Mason Greenwood, Marseille Footballer | Read the thread rules in the OP before posting

What about a whole sub forum?

We could have a thread on how his 'wife' has forgiven him?
That seems a bit much.

We really don't need this, the conversation has been done to death. Just focus on performances and thats it.
Based on a quick glance at this thread, it looks like people still want to discuss both. He will always garner interest in a footballing sense because he was our golden boy at one point and he will always be piled on because, well, he’s a scumbag.

I mean Marcus Alonso seems to have gotten his man-slaughterer tag shaken off him.
Are you joking? He got "murderer" shouted at him every single game he played for Chelsea.

Zouma always got boos for animal abuse and Greenwood will always get reminded of those pics and that audio.

Football fans never forget.

In a thread where every other post feels very aggressive, I appreciate this post. You acknowledged what op meant and come across as very calm.

Genuine question, agreed these people have done worse but why do some people not have the same reaction towards Giggs or Ronaldo?

Giggs is a vile scumbag. Everytime I hear "giggs" I think of a guy who batters his own partner and shagging his brothers missus for a decade.

Ronaldo's case is much murkier than Greenwoods, and if an audio recording of Ronaldo anally raping a woman ever came out or threatening to, I'd think the same of Ronaldo.

I'm not comparing morals, you just can't compare the two scenarios. Figo willingly left to join his clubs biggest rivals at the peak of his powers. Tevez coming back to play for City is more like Figo.....
Thats the problem right there. Instead of comparing the OBVIOUS fact MG would be a star player being played in a situation so hostile he'd probaly need body guard protection, just like happened to Figo, with the club holding his registration not giving a second thought to "resting him becsuse of what they crowd might di/how they felt". You are strangely more interested acting like why Figo left Real is being compared to why MG left United. As I said. This is entirely a your business......

I have zero interesting in engaging in any discussion trying to equate Figo's controversial transfer to MGs off field deeds nor reputation. For the two things have zilch to do with each other. All I've highlighted is a star player being willing played by a club away vs an opponent from which he'd face absolute hostilty to the point of needing police security protection. Nothing else.

For the record too, what Tevez did didn't rise any where near the level of what transpired with Figo. Not by a long shot. So it isn't remotely a valid comparison to the hypothetical of a side being drawn against United in a European tie when a lightening rod for hostility like MG is their star player.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I predicted on this forum that jamaica would go for him. Was always going to happen. I wonder if the public over there give a shit about his deeds? No idea, tbh.

He's far from the first, obviously, but I don't see the point in playing for a team you have no affinity for. Makes international football seem like club football. Where you can get transferred to another team.

I'm pretty sure I predicted on this forum that jamaica would go for him. Was always going to happen. I wonder if the public over there give a shit about his deeds? No idea, tbh.

He's far from the first, obviously, but I don't see the point in playing for a team you have no affinity for. Makes international football seem like club football. Where you can get transferred to another team.
Why would you assume he has no affinity for Jamaica?

Why would you assume he has no affinity for Jamaica?
Just a hunch, considering the link comes from his grandparents. Put it this way, i doubt he grew up wishing to play for them. Obviously, i don't know. But it's the same with most of the english lads who end up playing for scotland or wales. I just think what's the point.

I know the point is to play international football but I'm in a ideal world i wish players playing in it would be of the nationality that they're playing for. Or at the very least, have strong ties to the country.

To me it was a joke that Spain, of all countries!, had two french lads playing for them in the euro's :rolleyes:

Just a hunch, considering the link comes from his grandparents. Put it this way, i doubt he grew up wishing to play for them. Obviously, i don't know. But it's the same with most of the english lads who end up playing for scotland or wales. I just think what's the point.

I know the point is to play international football but I'm in a ideal world i wish players playing in it would be of the nationality that they're playing for. Or at the very least, have strong ties to the country.

To me it was a joke that Spain, of all countries!, had two french lads playing for them in the euro's :rolleyes:
I think maybe you can't relate to your average West Indians affinity for their heritage? I can't speak for him and his family specifically because I don't know them, but the vast majority that I know would be ecstatic to play for both...

The Jamaican national team? I mean come on.....

I think maybe you can't relate to your average West Indians affinity for their heritage? I can't speak for him and his family specifically because I don't know them, but the vast majority that I know would be ecstatic to play for both...

