Mason Greenwood, Marseille Footballer | Read the thread rules in the OP before posting

The thing is, if this were strictly a performance thread it would de facto become a gushfest for a very probable domestic abuser and/or rapist, as many of us couldn't care less about his footballing skills so wouldn't comment when he does nothing, whereas when he played okay there would be dozens of posts drooling over him and I for one 100% agree that we can't have that. His thread last season was like that, a ghost town when he was anonymous and a swarm of fanbois when he'd score in a 12-0 win against some bakers and students.

Reactions: Wibble
The thing is, if this were strictly a performance thread it would de facto become a gushfest for a very probable domestic abuser and/or rapist, as many of us couldn't care less about his footballing skills so wouldn't comment when he does nothing, whereas when he played okay there would be dozens of posts drooling over him and I for one 100% agree that we can't have that. His thread last season was like that, a ghost town when he was anonymous and a swarm of fanbois when he'd score in a 12-0 win against some bakers and students.
Agreed. Plus whenever we play badly or a striker messes up his fanboys would pop up here as well and argue he's Raul. The thread does help keep this stuff here instead of other threads though.

And that has nothing to do with performances or discussion...
Why not discussion? Hes going to have to get used to it as are people who put the blinkers on to what he’s done and try to watch football performance without context

Why not discussion? Hes going to have to get used to it as are people who put the blinkers on to what he’s done and try to watch football performance without context

Performance? No. Discussion? It certainly does.

I mean, he is a fecking rapist, but that shouldn't be a reason why people here shouldn't have decent football discussion without mentioning it or being biased when judging his performances from strictly football point of view. Simply because this is football forum first, and he is, unfortunately, allowed to play football.

Or did you made that fine long time ago in this thread, and I am just late to the party?

Reims concede a lot of goals. He’ll score one or two tomorrow.

I mean, he is a fecking rapist, but that shouldn't be a reason why people here shouldn't have decent football discussion without mentioning it or being biased when judging his performances from strictly football point of view. Simply because this is football forum first, and he is, unfortunately, allowed to play football.

Or did you made that fine long time ago in this thread, and I am just late to the party?
I mean you know what he is, so why does he deserve people trying to normalise it by only wanting discuss it. In essence people are saying “I enjoy watching him play football and I don’t care what he’s done”. Disgusting

Reactions: Wibble

The Caf is not in the business of protecting people like Greenwood.

It seems there are two different groups of people in this thread. One set is those interested in following the performances of MG the former academy player of United (who messed up very badly and has been allowed by society to try to get his life back together) while the other is so absolutely disgusted by MG the suspected rapist that they don’t want any discussion about him which doesn’t involve recalling the awful stuff he supposedly did. I don’t find fault with either side but they make any MG thread thoroughly exhausting for everyone with the same tired discussions round and round, over and over again.

I have a crazy solution for those who just can’t be bothered to put threads on ignore. Either MG should be a taboo/banned topic of discussion on the Caf’ (with warnings for offenders) or an arrangement should be agreed: during match day discussions about his performance, no mention of his deeds outside football, then in-between matches (or when he underperforms and there is nothing to talk about), those interested should be free to remind the world about the reasons of their disgust. No interactions between both sides (no quotes, no attacks, no replies, no snide comments) nothing new or good comes from that. Bookmarks can be used to delimit the sections.

Crazy idea, I know, but maybe it can make this thread a little bit more sane.

It seems there are two different groups of people in this thread. One set is those interested in following the performances of MG the former academy player of United (who messed up very badly and has been allowed by society to try to get his life back together) while the other is so absolutely disgusted by MG the suspected rapist that they don’t want any discussion about him which doesn’t involve recalling the awful stuff he supposedly did. I don’t find fault with either side but they make any MG thread thoroughly exhausting for everyone with the same tired discussions round and round, over and over again.

I have a crazy solution for those who just can’t be bothered to put threads on ignore. Either MG should be a taboo/banned topic of discussion on the Caf’ (with warnings for offenders) or an arrangement should be agreed: during match day discussions about his performance, no mention of his deeds outside football, then in-between matches (or when he underperforms and there is nothing to talk about), those interested should be free to remind the world about the reasons of their disgust. No interactions between both sides (no quotes, no attacks, no replies, no snide comments) nothing new or good comes from that. Bookmarks can be used to delimit the sections.

