Life after ETH — the next United manager

I wonder which manager we’re waiting for if it’s none of the available ones from this summer.
If we're waiting for someone specific, it's probably McKenna, but I doubt INEOS has someone in mind and they're just awaiting their availability.

With the young team we have we need a proper coach to mold these guys into playing like a unit and with some confidence.

It seems apparent EtH’s blueprint has so far been only to emulate the success he had with Ajax circa 2018/19. Hence now having a glut of former players making up the bulk of the current squad.

Big name managers I'd be happy seeing appointed:

Tuchel
Enrique

Up and coming managers that would at least be exciting gambles:

Iraola
McKenna
Nagelsmann

Doubt we could get them but would go for them if we could:

Alonso
Motta

I like Iraola and his teams are incredible in the press, but we haven't seen much from them in possession to indicate whether he could coach a top team that's expected to have the ball and win most weeks. Míchel has demonstrated an ability to coach in and out of possession at a high level and should be considered (although he works under the CFG umbrella, so getting him would be tricky).

What if Ruud takes over as temp in December and has an absolute barn storming second half of the season.

Hoping for Ruud as an interim and then a new hire a few months later, so we can hopefully get two new manager bounces, because we're gonna need them.

What if Ruud takes over as temp in December and has an absolute barn storming second half of the season.
I'd love to see Ruud taking us to the top of the table but the last time we permanently hired the interim it was not a very good decision.

Didnt he hve a very poor record as manager?

Very poor is probably an exaggeration, but Ruud didn't do much to enhance his reputation with a highly talented PSV team. René Hake is arguably the better choice, if we're appointing an interim.

Big name managers I'd be happy seeing appointed:

Tuchel
Enrique

Up and coming managers that would at least be exciting gambles:

Iraola
McKenna
Nagelsmann

Doubt we could get them but would go for them if we could:

Alonso
Motta
Nagelsman is a big name manager, pretty crazy you’re putting him in the same category as McKenna and Iraola.

Very poor is probably an exaggeration, but Ruud didn't do much to enhance his reputation with a highly talented PSV team. René Hake is arguably the better choice, if we're appointing an interim.
He guided them to a champions league qualification spot but then resigned due to a squad revolt. Would be curious to know what happened there, as you would think he’d be up for manager positions elsewhere. According to Mitten, he turned down managerial offers elsewhere to take up a coaching position with United.

Would you genuinely fancy us getting promoted?
I would fancy us to be within top 6, and then he’s an amazingly wonderful cup manager so would certainly get us over the line through playoffs if needed.

He guided them to a champions league qualification spot but then resigned due to a squad revolt. Would be curious to know what happened there, as you would think he’d be up for manager positions elsewhere. According to Mitten, he turned down managerial offers elsewhere to take up a coaching position with United.
They finished second and won a cup under Ruud, which is exactly the same to what they achieved a season before he arrived. They were also second the year before, and won the league right after he departed. I don’t claim he’s a bad manager but surely PSV were not some underdogs when he took over.

Hope its somebody significantly different to EtH. Cannot afford just noticeable differences. INEOS must decide what the new United's brand of football is.

If it is to be a proven manager then break the bank for Inzaghi or Simeone. The former has done a brilliant job given the number of cast offs he has worked with. Atletico play much more attacking football now and consistently develop good young players. The way he has got the best out of Griezmann could be a template for Bruno.

If an emerging manager then Michel of Girona (ownership can’t be seen to stand in the way unless he has got the nod to be Pep’s replacement) or Hoeness at Stuttgart.

If it is to be a proven manager then break the bank for Inzaghi or Simeone. The former has done a brilliant job given the number of cast offs he has worked with. Atletico play much more attacking football now and consistently develop good young players. The way he has got the best out of Griezmann could be a template for Bruno.

If an emerging manager then Michel of Girona (ownership can’t be seen to stand in the way unless he has got the nod to be Pep’s replacement) or Hoeness at Stuttgart.
Finally someone else who wants a German hipster manager. I’d be quite happy with Glasner, too

Apparently during the interview he was asked to estimate the number of windows in Manchester, a common on the spot tricky question and all that. And when he jokingly said "does it include the one in your computer?" expecting to get a laugh, the interviewer called the security guard instead to boot him out.
How many windows are there in Manchester ?

ETH will still be here at Xmas imo, unless we loose the next 3 games which i feel is very unlikely.

If he does get sacked ive always rated Emery, great tactitian, would he leave Villa?
. Touchel is the obvious choice.

Gary Neville. Has European management experience.
Lives locally.

Gary Neville. Has European management experience.
Lives locally.
“It would be stupid to sack me after only 4 months as a manager” - well luckily Valencia owners didn’t speak any English and didn’t care for that bullshit

The problem for me is this:

I had a hope the new upper management would say thanks but bye after last season.

Which would have been the right time to let him go (let him leave on a high note after the FA Cup final).

If said upper management sack him now (as many people on here seem to want), what the feck does that say about them? What does it say about their overall plan for United?

Surely, if the decision to keep him after last season was based on something rational, an actual plan, they won't abandon that plan because we've started the season in a decidedly underwhelming manner.

So, the question for me isn't about ETH (I actually actively dislike him at this point, and I've wanted him gone for a long time), but about the people above him.

Which is depressing, because nothing seems to have changed (United's problem has been the level above the "manager" ever since SAF retired, not the "manager" himself).

Whoever it is it has to be someone with a plan that fits into the long term vision.
I’m fed up of quick fixes, that don’t work,
What is our current plan? Don’t think ETH knows and the fans certainly don’t.
We must get the next appointment right, I thought ETH was the answer but have to say I’ve lost faith now. We aren’t any better than before and how in holy feck rashford keeps getting picked is damning.
Tldr I don’t know…….

What about Ruben Amorim? Sporting are scoring for fun this year and are top of the league. They have won 4 in a row, scored 16 goals and conceded only 2 so far in 4 games.

Take McKenna, give him this season and until Christmas next, if he's no good, sack him and move on.

That's what normal clubs do. They don't constantly tie themselves in knots going "what if, what if?" - they try things and they move on quickly when it doesn't work.

I agree. If I remember correctly, his away record vs the Big 6 is almost identical to ETH's. However the fact that he consistently beats smaller teams is what gets his results.

Last year at Chelsea he also showed a bit of resilience and that he can turn things around when everything is going against him. I think he is worth a shot at least.

Edit: Here is Poch's expected points at Chelsea. He was on course to finish Top4. Not bad considering the clown show he inherited.

Here is a table that I made up, from a time frame that I pulled out of my arse to make Man Utd look bad.

I'll have Tuchel, McKenna or the first person they find on the street please.

I think Ineos will be looking for a head coach rather than a manager role. Wilcox dictates the style, Ashcroft the transfers and head coach tactics nd training. Obviously this can still be a previous manager of a club, but they wanted to remove TH veto and if they had have signed him from the start , I dont think he would have it.

What about Lionel Scaloni, he has won the last 2 Copa's with Argentina along with the last World Cup and the Intercontinental Cup.