Life after ETH — the next United manager

If we sack ten Hag who would you want as manager?

• Massimiliano Allegri

Votes: 17 1.7%
  • Rúben Amorim

Votes: 100 10.2%
  • Michael Carrick

Votes: 15 1.5%
  • Roberto de Zerbi

Votes: 14 1.4%
  • Thomas Frank

Votes: 43 4.4%
  • Sebastian Hoeneß

Votes: 42 4.3%
  • Eddie Howe

Votes: 7 0.7%
  • Simone Inzaghi

Votes: 51 5.2%
  • Andoni Iraola

Votes: 23 2.3%
  • Thiago Motta

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • Julian Nagelsmann

Votes: 168 17.2%
  • Graham Potter

Votes: 22 2.2%
  • Ruud van Nistelrooy

Votes: 20 2.0%
  • Marco Silva

Votes: 10 1.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 137 14.0%
  • Xabi Alonso

Votes: 166 17.0%
  • Xavi

Votes: 25 2.6%
  • Kieran McKenna

Votes: 62 6.3%
  • Unai Emery

Votes: 50 5.1%
  • Fabian Hürzeler

Votes: 1 0.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
He had 2 stints as FC Bayern's club president and I think he was imprissoned for tax evasion during the Pep era.
You don't need to tell me about Uli :lol: absolute madman. Of course, it doesn't surface on his nephew, but I'm just a little bit vary that EtH, also from a very rich family and privileged background, is super mellow and lacks any charisma, looks completely disconnected with the players.

I'm down for a good hipster choice. I know Ten Hag was a disastrous one but I still don't want to accept a Southgate/Potter/Tuchel outcome no matter how bad we've been (and yes I'm aware Tuchel doesn't deserved to be lumped with the other two, I just don't like the idea of him as our coach).
He would be a different hipster choice as well, Ten Hag was a runaway success with the biggest team in his average league, this guy has made a crap team very good in a good league. Anything but going back to big names that are on downward spirals.

Poll requested New
Mods, could we please have a poll about the preferred candidate for the next permanent manager? There are more and more links in the media, with the most likely candidates being:
Amorim, McKenna, Inzaghi, Potter, Southgate, Hoeness, Xavi, Xabi Alonso, Allegri, Tuchel, Frank, Marco Silva, de Zerbi, Iraola. You could add Nagelsmann, too, but he seems unlikely to leave German NT.
could potentially also add Carrick, Howe and Ruud - he's quite nailed to be the interim, but there's a chance he stays as permanent.

Ole spent £400M on players that suited his style of management, because the £350M we spent under Jose left us with a team that didnt suit him. Then Ole's team didnt suit the next guy, so we spent another £600M trying to build a team to suit him. And during all that time, none of our managers has the squad they wanted. This cycle has to stop.
Oh I agree on that, managers must first prove themselves with what we have and then any signing made thereafter must be with the club's long term interests in mind. It's early days yet but Ashworth must come up with a non negotiable list of traits a signing must possess especially things like mentality, technical floor and physicality.

We need to wean ourselves off manager led recruitment because none of these managers are getting that sort of influence elsewhere. And we certainly shouldn't have done it for someone with limited top level exposure like ETH.

When I alluded to Ole it was not to say that he was perfect but that what he concluded then and what he did to solve some of the issues is what is needed now. We need to be aware of this squad's limations, the time it will take to solve them and find a manager who can do decently regardless.

What I suggesting is a getting an experienced pro who has top level experience, not necessarily Allegri, who can come in and achieve the minimum requirements we need to stay afloat ie top 4 with what we have. Then Ashworth and his team go to work in the background to recruit the profiles we lack that we need to play progressive football. In two seasons, no matter what, we move on to a long term manager having built the basic outline of a competitive team.

It's clear that a decision needs to be taken quickly. We really need stability right now. OGS is still the only manager post Sir Alex to get us top 4 in consecutive seasons. We're regressing at a rapid rate, it's very worrying. Bring in a manager who can get top 4 on a regular basis. Once we are stable and confident we can start thinking about challenging for the league. The kind of state we are in right now, that would be a major step in right direction. I'd give anything to have a guy in charge to do that for us right now.

I hope & pray Ten Hag is the last manager, we get rid of in these repetitive cycles, every 2-3 seasons since 2013. If after all the changes this new administration has been making & we're still stuck in the same cycle in 2-3 seasons, then I don't really know what to say. It would be a genuinely hopeless situation.

He would be a different hipster choice as well, Ten Hag was a runaway success with the biggest team in his average league, this guy has made a crap team very good in a good league. Anything but going back to big names that are on downward spirals.
The impressive thing about his time at Stuttgart is that the club sold key players each summer that he's been there so far.

They sold Sosa, Mavropanos and Endo his 1st summer window. Then they sold Itō, Anton and Guirassy this summer just gone.

Yet he's still maintained a win % of almost exactly 60%. It's very impressive.

Rejected by Simone Inzaghi according to Sport Italia

Dodgy source but wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest, why would he want to risk his reputation coming into this shit show mid season? Plus, I can’t imagine he’s too impressed with INEOS either given the complete arse they made of the manager situation in the summer.

