Luke Shaw image 23

Luke Shaw England flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

The thing you don't do with a player who has struggled with injuries is toss them into a starting 11 before they are match fit. He wasn't with us for pre season sadly. Means he needs to be carefully managed. Shit decision to go to the euros and rush his recovery but then feck up his prep for the new season, but here we are.
He played in a euro final. I don't think he considers it a shit decision.

What about Mainoo, and Martinez and Garnacho (who played their final a day later).

He has 3 years left, his book value is zero, it would be wise to sell him now.
None of them have the same injury problems, and we don't know for sure any of them will play on Saturday anyway.

Besides, Shaw might actually have a knock for all we know. That would kind of fit our luck.

And no one is taking Shaw off of our hands at this point.

And therefore should be fit right? Unless you unfit yourself again.
Probably just taking longer to recover unlike others? I don't know, I'm just speculating but I don't think he's injured and ETH is saying that he needs to assess his fitness only as a precaution.

Shaw is an emblem of the fallen standards of Manchester United. Slack and perennially compensated for poor performances. More than a decade at the club and I could only count a few decent pergormances. He is evidently so comfortable at the club because competition does not exist and standards are so low.

Same applies for the likes of Wan Bissaka, Harry Maguire, Lindelof and others. Some Manchester United fans form cults to defend these players and I am not sure why. Until United becomes ruthless, the club will continue to languish behind its competitors.

He played in a euro final. I don't think he considers it a shit decision.
Of course he doesn't in the moment, I mean it was shit for us and his long term health for the season. Missing pre season for somebody like him, not recovering properly for somebody like him, is brutal. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't have another injury hit season.

Probably just taking longer to recover unlike others? I don't know, I'm just speculating but I don't think he's injured and ETH is saying that he needs to assess his fitness only as a precaution.
Recovering from what? His holidays?

Something with availability and ability. It is only the first real match of the season, but the signs seem to be starting early. Hope that we don't have to rely on Luke for a long time. Gets really tiresome, not suggesting that he does it deliberately but the guy just can't keep fit.

Is he not just getting up to fitness. Seems like some of the reactions are quite OTT buy we all know he can't be relied upon fitness wise. Its the clubs fault we are still dependent on him many years after that became clear

anyone still counting Shaw as a squad member like he’s capable of giving a decent contribution over a season is a lost cause. Same those who kept expecting Martial to one day return to fitness. Or Jones.

The problem here is that someone is our manager/our board.

He was injured towards the back end of last season and missed some games, before recovering and being eased in to the Euros. So you’d think the community shield would be the perfect opportunity to start building match fitness. If he’s still struggling to get over the injury it doesn’t bode well for the upcoming season.

It's amazing that people are surprised, when he went with England to the euros I would bet that he would miss few games for us. He literally risked start of the season for playing for England. I guess it will be great and much better than expected if he is involved in any of our first few games.

Have I missed something ? Where did ETH say he was injured? All he said was he need to assess his fitness which makes sense considering he only returned from holidays this week. Feels like everyone is making a mountain out of a molehill. He said similar of Maguire, Lindelof and AWB yet everyone have taken it as them being injured.

Those three have been on the tour so if there's question marks it's because they've picked up injuries.

Shaw came back into training late the sane time as a number of other players so if ETH has mentioned him specifically he is either injured or not fit enough.

And it is a bit bonkers. It's taken him nearly a year to get fit. He gets 3 weeks off and now isn't fit again.

We desperately need to sign a fullback because this caused us bigger problems last season than any other position

Recovering from what? His holidays?

Something with availability and ability. It is only the first real match of the season, but the signs seem to be starting early. Hope that we don't have to rely on Luke for a long time. Gets really tiresome, not suggesting that he does it deliberately but the guy just can't keep fit.
Poor choice of words by me but yea he might need more time to get to full fitness compared to others after his holidays is what I meant.

Even though it was his decision and it probably meant a lot to him but the club should not have allowed him to go to Euros. Already an injury prone and will be playing catch up when the seasons starts cause he put in a lot of effort to start 1 fecking match at the Euros.

If pre-season is anything to go by, Amass is going to be ready to play a big part by next season. Hes already getting used to this level and was good against Salah vs Liverpool. So at most it would be relying on Shaw as a first choice LB for one more year.

Poor choice of words by me but yea he might need more time to get to full fitness compared to others after his holidays is what I meant.

Even though it was his decision and it probably meant a lot to him but the club should not have allowed him to go to Euros. Already an injury prone and will be playing catch up when the seasons starts cause he put in a lot of effort to start 1 fecking match at the Euros.

