Mason Mount England flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
He's by far our best presser and his movement off the ball is top class, players like this are generally under appreciated by the fans but loved by the managers.

I think at Chelsea he had a bit more respect amongst the team and that meant they looked to involve him a lot more. At United he doesn’t have that and if nobody is linking up with him he’s anonymous. Totally anonymous.

I can see some thought process of playing him with Mainoo as they both blistering fast in making decisions... it's just he didn't play regular league football for more than a year.

My head hurts. We needed reinforcements anyway and the question mark could turn into elephant in the room in mid season.

Thought we looked more ragged when he went off, that Mainoo, Casemiro, Bruno midfield three can control it.

We may need to cut bait on Mount, a good player but someone who doesn't appear to have a particular strength we can leverage.

Not too bad for a guy who has missed so much football. Just needs to stay fit now and hopefully the class will show with time.

After he subbed off, our pressing in the middle is gone..
The combination of Mainoo, Casemiro, Bruno is not work defensively..

What's his best position? He's been here over a year and I still dont know.

I need to watch some highlights of Chelsea 20/21 to see what this guy can do as ive seen nothing put some half decent pressing since he arrived.

He is our best presser by a mile. Had a good chance, but keeper did well. More to come hopefully, but his strengths aren't on the ball.

I thought he had a lot of puff, but not a lot of cutting edge. Wasn't bad though, just needs to do more.

No amount of tactico counter pressing intangible “managers love it but layman armchair fan can’t appreciate” lark will impress me.

Every time he plays he routinely has the fewest touches of the ball and when he does get it it’s a lateral pass and he’s off with his movement somewhere else.

Once Zirkzee/Hojlund are up to fitness he shouldn’t be starting.

Not gonna happen here, but I can see him being decent in an already established side. Maybe a Musiala replacement someday.

The man has nitro in his ass.. Was all over the pitch. He definitely has to do more in possession, but was a big part of our press and best spell in the game. Was fine overall.

Pressed well. Got booked for a necessary tactical foul. Didn't do anything. Definitely does not work in today's system

Another one of the hard workers.

Chased shadows for most of his time on the pitch.

He is our best presser by a mile. Had a good chance, but keeper did well. More to come hopefully, but his strengths aren't on the ball.

Everyone saying the same thing… and I agree his off the ball pressing is great, as his movement to make space for others.

But can a top club with big aspirations really justify starting a player at 8, 9, or 10 who offers so little with the ball at his feet?

Not for me.

Useful squad option and not much else.

Our press dropped massively after he went off. He definitely has a role to play this season. He hasn't gotten the reps with the team, so he will improve when the relationships gets stronger on the pitch as well. Could've, maybe should've, had a goal. If he had gotten that no one would be complaining.

No amount of tactico counter pressing intangible “managers love it but layman armchair fan can’t appreciate” lark will impress me.

Every time he plays he routinely has the fewest touches of the ball and when he does get it it’s a lateral pass and he’s off with his movement somewhere else.

Once Zirkzee/Hojlund are up to fitness he shouldn’t be starting.

I tend to agree. It's great that he has so much stamina but he's not some duel winning monster and seems to not offer anything on the ball, his carrying was pretty shite today. I still think his best role is as a super sub (instead of McTominay) to add more energy at the 75th minute, with the occasional start against opposition where we'll see less of the ball.

Difficult balance to strike.

He presses well, which will come in handy in a few matches and I actually felt like he was getting on the ball a little more just before he came off. Was guilty off giving the ball away too easily at times though.

Elite pressing and as I said in the match day thread, so unlucky to be taken off when it should have been Bruno (who didn't have a pre-season and was shite in this game).

He's a good team player and very decent on the ball. People are rating him with a harsh and different lense imo and this comes from someone, who was very critical of his transfer last year.

I'm impressed with his technical qualities and general game intelligence.

We live and die by the Bruno sword. I for one want to see more of Mount ahead of Bruno, not necessarily permanently but at least rotation and when ending games.

I think he can definitely be useful as a squad option. Can pass a ball, is pretty quick and presses like a man possessed. Will probably only get better.

I feel sorry for Mason as he has value, but I don't see a regular starting role for him for us. That would be ok for him professionally if we were on the cusp of PL and CL trophies but we're not so we'll see how long he remains at Old Trafford.

Good link up, too weak on the ball. If he adds some athleticism to his game he can be quite valuable.
Yep, he gets easily brushed off the ball. Not a good combo with Bruno who sometimes has the same problem.

I feel sorry for Mason as he has value, but I don't see a regular starting role for him for us. That would be ok for him professionally if we were on the cusp of PL and CL trophies but we're not so we'll see how long he remains at Old Trafford.

It's the same thing that has been said many times. We signed a player who plays in the exact same position as by far our best player by a mile. Bruno is also pretty much always available.

I hope he gets a run of games somewhere in the team because he has genuine quality but also just think it was a weird signing.

He's by far our best presser and his movement off the ball is top class, players like this are generally under appreciated by the fans but loved by the managers.

This is true.

And having someone with that pressing output who can play in multiple positions across attack/midfield is obviously valuable, especially when their technique is sound too. If he stays fit he'll certainly play plenty of minutes across the season.

However, he still really does need to do more on the ball. Particularly in terms of actual goal/assist output. The above strengths are great to have, but we didn't pay what we did for him for just that. In his time at Chelsea he averaged 0.43 goal contributions per 90 across all competitions and we need to start seeing at least some of that sooner rather than later.

Good pressing
But we need so much more from him on the ball. That's a big part of why he was bought for big money with a head left (well another big part is the idiotic owners we had leading this last season)

Not sure what to say. Runs his socks of per usual and his pressing gave Fulham something to think about.
But he looks painfully limited apart from these things.

I thought he was excellent off the ball and made some good runs including for that chance off Rashford.

I think he was clearly brought in to play in the suicidal 4-1-4-1 system that ETH had in mind for last season which was never going to work.
However, there’s still plenty for him to contribute.
He was a good goal scorer for Chelsea, therefore no reason why he couldn’t find his feet playing in a double false 9 system, he can play on the left as well.

We’ll need him in the squad as we obviously want to progress far in the cups, and the Europa League is an incredibly long competition, that’s a lot of games.

Did give us energy and caused them issues with his pressing but he’s going to struggle to get in the side once the season is in full flow, need a lot more from him.