Marcus Rashford England flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
This is one of the few occasions I'd feel any sort of sympathy for or try to defend Rashford, but there's no rhyme or reason to Ten Hag.

Rashford stinks the joint out for the past 12 months solid, but is practically never dropped and scarcely subbed by Ten Hag.

Then, when he finally shows that he MIGHT be approaching something resembling a bit of form and confidence, Ten Hag benches him! And then brings him on to replace a player whom Rashford may actually benefit from playing with!

It doesn't excuse Rashford playing like a sulky teenager when he comes on, but I just don't get Ten Hag's thought process at all.

This is one of the few occasions I'd feel any sort of sympathy for or try to defend Rashford, but there's no rhyme or reason to Ten Hag.

Rashford stinks the joint out for the past 12 months solid, but is practically never dropped and scarcely subbed by Ten Hag.

Then, when he finally shows that he MIGHT be approaching something resembling a bit of form and confidence, Ten Hag benches him! And then brings him on to replace a player whom Rashford may actually benefit from playing with!

It doesn't excuse Rashford playing like a sulky teenager when he comes on, but I just don't get Ten Hag's thought process at all.
You could have called it really with the primadonna mentality that some players at the club still have.

Still the decision to drop him after the Barnsley game is baffling, and I'm sure he felt the same notions.

It almost looks like the mentality is "you benched me for no reason, so why should I bother when you sub me on, I should've started"

You could have called it really with the primadonna mentality that some players at the club still have.

Still the decision to drop him after the Barnsley game is baffling, and I'm sure he felt the same notions.

It almost looks like the mentality is "you benched me for no reason, so why should I bother when you sub me on, I should've started"

Didn't think decision to start Garnacho and ‘rotate’ Rashford that big a deal in and of itself. Indeed, first half team performance was good bar not taking chances. What was unforgivable by ETH was -

1) The need to reignite a media storm/undermine the confidence of a ‘fragile’ player whose form has improved:

“He has to set his life right, his training attitude right, he has to set his match attitude right. When he sets his professionalism he will perform because he's a class player."

It was almost like ETH was intent on taking the credit for the improvement in Marcus’ form. ETH wasn’t smart enough to understand that by making such comments public at the same time as he was putting Rashford on the bench there was likely to be a furore and he could undermine the loyalty he has shown the player.

2) Subsitute Marcus on initially as a CF. He plays his best football against PL opposition, especially away from home, on the left. Take Amad off and shift Garnacho, fair enough.

How are people acting surprised that he played badly when he came on? What have you been watching for the past 2 years?

We know he's streaky - we know he's a confidence player. He was finally showing signs of confidence again after months and months in the doldrums - we scored against Southampton and then the gods blessed us with the perfect game midweek to springboard a nice little run and then our moron of a manager undoes all that good fortune by bursting his bubble at the very first opportunity.

We know he's not a mentality monster. He was never going to come off the bench today and change the game. Maybe if he was 3 months into a brilliant scoring run he might have come on with the bit between his teeth, but after months of shite and criticism - any person with a passing knowledge of football and the player knew his head would drop.

There's no point criticising the lad for it tonight, he isn't going to change who he is at this stage.

Ten Hag on the other hand has a 300k a week forward who scores goals in streaks when he's feeling good, and he has a team that is struggling to score goals. To not make use of the past two games just proves he doesn't understand his players and will never be able to get the best out of them. It's one of the single worst decisions (and there have been plenty of shockers) in his entire time here.
Maybe we can sell Rashford and a few others to ETH once he gets the deserved boot and hopefully goes to a club with the resources to get him high profile players.

With his track record, ETH would definitely come in for our players as he has worked with them. Silver lining and all that :p

How are people blaming Rashford for yesterday?

It was Ten Hag that took off Zirkzee for Rashford - who is a player any inverted forward needs due to his link up play. If Rashford was going to come on as a sub, Ten Hag should have kept Zirkzee on.

Then 20 mins later he brings on Hojlund centrally basically going back to our last season's tactics where we play two inverted forwards who are not creative enough widely for a striker who right now is just a poacher.

Poor tactics & its got nothing to do with Rashford.

If we went to:

Rashford - Zirkzee- Garnacho

Yesterday there's a good chance we would have got a goal yesterday.

Pointless bringing him on and taking Zirkzee off

Both rashford and garnach will thrive with Zirkzee. Zirkzees the link up man who provides the throughballs for the pace of both garnacho and rashford.

Rashfords performance was due to no service.

Zirkzee is a focal point that needs to play every game, with rashford, garnacho and amad rotating on the flanks

Hojlund is odd man out and only comes on if we're chasing a game

It's possible his overall contributions in the league games this season meant the manager always earmarked him for rotation for this game and that his inclusion against Barnsley was down to the fact Ten Hag knew he wasn't playing against Palace.

The manager spoke about the need to compete physically before the game, maybe the most adverse player to physical contact in the league was always likely to lose his place? Or maybe the two goals against Barnsley weren't quite the Ballon d'Or nomination worthy lore has come to suggest over the last few days.

He sure as hell proved a point after coming on though, jogging lightly around the pitch, rarely troubling the ball. That's what you want when you bring on one of your most senior players, suppposedly high in confidence and...um... oh yes, 'back'

There is nothing weird or wrong in rotating him. He scored goals against a league one team.

Garnacho had not started a league game thus far in the campaign, and Rashford had not shown anything exceptional in the PL that he should be undroppable.

