Luke Shaw image 23

Luke Shaw England flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

Hopefully fit for Fulham.

Severely underrated player.

By who?

Even majority of people here who criticise him for his injuries and missing games are rating him very highly, many are saying he is best LB in the world when fit(which itself is ridiciulous because he wasn't for 3/4 years), and others who aren't saying that are well aware how good he is. People are just saying we need to get rid because we need someone who is available, not because he is shit when fit.

Him going to Euros when he couldn’t play 2 games in a row without having injury troubles last season really irked me. If he has injuries again this season then we should replace him next season.

So he’s fit enough for England but not for United? Get out of here

Him going to Euros when he couldn’t play 2 games in a row without having injury troubles last season really irked me. If he has injuries again this season then we should replace him next season.

He's become a Varane type player - we can't rely on his fitness. I think this window we elevated the bottom level of the squad significantly. The next step in future windows is to improve the starting XI. One of the first positions I'd look at improving is LB.

He's become a Varane type player - we can't rely on his fitness. I think this window we elevated the bottom level of the squad significantly. The next step in future windows is to improve the starting XI. One of the first positions I'd look at improving is LB.

Varane is fit compared to shaw

The idea that Shaw only makes him fit for England doesn't hold water.

3 days after this quote, Shaw played against Luton which was his last game for the season. Note that he was taken the previous game at halftime as a precaution. So he did try to get fit and make himself available during an injury crisis and it ruined his season and Ten Hag/the medical team let him play out of desperation.

Can someone with accurate information tell us the type of injuries he's had, that kept him out over the last 4-5 years?

Can someone with accurate information tell us the type of injuries he's had, that kept him out over the last 4-5 years?
He broke his leg really badly which has permanently altered his physiology. A lot of his current fitness issue are linked back to that, unfortunately.

No issue with him not playing in the Community shield, who cares?

People moaning about him having a holiday, being at an international tournament means you are working every day and are weeks/months away from your family regardless if you’re playing or not, so it’s entirely normal to need down time after this. Players are humans, not robots.

So he’s fit enough for England but not for United? Get out of here

Well he wasn't fit for England. He played 1 game at the Euros. Southgate should never have brought him.

Shaw's a good player, but he can't be relied on to stay fit and even when he is fit, you don't know what you're going to get from him. It's for those reason he should be gone. You can't have these players at the club for long, 1 or 2, even maybe 3 seasons, but after that they should be moved on. He's 29, been at the club 10 years and in that time he's played 275 games and only 30-40 games 3 or 4 times. He's also only had 34 caps for England. Fred was at Utd for 5 years and played almost as many games. Or even compare that to Harry Kane, who many classed as injury prone and he's played twice as many games as Luke Shaw in that same period, over 500 club games and nearly 100 England caps.

Struggling to get annoyed about this yet. Should absolutely be fit for Fulham but if he's ready for Brighton then fine. Shouldn't have gone to the Euros but he played like 1 game anyway, that's on Southgate.

Well he wasn't fit for England. He played 1 game at the Euros. Southgate should never have brought him.
He played 3 games at the Euros. 1 full 90 minutes if that's what you're referring to.
No issue with him not playing in the Community shield, who cares?

People moaning about him having a holiday, being at an international tournament means you are working every day and are weeks/months away from your family regardless if you’re playing or not, so it’s entirely normal to need down time after this. Players are humans, not robots.
At least be available for selection like Zirkzee was on Sunday. People aren't moaning about him not playing in the community shield - they're pissed off that he likely won't be fit to start our first league game of the season.

Whether Shaw is injured or unfit he’s brought this criticism on himself with decision to play for England during the summer after missing so much of last season for us. Mainoo, Martinez etc managed to play but Shaw couldn’t make the bench.

Maybe it’s all very unfair and during his time off Luke was still doing some training and this injury or lack of fitness is bad luck. But the optics are bad.

Can’t see how he can start against Fulham with absolutely no pre season minutes so let’s hope Mazraoui is fit and firing.

