Mason Mount England flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
I didn’t think he was great but we definitely had a lot more holes through the middle when he went off. Hard to see where he plays when everyone is fit but hopefully he can give us options in the squad and can give Bruno a rest from time to time.

He's by far our best presser and his movement off the ball is top class, players like this are generally under appreciated by the fans but loved by the managers.
Silent domination!

He doesn't have a place in our strongest starting 11 as he offers very little. Lingard offered just as much off the ball and more on it.

I hope he grows into his role after a difficult first season but I don't forsee much improvement from him.

@BenitoSTARR let's go...
I don't dislike him as a player at all, I just don't think he fits us at all. Because of Bruno, we are one of the few clubs in world football who have absolutely no use for him. He helps us off the ball and with pressing as you would expect a 4th midfielder instead of a CF would. But on the balance that just isn't beneficial enough given we don't create chances often enough, don't move the ball quickly often enough, and just need a CF out there. On the ball Mount doesn't get that involved (in that role). And he's nowhere near Bruno's level to actually replace Bruno long term, so he's just an expensive squad player for Bruno and that's about it when everyone is fit IMO.

His performance today wasn't horrible, but also nothing special and more of one that'll see him drop out of our team.
Ok let’s go:
  1. Our team all of last season was open. Mount in that role enables the whole team to push up knowing that the first press or even second part of it is really good. He drove the whole team forward.
  2. As a result of his high position and movement there were fewer opportunities for Fulham to progress the ball into dangerous parts of the pitch and often had to hit long which played into our CB (Maguire’s) strengths.
  3. If you look at the best interplay we made around the box he was involved in the build up. E.g. the pass back for Mainoo’s shot.
  4. On moving quicker Rashford is an issue. If you play a 4 box midfield as part of a press you need then to have a striker or at least a wide forward who is making lots of runs in behind. They cannot drop off into your space all the time which unfortunately Rashford did. Or you have to as the midfielder run in behind (but Bruno is the one to do that not Mount) and Rashford should be doing that but didn’t. I don’t solely blame him because Dalot being the left side width doesn’t lend itself to it well.
  5. Last one when he left the pitch the press failed the tactics had to completely shift and we ended up playing a much more transitional game. This suited Garnacho and Rashford more as space opens up and Zirkzee is good at that role too (I said before he signed he’d help Rashford) so I think the issue here is if you want territorial control of a football pitch Mount has shown tonight exactly what you need to do as part of a functional unit and you can’t do that anywhere near as well with our current personnel without him.
To do more on this one game would take video clips and images but that’s why I’m happy with that performance, I believe Ten Hag will also be happy with it too given we created chances high up the pitch from a much better coordinated press I just think it was a tactical change to make a tired Fulham side have to open up and make the game more transitional at both ends. I also think this is why we put Evans and De Ligt on as they would be more solid to deal with that VS Mazraoui and a Maguire feeling a niggle.

Didn't offer too much on the ball, but it's not a coincidence that our press was so much less co-ordinated and aggressive when he went off.

Was a big part of the reason we looked our best from about 15-60 mins.

No amount of tactico counter pressing intangible “managers love it but layman armchair fan can’t appreciate” lark will impress me.

Every time he plays he routinely has the fewest touches of the ball and when he does get it it’s a lateral pass and he’s off with his movement somewhere else.

Once Zirkzee/Hojlund are up to fitness he shouldn’t be starting.
Ignorance doesn’t mean something is bad.

Off the ball he was great and one of the main reasons for our decent press in the first half. But he was just not offering much when we were attacking.

a lot of people forget that my dad was also hauled off at half time during his comeback game for the fusilier’s second eleven, and he went on to become one of the preeminent paedophiles in south wales. it’s too early to write mount off.

Should’ve scored. Otherwise he was alright. Don’t think he’s our answer to Bruno back-up at #10, but also not sure he’s #8 either. Weird signing.

Off the ball he was great and one of the main reasons for our decent press in the first half. But he was just not offering much when we were attacking.
Yes but Bruno can do that. Zirkzee has to start over him. We need players to offer more in attack.

Thought he was good. He needs to do more on the ball. But he led the press, which is why we got on top after the first 15 mins.

I just don't see how he fits into the starting 11 regularly though.

Didn't offer too much on the ball, but it's not a coincidence that our press was so much less co-ordinated and aggressive when he went off.

Was a big part of the reason we looked our best from about 15-60 mins.

Definitely. Performance dropped off significantly once he came off.

Funny how we improved after he went off. Don't understand 60m for this guy.

Always find it mad the way people can watch the same football match and have completely opposite opinions.

Weird how he got from one of the most influential chelsea players to just a runner who cna press and do feck all. Hes got goals and assist in him but we are not using him to his strengths or hes just too cautious

Probably better to think of him more like a Ji-Sung Park than a creative force like Bruno even if he was expensive. Not his fault. Hopefully we can see more of his linkup play. I'm sure he will be a very useful player if he can stay fit.

He's good off the ball, but offers very little on the ball. Very much a nothing player so far in his time here, unfortunately. VDB vibes

1. If you look at the best interplay we made around the box he was involved in the build up. E.g. the pass back for Mainoo’s shot.

He also laid the first time pass back to Casemiro, who then laid a perfect first time pass through the defence for Bruno's second (?) 1 on 1 with Leno.

I too would like to see an all touch compilation as I think he's being rated fair too harshly here.

