Luke Shaw image 23

Luke Shaw England flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

Standards of left back are not exactly high these days but at no point has he achieved "best left back in the Premier league" status or ever having potential to be one. Bloody hell, United used to have Patrice.

Shaw loses concentration more often than not, struggles to keep up pace, struggles to make swift overlapping runs because of his frame, can't stay fit and has been here for a decade yet you could barely count his good performances.

Lounges around the club on a huge salary, modeling new football kits and every season, he concocts the "Phil Jones new season new man" illusion. A ruthless club makes an example of players like him.
Geez.....if that is how you rate Luke you must think the rest of the team are shite :lol:

He played 45 minutes in last 6 months (not with United), and isn't fit now. A joke. I wonder what the plan is for the season because he sure as hell isn't playing majority of it, not to mention 2 games a week.

Many of us predicted it but still annoyed to see it come to pass... he managed to get fit for the business end of the Euros having missed our run in and then lo and behold has fitness issues again when United need him.

Apologies for repeating the stat but Antony Martial who rightly got a lot of stick for being unreliable has played more games for us than Shaw despite having signed for us a season later.

More horrifying than this though is that Martial played more games for us than Shaw last season. I honestly couldn't believe that as I barely remember Martial playing a minute for us.

He's a top player ability wise but we cannot count on him at all.

He played 45 minutes in last 6 months (not with United), and isn't fit now. A joke. I wonder what the plan is for the season because he sure as hell isn't playing majority of it, not to mention 2 games a week.

Only playing 45 mins in 6 months is a sure fire sign someone isn't fully fit. I've said it many times he should be booted out of the club. Didn't expect him to be fit for the start if the season, so no surprise if he isn't. He should be another one shown the door, but people on here won't have it because he had a great season 3 years ago and is one of the best left backs in the world when fit.

Can’t for him to get fit in time for the next set of England matches

Not many players get picked for their country when they have been injured for a good part of the season...just shows the quality of the player.

He needed replacing in the first team at the start of the summer. Him being injured is expected, it isn't a surprise. No matter how good he can be, he has been a constant liability his entire career with us.

Not many players get picked for their country when they have been injured for a good part of the season...just shows the quality of the player.

He could be Messi, but if he's only available for 5 games a season he's a liability.

Southgate was doing that with Philips for a while as well.

He's basically told the club to do one with how he's handled his fitness and prioritized sitting on the England bench. Don't understand anyone supporting this guy.

Make or break for Shaw this year surely. ..

if he doesnt play 30 games is he worth a squad space?

I don't think so

How many players would turn down being a part of their countrys squad for a major tournament? I dont hold that against him at all. A shame he is not ready for the City match, but might as well just be us taking it easy with him to make sure he is as ready as possible for the season.

That he has to many injuries and probably should be sold is another case imo.

i'm happy with him and Amass covering the left back position. Also if we sign a center half in an emergency we can use Martinez

I feel the same way about him as I did Cavani. One of our better technical players but you can't rely on him to stay fit. Seemingly puts his country first at the expense of staying fit for the club that pays his wages.

Completely unacceptable that he's not fit to play for us when he was fit to play for his country three weeks ago. With the amount of games he has missed for us and the wages he's being paid, he owes us big time. He should have done everything humanly possible to get back and train immediately after the WC. And no, I don't care that he would have to sacrifice his holidays. Our players should be desperate to take any opportunity to wear the shirt.

Half expected them to play safe with him this weekend having only returned Monday. We really need him ready and available for next Friday though.

Standards of left back are not exactly high these days but at no point has he achieved "best left back in the Premier league" status or ever having potential to be one. Bloody hell, United used to have Patrice.

Shaw loses concentration more often than not, struggles to keep up pace, struggles to make swift overlapping runs because of his frame, can't stay fit and has been here for a decade yet you could barely count his good performances.

Lounges around the club on a huge salary, modeling new football kits and every season, he concocts the "Phil Jones new season new man" illusion. A ruthless club makes an example of players like him.

Yes he has. On ability not just the best in the Prem but in the world as well. Your reasoning is basically made up other than the "can't stay fit" part.

An amazing player but an unreliable player. A combination you never want at your club. Neither you can sell them nor you can improve upon them. Players like him hold back a team moving forward due to them being unavailable so much BUT the sheer hope of them becoming available and being so good once again WHEN fit, makes everyone giddy and forget the harsh truth. A false dawn.

The manager starts to think about that player being fit again and so good again. The fans start to hope to see that player in his full pomp and think about that world class player again. But that illusion never matches the reality, rarely if so and before you know it the player is injured once again. The cycle repeats itself and suddenly you realise it’s been almost a decade. Not sure about the legacy but all that remains is What If !?!

Completely unacceptable that he's not fit to play for us when he was fit to play for his country three weeks ago. With the amount of games he has missed for us and the wages he's being paid, he owes us big time. He should have done everything humanly possible to get back and train immediately after the WC. And no, I don't care that he would have to sacrifice his holidays. Our players should be desperate to take any opportunity to wear the shirt.
He’s not legally allowed to forego his holidays. Fifpro have made the minimum 3 weeks break mandatory.

Surprise.. surprise. Going to be another season of the same crap. Mazraoui/Dalot having to play LB for the majority of the season.

Surprise.. surprise. Going to be another season of the same crap. Mazraoui/Dalot having to play LB for the majority of the season.
You’d think we’d sort the LB situation out over the RBs but I guess we’re expecting Malacia to come back some time this year

What was it LVG said in 2015 shortly before Shaw’s bad injury? Something like, ‘this will be the season of Luke Shaw’…have we had a full season out of him since?

You’d think we’d sort the LB situation out over the RBs but I guess we’re expecting Malacia to come back some time this year
Have quite zero trust in Malacia becoming a stable back-up option. He was just about a decent back-up back then, what can we expect of him now?

What was it LVG said in 2015 shortly before Shaw’s bad injury? Something like, ‘this will be the season of Luke Shaw’…have we had a full season out of him since?
I think 47 games is pretty much a full season. He's managed that twice. We finished 2nd and 3rd in the league.

Have quite zero trust in Malacia becoming a stable back-up option. He was just about a decent back-up back then, what can we expect of him now?
Least we can expect is that he stays fit. I genuinely can’t believe he was out for all of last season. In his first season he did show some promising signs.

Sure, that's their call though. If you want to chill that should also be an option you can take without fans acting like you've let them down.
Sure.. only for the fact that Luke Shaw is now once again, not fit for Manchester United. Which is telling as others, who have also had long seasons, seem to make more effort to be fit in time.

He has the right to his holidays though, can't wait till he leaves the club and we have a dependable LB.

Also seems to get better on here with any missed game.

Sure.. only for the fact that Luke Shaw is now once again, not fit for Manchester United. Which is telling as others, who have also had long seasons, seem to make more effort to be fit in time.

He has the right to his holidays though, can't wait till he leaves the club and we have a dependable LB.

Also seems to get better on here with any missed game.
I'd feel pretty hard done by if because my colleagues chose to keep checking their emails during their holidays, meaning they didn't need catching up upon their return, there were now thousands of people calling me a lazy cnut.

Luke Shaw is a work-life balance king and I am here for it.

Just realized this is his tenth season here this year :eek:
Yeah, our longest serving player (not counting Evans obviously) followed by Rashford (2016), McTominay and Lindelof (both 2017 though McTominay had his debut before 16/17 season finished).