoo, the only reason he is starting with them right now is because we don't have a striker that is fit enough to start. Even with him as a back up there will still be enough games for him during the course of the season. We're looking at 55-60 games a season for top teams with the new EL and CL format so having quality in depth is a must for anyone who wants to compete.

His ball retention was quite good today. Only one misplaced pass. Certainly better than the other 3 attackers.

My issue is where does he play when we have a number 9 on the pitch and 2 wingers. Casamiro Mainoo Bruno midfield… where does mount fit in?
LW. Neither of our wingers (left or right) is a given starter anyway.

Take Bruno out. Play Mount as the attacking one of the three.

It's so obvious to see why he doesn't work in any sort of conventional set up for a team. He's not creative/sharp enough to be a true 10, and he doesn't have the passing range and brain to play as an 8, but he's also not a forward. Tuchel made it work playing him as a pseudo forward where he could just pick up the ball in the half spaces without being tasked with a ton of personal responsibility, but that was a very niche role in a team perfectly crafted around him so that he could thrive.

I've said it before but his best role at this club is probably being the attacking version of Fred: sub him on for energy and legs, give him the occassional start for specific tactical uses off the ball, but otherwise he's a role player. It's frustrating it's come down this for the #7 we paid 60m for but at this point I'd rather use him correctly than just cast him off for a huge loss.

Our pressing and how often we forced teams into errors has been very good so far this season and he's been a big part of that. Doesn't seem to do much else mind (goal threat, creativity, etc.)

Our pressing and how often we forced teams into errors has been very good so far this season and he's been a big part of that. Doesn't seem to do much else mind (goal threat, creativity, etc.)

I think he will start scoring and assisting soon once he gets fully up to speed. He’s a threat but he hasn’t developed chemistry yet with anyone in particular. I like him and think technically he’s good but he needs to get a move on and start getting back to his best or this could be his last season here

We certainly noticed the difference when he went off today.
Brighton were free to rapidly move the ball from the back, to deep into our half, within a two or three quick passes.
They were limited in being able to do this, during the 1st half.

Of course, our defensively weak and slow midfield allowed them to progress, once our high press had gone.

He's a single player in our squad who can press effectively. If he doesn't play we need to drop the high pressing approach, but then teams will come at us so I don't know really how to handle this.
It's so obvious to see why he doesn't work in any sort of conventional set up for a team. He's not creative/sharp enough to be a true 10, and he doesn't have the passing range and brain to play as an 8, but he's also not a forward. Tuchel made it work playing him as a pseudo forward where he could just pick up the ball in the half spaces without being tasked with a ton of personal responsibility, but that was a very niche role in a team perfectly crafted around him so that he could thrive.

I've said it before but his best role at this club is probably being the attacking version of Fred: sub him on for energy and legs, give him the occassional start for specific tactical uses off the ball, but otherwise he's a role player. It's frustrating it's come down this for the #7 we paid 60m for but at this point I'd rather use him correctly than just cast him off for a huge loss.
Agreed. And that was the correct way to use him from day one. Now with Mainoo on the stage, those 2 can work together only if Mount plays and Bruno is dropped. I think MM should be Mainoo / Bruno backup.

We played best football with Fred buzzing around Casemiro in ETHs first season so nothing wrong with that.

The problem is, this squad is not build to play any particular style of football.

He's a single player in our squad who can press effectively. If he doesn't play we need to drop the high pressing approach, but then teams will come at us so I don't know really how to handle this.

Agreed. And that was the correct way to use him from day one. Now with Mainoo on the stage, those 2 can work together only if Mount plays and Bruno is dropped. I think MM should be Mainoo / Bruno backup.

We played best football with Fred buzzing around Casemiro in ETHs first season so nothing wrong with that.

The problem is, this squad is not build to play any particular of football.
Which has been my entire issue with Ten Hag for almost a year and a half now. There’s never a clear idea of exactly WHAT we are trying to be. Do we want to thrash teams in transition? Press high and squeeze them out? Be more intricate in build up from the back? Because those are different styles and largely aren’t possible to combine together at the highest level even if you had the best players in the world.

The problem is, this squad is not build to play any particular style of football.
I feel like that is slowly changing. A strong defensive midfielder and a centre forward on a roll seem to be the missing elements right now and I can see both those things happening. I have faith in ETH getting us in good shape come Christmas if Ugarte can deliver .

Thought he was quite good today, but having Bruno and him in the same lineup (even know they're different players) feels like waste of a position.

A nothing player, just a plodder who runs around a lot.

I feel like that is slowly changing. A strong defensive midfielder and a centre forward on a roll seem to be the missing elements right now and I can see both those things happening. I have faith in ETH getting us in good shape come Christmas if Ugarte can deliver .
And what football do you think we're going to play?

For those people who think we have to start Mount for his "pressing", I'd love to hear them answer this question.

Currently the only way to get them in the same team and have Mount pressing from the front, is to play with no striker... Surely they don't think that's a long term solution to our teams problems?

The fact we only seem to have any control over games is to play 4 central midfielders, one of whom does nothing with the ball but is only there for pressing, is a sign of how much trouble we're in this season.

Did alright today and should start ahead of our wingers. Reckon he'd be useful against Salah. Our modern day Park Ji Sung.

Runs around a lot, works hard for the team, is crap on the ball.

He’s just a likeable version of Jesse Lingard. Just for £50 million & £250k a week.

Runs around a lot, works hard for the team, is crap on the ball.

He’s just a likeable version of Jesse Lingard. Just for £50 million & £250k a week.

Except he wasn't crap on the ball today. His work in possession and link-up play was good as well.

He is rubbish with the ball. His main task is to press, once we have the ball, he is doing nothing with it. He reminds me of Lindelöf, a defender that cannot defend. Mount, an attacking midfielder that does not create or score.

What is his average xG at United? 0.01?