Mason Mount England flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Elite pressing and as I said in the match day thread, so unlucky to be taken off when it should have been Bruno (who didn't have a pre-season and was shite in this game).

He's a good team player and very decent on the ball. People are rating him with a harsh and different lense imo and this comes from someone, who was very critical of his transfer last year.

I'm impressed with his technical qualities and general game intelligence.

We live and die by the Bruno sword. I for one want to see more of Mount ahead of Bruno, not necessarily permanently but at least rotation and when ending games.

Agreed with all that.
Agreed. I feel like we need two separate threads here, because the Mounties like what they see and the AntiMounties hate everything they see, and never the twain shall meet. I’d like to discuss his performances without half the lists saying he’s Lingard and VdB redux.

You are absolutely correct, Fulham started dominating once Mount was subbed out. Which kind of explains how important his off the ball work really is for the team's balance. It's not to say that he shouldn't do more, he definitely needs to do more and impose himself on the game, but he doesn't just run and work hard, he is a very intelligent footballer who lead the press exceptionally well and knows when to press and when not to.

Yep this is the right take. In a weird way if he worked less hard I think he can get his offensive play going more.

Happy to keep him around. Yet another tactical weapon for Ten Hag and his versatility will be very useful covering for Bruno, Zirkzee, Mainoo, RW, LW etc.

The price is distracting but player is very valuable to the managers tactics.

If the fans manage their expectations he could be this squads Park Ji Sung (my second fave United player after Ole)

Fergie would have loved him. Klopp would probably have maximized his potential.

He also needs to find a more clinical streak…but that also applies to our captain (Bruno) and “MVP” (Rashford)

Reactions: moses
I don’t know how he will be good for us. He will be one of the big earners we will be very hard to move.

He’s very tenacious, covers a lot of grass and presses well. Needs to show a bit more on the ball, but he obviously has qualities there. Not sure about his position in the team.

The price is distracting but player is very valuable to the managers tactics.

If the fans manage their expectations he could be this squads Park Ji Sung (my second fave United player after Ole)

Fergie would have loved him. Klopp would probably have maximized his potential.

He also needs to find a more clinical streak…but that also applies to our captain (Bruno) and “MVP” (Rashford)
This is a good post.

Feels like he could be a very useful squad player.

I've said this before but we will have a minimum of 50 games this season. Probably over 60 if we progress to the final of at least one cup. Mount is going to become very important for us.

Seems like he will polarise opinions a lot. I see his value off the ball, just not sure if he brings enough creativity as a Bruno replacement. Also 55M price tag and #7 jersey will always be a heavy curse for him.

I think he was great. But needs a goal for things to kick off.

We should only try it if there’s merit to it. Mount has a lot of improving to do before he’ll be anything but backup. You can’t carry a player that does so little in midfield.

Well the little he did in midfield was missed when he went off. We definitely looked more disorganised

Well the little he did in midfield was missed when he went off. We definitely looked more disorganised
He was replaced by an attacker so naturally you’d have less in midfield. You’d have more in midfield if you actually played a midfielder there though.

I’d play him wide instead of Rashford. I’m convinced that’s where we’d get the best out of him.

I’d play him wide instead of Rashford. I’m convinced that’s where we’d get the best out of him.
He’s not quick and he can’t dribble. What’s he going to do out wide apart from make us narrower? What he excels is that graph that’s shown above on this page. Nobody challenges a dribble like our fecking. Monster. No.7

He looks like Chelsea’s POTY two years on the bounce as he holds aloft his Champions League winner’s medal.
I know,
I wonder if some just watch Utd and none of the other Premier League games.

I'm well aware of what he's won.

I was asking the poster what an in form Mount looks like from a skilset point of view.

He's not a passing midfielder, nor is he someone who is going to dribble past players. Yes, I get that he's excellent off the ball, which really compliments the way ten Hag wants to play, but is it enough?

When all of our players are fit and in form, does he get into our team? The answer is, probably not, and whilst I understand it's a squad game and that we'll need all of our players, he's not even remotely similar to Bruno or Mainoo, in my opinion, which means our game slightly changes if Mount comes in for one of them.

I like Mount, and I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong, but I just think when people always talk about what a player brings off the ball, especially in the final third, it's because they haven't any attributes that stand out on it.

He was a key player in making the high press work against Fulham.

That isn’t going to be enough to impress the majority of fans.

But for me, I just want him to stay fit! He has played so little football in the last 18 months.

Seems like he will polarise opinions a lot. I see his value off the ball, just not sure if he brings enough creativity as a Bruno replacement. Also 55M price tag and #7 jersey will always be a heavy curse for him.

These are very good stats, but not what I'd be massively worried about for a number 10. Actually, if im judging an attacking midfielder, im looking at goals, assists, created chances, dribbles, etc. I guess this is why ten Hag sees him as more of an 8 than a 10. Maybe someone in the mould of Schone, who was an all rounded midfielder.

Him (and Ugarte) I think will prove to be very good system players. I'm OK with that.

