Mason Mount England flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Nothing player, I still cannot believe how the old transfer department paid £60m for him, not to mention he only had 1 year left on his contract as well.

I repeat, £60m for Mount with 1 year left on his contract! That is absolutely insane. What does he even do?!

£60m for a player that presses and has good off the ball movement, but nothing else. Might as well have kept Lingard for feck sake!
Give your head a wobble.

He has barely played for us and this was the first game of the season where he didn't even play bad. Could've had an assist to Mainoo, a goal if it wasn't for an excellent save, and lead the high press that he himself created two chances through. We lost all control of the match when he went off because the Fulham players had all the time in the world to make decisions. No one were forcing them to make mistakes through pressing.

What you need to grasp is that off the ball work can be as important as on the ball work in some systems, and ten Hag's system is one of the ones that need players like that. Let's not forget that Mount's best season for Chelsea he had double digits goals and assists in PL alone in only 2300 minutes which isn't even a full season, so to suggest he doesn't do anything is bonkers and only shows you're devoid of any football understanding whatsoever. But we know, you've made up your mind about him and nothing will change that.

Needs to work on his finishing a bit. He gets in good positions, but not able to convert them yet. Once he starts doing that, his confidence will grow, and so will his performances.

It’s strange as he had no issues finding the back of the net in a Chelsea shirt. Hopefully that’ll with the confidence of getting regular minutes.

Give your head a wobble.

He has barely played for us and this was the first game of the season where he didn't even play bad. Could've had an assist to Mainoo, a goal if it wasn't for an excellent save, and lead the high press that he himself created two chances through. We lost all control of the match when he went off because the Fulham players had all the time in the world to make decisions. No one were forcing them to make mistakes through pressing.

What you need to grasp is that off the ball work can be as important as on the ball work in some systems, and ten Hag's system is one of the ones that need players like that. Let's not forget that Mount's best season for Chelsea he had double digits goals and assists in PL alone in only 2300 minutes which isn't even a full season, so to suggest he doesn't do anything is bonkers and only shows you're devoid of any football understanding whatsoever. But we know, you've made up your mind about him and nothing will change that.
I think you need a head wobble too. It’s not such a controversial opinion.

I don’t care what he did for Chelsea years back. He has been pretty underwhelming and we still haven’t seen what we paid 60m quid for yet. He may still prove his worth but at the moment the output we get from him is minimal.

Also you don’t need to get your pitchforks out everyone someone shares a contrarian view on a forum meant for sharing views.

Give your head a wobble.

I wish all users could like posts. This one would definitely get one from me

It’s strange as he had no issues finding the back of the net in a Chelsea shirt. Hopefully that’ll with the confidence of getting regular minutes.

I'm just worried that in this 4-4-2 we seem to be playing, there's no space for both Bruno and Mount together on the pitch. And we all know who's winning that battle. But hopefully since Hojlund is away, we will see more of Mount with Bruno/Zirkzee up top, leading the press. He's wasted in a midfield 2.

He is a much betterplayer than he has shown so far, lets not forget so far has been injury ridden and no run of games.

Not commenting onindividual performances as some of the performance threads are ridiculous the criticism of some ofourbest players and lauding others that have gernerally been awful...after ONE game.

Mount is a better player than some of the views reading here...BUT, didnt undeerstand or like the signing of him at the time, espeially the fee and still too early to judge but seeing nothing to vindiate itso far.

To be fairlast season and thisseason, 90% of his games seem to have been with no available striker starting so maybe we still arent seeing fully howTen Hag visualised using him in a system.....but so far£60m seems to have been spent out on an exellent presser furtherup the field,but he seemsto beoffering little on the ball other than simple linkups and he just doesnt seem to fit in.

I really dont think a midfield of Fernandes and Mount willflourish as welook exposed whenthat isbroken on. With Zirkzees versatility and possibly other players, noteven sure he remains the Fernandes back up...theFernandes barely misses a minute anyway. He is alsoprobably 3rd or 4th choice on the left.

£60m and I struggle to see his placein the squad being anything more than a valuable presser coming ontoprotet the lead beyondanything other than his very bestform, injuries or really poor form from others.

