Luke Shaw image 23

Luke Shaw England flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

He is not injured, even though, the last page or so gives the impression that he is. He is simply not match fit, and it will take him a week or two to get to that level.

I understand the anger to some of the fans as to why he hasn't arrived from holiday match fit, but he is crocked, and if you put him in the first team to play 90 minutes against City, he might get injured again. So I rather we work him into full fitness, than play him when he is not at 100%.

That being said, there are players that will likely start, that have came back around the same time as him.

Is he actually declared injured or just not available for the Charity Shield?

If just the latter (and he’ll be ok for Fulham onwards), I’m not that arsed

I think it's the latter...people are also just outraged at every single minor inconvenience lately which is really tiring...but even if he was fit I don't like the idea of him playing two games in a single week.

We should be managing him carefully and we can still get at least 30 games per season out of him.

I'm not sure what some people are annoyed about? Him not playing in the community shield is far from unexpected.

Rodri, Foden, Walker and Stones are all not expected to be available tomorrow, yet you won't get City fans kicking off about committment. Clearly some fans just love a moan.

He had zero chance of getting fit for the start of the season the moment he decided to risk it all for England.
I hope he loses his place and doesn’t win it back.

He had zero chance of getting fit for the start of the season the moment he decided to risk it all for England.
I hope he loses his place and doesn’t win it back.
Does it not make perfect sense? Try to get fit for a major tournament vs being match fit for the Community Shield. He's not caused himself any harm, it's simply that he's not been back at training that long and given his injury record it wouldn't make sense for us to risk him based on less than a week's worth of training.

From a fitness perspective, going to the Euros was probably a good thing. He didn't play all that much, so won't be fatigued and he got himself back fit, and proved he's got a good level of football in him

I wouldn't fancy working on my only 3 weeks holiday a year.
You’re not being paid £150.000 per week are you? Also, Shaw has missed 50 % of matches. It’s not his fault, but he has had plenty of time off over the years (even taking rehab into consideration).

I'm not sure what some people are annoyed about? Him not playing in the community shield is far from unexpected.

Rodri, Foden, Walker and Stones are all not expected to be available tomorrow, yet you won't get City fans kicking off about committment. Clearly some fans just love a moan.
It’s a luxury city have that we don’t. They’re resting England/spain players while we’re playing ours. To have that squad depth where you can leave that calibre of player out must be nice. It is what it is though.

City players are not back yet in training.

We moan about Shaw, because he spends half the year out injured. City players aren't doing that. City also has the strength in depth to deal with those players out. We don't.

His ability is pointless if he's barely on the pitch. The fact that I've read nothing about a new LB coming in is worrying.

What was it LVG said in 2015 shortly before Shaw’s bad injury? Something like, ‘this will be the season of Luke Shaw’…have we had a full season out of him since?
He wasn't wrong. He was incredible before that leg break. My favourite version of him, was much more athletic than he is now.

People are trying to be optimistic and injuries/no signings/shit performances are giving them a reality check about what to expect.

Odd few pages because someone with his injury record won't play in a glorified friendly after just returning from holidays.

Odd few pages because someone with his injury record won't play in a glorified friendly after just returning from holidays.
Yes if there is one player to protect it would be him, so why play him unfit in a friendly? Also there is the possibility that this match will be quite risky with a lot of non starters and youngsters trying to prove themselves.

Exactly the same people would moan if Shaw plays and picks up an injury after little break from the euros and surely not match fit. It seems the moaning itself is the most important factor for posting on here for some

That's it. I doubt he's injured, he's just not fully match fit & why risk him for this game of nothingness?

City's Euro and Copa players are not even back from holiday, so also not fit/able to play.

Finding the luke Shaw hate a bit OTT. Most players in his position would have gone to the euros given England had a good chance of winning. He may well just be following the clubs plan to get in shape for the actual games rather than a friendly.

The fact the club is still dependent on Shaw at left back despite knowing for at least 5 years he wpuld be injured a lot of the season is a failing of the clubs making

He probably does have a minor injury. He would be on the bench if it is only about bring match fit.