Rejected by Simone Inzaghi according to Sport Italia

For me he was always a very unrealistic candidate. The man has spent all his playing career and managerial career in Italy, by all accounts he's not fluent in English, he's the manager of the currently best team in the Serie A and his stock in Italy is very high. I don't think he'd be interested in taking over City with unlimited money (even if they didn't have the FFP issues looming) and I definitely can't see a reason he'd leave Inter for way more challenging job at United. He's not leaving Italy anytime soon.

Carrick's done nowhere near enough to be in the frame for a job like United yet.
Correct.

Middlesbrough went on a terrible run at one point last season. 17 defeats compared to 20 wins.

Important win vs WBA the other day, which turned the league season from 3 wins, 2 draws and 2 losses into 4 wins. In the mix for the play-offs.

Stoke smashed them 5-0 in The League Cup.

For me he was always a very unrealistic candidate. The man has spent all his playing career and managerial career in Italy, by all accounts he's not fluent in English, he's the manager of the currently best team in the Serie A and his stock in Italy is very high. I don't think he'd be interested in taking over City with unlimited money (even if they didn't have the FFP issues looming) and I definitely can't see a reason he'd leave Inter for way more challenging job at United. He's not leaving Italy anytime soon.
That never stopped the likes of Ancelotti, Conte and Sarri from switching leagues. Ranieri had managed abroad prior to Chelsea.

Inter have actually looked a little flat this season. Motta and Conte have rejuvenated Juventus and Napoli.

Very impressed by Inzaghi's previous 3 seasons at Inter though. He's a good manager.

That never stopped the likes of Ancelotti, Conte and Sarri from switching leagues. Ranieri had managed abroad prior to Chelsea.

Inter have actually looked a little flat this season. Motta and Conte have rejuvenated Juventus and Napoli.

Very impressed by Inzaghi's previous 3 seasons at Inter though. He's a good manager.
Of course, that's why I don't think it's impossible he moves from Italy, it's just my personal opinion based on very little that I know about these managers and the gossips I have with the Italians. So if you care about my rather groundless opinion, Carlo was actually ambitious to go to Chelsea and is a smart man open to new challenges. Conte in my eyes was primarily motivated by money, as he lost so much of it to scammers :lol: Sarri loves the game and feck knows why he took the Chelsea job, but he only lasted in England one season and went back to Italy quoting he wants to be closer to his elderly parents (and you can smoke cigarettes wherever, unlike London). Inzaghi, while a great manager, comes across as a little bit thick. I could very well be wrong

That, and the fact that both Allegri and Valverde have a tendency of bottling key matches in cup runs. Remember that 4-0 loss Barca suffered at the hands of Pool? Or when they lost 3 goal advantage against Roma? Valverde was in charge then.
I think that's more of a Barcelona issue. They lost 3-0 to Juventus before Valverde, and after him lost 8-2 to Bayern, 4-1 to PSG, and other bad results.

Valverde won the Copa del Rey with Athletic Bilbao last season, beating Barcelona and Atletico Madrid.

I think that's more of a Barcelona issue. They lost 3-0 to Juventus before Valverde, and after him lost 8-2 to Bayern, 4-1 to PSG, and other bad results.

Valverde won the Copa del Rey with Athletic Bilbao last season, beating Barcelona and Atletico Madrid.
A very good coach over a long period of time. Maybe a little too late in his career to make the switch to England. He'll turn 61 in early 2025.

Dembélé missed the killer chance to make it 4-0 vs Liverpool in 2019. Messi knew it at the time.

I assume the option in the poll should be Simone, not Filippo?

Ruben Amorim
Nagelsmann
Alonso

No one else from that list as a permanent manager for me unless there is absolutely no way we can get one of these 3.

Poor Ruud, he probably thought he's have a full season as assistant before he was in the thrust into the hot seat.

Crazy we are just starting October, the last manager search only ended in June.

Ruben Amorim
Nagelsmann
Alonso

No one else from that list as a permanent manager for me unless there is absolutely no way we can get one of these 3.

2 of those are almost certainly not coming. Amorim also feels unlikely.

Why even have all these unrealistic options? Who really thinks Alonso is going to drop Leverkusen mid season and come to this shit show? He has both Bayern / RM jobs ready to go if he's willing to move.

Same with good managers that are already mid-season with their respective teams.

Tuchel, Southgate or Potter would depress me. There isn't a stand out choice, I don't think.
I like what Iraola is doing at Bournemouth with a limited squad.

I don't place much store in that Inzaghi story but even if true, I'd not assume he declined us because we're a shitshow - he might actually have strong ties there and also feel a responsibilty to honor his relatively new contract -- old fashioned but that, and the timing. It's not all about us, Inter are a great club. I rate him and hope he is in the mix if and when the time comes.

You should allow the option to pick up to 3 managers to gauge which are the most popular. That list with so many unrealistic targets on and only one vote won't say much.

I voted Alonso as he's the best but if I had three votes I would probably vote for 1 or 2 realistic managers as well as I also like Inzaghi, McKenna, Hoenes, Iraola, Naglesman and Amorim.