Marcus Rashford England flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
He was getting pelters from the Stratford end. He should have accelerated, attempted to get a toe on the ball, and if not just stick his body in there and give away the free kick. Instead he just gave up shrugged and jogged behind VdV, which is sadly absolutely standard for him.
I agree that it wasn't good what he did after losing the ball, just saying that whether he tracked back or not, VdV was gone and wasn't gonna get caught up

No, he kicked the ball first and Garnacho was in front of him, he was focused on him and VdV used that split second of inattention to disposses him cleanly. After that there was feck all Rashford could do cause VdV was gone. He could never have won the ball, VdV timed his intervention perfectly
We’ll have to disagree on this one.

Looking at what happened until the goal, what would that have accomplished tbh ?

What a silly statement - anything can happen in the 60 odd yards towards goal. You get track back and cover running attackers if you can't win the ball back. Inexcusable.

What a silly statement - anything can happen in the 60 odd yards towards goal. You get track back and covers attackers if you can't win the ball back. Inexcusable.
Not in this case, I repeat wtf was Rashford gonna do in this precise exemple ? Spare me the idiotic generalization of "anything can happen". Sometimes there's nothing to do.

Rashford should have tracked not because it would have helped the team because it wouldn't have in this case but mainly to appease the fans who never like a player who drops his head.

I will say it again, whether he turned back to run or not, no one was gonna stop VdV from reaching the byline. It would have been an effort for his dignity but ultimately pointless

He looks like an amateur player, and I am not even overreacting. He just doesn't have good football intelligence and that has been obvious for years.

Not in this case, I repeat wtf was Rashford gonna do in this precise exemple ? Spare me the idiotic generalization of "anything can happen". Sometimes there's nothing to do.

Rashford should have tracked not because it would have helped the team because it wouldn't have in this case but mainly to appease the fans who never like a player who drops his head.

I will say it again, whether he turned back to run or not, no one was gonna stop VdV from reaching the byline. It would have been an effort for his dignity but ultimately pointless

Incredible the way your mind works. "Not in this case" - The guy had 60 yards to run... quite literally anything can happen - its not a guaranteed goal is it?

You ALWAYS track back when you lose the ball - there is no excuse not to.

The story of his career is, a good player who the club, fans, media and himself think is a great player.

He has repeatedly shown his s his true level for the last five years but for some strange reason there’s a hope of ‘getting him back to his best’.

The privilege he’s had as a United player far exceeds his contributions on the pitch. I’d argue that no player in the history of this club has had a bigger gap between privilege and performance.

Incredible the way your mind works. "Not in this case" - The guy had 60 yards to run... quite literally anything can happen - its not a guaranteed goal is it?

The biggest crime here is to lose the ball in the first place.

Whilst our off the ball work is obviously important, our fans really do overlook that almost every problem we have could be solved by not losing the ball cheaply.

Rashford epitomises what is wrong with this team with his poor decision making, poor ball retention and poor execution.

A senior player at one of the biggest clubs in the world should not need to go out there with believe in yourself written on his fecking boots. He just doesn’t have the fight or belief to be at a big club when things aren’t going well, the ultimate confidence player…….who never has any.

Absolutely pathetic performance. An absolute disgrace to give up on the ball so easily for the first goal.

Frequently ran the ball out of play or misplaced relatively simple passes. What's the point of having him up field with a high ball played forward. He doesn't even attempt to win a header because he has zero bravery.

I don't see any easy way out, but Rashford needs moving out of this club as he is a picture of failure.

I said he should have tracked back but seeing what unfolded afterwards, it wouldn't have mounted to shit. Incredible the way your mind works too seeing as you cannot read.

It's getting to the point where I'm asking myself if he was ever really that talented. I mean, I'm pretty sure he was at some point but we haven't seen it for two years.

You are right that he would never have caught up to VDV, he was already in forward motion when taking the ball and was about 20yards ahead instantly.

The problem was him completely avoiding the 50-50 challenge when he saw he had lost the ball and instead just jogged past him. He literally jumps out of the way and keeps going without looking back. Bizarre honestly, if he'd body checked him or committed to a challenge in any way, just grabbed him, anything, it would have slowed his sprint down and possibly allowed others to recover back. IMO it was a completely inexcusable lack of commitment.

Whilst our off the ball work is obviously important, our fans really do overlook that almost every problem we have could be solved by not losing the ball cheaply.

Rashford epitomises what is wrong with this team with his poor decision making, poor ball retention and poor execution.

100% agree - but if you do lose it - at least show the effort to help the team.

You are right that he would never have caught up to VDV, he was already in forward motion when taking the ball and was about 20yards ahead instantly.

The problem was him completely avoiding the 50-50 challenge when he saw he had lost the ball and instead just jogged past him. He literally jumps out of the way and keeps going without looking back. Bizarre honestly, if he'd body checked him or committed to a challenge in any way, just grabbed him, anything, it would have slowed his sprint down and possibly allowed others to recover back. IMO it was a completely inexcusable lack of commitment.
Thank you for understanding part of what I said.

I said he should have tracked back but seeing what unfolded afterwards, it wouldn't have mounted to shit. Incredible the way your mind works too seeing as you cannot read.