Tactically he's very important. My fear is he's the type of player that will need goals - or at the very least assists - for those who can't understand anything useful a footballer could possibly do unless they're scoring goals or bagging assists.

He keeps the ball moving very quickly and is very efficient with his touches, not dwelling on the ball and killing momentum.

Tactically he's very important. My fear is he's the type of player that will need goals - or at the very least assists - for those who can't understand anything useful a footballer could possibly do unless they're scoring goals or bagging assists.

He keeps the ball moving very quickly and is very efficient with his touches, not dwelling on the ball and killing momentum.
If we start win streaks and playing well then people will be quieter.

Ten Hag picks the team, and so if he's that important to the way he sets up, then he'll be part of the team, irrespective of what fans think.

As usual, we have two extremes here. It was a hard working performance where his pressing was helpful. Certainly not worth slagging off. However, to paint it as a fantastic performance is just as strange.

Let’s give him a few more games.

These are very good stats, but not what I'd be massively worried about for a number 10. Actually, if im judging an attacking midfielder, im looking at goals, assists, created chances, dribbles, etc. I guess this is why ten Hag sees him as more of an 8 than a 10. Maybe someone in the mould of Schone, who was an all rounded midfielder.
His best attribute(pressing from the front, and organising the press), is lost when he plays as a deeper midfielder.

The important stats for an advanced midfielder were deliberately omitted because they're awful. Feel free to click on the image for the full view.

Frankly, Casemiro seems like a much better 8, and if Ugarte joins I wouldn't be surprised if he does better, too. At least he's more press resistant and shows for the ball to feet.. In the 10 position, I'd rather see Zirkzee and Mainoo have a go.

I thought we were well in control until he came off against Fulham, then it opened up a fair bit and they came into a lot more. Not saying Mount was particularly great or anything but his absence did feel noted to me.

In a different position I am sure he could become better. Plus it was a huge mistake to take the 7, he should have changed numbers by now

I thought we were well in control until he came off against Fulham, then it opened up a fair bit and they came into a lot more. Not saying Mount was particularly great or anything but his absence did feel noted to me.
With legs and engine available, he is a much better option than Eriksen. So if McTominay goes and Ugarte comes, it would be very beneficial to have Mount on the bench

He's definitely going to be polarizing. Some of the usual hyperbolic dross here though.

He has obvious strengths but needs to add more substance in the final 3rd. He's getting in some good positions, just needs the ball to go in, but need some more creativity from him.

Seems like a player that fits the system of what ETH wants in terms of pressing, and we lost control when he came off against Fulham.

Hope he starts again against Brighton.

The kind of organised, aggressive press we saw when he was on the pitch against Fulham will cause havoc against these if they're going to do their usual pissing around with it at the back.

Will start again vs Brighton. Was brilliant in the press and good with other aspects. Needs to add numbers to his game though, I'm sure it will come as his confidence builds.

Needs goals and assists added to his contribution asap.

£60m for someone like Eze gets you 10 goals / 10 assists, so Mount has to provide the goods.

I always feel he is the kind of player that would have been great in Klopp’s Midfield, he always seemed to like the hard working players with good technique. He’s not particularly great at anything but good at most things, one thing that I’m hopping to see more of are his late runs into the box which he did very well at Chelsea.

Even per XG, its not a good goal scoring opportunity. And I'm sorry but you don't get plus points for missing a good chance, which he did. Again, answer my question, if he's showing himself numerous times for the ball, why are his touches and passes so low? Its not like the guy can carry the ball either and we had 55% possession in the game.

Antony can also press and work hard for the team, standards have to be higher than that.

"You’ve got a strong bias"

The irony here. I'd be happy to be proven wrong and see Mount perform at a good level for this club but if he's validating my low opinion of him, that's on his performance level, not me.
I find it hilarious when posters always finish with "I'd love to be proven wrong" when in reality you'd be absolutely devastated.

Antony has never shown a high level in the league while Mount is a PL proven player who was Chelsea's best player in CL when they won it. Daft comparison.

He looks like Chelsea’s POTY two years on the bounce as he holds aloft his Champions League winner’s medal.
Although people are under rating his ability on here.....coul dsay similar about Juan Mata and though he was a great professinal he never set the world alight here and was a better player than Mount.

I always feel he is the kind of player that would have been great in Klopp’s Midfield, he always seemed to like the hard working players with good technique. He’s not particularly great at anything but good at most things, one thing that I’m hopping to see more of are his late runs into the box which he did very well at Chelsea.
Still seems a bit lightweight, he would be taking Wijnaldum's role, who participates in a lot of physical duels.

I find it hilarious when posters always finish with "I'd love to be proven wrong" when in reality you'd be absolutely devastated.

Antony has never shown a high level in the league while Mount is a PL proven player who was Chelsea's best player in CL when they won it. Daft comparison.
If anything benefits my club, the team I support, I'd be delighted, why would I be devastated?

And again, you seem stuck in the past, I'm going by what Mount has done here, not as a Chelsea player.