Hoping he's fit to play an hour and bring Mazraoui on for last half hour against Fulham

Avoiding injury has to be the priority and if he isnt ready, he isnt ready as frustrating as that is

yes exactly, last season he had setbacks with his rehabilitations as well.. i don't understand why he forced himself to join EURO while he struggled to be fit and missed most of the season

i hope Mazroui fits in really well on the left, because last season Diogo and AWB looked uncomfortable playing LB and we also will not expect Malacia to be back soon

He played 3 games at the Euros. 1 full 90 minutes if that's what you're referring to.

At least be available for selection like Zirkzee was on Sunday. People aren't moaning about him not playing in the community shield - they're pissed off that he likely won't be fit to start our first league game of the season.

Yeah, he was really only deemed fit to play 1 full game.

He shouldn't have been called up at all.

Whether Shaw is injured or unfit he’s brought this criticism on himself with decision to play for England during the summer after missing so much of last season for us. Mainoo, Martinez etc managed to play but Shaw couldn’t make the bench.

Maybe it’s all very unfair and during his time off Luke was still doing some training and this injury or lack of fitness is bad luck. But the optics are bad.

Can’t see how he can start against Fulham with absolutely no pre season minutes so let’s hope Mazraoui is fit and firing.
I think we'll see Licha there instead. Looked good there on Saturday bar few brain fart moments, excellent ball to release Bruno.

De Ligt at CB before Mazraoui at LB.

The lack of transparency we have as fans over injuries is so frustrating. Have we even had a reason why he wasn't in the squad on Saturday? Estimated return date?

We need to wrap him up in cotton wool this season. Don't start him in any cup games if we can help it, league games only. Sub him off after 70 minutes if we've got the game won.

I wrote him off many seasons ago, that way I can be surprised when he shows up for 5-10 games every season.

Hoping he's fit to play an hour and bring Mazraoui on for last half hour against Fulham

Avoiding injury has to be the priority and if he isnt ready, he isnt ready as frustrating as that is
I’m hoping the same. It doesn’t surprise me if they’ve eased him into pre-season more than others given the obvious. Playing Saturday given only 3-4 days training likely wouldn’t have been wise. I’m sure I read ten Hag say they were managing some players individually and so expect he might have been referring to him. Hopefully he can play at least a part on Friday.

Flip side of course is it wouldn’t be a surprise to anyone if he’s injured again.

I’d much rather he was away with England working on his fitness for a month than on holiday. He had a set back in training by all accounts, but that could have happened if he was doing individual training over the summer.

It might feel like a piss take but he wasn’t far away from starting and winning the final, you don’t pass up those kind of opportunities. It was probably his last tournament for England unless he moves to centre back.

I’d much rather he was away with England working on his fitness for a month than on holiday. He had a set back in training by all accounts, but that could have happened if he was doing individual training over the summer.

It might feel like a piss take but he wasn’t far away from starting and winning the final, you don’t pass up those kind of opportunities. It was probably his last tournament for England unless he moves to centre back.
I reckon he's got at least one more tournament left.

I reckon he's got at least one more tournament left.
Normally I’d agree, but his fitness is only going in one direction. The fact that he’s got almost no competition for his place should work in his favour.

The lack of transparency we have as fans over injuries is so frustrating. Have we even had a reason why he wasn't in the squad on Saturday? Estimated return date?

We need to wrap him up in cotton wool this season. Don't start him in any cup games if we can help it, league games only. Sub him off after 70 minutes if got the game won.
last season we probably had just 2 or 3 games (both Everton games and West Ham at home) where we could relax in the last 20 minutes. I think that had an impact on the overall injuries to our squad including Shaw. Hope we can kill teams off early and rest players somehow this season.

According to Norwegian MU site, he's injured and expected back after int. break. I'm lost for words if this is actually true :/.

Edit: Zoo beat me to it.

This is getting ridiculous now, I can guarentee he'll suddenly be fit again once the International Break comes around.

When Roy Keane claimed some of of our players were faking injury because they dont want to play I wonder if Shaw was one of the ones he was talking about.

Both him and Rashford should’ve been sold when their market value was high last summer, on the back of good seasons.
Instead, they were given new contracts.
Hopefully the new regime would never do anything as absurd as this.