There are only 2 solutions. 1) this thread as described in the OP, or 2) we close the tread and prohibit all Greenwood discussion.

What isn't going to happen is a thread where the modmins are responsible for deleting comment about his behaviour. The Caf does not protect people like him.

I think can bang 20+ in the league. This OM side should be better on paper and create more chances than last season’s OM

One set is those interested in following the performances of MG the former academy player of United (who messed up very badly and has been allowed by society to try to get his life back together)
interesting way to describe it.
Society had nothing to do with it, the reason he’s not playing prison football right now is because the witness didn’t move forward with it. These type of cases are rarely tried in the U.K. without a witness. He’s extremely lucky, not only in law but also in the fact that he can still play football at a big team in France.

I mean you know what he is, so why does he deserve people trying to normalise it by only wanting discuss it. In essence people are saying “I enjoy watching him play football and I don’t care what he’s done”. Disgusting

He deserves nothing, but people who want to have decent football discussion deserve it without mentioning outside factors. As I said, I couldn't care less about the cnut, but if have already decided to moderate the thread in that manner, I have nothing against it either, it just means that I will avoid it because that is not football forum thread for me then.

The Caf is not in the business of protecting people like Greenwood.

No one said it should, however many threads are protected from off topic, and this thread is in football forum.

He deserves nothing, but people who want to have decent football discussion deserve it without mentioning outside factors. As I said, I couldn't care less about the cnut, but if have already decided to moderate the thread in that manner, I have nothing against it either, it just means that I will avoid it because that is not football forum thread for me then.

No one said it should, however many threads are protected from off topic, and this thread is in football forum.
His behaviour is very much on topic. You can't separate it and if you did you would be endorsing it.

As I said earlier the choices are Greenwood fans either get used to it or we close the thread and ban all Greenwood discussion. A number of modmins were for this because they though there was zero chance that Greenwood fans wouldn't moan and want his behaviour whitewashed. It is beginning to look like they were right.

You forgot the third type...the ones who downplay what he did.

Do you think I am Greenwood fan or something?
I'd say anyone who is interested enough to want to follow one of our former players a few years after he last played for us must be at least a bit of a fan?

You’re interested enough to give a shit how he performs at Marseille

Yeah, I am incredibly interested in how he performs I had to double check for which club he plays before posting here. That's actually insulting because I have hardly ever posted about him since the audio came out and I have mostly insulted him whenever I posted anyway.

I'd say anyone who is interested enough to want to follow one of our former players a few years after he last played for us must be at least a bit of a fan?

That's because you hardly follow or discuss football by the looks of it. You might as well censor his name and call him player 99 for all I care about his persona, but there will alway be lot of of football people(not just United fans) who will talk about him if he becomes good player.

Imagine if we were to draw Marseille in the Europa League - that could be an interesting couple of ties.

Yeah, I am incredibly interested in how he performs I had to double check for which club he plays before posting here. That's actually insulting because I have hardly ever posted about him since the audio came out and I have mostly insulted him whenever I posted anyway.
Incredibly interested but insulted at being assumed to be a fan? OK then.
That's because you hardly follow or discuss football by the looks of it. You might as well censor his name and call him player 99 for all I care about his persona, but there will alway be lot of of football people(not just United fans) who will talk about him if he becomes good player.
I've not quite sure where you are going with this but I've supported United for about twice your whole lifetime. So what? Are you trying to say because I avoid bullshit about xG or the merits of 4–1–3–2 vs 4–1–2–1–2, or whatever other Football Manager bollocks, that made fans think they were experts, makes moderating a tread about a wrongun inappropriate?

And if you (and others) keep on whinging about poor Mason's treatment the discussion ban you suggest becomes far more likely.

What are you on about?

Incredibly interested but insulted at being assumed to be a fan? OK then.

I've not quite sure where you are going with this but I've supported United for about twice your whole lifetime. So what? Are you trying to say because I avoid bullshit about xG or the merits of 4–1–3–2 vs 4–1–2–1–2, or whatever other Football Manager bollocks, that made fans think they were experts, makes moderating a tread about a wrongun inappropriate?

And if you (and others) keep on whinging about poor Mason's treatment the discussion ban you suggest becomes far more likely.

Being united fan your whole life has nothing to do with you being involved in football discussions, or you think you win in life because you are twice older than me?

Bolded part again, are you fecking serious? Who said anything about that? You are putting words in my mouth, just because you are modmin here that doesn't make you act like a cnut towards people.