Hopefully wrong but I feel he will be one we aretrying to move in thesummer

He was dispossessed 10 times.
Same as Mainoo!
I would need to check but seemed to me like he was dispossessed every 2nd time he was on the ball, while Mainoo was just much more involved and didn't seem like he lost it frequently.

Edit: @Idxomer explained this with numbers already.

Last edited:

I don’t care what he did for Chelsea years back. He has been pretty underwhelming and we still haven’t seen what we paid 60m quid for yet. He may still prove his worth but at the moment the output we get from him is minimal.

Also you don’t need to get your pitchforks out everyone someone shares a contrarian view on a forum meant for sharing views.
You don’t have to get your pitchfork out just because someone gets their pitchfork out just because someone got their pitchfork out.

My opinion is that saying something happened ‘years ago’ when it happened 1 1/2 year ago seems deliberately misleading. Another opinion I have is that saying someone ‘is’ (indicating permanent quality as opposed to temporary form) a ‘nothing player’ based on 60 mins plus 8 1/2 games worth of minutes inbetween injuries at a new club is a stupid opinion, and might warrant giving the head a wobble to think more clearly.

Saying that he haven’t proved his worth yet at United is IMO a reasonable O, and a very different one to saying that he is a nothing player without output and wilfully ignoring the 300 games he has played with 125 goals/assists to the exclusive focus on the last 700 minutes he has played, for a 25 years old player, is a stupid opinion to state, and not the same opinion at all as the one you yourself stated.

But, hey, let’s not quarrel over opinons :) Let’s leave the pitchforks on the pitch.
(I’ll take my pitchfork)

I would need to check but seemed to me like he was dispossessed every 2nd time he was on the ball, while Mainoo was just much more involved and didn't seem like he lost it frequently.
He was disposessed quite a bit, witch is where you see he is not a striker. He got many more or less hopeful balls when under pressure, and he has neither the physics nor the burst/technique Mainoo or Amad has to keep the ball in tight spaces harried by several opponents. In more general play I thought he was a bit up and down, like most of our players.

In general I think he did a good job for the team, and it’s not coincidental that we lost domination of the game after he went off.

Thought he was really good. There was a clear plan to force Leno onto his left foot facing Robinson where his distribution was poor, and whenever the ball went into the resulting area Mount was a menace forcing long balls and shitty passes out.

It led to a couple of our best chances and gave Maguire plenty to head back so we could sustain pressure.

Saying Mount is a nothing player isn't controversial? The same Mount that was Chelsea's best player when they won CL by scoring against Porto in the QF, scoring against Real Madrid in the SF and made the assist for their goal against City in the finals with a beautiful through ball and also had double digits in the PL both goals and assists? I'm simply calling out a terrible post for what it is, which is to be expected when you make terrible posts on a forum. Just because you agree with a controversial opinion doesn't mean it isn't one.

I agree that he hasn't done a lot for us, but he is clearly a natural footballer with high football intelligence. This reminds me when posters were on Dalot saying he was a nothing player when clearly you could see he was a natural. Players need play time and match rhythm to get going. I'm not saying Mount is the answer and will solve our problems, but he is an incredibly useful squad player at the very least, and offers something none of our other players do. Yes, he cost too much and the transfer didn't make too much sense at the time, but it's hardly his fault, no?

Last edited:
Good performance, showed signs of what he can offer in the long run. I think he’ll be an excellent member of the first team over the course of the season.

His pressing is very effective in the final third. Also, his ability to take the ball under pressure is one of his attributes I think he excels in over Bruno. Bruno loves the flick around the corner touch when receiving it under pressure, Mount was more willing to take it, break a press with a good first touch and open up the defence.

The more they all play together the more it will click into place in competitive scenarios.

Reactions: 711
Needs to take better care of the ball. Keane said it before the game started and I see what he means.

We can’t have Bruno and Mount both in there giving the ball away. Bruno is enough as he is taking risks and being more progressive.

I thought out of possession he was our best player and integral to the press and shape that we had. We turned into Moments FC when he came off and we could have easily have lost/ been overwhelmed by Fulham in the last 30 as we were likely to win it.

Like others say, it's hard to judge the output without a striker etc but I did think on the ball there's a lot to be desired. Doesn't seem to have the weight of pass, eye for goal etc but has had some nice intricate touches here and there. I thought when we signed him we'd be getting a class player and I still do but I think he has a long way to go in terms of getting back to the Chelsea level.

