Mason Mount England flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
For the record he made several runs for Bruno to find him, was found several times and played the ball back to Bruno in space a couple of times too. He wasnt poor with the ball, we just didnt do anything with the groundwork he did in the move. He did his bit and then Bruno didnt make the most of it

Except he wasn't crap on the ball today. His work in possession and link-up play was good as well.

He was neat and tidy. Never looked like he was going to produce anything of substance though. He never does.

Presses really well, but doesn’t seem to have enough of an impact when he actually gets the ball. Might just be that the players around him need to up their game.

He's a smart player and presses very well but it just seems useless when there's no end product. I don't think him and Bruno can play together in this false 9 system. Maybe they can play together in the two attacking 8s system but we don't have the DM to play like that. It's going to be either him or Bruno and they need to be rotated.

For those people who think we have to start Mount for his "pressing", I'd love to hear them answer this question.

Right now my inclination would be to drop Rashford and play Mount LW in order to bring a CF into the team.

I don't think LW is Mount's best position, I'm not sure we'd get the same benefit from his off the ball work with him out there and it's probably not a long term solution.

But I also think Mount has done more to warrant being in the starting eleven than Rashford has in recent games. And while it might not solve the Mount/Bruno problem, it does address the Rashford problem.

There's no future to this weird 2 false rotating number 9s thing we're doing at the moment.

The only way we can possibly field Mount and Bruno would be Mount on the left, but that doesn't feel a brilliant solution either.

Right now my inclination would be to drop Rashford and play Mount LW in order to bring a CF into the team.

I don't think LW is Mount's best position, I'm not sure we'd get the same benefit from his off the ball work with him out there and it's probably not a long term solution.

But I also think Mount has done more to warrant being in the starting eleven than Rashford has in recent games. And while it might not solve the Mount/Bruno problem, it does address the Rashford problem.
As you say, his pressing is not going to be as much use if he's stuck out wide.

He's either going to offer no attacking threat on the left, or he's going to drift infield and leave our left side completely non-existent.

The definition of a mediocre player that offer feck all. Sell him next summer, now it's too late.
Honestly, once there's a narrative there really is no stopping it.

What the feck do you lot watch.

There's no future to this weird 2 false rotating number 9s thing we're doing at the moment.

The only way we can possibly field Mount and Bruno would be Mount on the left, but that doesn't feel a brilliant solution either.

Obviously at some point Hojlund will be back and he will play in rotation with (a hopefully settled by then Zirkzee) depending on form and opponents

For a team that consistently tails off in games especially tight ones and has a lack of energy in midfield, why do we keep subbing him off?

For a team that consistently tails off in games especially tight ones and has a lack of energy in midfield, why do we keep subbing him off?
He felt something at HT today. Apart from that, he’s a square peg for a round hole. He’s never going to stay fit, doesn’t offer much beyond running around, and playing him means we have to cripple another position because Bruno will never be dropped.

He needs to score or assist pretty soon, otherwise for an attacking midfielder being nice and tidy on the ball and pressing well shouldn't be enough to start every game.

Apparently small injury concerns, at least that was today's reason, not sure about the Fulham game.

Hope he is fit for the Liverpool game. I question some aspects of his game but it's now two matches in a row where we've looked better with him in the team. There's a huge amount to be critical of with EtH but the press does look very efficient at times and you can attribute a lot of that to Mount.

It was quite good today 93.3% pass accuracy, tackled 1 time, bad touch 1 time
Being good on the ball is much more than racking up high possession stats. When our DM, who isn't the most creative player can try to force progressive passes more than our attacking midfielder (despite his 93%) pass accuracy, you know something's wrong.

Being good on the ball is much more than racking up high possession stats. When our DM, who isn't the most creative player can try to force progressive passes more than our attacking midfielder (despite his 93%) pass accuracy, you know something's wrong.

He didnt need to because he was making good runs, found by Bruno and then finding our best attacking player in a better position than when he received the ball. Thats all he needed to do. Bruno is the one who is creative, he just didnt get his final ball right

Bruno is part of that problem.
Not disagreeing but if Mount was supposed to be a Bruno replacement, why did we give him a new contract? Anyway you slice it, Bruno is always going to be first choice between those two. The only chance Mount has at taking Bruno’s spot is if Bruno gets injured and he suddenly becomes world class. Even then, we are fecked because Mount’s fitness has been a problem since day one.

