Mason Mount England flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
He was good today both off and on the ball, linked up well with bruno a couple of times.

Hope he's back fit for next week.

I'd argue it's the same with McT. He makes runs into the box when there is a chance of scoring. Offers feck all outside that.

But they just don't appear to be smart players to me. Not sure how much more coaching Rashford needs when he's been playing for years and still constantly finds himself offside or fail to hit the target from good positions. It's not even about scoring he's altogether failing to get his shots on target. There's no excuse for him anymore.

I feel like he's got another purple patch in him but yeah i get you. it's so hard to know how he would be in a good side though. I really want to find out.

I agree about Rashford and Casemiro. Mainoo would do it if everyone else did and I thought Hojlund pressed quite well (though I've forgotten what he looks like tbh)
I don't think Mainoo can do it as he can play 60' of intensive football, but let's give him benefit of the doubt.

Hojlund and Bruno are just running bodies, their pressing is ineffective. My grandma would be able to dribble past them with a simple dummy move. Rashford on the other hand is a standing body.

My point is: on paper this squad doesn't look like it's suited to high leading game, so I don't know what are we trying to achieve really. We might be playing possession based football just as good imo.
What we are suited to very much is counter attacking football, if Ten Hag decides to mimic Oleball like he did with reasonable success in last games of the previous season.

We lost control of the game in both matches once he got taken off. Should have never been subbed off.
Seems he's injured. They subbed him off when he let the gaffer know there was a niggle somewhere

Reactions: Cheimoon
When your biggest plaudits are for pressing or it's purely about work rate, that worries me. They are important aspects of the game but unless you are someone like Kante, if those are your go to traits, that typically means you lack quality.

Someone mentioned it earlier but I simply don't think we have the squad, personnel or playing style to effectively pull off the false 9 system. There's a world where Mount plays off the left that could work but I don't see Mount and Bruno playing centrally being the answer.

When your biggest plaudits are for pressing or it's purely about work rate, that worries me. They are important aspects of the game but unless you are someone like Kante, if those are your go to traits, that typically means you lack quality.

Someone mentioned it earlier but I simply don't think we have the squad, personnel or playing style to effectively pull off the false 9 system. There's a world where Mount plays off the left that could work but I don't see Mount and Bruno playing centrally being the answer.
I said this when we signed him. Your best players play at the top of the field where they can do the most damage to the opposition. What you don't want or need is someone in those spaces who's best asset is 'pressing'. If you're playing as a false 9 and can't beat a man, can't thread a pass, can't score, can't hold onto possession, then what's your value deep in the opposition half?

I said this when we signed him. Your best players play at the top of the field where they can do the most damage to the opposition. What you don't want or need is someone in those spaces who's best asset is 'pressing'. If you're playing as a false 9 and can't beat a man, can't thread a pass, can't score, can't hold onto possession, then what's your value deep in the opposition half?

This "press" thing is something his fans resort too when he has 1 assist and 1 goal for an attacking midfielder (this season an attacker).

This "press" thing is something his fans resort too when he has 1 assist and 1 goal for an attacking midfielder (this season an attacker).
Why do you think Liverpool were able to completely dominate teams and was the best team in the world at one point with a midfield consisting of Henderson, Wijnaldum and Fabinho? Who creates chances in that midfield?
Think about that for some time because you seem to be stuck in the past with your football understanding. It's no longer this neanderthal "player create chance, player better" way of thinking. You need balance in the team.

The fact is that we became a much worse team in both of these games when Mount went off, and while he didn't do much with the ball, it allowed us to dominate possession, win the ball back quickly and forced errors. Brighton never looked close to score while he was on the pitch, and neither did Fulham, but immediately when he was subbed, they looked dangerous and had all the time in the world to make decisions. It is probably going to take you 35 more games to realise pressing actually is a key element of dominant football, though.

Why do you think Liverpool were able to completely dominate teams and was the best team in the world at one point with a midfield consisting of Henderson, Wijnaldum and Fabinho? Who creates chances in that midfield?
Think about that for some time because you seem to be stuck in the past with your football understanding. It's no longer this neanderthal "player create chance, player better" way of thinking. You need balance in the team.

The fact is that we became a much worse team in both of these games when Mount went off, and while he didn't do much with the ball, it allowed us to dominate possession, win the ball back quickly and forced errors. Brighton never looked close to score while he was on the pitch, and neither did Fulham, but immediately when he was subbed, they looked dangerous and had all the time in the world to make decisions. It is probably going to take you 35 more games to realise pressing actually is a key element of dominant football, though.

You seem to pick and choose.

None of those players where attacking players, we play a different football. Liverpool realised if you want someone who presses well in the front line (as an attacking player) he needs to be good in possession too and do something with the ball, that is why (Salah, Mane and Firmino) system worked because they all press, assist and score.

I thought he was good in and out of possession. He linked up very well Bruno and all our dangerous attacks in the first half came from those two combining.

Whether it’s worth sacrificing a #9 to play with two false 9s however is another question. We have a problem with scoring enough goals that the manager needs to solve this season

I thought he was good in and out of possession. He linked up very well Bruno and all our dangerous attacks in the first half came from those two combining.

Whether it’s worth sacrificing a #9 to play with two false 9s however is another question. We have a problem with scoring enough goals that the manager needs to solve this season
this 100%

if you could rely on Amad/Garnacho/Rashford scoring it might be a different story.

Agree with this, linked up well but we’re just not threatening.

You seem to pick and choose.