Based on what I've seen so far in this game and the City game - high pressing energy, essential for the shape etc - it just makes me wonder why on earth Ten Hag let Fred go

I thought out of possession he was our best player and integral to the press and shape that we had. We turned into Moments FC when he came off and we could have easily have lost/ been overwhelmed by Fulham in the last 30 as we were likely to win it.

Like others say, it's hard to judge the output without a striker etc but I did think on the ball there's a lot to be desired. Doesn't seem to have the weight of pass, eye for goal etc but has had some nice intricate touches here and there. I thought when we signed him we'd be getting a class player and I still do but I think he has a long way to go in terms of getting back to the Chelsea level.

Based on what I've seen so far in this game and the City game - high pressing energy, essential for the shape etc - it just makes me wonder why on earth Ten Hag let Fred go
He was central to our press being as good as it was in the first half. Hopefully getting some matches into the legs and finding the rythm will help find back to the player he used to be on the ball. I still think he can be a very good player for us, but he needs to get games. Right now he has no real working relationship with anyone on the pitch given that he really hasn't played a lot for us.

He was central to our press being as good as it was in the first half. Hopefully getting some matches into the legs and finding the rythm will help find back to the player he used to be on the ball. I still think he can be a very good player for us, but he needs to get games. Right now he has no real working relationship with anyone on the pitch given that he really hasn't played a lot for us.
Yes, this is what I hope too!

I'd really like to see us line up with a fairly dynamic front three like Garnacho, Diallo and Bruno (although Zirkzee looked yesterday like he can drop into pockets, pop up across a front three) and then see how Mount does with that in front of him.

Elite pressing and as I said in the match day thread, so unlucky to be taken off when it should have been Bruno (who didn't have a pre-season and was shite in this game).
Quite simply, Mount doesn’t do what Bruno did for the winner. Thats why Bruno stayed on, because he can do things that win us games.

I thought Mount played well but I disagree that we only started playing poorly after he went off. The rot started immediately after half time. I’m not exactly sure why. Maybe some tactical tweak by Fulham? Because we went from comfortable control to being on the back foot as soon as the second half started. Players like Diallo and Mainoo seemed to disappear from the game completely, after being heavily involved before half time. It was strange.

Mainoo had 66 touches and played 84 minutes.

Mount had 27 touches and played 61 minutes.

And Mainoo is 19 in his second season as a pro, Mount is 25, cost us 55m and is a seasoned professional. He should be in his prime or entering it soon, because it wont get better for him once he hits the 30's. It is mind boggling the excuses some serve up.

And Mainoo is 19 in his second season as a pro, Mount is 25, cost us 55m and is a seasoned professional. He should be in his prime or entering it soon, because it wont get better for him once he hits the 30's. It is mind boggling the excuses some serve up.
In five years.

In five years.

Yes, thats why i am saying that be should be showing us what he is made of. Another year or two of this and we will sell him at a massive loss. His career and perfromances are going downhill after the first two good years at Chelsea

Yes, thats why i am saying that be should be showing us what he is made of. Another year or two of this and we will sell him at a massive loss. His career and perfromances are going downhill after the first two good years at Chelsea
Another year or two of not playing because of injuries, definitely. If he continues in the vein of yesterday and improves with the team, he can have a role to play. Last night he could've easily scored and gotten an assist for Mainoo, so he showed his potential in possession as well as out of possession. Hopefully some more matches will bring his sharpness up and he'll start producing goals and assists regularly.

His off the ball work and hard work I can appreciate. If more talented players had the same work ethic and application ahm..sancho

We live and die by the Bruno sword. I for one want to see more of Mount ahead of Bruno, not necessarily permanently but at least rotation and when ending games.

For me, currently Mount is a decent rotation player and will probably play tough away games to add some work rate when Zirkzee's casual attitude isn't going to cut it. He's also probably sub #1 for several different spots:

- #10 when Bruno is rested or plays false-9,
- Off the bench for Mainoo when inevitably gets tired at 60'
- RW / LW assuming Sancho gets shot with a cannon into the ether

He'll get enough game time. It's up to him to prove he has more quality than just working hard for 90 minutes. I wouldn't even close out games currently with Mount over Bruno. Bruno has an insane engine and setup the best chance in the game for that Rashford + Garnacho 2v1 in the 92nd minute.

