Mason Mount England flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
I think the poster is getting confused, as he’s now been basically injured for 18 months, but I agree that wasn’t the case when we signed him.

The idea that he was a bad signing is definitely hindsight. He may well have been decent but for injury. But he was still an underwhelming acquisition that nobody much wanted. In retrospect his availability was suspicious. Clubs sometimes know an injury profile is going to get worse even if the player can pass a medical. Bayern stiffed us with Hargreaves for example.

Last edited:
Posters on here mock those who are concerned when we are linked with/sign players who had serious injury hit periods in the past, but we’re repeatedly seeing that some of these players are in fact very injury prone and these concerns are valid

Jesus he/we can’t catch a break. Too many perma crocks on huge wages on this team. I know all clubs have injuries but does any other club come close with having it be the usual suspects.

Ya his fitness issues are extremely
Worrisome. We should cut our losses next summer , I presume it’s too late.

We are struggling to get rid of a much superior player in Sancho talent wise who also not as injury prone but is on the same wages. Imagine our struggle next summer trying to shift him.

What minor, it will be 1 1/2 season and he kicked the ball for like what 5 times?

Most of the posters here knew this is a disaster of transfer waiting to happen with the huge transfer fee for a mediocre injury prone, who is in his last year contract, earning gigantic wages.

Few who "know football" better than the rest thought this was an amazing transfer that will "surprise a few" here.

He hasn't been average at all in the games he played for us, both this and last season. And he wasn't injury prone at Chelsea.

If INEOS were in charge last year this signing would not have happened. Or at least we wouldn’t have paid £50m for him. Don’t know what the feck ETH was thinking.

Martial used to do this - run around a lot for one or two games then do his hamstring. Ended up not bothering to run, I'm assuming from fear of hamstring injuries.

Mason Mount looks the same. I knew he was an average footballer who we didn't need but never knew he'll be injury prone as well. Bonus!

The idea that he was a bad signing is definitely hindsight. He may well have been decent but for injury. But he was still an underwhelming acquisition that nobody much wanted. In retrospect his availability was suspicious. Clubs sometimes know an injury profile is going to get worse even if the player can pass a medical. Bayern stiffed us with Hargreaves for example.
Nope not hindsight, plenty were able to tell beforehand. Doesn't become hindsight just because you couldn't see it.
Had 3 injuries in the half year before signing him, lost his place with England, poor stats, super overpriced on a one-year contract, and super high wages, plays in Bruno's position, not an #8. Bad signing.

By the time he's back his spot on the team will be gone. It's a shame because ETH clearly wanted to give him a shot.

Disaster of a signing. I knew that because he spent most of the last season at Chelsea injured, same here.

Antony has a winner against Barcelona and a vital FA Cup goal against Liverpool to his name, and a few other important goals. Mason Mount has so far contributed one goal against Brentford. Mount is probably a better player than Antony but he’s definitely done less for us so far.
Antony has had a better crack at it

Mount has barely had a single contribution for us so far. His pressing is as valuable as Antony's defensive workrate/ball retention, basically nothing..

At least Antony has been key in some of our best wins in the past two seasons, Mount hasnt had even 1 highlight.
Mount hasn't had a good in the team. Antony is a candidate for our wore ever signing

Mount hasn't had a good in the team. Antony is a candidate for our wore ever signing
Not sure what you're saying, I'd put Antony, Sancho, Mount all in our top 3 likely so far. Mount has been the most useless so far out of all of them.

I quite like Mason and what he offers. However, his fitness record with us is really abysmal and what use is a player who can't stay fit?

Nope not hindsight, plenty were able to tell beforehand. Doesn't become hindsight just because you couldn't see it.
Had 3 injuries in the half year before signing him, lost his place with England, poor stats, super overpriced on a one-year contract, and super high wages, plays in Bruno's position, not an #8. Bad signing.

To clarify I meant his injuries were somewhat foreseeable but not obvious to me as I don't pay attention to Chelsea. I think a competent transfer department might have noticed. Being a bad player when not injured was not foreseeable and not necessarily true.

He is not good, yes, but I would not say "Mount is a better player", at least not for us.
If you draw that line then you can say the same for Casemiro and Falcao and others.
At least Mount has time on his side.

This is fecking infuriating. Not good enough really.

To clarify I meant his injuries were somewhat foreseeable but not obvious to me as I don't pay attention to Chelsea. I think a competent transfer department might have noticed. Being a bad player when not injured was not foreseeable and not necessarily true.
Not bad, but not really good either. Many had seen him for England in midfield, and he was always poor and invisible. Looking at his assists for Chelsea in his last season even, so few were from open play. A lot from corners/free kicks, something we never score from anyway. It was a total misfit, especially with Bruno already being there and us being a shithole. Would have succeeded more at Arsenal I think.

I feel for him cos injuries suck especially those not in your control

Saying that, this is not even in hindsight. This signing made no sense at all especially with the money spent. We didnt get him on a free. We got him for roughly 50m for a position we didnt need. Even if he wasnt injured and playing like he should have, we paid 50m for a player in his last year of contract, that is not a complete game changer.
This isnt like us signing RVP for 30m or whatever it was.

Mount was never going to be the difference between top 4 and winning the title. So its ultimately such a ridiculous signing. We could have waited a year to see if he really wanted us as well. If his head was turned by somebody else in that time, so be it. Baffling all around.

Played 106 minutes in the PL, just over half of the 180 :lol:

You do wonder what's wrong here though, is he now going to keep getting injuries or is it a mentality thing where he doesn't want to play with niggles?

He's got a cushy contract, knows he can't be shifted. Maybe harsh but also true.

Why the feck would we sign a player on the back of an injury hampered season. It's fecking stupid.

Blessing in disguise, ten Hag will be forzed to play an actual striker instead of that failed false 9 stuff. Mount adds very very little on the pitch so not really bothered if he's injured or not, only 4 more years on his contract to go.

I'm tempted to rage but I will resist the temptation. Mount is not a particularly useful player for us anyway and apart from the wages spent on him that could have been spent on a more productive footballer, nothing significant is lost by his absence although he does seem a proper young man.

If we do need to rest Bruno from time to time I actually think Amad could go a job in the hole. Maybe, just maybe, we could give Mainoo a runout further up the pitch as well if circumstances allow it. But being without Mount is nothing more than an annoyance that we're almost literally -- because literally doesn't literally mean literally -- shoveling 250k/week into the furnace with his wages. Another 4 seasons you say? Jesus Christ.

Mason Mount has started 7 PL games for United. Our record in those matches is 3 wins 4 losses. In each of the three wins, United's goals were scored after Mount was substituted.

Mount was on the pitch when Fernandes scored the late winner against Fulham last season from Pellistri's pass and when Lindelof scored the only goal against Luton. Mount scored our goal in the 1-1 draw at Brentford.

In the CL we lost the only game he started against Galatasaray. In the EFL Cup one win and one loss in the two matches Mount started, one assist in the 3-0 win over Newcastle.