If pre-season is anything to go by, Amass is going to be ready to play a big part by next season. Hes already getting used to this level and was good against Salah vs Liverpool. So at most it would be relying on Shaw as a first choice LB for one more year.
Let's hope so. Good to get Amass tested, who isn't quite ready yet. Hopefully with the support of Martinez behind him he will be protected. Offensively in some aspects I prefer him to current Shaw.

Amass is nowhere near ready to play against men.

Wish we’d listened to Jose on him. He’s decent when he’s fit, but I’d just rather not have the constant headache.

Amass is nowhere near ready to play against men.
I said next season, not this season. And as I said he's getting used to this level and had a good game against Liverpool. Not sure there will be much harder tests for him than one of the best wide forwards in the PL and he's shown he can cope.

Rightly or wrongly the Euros left a slightly bitter taste for me.

I reckon him going was more down to Southgate being desperate because he had no other left backs. I dont blame him at all for that as why shouldn't he want to be there if he's picked? But the guy contributed nothing to last season, had a moan on at least one occasion about fans questioning his commitment, then mysteriously gets himself fit enough to play for a couple of England games. Now he isn't fit again.

There were a lot of noises towards the end of last season about it being suspected certain players were more concerned with saving themselves for the Euros than coming back into a struggling United side, so it's really not a good look.

And assuming it is just legitimate bad luck (I thought he looked miles off the pace for England tbh), he's injured or miles off his best a majority of the time. When he's good he's extremely good but City, Arsenal, Liverpool and any consistent team don't rely on players who are persistently good one year and bad/injured the next.

Would be really strange and poor if Zirkzee isn't fit, but the likes of Mainoo/Martinez/Garnacho are. UNless injured, there is no reason to be less fit than others that joined later. You'd want to start flying at your new club, I'd hope. Let's see what happens on Saturday.

He trained full training today. He is ready.

Those three have been on the tour so if there's question marks it's because they've picked up injuries.

Shaw came back into training late the sane time as a number of other players so if ETH has mentioned him specifically he is either injured or not fit enough.

And it is a bit bonkers. It's taken him nearly a year to get fit. He gets 3 weeks off and now isn't fit again.

We desperately need to sign a fullback because this caused us bigger problems last season than any other position

I think he is fit but lacks game fitness as he made limited apearances at the Euros after a spell on the sidelines. The detail of what was said suggests it is more a case of wondering whether it is worth selecting him for a game this weekend that is only a glorified friendly when the real games start in a week and we currently have limited cover for the position. His last injury was as a result of pushing to play too soon into his recovery and it is obvious his minutes need to be managed.

Rightly or wrongly the Euros left a slightly bitter taste for me.

I reckon him going was more down to Southgate being desperate because he had no other left backs. I dont blame him at all for that as why shouldn't he want to be there if he's picked? But the guy contributed nothing to last season, had a moan on at least one occasion about fans questioning his commitment, then mysteriously gets himself fit enough to play for a couple of England games. Now he isn't fit again.

There were a lot of noises towards the end of last season about it being suspected certain players were more concerned with saving themselves for the Euros than coming back into a struggling United side, so it's really not a good look.

And assuming it is just legitimate bad luck (I thought he looked miles off the pace for England tbh), he's injured or miles off his best a majority of the time. When he's good he's extremely good but City, Arsenal, Liverpool and any consistent team don't rely on players who are persistently good one year and bad/injured the next.
Yea Southgate was absolutely desperate and dumb to take an injured player to Euros. I said the same during that time but both are well within their rights to make the decisions they did if the national team's physios felt he could take a part but still doesn't make it any better for us as a club that he went to the Euros instead of focusing on getting ready for this season.

I've seen the club's recent training video they posted on YouTube and seems like he did take part in the training sessions with the rest of the other returnees but probably only half of them as he wasn't there in some footages. ETH is probably just playing it safe with letting him do only half training sessions and easing him back considering his injury history.

I think he is fit but lacks game fitness as he made limited apearances at the Euros after a spell on the sidelines. The detail of what was said suggests it is more a case of wondering whether it is worth selecting him for a game this weekend that is only a glorified friendly when the real games start in a week and we currently have limited cover for the position. His last injury was as a result of pushing to play too soon into his recovery and it is obvious his minutes need to be managed.
Well let's hope that's the case but I'd still feel a lot more comfortable if our only remotely capable stand in for him wasn't also our right back.

I know people rate Amass but regardless of if he's good enough or not he's not ready. He's 17. The PL as a fullback you're up against players who will run straight through you if you're half their size, amd it's not like our midfield or wingers will protect him much..

Well let's hope that's the case but I'd still feel a lot more comfortable if our only remotely capable stand in for him wasn't also our right back.