None of those players where attacking players, we play a different football. Liverpool realised if you want someone who presses well in the front line (as an attacking player) he needs to be good in possession too and do something with the ball, that is why (Salah, Mane and Firmino) system worked because they all press, assist and score.
I'm not asking about the attackers, I'm asking about the midfielders. If a fairly mediocre midfield like that can dominate teams because of the relentless pressing, do you see the value in it? Now we're getting Ugarte too, who is an absolute pressing machine himself.

Regarding Liverpool's attacking trio also pressing, that is down to coaching, the same applies to the midfield. Klopp made them play like that because it is efficient. Do you know Klopp also wanted Mount as his number one target? Why do you think that is? Arteta wanted him too, but he turned them down.

Look, we all agree that Mount should do more on the ball and involve himself more, but there is a simple fact here and it is that we play better and are a lot more secure and dominant with him on the pitch, so we play him. Obviously. Until we find a better suitor.

Precisely. We could have kept Fred instead of splashing 55m and he would have run as much as Mount.

Always feels like we need to go with one of Bruno or Mount, but Bruno is never getting dropped so signing Mount was pointless.

If Rashford doesn't find form I'd be tempted to play him LW.

Precisely. We could have kept Fred instead of splashing 55m and he would have run as much as Mount.

Fair point. They are similar players. Both run around a lot but have similar limitations in passing ability and general level of quality.

If you play in an attacking position then you need to offer a goal threat or get assists.

If you play in an attacking position then you need to offer a goal threat or get assists.

Yep, there's no question about that.

Across him time at Chelsea he averaged 0.45 goals/assists per 90 in the league. Here he's averaged 0.14. If he doesn't start producing more then there's no excuse whatsoever. Even if we started playing him in a deeper midfield role, we'd expect more than that.

However, the fact that his single league goal registers as 0.19 goals/assists per 90 also highlights how few minutes he's actually played so far.

People should be patient and give him more of a chance than that to start producing when he's on the pitch, especially given how big a proportion of those minutes has also been played without a CF in front of him. And people should also be able to recognise when he plays well in and out of possession aside from that, as he did yesterday.

I really like him, he adds value to our structure and you can tell when he's off the pitch. Unsure I can say that about a few players in our team.

Fair point. They are similar players. Both run around a lot but have similar limitations in passing ability and general level of quality.
what an insult on Mount. he is superior in every aspect. hopefully he proves this going forward

Been good this season.

Anyone not seeing this either a) has an agenda or b) doesn’t understand football and his role

Yep, there's no question about that.

Across him time at Chelsea he averaged 0.45 goals/assists per 90 in the league. Here he's averaged 0.14. If he doesn't start producing more then there's no excuse whatsoever. Even if we started playing him in a deeper midfield role, we'd expect more than that.

However, the fact that his single league goal registers as 0.19 goals/assists per 90 also highlights how few minutes he's actually played so far.

People should be patient and give him more of a chance than that to start producing when he's on the pitch, especially given how big a proportion of those minutes has also been played without a CF in front of him. And people should also be able to recognise when he plays well in and out of possession aside from that, as he did yesterday.
Pretty sure at Chelsea majority of his assists were from set pieces

Been good this season.

Anyone not seeing this either a) has an agenda or b) doesn’t understand football and his role
Or c) thinks a team lacking attacking threat cannot afford to have a player in an attacking position offering extremely little of it. He needs to seriously improve in this department.

He has been decent I think. Off the ball he has been very good. No idea what the plan with him will be once Hojlund is fit.

there seems like tons of massive space on the pitch that Brighton exploited in the second half when he's not around.
The positive in me thinks that having Ugarte who can cover much more ground that Casemiro would negate the needs to play him and we can play with an actual striker

Or c) thinks a team lacking attacking threat cannot afford to have a player in an attacking position offering extremely little of it. He needs to seriously improve in this department.
And… his career proves he can do that in spades

Pressing is super important but quality is still just as important. If you want to talk about Liverpools system you'd also have to drop Bruno or Mount, Mainoo and play Zirkzee as a false 9, Casemiro and Ugarte in the middle.

Sick and tired of this crap. Dominate the opposition with the football whilst making sure you can press well and get the ball back quickly. Scholes has been getting hammered recently but he's right that we need more technical players in the middle of the park who keep the ball and make the right decisions. Mainoo can do it but that's not his ideal game, it's just that he's got the elite technical ability and composure our other players do not have. If your defensive structure is reliant on playing Mason Mount and Bruno Fernandes as false 9s you are going to struggle goals.

So Mount can start in one of three circumstances:

1) We have no striker and we play Bruno and Mount

2) We play one of Bruno or Mount on the wing and the other in midfield with a striker up top.

3) Mount plays instead of Bruno

I don't like any of these options but surely 2 is the worst of both worlds. We sacrifice solidity in midfield and pace/threat in attack. So Mount will only work as a direct replacement for Bruno unless we plan on playing with no striker. This signing still doesn't make sense one season later.

So Mount can start in one of three circumstances:

1) We have no striker and we play Bruno and Mount

2) We play one of Bruno or Mount on the wing and the other in midfield with a striker up top.

3) Mount plays instead of Bruno

I don't like any of these options but surely 2 is the worst of both worlds. We sacrifice solidity in midfield and pace/threat in attack. So Mount will only work as a direct replacement for Bruno unless we plan on playing with no striker. This signing still doesn't make sense one season later.

It's also quite likely that we'll see Mount play in Mainoo's position at times.