Under Shteve McLaren too!

I have no idea. Maybe, he's always felt jamaican. I'm doubtful but who knows. I'm sure he'll get to play in a WC so, good for him on that front.

I've always viewed international football as a sort of barometer on how good a countries youth system is. Parachuting in players from other countries defeats the purpose, imo. Although, I understand it to some degree with smaller nations who struggle to produce WC players. I also acknowledge that nationailty can be a complex subject

There is no excuse for spain doing it. Embarrassing behaviour. Only time England have done it (player wise) is hargreaves and that was a joke too.

I have no idea. Maybe, he's always felt jamaican. I'm doubtful but who knows. I'm sure he'll get to play in a WC so, good for him on that front.

I've always viewed international football as a sort of barometer on how good a countries youth system is. Parachuting in players from other countries defeats the purpose, imo. Although, I understand it to some degree with smaller nations who struggle to produce WC players. I also acknowledge that nationailty can be a complex subject

There is no excuse for spain doing it. Embarrassing behaviour. Only time England have done it (player wise) is hargreaves and that was a joke too.
Tomori, Zaha, Guehi, Sterling, Barnes were all born abroad along with a load of others who are capped for England.

Tomori, Zaha, Guehi, Sterling, Barnes were all born abroad along with a load of others who are capped for England.
I know, but they, as far as i know, all identify with being english. Even going way back, Terry butcher was not born in England. Crucially, they all got their football education here.

England was first choice for all those players.

If Greenwood decides to play for someone else other than England, it's because he can't get a game for England.
Of course it's obviously that and rightly so that he can't, it was more just a general point that I don't think being born in a country means you don't really have affinity for another country that's part of your heritage.

Are you of West Indian Heritage?

The maybe he always felt Jamaican is a bit of a silly point. Is he choosing them because he can't play for England, of course, no need to question whether he's felt Jamaican. As someone of West Indian heritage you very often have a strong west indian influence running through your family as I imagine people from other cultures do.

Are you of West Indian Heritage?

The maybe he always felt Jamaican is a bit of a silly point. Is he choosing them because he can't play for England, of course, no need to question whether he's felt Jamaican. As someone of West Indian heritage you very often have a strong west indian influence running through your family as I imagine people from other cultures do.
Definitely, most kids born or growing up in Europe with African ancestry (for the example I know a bit about) absolutely have family ties to the land of their parents, even if they have never actually set foot there themselves. Choupo-Moting, Matip, Mbappe, all born and bred in Europe have played or could have played for Cameroon and would all tell you they felt Cameroonian even if they got to visit the country for the first time only in adulthood.

Maybe having an embarrassment of top players to pick from can make you turn your nose up at a player choosing to play for another nation because they can't get into the squad for their first choice but the lesser football nations are usually happy to pick eligible players from the leftover scrap of the bigger nations. It's mutually beneficial, the country picks up a talented player with national roots who can help them achieve success and the player gets to play international football. What's there not to like about it? Many very good players would never get to play international competitions (and the world cup) if not of this opportunity.

Definitely, most kids born or growing up in Europe with African ancestry (for the example I know a bit about) absolutely have family ties to the land of their parents, even if they have never actually set foot there themselves. Choupo-Moting, Matip, Mbappe, all born and bred in Europe have played or could have played for Cameroon and would all tell you they felt Cameroonian even if they got to visit the country for the first time only in adulthood.

Maybe having an embarrassment of top players to pick from can make you turn your nose up at a player choosing to play for another nation because they can't get into the squad for their first choice but the lesser football nations are usually happy to pick eligible players from the leftover scrap of the bigger nations. It's mutually beneficial, the country picks up a talented player with national roots who can help them achieve success and the player gets to play international football. What's there not to like about it? Many very good players would never get to play international competitions (and the world cup) if not of this opportunity.
I get it, but, and this is especially true for big nations who have no excuse, I like to see one countries football system on display Vs another. Defeats that point if you get players with their football education elsewhere. Others view the purpose of international football differently, but that's how i like to view it.

He’s unbelievable, so fecking talented. Such a natural finisher. Loved tracking him through the youth teams and was so excited when he made the step up. But he is what he is.