Surely, I'm not the only one who's thoroughly fed up with this player. Injured for most of the season, yet still decided to go to the Euros. I get that it's an honour to represent your country, and I understand why he went, but now he’s likely to miss the start of the season because he probably rushed his recovery.

If we were more ruthless, despite his undeniable talent when he's fit, we would've parted ways with him long ago. He's simply too unreliable!

We are annoyed because we don't have any other senior, quality left back and he insisted going to Euros despite being injured. City has three teams worth of quality, what do they care.

If we were more ruthless, despite his undeniable talent when he's fit, we would've parted ways with him long ago. He's simply too unreliable!

Yeah the England thing was my breaking point with him.

Contrast with somebody like Courtois who worked hard to rehab to the point he was able to fight his way back and be a big part of Madrid's run-in. Had a huge CL final on top of that... but then he still voluntarily missed out on the Euros to ensure he was fit for Madrid this season.

Tedesco (Belgium manager) on Courtois:

"He was honest and clear about it. Very clear. He knows his body the best, and he made his decision. It's different to play every three or four days during a tournament."

There are other examples of players doing similar.

Shaw did the opposite. Didn't get back at any point during our run-in, still insisted on joining up with England even though he wasn't fit, then has a three week holiday after 170 minutes of football which means he misses out on preseason and is now in no condition to start the season (again). And if any player desperately needs a preseason it's him.

Last edited:
Yeah the England thing was my breaking point with him.

Contrast with somebody like Courtois who worked hard to rehab to the point he was able to fight his way back and be a big part of Madrid's run-in. Had a huge CL final on top of that... but then he still voluntarily missed out on the Euros to ensure he was fit for Madrid this season.

Tedesco (Belgium manager) on Courtois:

There are other examples of players doing similar.

Shaw did the opposite. Didn't get back at any point during our run-in, still insisted on joining up with England even though he wasn't fit, then has a three week holiday after 170 minutes of football which means he misses out on preseason and is now in no condition to start the season (again). And if any player desperately needs a preseason it's him.
Belgium were never winning the euros, England had quite a good chance of doing so. I think most players would do the same in his position

We are annoyed because we don't have any other senior, quality left back and he insisted going to Euros despite being injured. City has three teams worth of quality, what do they care.
That's not his fault, nor should he feel that level of responsibility. Blame the club, Shaw's decision was perfectly logical imo.

We need Ferdi. Shaw is finished as a starter if he cant stay fit
I can't see us buying a LB this summer, really. With still having Shaw and Malacia on the books, and Amass coming through - and the option of playing the other RB there if both fit - then I think we'll make do with that for now and see how the Shaw, Malacia and Amass situations look like next season.

Being willing and able to offload AWB (who had just a year left), and having no other understudy or young talented RB coming through, meant doing the switch at that position this summer made sense.

But we're a bit snookered at LB at this stage - having three potential options there, but each having injury / inexperience issues, means it's tricky to add a 4th when finances are an issue - even though we could certainly do with a fit and ready first choice one in an ideal world.

But for now, I think adding a second RB who can also play LB, and seeing how things have progressed by next summer with our three LB's, is the right call.

I dont agree with this guy on much but he is right here. Its totally unacceptable in my opinion for him to not be match fit given the circumstances. You are a footballer. Its your job to be in shape 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Especially when you didn't play for basically half of the last season and then went and rushed yourself back to play for England. Show the same commitment for the club paying your wages.

Hopefully starts against Fulham. Can’t wait to have him back in the side, world class player who elevates us massively. Dalot, De Ligt, Martinez and Shaw is a very strong back four.

I dont agree with this guy on much but he is right here. Its totally unacceptable in my opinion for him to not be match fit given the circumstances. You are a footballer. Its your job to be in shape 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Especially when you didn't play for basically half of the last season and then went and rushed yourself back to play for England. Show the same commitment for the club paying your wages.
Yeah, Howson is by far my least favourite of the Paddock regulars but he's bang on with this one. Shaw doesn't maintain his fitness in a manner expected of a sportsman on his wages. This has been a theme throughout his career - Van Gaal had him train separately during preseason because he turned up overweight.