I know people rate Amass but regardless of if he's good enough or not he's not ready. He's 17. The PL as a fullback you're up against players who will run straight through you if you're half their size, amd it's not like our midfield or wingers will protect him much..

This seems to be a major reason why Mazaroui is top of our shopping list for FB reinforcements as he is supposedly equally comfortable on either side and so provides cover for Dalot and Shaw since we clearly are in no position to buy two players in this window. Hopefully Malacia does make a full recovery now his rehab is progressing well and we will find ourselves in a better position a couple of months into the season but that is a lot of hoping based on our recent history.

Agree. Playing amass in actual games currently is reckless, not good for his development. He's a year away I'd say from being actually part of the first team squad and getting squad player left back minutes.

Think Adam Mckola summed it up perfectly at the latest episode of the overlap when he said Shaw only bothers getting fit for England.

He's clearly an elite full back, but we've had a decade of him being an essential part-timer because of his fitness. Granted he's had some horrible injuries, but at this point we can't live on a prayer of him being consistently fit for a whole season. Was really hoping we would be in for Ferdi Kadioglu since he'd have covered both sides of the pitch, but we were pissing about trying to sign Mazraoui to 'unlock Antony' on the other flank.

Hope Amass makes the step up, because I'm not sure we even have the funds for a LB.

Totally fine to not be ready to play 90 minutes at the weekend.

But it would be a terrible look for Shaw to miss the first few games of the season completely.

He’s never been the same player since that awful ankle break all those years ago. Perhaps that’s to be expected. We get glimpses of how talented he is now and again but he’s physically on a knife edge at all times these days. Sadly you can’t build a team with Shaw as your LB despite his clear talent on the rare occasion he is fit and flying. A part of the pitch we need a 1st team starter signing sooner rather than later if we wish to be serious.

Th ankle excuse is long gone imo. He's shown more than once that when he wants to enough he can get himself fit and stay fit.

He's juat like a number of our other players/ex players where it only seems to happen around new manager or contract renewal time.

He's had 3 separate managers publicly call him out over this in the past and remember ETH also felt it necessary to basically take control of his diet and sack off his chef.

The problem this creates is even when the injury or fitness issues are genuine bad luck there's not any benefit of doubt left to give.

Luke Shaw is a curious case, he got injured in February and was unable to play any part for us in our remaining games of last season but then miraculously he was suddenly fit enough to go with the England squad to the Euros and now domestic football is back and us suddenly not fit to play again, anyone would think he just didnt want to play for us anymore.

He's missed 253 matches during his 11 year career with us.

That's 6.6 seasons for all who are scoring at home.

Can't believe he's been here for 10 years. He's hardly played.

Hope he has good luck with injuries this season as a fit Luke Shaw is the best LB in the Premier League.

Be gone Shaw. You're holding us back. We need to get rid. You chose England over Man Utd. Had enough

Hope he has good luck with injuries this season as a fit Luke Shaw is the best LB in the

Hope he has good luck with injuries this season as a fit Luke Shaw is the best LB in the Premier League.
Standards of left back are not exactly high these days but at no point has he achieved "best left back in the Premier league" status or ever having potential to be one. Bloody hell, United used to have Patrice.

Shaw loses concentration more often than not, struggles to keep up pace, struggles to make swift overlapping runs because of his frame, can't stay fit and has been here for a decade yet you could barely count his good performances.

Lounges around the club on a huge salary, modeling new football kits and every season, he concocts the "Phil Jones new season new man" illusion. A ruthless club makes an example of players like him.

Standards of left back are not exactly high these days but at no point has he achieved "best left back in the Premier league" status or ever having potential to be one. Bloody hell, United used to have Patrice.

Shaw loses concentration more often than not, struggles to keep up pace, struggles to make swift overlapping runs because of his frame, can't stay fit and has been here for a decade yet you could barely count his good performances.

Lounges around the club on a huge salary, modeling new football kits and every season, he concocts the "Phil Jones new season new man" illusion. A ruthless club makes an example of players like him.
Not saying he hasn't been incredibly frustrating fitness wise but he was immense for basically the entirety of the 20/21 season.

Luke Shaw is a cracking player when hes fit. Hes just not fit enough. You cannot have a player who isn't fit for 1/3rd to 1/2 your games most seasons.

You don't rotate defenders in general. You rotate and sub midfielders and forwards usually so you can accommodate more talented players in the forward line and there is more capacity for shuffling to give players minutes. I can't think of many teams that have top quality backup for defenders because why would they be happy to sit not playing most of the time.

Unfortunately he probably needs to be moved on soon.