Mason Mount England flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Wrong. Mount played double pivot in midfield which wouldn't work.

Wrong. Scott & Mainoo.

Wrong again. Scott & Amrabat.
I wasn't talking about specific combinations of players.

Go watch those games back and see that we had both of our 8s pushed way up, leaving a single pivot and huge gauge of space

He isn’t a bad footballer at all like some are claiming. Quite the contrary he has some really nice attributes. I’m sure he’d come good. No doubt in my mind.

He had a decent game but it looks like the agenda has been set for him already. Give the guy a chance!
He's a very good footballer. Lingard comparisons are just lazy in my opinion.
Agree with these. I think he'll have a fine season, but some posters just have their minds made up about him and will carry on moaning. Calling him a "nothing player" is really strange.

Agree with these. I think he'll have a fine season, but some posters just have their minds made up about him and will carry on moaning. Calling him a "nothing player" is really strange.
What does a fine season look like for him?

I think he is a decent footballer but his best position seems to be wide forward and we have rarely used him there. It seems the intention was to use him as an 8 which was never going to work alongside Bruno, even with a more defensive player instead of Bruno I don't see it working particularly well.

All in all another terrible signing for us given he didn't fit with the team needed and the huge wages no one else would offer

Sept 14 v Southampton - the date/match I reckon he'll make it to before being ruled out for injury.

Any other takers?

Regular appearances, no serious injuries, getting a few goals and assists, being an important cog in the football we play.
All in all another terrible signing for us given he didn't fit with the team needed and the huge wages no one else would offer
It's waaaaay too early to assess whether he's a terrible signing, as for the fit I disagree, I think he can be an efficient player in our system.

I would like to see him in a midfield 3. Or more on the wings similar to his Chelsea days.

Regular appearances, no serious injuries, getting a few goals and assists, being an important cog in the football we play.

It's waaaaay too early to assess whether he's a terrible signing, as for the fit I disagree, I think he can be an efficient player in our system.
Where do you think he would fit into our system?

Where are all the top reds who were defending the 60m pounds paid for Mount?
Does one have to be a “top red” to take that position? I’m not defending the fee we paid. I find it neither here nor there, as he has plenty of resale value, but I will defend the player at this early stage of his United career. He has loads to offer and has pretty much been injured since he arrived. I think at the end of this season would be a good time to make a proper assessment. He covers us in a high quality way for a number of positions, and football is fundamentally a squad game. We’ll have to rotate way more this season than last, if we are going to realistically compete, and keep the squad fresh, and I’d be happy to see him start in AM or LW in any number of games. He’s one of the few squad players we have who is good enough to push for a starting spot and provide genuine competition for places.

Does one have to be a “top red” to take that position? I’m not defending the fee we paid. I find it neither here nor there, as he has plenty of resale value, but I will defend the player at this early stage of his United career. He has loads to offer and has pretty much been injured since he arrived. I think at the end of this season would be a good time to make a proper assessment. He covers us in a high quality way for a number of positions, and football is fundamentally a squad game. We’ll have to rotate way more this season than last, if we are going to realistically compete, and keep the squad fresh, and I’d be happy to see him start in AM or LW in any number of games. He’s one of the few squad players we have who is good enough to push for a starting spot and provide genuine competition for places.
He cost 55m pounds for starters with 12 months to his contract. It’s a mind blowing fee for a player of his quality, never mind what positions he covers. He has show absolutely nothing in any position, if we are to sell him now we’d struggle to get 25m.

I think he is a decent footballer but his best position seems to be wide forward and we have rarely used him there. It seems the intention was to use him as an 8 which was never going to work alongside Bruno, even with a more defensive player instead of Bruno I don't see it working particularly well.

If he reproduced the form he had at Chelsea pre injury he'd be better than Bruno. His goal contributions when on form are insane. It amazes me how few people realize that.

He has no re-sale value. I don’t understand why people keep saying this. If he performs well this season, then sure clubs might want him but we won’t want to sell him. If he has a season similar to last season, or is a bit part player, we would probably want to get him off the books but we’d then have no prospect of doing so because he’s on £250k+ per week and no one is going to want to pay that.

If he reproduced the form he had at Chelsea pre injury he'd be better than Bruno. His goal contributions when on form are insane. It amazes me how few people realize that.
better than Bruno?!?

Bruno is on another level. Mount at best had a spurt of form when he was more productive but there's no comparison really

I am not sure why Mount isn't scoring. He gets in excellent positions. Maybe Ruud can help.

This is not true but he has undoubtedly had good runs of form but those were a few years ago

He’s never been better than Bruno Fernandes, like, ever.

I think he'll be a good player this season and it'll be an improvement on last year (not hard to do) but again, it is hard to see sometimes where he fits in, especially as it's clear now that Bruno won't leave and i'm not sure you'd have him ahead of Rashford, Garnacho, Amad on the wing.

Had a decent preseason but was disappointing in the Community shield final which will probably cost him any chance of a starting place this evening.

We spent a lot pf money for a chap in the final year of his contract. You would think he would be more central in ETH plans , but he seems peripheral.

I think he starts tonight but he needs to impress. You’d imagine when fit one of Hojlund/Zirkzee will come into the side.

I really hope he can get back to his peak Chelsea days so Bruno can get more rest this season.

Man Utd 1:0 Fulham New
A glorified Beek. Should be nowhere near the team apart from Carabao and easy EL games.

Not good on the ball, but his off the ball work was amazing and his high pressing alone created two decent chances. You can clearly see he fits with what ten Hag is trying to do, but he needs to do more on the ball to be a starter.

When he was subbed off, we had no one to lead the press and we instantly lost the midfield and Fulham dominated.

Not a fan but I think he can be an asset. A run of games is needed for him

The energy in the press dropped once he went off but once Zirkzee is up to speed hopefully he can bring similar energy.

Wasn't great, but didn't think he was bad either. Team looked worse when he want off I thought.

Good link up, too weak on the ball. If he adds some athleticism to his game he can be quite valuable.

Worked hard and he definitely looked the best of the frontmen that started. Took up some good positions to link up in their box.

Needs to do more in possession. That said, our press got noticeably worse once he went off.

@BenitoSTARR let's go...
I don't dislike him as a player at all, I just don't think he fits us at all. Because of Bruno, we are one of the few clubs in world football who have absolutely no use for him. He helps us off the ball and with pressing as you would expect a 4th midfielder instead of a CF would. But on the balance that just isn't beneficial enough given we don't create chances often enough, don't move the ball quickly often enough, and just need a CF out there. On the ball Mount doesn't get that involved (in that role). And he's nowhere near Bruno's level to actually replace Bruno long term, so he's just an expensive squad player for Bruno and that's about it when everyone is fit IMO.

His performance today wasn't horrible, but also nothing special and more of one that'll see him drop out of our team.

Was a big part of our effective press in spells. Needs those chances to start going in for him though if he really wants to prove his worth