Nice try but you said he should track back to appease the fans... whatever that means. He doesn't have the benefit of hindsight, there is still 60 yards to our goal... - so do you job and make the effort to be a body in the box.

At least we know you accept our players giving up and then making silly excuses for them after. Never go into coaching.

Nice try but you said he should track back to appease the fans... whatever that means. He doesn't have the benefit of hindsight, there is still 60 yards to our goal... - so do you job and make the effort.

At least we know you accept our players giving up and then making silly excuses for them after. Never go into coaching.
Yes that's what I said. He should have tracked back, you still don't get what I said seemingly. It would have been good for him that the fans see him bust a gut even if ultimately it'd have been pointless.
If you can't get it now then there is feck all I can do for you

For me, he has always been a decent squad player, happy to sit on the bench but do his job whenever needed. No where as talented as people try to make him out to be even at his peak. It seems now he's not even good enough for the bench.

Hindsight is 20/20 but we should never ever have offered him the new contract. He seems worse now than Sanchez was for us, and that’s saying something.

Not sure what he offers, seems to have lost quite a bit of pace, poor movement, can't beat a player, not creative enough and obviously not scoring (I don't count micky mouse games).

He looks like a busted player to be honest.

VdV is running at full tilt and is as rapid a centre back as there is in the league Rashford still had to turn and run back I mean he would have still be 20 or 30 yards behind him when Johnson put the ball in the net, apply some critical thinking other than anything can happen

I feel as if Shaw coming back - one day it might happen - will help Rashford find consistent form again.

Those two link up really well together. When you've got Shaw bombing forward on the overlap the defender is in two minds as to where the attack is going. Whereas with no Shaw and no overlap the defender knows he's coming inside every time, he's ready for it and it just doesn't work.

I mean it's not the only thing, he's not playing well in general, but I suspect it will improve matters.

Absolutely. Was it a pass or a bad touch?

You feck up badly, so you attempt to make up for it by giving your best to win the ball back, it doesn't really matter if that's by tracking whoever took the ball off you or by running back to increase the numbers in defense. It's not like losing the ball in that position should result in an open highway towards our goal, the gist of it is that it's an attitude thing, maybe you won't win the ball back or be of any help in that specific situation, but more often than not you will help out if you consistently display that attitude.

You feck up badly, so you attempt to make up for it by giving your best to win the ball back, it doesn't really matter if that's by tracking whoever took the ball off you or by running back to increase the numbers in defense. It's not like losing the ball in that position should result in an open highway towards our goal, the gist of it is that it's an attitude thing, maybe you won't win the ball back or be of any help in that specific situation, but more often than not you will help out if you consistently display that attitude.
I don't disagree, whatever the drive , Rashford should have tracked back. All I am saying is that, it would have ultimately been a pointless effort. He just ain't wired like that I guess

local lad, boyhood fan, born red, united in his blood, but wouldn't jog 10m for this club.
huge Pogba vibes. get rid ASAP.

I don't disagree, whatever the drive , Rashford should have tracked back. All I am saying is that, it would have ultimately been a pointless effort. He just ain't wired like that I guess

Most likely it wouldn't have mattered in that specific situation, but i think it's overall a large part of the reason for his struggles so it's fairly understandable that it's brought up. Ideally you'd want him to just concede a foul as soon as he sees that he's fecked up. Preferably by not begging for a yellow card ala Mount

For me, he has always been a decent squad player, happy to sit on the bench but do his job whenever needed. No where as talented as people try to make him out to be even at his peak. It seems now he's not even good enough for the bench.
This is where I’m at too. Never saw the fuss with him, he always looked a player that relied a great deal on just knock-it-ahead pace and a venomous shot. Which sounds exciting but it came /comes with poor consistency in execution and low IQ in other facets like ball retention. Definitely not a player to build a top 4 squad around.

He's what happens if you pretend Luke Chadwick had Wayne Rooney levels of talent.

Kick and run merchant, who's now been found out by fullbacks who tuck in and render him useless. Cannot pass on the inside as more intelligent players would, cant manipulate his way around defenders, and definitely can't use his body in a way that gets defenders scared to tackle him in the box.

I was 100% sure today that he wouldn't get past Porro (who's not a great fullback if we are being honest). Nothing he does surprises me again as I've seen enough of Rashford to know he's done and will never reach previous heights again. The one thing he had over fullbacks, his pace, seem to be useless now with them figuring out how to tame it.

Garnacho was in the same position & didnt try either. Not all players play like rechargable batteries like park ji sung or mount, some players need to store their stamina & both Garnacho & Rashford knew they wouldnt track back in time. I saw Rashford more defensive than usual yesterday, i remember him defending as the last defender once & covering for Dalot at Lb.

gg5vffX.webp

our wingers are not good enough, and Rashford is obviously the worst of 4 this season (see the red dots above; for Antony stats of last year was used).

Most likely it wouldn't have mattered in that specific situation, but i think it's overall a large part of the reason for his struggles so it's fairly understandable that it's brought up. Ideally you'd want him to just concede a foul as soon as he sees that he's fecked up. Preferably by not begging for a yellow card ala Mount
That's exactly what I have been saying.