Not disagreeing but if Mount was supposed to be a Bruno replacement, why did we give him a new contract? Anyway you slice it, Bruno is always going to be first choice between those two. The only chance Mount has at taking Bruno’s spot is if Bruno gets injured and he suddenly becomes world class. Even then, we are fecked because Mount’s fitness has been a problem since day one.
No idea why we gave Bruno a new contract. It isn't something that I was in favour of. Agreed about Mount's fitness. I didn't actually want us to sign Mount, though I have noticed that we seem to have lost control in both of our games this season once he has been substituted. I actually wanted us to restore that balance earlier by bringing on Collyer for Bruno.

Looks like high press fast transition to me. But it is a work in progress.
I don't disagree, but how many players suited for that style do we have in your opinion? I'd say Mount is the only one. Bruno maybe if you ignore the fact he can't press effectively even if he runs all the time.

I don't disagree, but how many players suited for that style do we have in your opinion? I'd say Mount is the only one. Bruno maybe if you ignore the fact he can't press effectively even if he runs all the time.

I'd say most of them when they are playing well. The ones who aren't are easy to spot - Maguire, McT, Casemiro, Evans, Antony, Lindelof. Not sure about Mazraoui, who hasn't impressed me so far, or De Ligt who I haven't seen enough of.

Obviously Rashford is in a poor spell which may or may not be permanent and Amad is flakey as fek. But on their day they can play this way very well.

That was one of his better halves for us but again, not much to write about. His pressing is excellent, link up/passing today was quite good but not much cutting edge and ultimately subbed off due to injury, story of his time here.

Was a waste of money, never ever ever did we need him.

Now ETH is just forcing him into the team.

I'd say most of them when they are playing well. The ones who aren't are easy to spot - Maguire, McT, Casemiro, Evans, Antony, Lindelof. Not sure about Mazraoui, who hasn't impressed me so far, or De Ligt who I haven't seen enough of.

Obviously Rashford is in a poor spell which may or may not be permanent and Amad is flakey as fek. But on their day they can play this way very well.
Neither of Rashford, Hojlund, Mainoo, Casemiro are good at pressing. Pressing is a collective thing, because if it isn't, one player going out means your pressing becomes ineffective. Which is the case now with Mount.

I'd say we have a squad that on paper looks made for counter attacking. This is how we've been successful in last years, so nothing new.

Are we going to play without a striker for the remainder of the season so we can get at least a bit of a hold in midfield? I mean what is happening here? Is EtH unable to form a midfield out of three players?

Neither of Rashford, Hojlund, Mainoo, Casemiro are good at pressing. Pressing is a collective thing, because if it isn't, one player going out means your pressing becomes ineffective. Which is the case now with Mount.

I'd say we have a squad that on paper looks made for counter attacking. This is how we've been successful in last years, so nothing new.

I agree about Rashford and Casemiro. Mainoo would do it if everyone else did and I thought Hojlund pressed quite well (though I've forgotten what he looks like tbh)

I agree about Rashford and Casemiro. Mainoo would do it if everyone else did and I thought Hojlund pressed quite well (though I've forgotten what he looks like tbh)
Hojlund does press well. It's Rashford and McT who have zero idea on how to press and Casemiro just can't do it cause he's a grandpa.

Hojlund does press well. It's Rashford and McT who have zero idea on how to press and Casemiro just can't do it cause he's a grandpa.
There's no inherent reason why McT and Rashford couldn't be taught to press better. In Rashford's case it's because he thinks he needs to keep his powder dry for goal scoring. Which doesn't really work even if he does score goals which he doesn't. Eventually everyone will have to fit in or fek off.

There's no inherent reason why McT and Rashford couldn't be taught to press better. In Rashford's case it's because he thinks he needs to keep his powder dry for goal scoring. Which doesn't really work even if he does score goals which he doesn't. Eventually everyone will have to fit in or fek off.
I'd argue it's the same with McT. He makes runs into the box when there is a chance of scoring. Offers feck all outside that.

But they just don't appear to be smart players to me. Not sure how much more coaching Rashford needs when he's been playing for years and still constantly finds himself offside or fail to hit the target from good positions. It's not even about scoring he's altogether failing to get his shots on target. There's no excuse for him anymore.