His performance last night showed why EtH wanted him - he's a pressing machine and offered a goal threat, whilst being comfortable on the ball.

I'm not worried about him as a player, he's a good addition to the squad - I only worry about his fitness

Truly baffled where all this praise is coming from. Yeah he's a good presser and his pressure contributed to a chance being created but you need to be more than just a presser to play 10 for Manchester United. Anonymous in the build up yet again and did nothing to link play between the midfield and the attack. We were much more coherent going forward when Bruno dropped into 10. Not a starter at all. Rotation 10 at best when Bruno is tired or injured. Cannot play in a traditional 3 as he is not a good enough passer or ball retainer.

I appreciate his willingness to press but we need to see a lot more from Mount with the ball. Perhaps we will.

He's by far our best presser and his movement off the ball is top class, players like this are generally under appreciated by the fans but loved by the managers.
Sounds eerily similar to our Jesse Lingard

He's a very good player to have in the squad. At his best, which we definitely haven't seen yet, he's a tidy, intelligent and hardworking player who can perform in multiple positions.

He might never become someone who has a fixed position in this first team, and thats fine, because I'll never worry about what we'll get when he is used.

People just need to realise what his role is at this club, and ideally stop going on about his transfer fee because it really doesn't matter. We have a high class, experienced player that will be very valuable for us over the next few seasons.

Clearly being earmarked as the season's scapegoat.

He was fine, and as good as I expected him to be after a long period spent out of the team. Led our press pretty well, got into dangerous positions and could have had an assist or even a goal to his name if we were slightly more clinical. Seems a good honest lad too who wants to work for the team, compared to some of his other teammates who are simply content to just collect their wages and spend their evenings playing FIFA. The comparisons to Lingard are ridiculous as well considering this was Chelsea's two time player of the year and a staple in a England team stacked with talent in the midfield positions.

I don't have him down as an automatic starter, especially when Hojlund returns and Zirkzee getting more match fit, but considering we have a long campaign ahead with Europa League football, I'd expect him to get plenty of minutes and we'll be glad we have a player like him as a squad option.

I'd suggest we get behind players like him and perhaps focus our ire towards the charlatans who clearly don't want to be here.

I would give him a serious go on the left if Rashford's form kept dipping. His positional sense is better than Rashford's and Bruno's, the two main EtH favorites. If it was up to me he would take either one of their spots whenever we play a team that is good on the ball and positional play, provided we have a striker available.

Love his effort, and think the game will come back to him, he hasn't had a chance to get going in a year basically.

Quite simply, Mount doesn’t do what Bruno did for the winner. Thats why Bruno stayed on, because he can do things that win us games.

I don't doubt that but up until that point it was the same Bruno we all know where many opportunities also died at his feet. Now considering he's not had a pre-season and has plenty of credit in the bank in terms of productivity I'm not saying he needs to be dropped entirely. I'm just saying I would like to see Mount on the pitch because he will more often than not actually try to play midfield like someone, who wants to pass and move, give it to the right areas and persons etc.

Was sure I'd gone back in time and was reading a Lingard performance thread until the last sentence.
We didn’t pay 60m+ for Lingard and he wasn’t earning more than our captain, so I think expectations for Mount should certainly be a bit higher

Jesse Lingard 2.0 off the ball, Donny Van de Beek on the ball.

He is just painfully average. He is not doing what he is supposed to do as an attacking midfielder/player on the ball. Like Lindelof hates defending, Mount hates the ball. He only likes chasing the ball.

It is not difficult to find a player that presses well and is making something happen with the ball. To me he is a complete waste of money and another of the many expensive bad signings post Fergie. But that was obvious that he would be useless before arriving.

He created two chances from hating the ball yesterday..

I don't doubt that but up until that point it was the same Bruno we all know where many opportunities also died at his feet. Now considering he's not had a pre-season and has plenty of credit in the bank in terms of productivity I'm not saying he needs to be dropped entirely. I'm just saying I would like to see Mount on the pitch because he will more often than not actually try to play midfield like someone, who wants to pass and move, give it to the right areas and persons etc.
Yeah, but Mount played 15 passes last night to Bruno’s 50. Lower accuracy too so if he’s playing like somebody who plays in midfield then it’s like McTominay in midfield.