There are only 2 solutions. 1) this thread as described in the OP, or 2) we close the tread and prohibit all Greenwood discussion.

What isn't going to happen is a thread where the modmins are responsible for deleting comment about his behaviour. The Caf does not protect people like him.
Well, my (admittedly crazy) idea was to try to prevent the tired discussions which have already been done to death and which I don’t think anyone learns anything new from but if the modmins like this thread the way it is, then so be it.

Also, I don’t think my idea implied in any way protecting him. Just protecting discussions in this thread, or don’t allow discussions at all.

interesting way to describe it.
Society had nothing to do with it, the reason he’s not playing prison football right now is because the witness didn’t move forward with it. These type of cases are rarely tried in the U.K. without a witness. He’s extremely lucky, not only in law but also in the fact that he can still play football at a big team in France.
He might be very lucky as you say but he hasn’t been banned from playing football, in fact he hasn’t been banned from anything whatsoever. As far as I understand, according to society’s current laws, he’s free to live a “normal” life.

You forgot the third type...the ones who downplay what he did.
I didn’t mention those because I think they are relatively few around these days. There might have been several of those when the story broke and when he was released but I don’t see them any longer (maybe I don’t follow closely enough). Anyway, warnings and bans can take care of them.

A performance only thread creates a space where only his 'admirers' wil post when he plays well.
I’m taking purely and only about myself here: I have generally always been adept at separating the art from the artist. I very easily admire an artist’s talent and performance apart from his personality. With my suggestion, both his “admirers” and critics get to express themselves freely but without the tiresome bickering.

Why should he be protected from criticism about his behaviour?
He should absolutely and deservedly be criticised for behavioural issues, I just thought others like me were fed up of the same repeated backs and forths and was thinking of a way to separate football talk from behavioural matters within this thread, since currently it is a bit of a mess for everyone. I can imagine it’s not easy to moderate but if the current system doesn’t feel messed up for others then so be it.

Being united fan your whole life has nothing to do with you being involved in football discussions, or you think you win in life because you are twice older than me?
You were suggesting I shouldn't have an opinion because I didn't post enough in the football forums. And what part of "So what" didn't you understand?
Bolded part again, are you fecking serious? Who said anything about that? You are putting words in my mouth, just because you are modmin here that doesn't make you act like a cnut towards people.
You are continually moaning about his behavior being mentioned. If not what are you moaning about?

And yes - very serious. You are in danger of a thread ban for taking the discussion off topic and getting the whole thread shut. Surely that is obvious?

Last edited:
Quality control
You are continually moaning about his behavior being mentioned.

Where on earth did I moan about that? Are you fecking blind from getting old or what?

You are suggesting that he shouldn't be criticised for his past behaviour. If not what is your problem?

Where man? Where did I say that? I can't believe you are fecking modmin here, no wonder majority of folks wanted you gone from that position. Go talk about kids water polo, it seems that's the only thing you talk about anyway.

You are in danger of a thread ban for taking the discussion off topic and getting the whole thread shut. Surely that is obvious?

Have you seen how many posts I have posted about MG since he is done with us, do you seriously think this will mean anything for me? If anything you will damage the forum from more clicks than me.

Where on earth did I moan about that? Are you fecking blind from getting old or what?

Where man? Where did I say that? I can't believe you are fecking modmin here, no wonder majority of folks wanted you gone from that position. Go talk about kids water polo, it seems that's the only thing you talk about anyway

Have you seen how many posts I have posted about MG since he is done with us, do you seriously think this will mean anything for me? If anything you will damage the forum from more clicks than me.

I'm confused. If you have no issue with him being criticised then what is your problem with him being criticised? Why are you posting to complain about it?

Last edited:
What nuance and context do you think is missing?
If Marseille and United were to be drawn together. No one will be allowed to talk about just the match nor the performances in it. Any mention of the said will be innundated with people bringing up his issues or people decrying those uninterested in dwelling on them. With accusations of "rape apologists', 'fan bois' and worse flying around.

If Marseille and United were to be drawn together. No one will be allowed to talk about just the match nor the performances in it. Any mention of the said will be innundated with people bringing up his issues or people decrying those uninterested in dwelling on them. With accusations of "rape apologists', 'fan bois' and worse flying around.

That's correct Chief. If we draw OM, the site shuts down on matchday.