If he believes that because he scored a goal in the PL after 20 games or so, and 2 goals against a league one team, that he should be a starter and then he sulks (as always) when he comes on, the only thing he achieves is that those who called for him to being sold are 100% correct.

I don't see anything wrong with dropping him. Being an English player, the media will always be keen to kick up a storm over team selections excluding him. Did he offer anything more than Garnacho or Zirkzee when he came on? No. I do not recall any notable action by him. And, if he needs Zirkzee to perform well, then that speaks more about the quality of player he is currently. It is good that no one is insulated against being dropped.

There is nothing weird or wrong in rotating him. He scored goals against a league one team.

Garnacho had not started a league game thus far in the campaign, and Rashford had not shown anything exceptional in the PL that he should be undroppable.

If he believes that because he scored a goal in the PL after 20 games or so, and 2 goals against a league one team, that he should be a starter and then he sulks (as always) when he comes on, the only thing he achieves is that those who called for him to being sold are 100% correct.

The only thing slightly weird is that we never dropped him when he was terrible. Maddening.

But as soon as he looks to be picking up some form, on the bench he goes.

That's some strange logic from ETH.

The only thing slightly weird is that we never dropped him when he was terrible. Maddening.

It helps with much stronger competitions this year.

The thing is he's a better goalscorer than Amad. I really like Amad a lot but i don't see enough goals in the team despite the midweek game scoreline. We've been relying on Rashford to get it together for the past few years now and now it seems we have more drama with our most senior star forward. Whatever may be going on behind the scenes we don't need it. So frustrating!
Oh I couldn’t agree with you more.. but amad brings so much more to the all round play. That’s the conundrum. Either way in the next few transfer windows a serious discussion will have to be had for all parties, including rashford. Something is a miss with him.

Don’t get the big deal with him not starting. We played great in the first half, and the performance went downhill as soon as he came on. Probably more to do with Zirkzee going off but the link up play in the first half was the best I’ve seen in ages.

Correct but even still, we’ve got better options this year than last. Amad and Zirkzee give us a chance to rotate more and rashford shouldn’t be starting every game anyway based on his style and his form over the last year and a half.

Give the man a break. Let him start with zz and let's see how that plays out. Fancy him to get back to scoring quickly (unless theres anything in this ETH vs Rashford rematch rumour, which would be incredibly stupid and self sabotaging)

Give the man a break. Let him start with zz and let's see how that plays out. Fancy him to get back to scoring quickly (unless theres anything in this ETH vs Rashford rematch rumour, which would be incredibly stupid and self sabotaging)
I think he's a better option than Garnacho at this point, but I understand there's not a lot in it at the moment. I hope there isn't another manager clash, last thing we need.

I think he's a better option than Garnacho at this point, but I understand there's not a lot in it at the moment. I hope there isn't another manager clash, last thing we need.
Garnacho is great though, hope he keeps improving and working hard. This team is looking pretty good though (if not clinical enough in those dominant periods)

Why is he a better option? Garnacho is consistently, and significantly more dangerous to any opposition, unless we're watching different games.

Why is he a better option? Garnacho is consistently, and significantly more dangerous to any opposition, unless we're watching different games.
For me, this season, I think Rashford has shown more when he has played. Garnacho is a threat in behind, but is too erratic with his finishing to start. There's not much in it, I think Rashford is more clinical at the moment.

I’d like to see be an Zirkzee in a front two. I don’t really have confidence in Rashford as a winger anymore. He just never looks in control of the ball when running with it.

Prople were clamoring for eth to drop rashy for garnacho- then rashy scored 3 goals against the worst team in the league and a midtable league 1 side and then they were horrified he was dropped for garnacho- but guess what? Garnacho also scored a brace against barnsleh. The recency bias is crazy

Prople were clamoring for eth to drop rashy for garnacho- then rashy scored 3 goals against the worst team in the league and a midtable league 1 side and then they were horrified he was dropped for garnacho- but guess what? Garnacho also scored a brace against barnsleh. The recency bias is crazy
This was my first thought when people started moaning based on some nonsensical media reports. Garna did well in Barnsley game and his inclusion was well deserved.
Think some folks are just looking for a reason to figuratively, stick their knives into ETH.

So now when Rashford has a typical Rashford-game as of late - the other players on the field are to blame.
However much sympathy anyone has for him, the sympathy he feels for himself looks to be tenfold.

That’s the Rashford we’ve been longing for! He took on his man and beat him time and time again with pace and skill. No idea why he was subbed off as he was our most dangerous player.

Very lively with some of of this world dribbling but unfortunatly ineffective when matters in key moments. And again some half-hearted marking/tracking back.

Garnacho always looks more threatening than him.

Rashfords off the ball movement when we are in posession is a bit off. Always coming short to play the ball inside.

He looked really fresh tonight. Possibly our best player. I have no idea why Ten Hag took him off. Rashy being a confidence player and all that...

Had a good game and shouldn't have been subbed imo, and I've got next to no patience for him and want him sold at the earliest opportunity.

I think he played quite well, he is much more lively and running at his full back. Still not sure that there is much after that in terms of a good enough final part.

Wouldn't have taken him off either, felt like he would have offered more towards the end of the game than Bruno.

Some flashy stuff but actually pretty terrible, no doubt people will be taken in by the flashy stuff and tell us he was fantastic. Beat a man then do something. One of his major issues is that he gets over confident somewhat arrogant and then just becomes a detriment to himself and the team.

So frustrating, he played that like he thought we’d walk it because “he was so much better”