He's basically the VDB that we thought we were getting and now that he's doing the those things like pressing hard, making off the ball runs, making himself available for the triangle balls, arriving late in the box (was unlucky with his shot that was saved in the 2nd half), people are not noticing the nuances to his game.

The problem I see with Mount is when everyone is fit where does he play? He’s not in our best 11 in my opinion

He also laid the first time pass back to Casemiro, who then laid a perfect first time pass through the defence for Bruno's second (?) 1 on 1 with Leno.

I too would like to see an all touch compilation as I think he's being rated fair too harshly here.

He's basically the VDB that we thought we were getting and now that he's doing the those things like pressing hard, making off the ball runs, making himself available for the triangle balls, arriving late in the box (was unlucky with his shot that was saved in the 2nd half), people are not noticing the nuances to his game.
Had he gotten the goal and/or the assist for Mainoo's shot, he'd be getting a lot more plaudits. Probably still get some complaining since some will always have preconcieved notions, but it goes to show it is a game of margins. Another night that could've been a MotM performance.

I'd just like to see him get a genuine, uninterrupted run of games. Didn't really happen last season, it was totally disjointed - even though it's fair to say he didn't do well when he did play.

I still think he'll prove a good signing for us.

The problem I see with Mount is when everyone is fit where does he play? He’s not in our best 11 in my opinion
Yeah this is what it boils down to. Once Hojlund and Zirkzee are fit, I don't think we do this no striker system pretty much every. Then where is he on the pecking order in the competition for the other 2 attacking spots around Bruno and the CF? Rashford, Garnacho, Amad I would pick ahead of him for wide positions. So he's not the first off the bench in the front 3 areas. He's not a deep player, and the area where he is actually a very good player happens to be where we never do any rotation or have injury issues. We'll see if Bruno keeps the fitness up, but if he does... I just don't see the point in Mount beyond a situational sub

We're in enough competitions to give him enough starts. He does need to realise he's a squad player though as he's nowhere near going to displace Bruno.

If he’s going to displace anyone he’ll be in the pivot position. Neither Mainoo or Casemiro have the mobility Mount does.

Had he gotten the goal and/or the assist for Mainoo's shot, he'd be getting a lot more plaudits. Probably still get some complaining since some will always have preconcieved notions, but it goes to show it is a game of margins. Another night that could've been a MotM performance.

Yeah for sure. People are expecting 'big hitter' moments when the nuances are that he actually tries to play like a midfielder with his link up play, passing and moving. Like I said in my previous post, I rather we persevere with him in the team so we actually try to play progressive and cohesive football even if it means dropping Bruno/rotating with him more but it just won't happen.

He made an incredible run for this chance but was unlucky with his finish:

He just isn’t particularly good at anything. Working hard should not be your standout asset.

He made a big difference to our press in that first half tonight. Like everyone has always said though, he's not going to play instead of Bruno when everyone is fit and Bruno isn't the false 9 so it's a difficult one.

Nothing player, I still cannot believe how the old transfer department paid £60m for him, not to mention he only had 1 year left on his contract as well.

I repeat, £60m for Mount with 1 year left on his contract! That is absolutely insane. What does he even do?!

He made a big difference to our press in that first half tonight. Like everyone has always said though, he's not going to play instead of Bruno when everyone is fit and Bruno isn't the false 9 so it's a difficult one.

£60m for a player that presses and has good off the ball movement, but nothing else. Might as well have kept Lingard for feck sake!

10 starts or so backing up Bruno (assuming Bruno stays healthy) and then my guess is he moves next summer to be the #10 somewhere and we get 30-35M or so for him, basically cover the rest of his fee. Bruno is here to stay, we can use Mainoo as the backup #10 or in theory Zirkzee or Amad might be able to fill some time there.

Villa - McGinn will be 30, reasonably likely that Buendia or Ramsey move on
Brentford - He probably won't fancy it, but they could use a creative midfielder if Carvalho ends up on the wing and they play more 4-3-3 than 3-5-2
Newcastle - He's better than Willock. If Bruno goes, they'll probably need a #10 type to come in and replace some of that creativity along with a normal #6 type
West Ham - If Paqueta leaves or is banned, would make sense, unless Kudus becomes a full-time #10 if that happens this year.

Nothing player, I still cannot believe how the old transfer department paid £60m for him, not to mention he only had 1 year left on his contract as well.

I repeat, £60m for Mount with 1 year left on his contract! That is absolutely insane. What does he even do?!
It's nuts

If he had 3-4 years on his contract would he have been worth 100m+ to our transfer department. Plus I think he's on insane wages too

Terrible transfer

He will be a good squad player to bring off of the bench and fill in when players are out, if he was bought for £20-30mil then I don't think there would be much uproar. Viewed solely in the lense of him being a squad player he's a good addition. Its more the financial side of it that I have an issue with but what's done is done. The fee was paid a year ago, he's here now and is a good addition.

He's a decent #10, particularly defensively, but Bruno is our best player and hasn't had serious injury issue . Insane use of 60M for sure, considering our other squad issues.

I thought he was really poor tbh. He pressed well but did nothing when in possession. I remember people praising Dan James constantly for his pressing, which was very good, but that didn't make him good enough for Utd. Mount needs to be contributing more to creating or scoring goals if he wants to be a starter. He'll probably keep his place next week, but if his performances don't improve, I expect he'll lose his place soon after that.

If we tried to sell him now with loads of a contract left we would get feck all . And we paid ridiculous amounts of money in his last year. I don't see it myself with him but so many of our purchases over the last 10 years were overpriced bang average at best players. Frustrating