Life after ETH — the next United manager

Whoever it is, let it be a person who can actually make this lot play football for a change.

I'm not going to believe for a nano-second, that the players we have are so dire (Casemiro, Rashford, Onana and Maguire an exception).

Long gone by March.

Terrible manager and very difficult to like

Less troubled about who manages us, as I don't think the squad is anywhere near fighting for the title, and I think this season Champions League is unrealistic unless the other clubs around us have horrible seasons.
City, Arsenal & Liverpool are way ahead of us, and there can be made arguments for 2–4 others as well. I'd like to see us get a coach in who is good at helping young players develop, because that is what we need. If Ten Haag is trusted by the players to do that then I am happy to have him stay, if he is not then he obviously has to go.

Onana is offensively average from what I've seen. Absolutely nothing spectacular when we are attacked, but he's fine when we have the ball. An upgrade here, either through coaching or a transfer, is needed if we want to challenge.

Our backline is finally starting to look decent on paper, but it still has some weaknesses: Martinez can be targeted for his height, de Ligt & Maguire can be targeted for their pace, and Yoro requires time to develop. But the center is on paper good enough once everything else is in order.
Our wide defenders are in a better spot than they have been for a long time, but we are still in trouble when Shaw is out injured, which is something we can rely on happening a lot. Shaw+Malacia being injury prone & Amass still being too young to stake a claim makes it a troublesome to keep quality up through a season. To be short, we require a new, reliable left-back still. We can make due with our current options, but that isn't going to be enough.

Our midfield needs a lot of work, we're low on player numbers with experience in the midfield:
Mainoo looks a fantastic prospect, and I'm happy to have him go through the growing pains while we let the rest of the group mature.
Ugarte hopefully comes good, because Casemiro is done, and we require an alternative to Ugarte that has more experience than Collyer but is less done at the top level than Casemiro. An injury to either of Mainoo or Ugarte means we're largely fecked.
Mount, similar to Shaw, isn't someone we can rely upon staying healthy given his record so far with us. He has plenty of ankle injuries, but more worrying is that he missed 27 games due to injuries last season. It is entirely possible that he turns it around, but I wouldn't rely on him as a core player in an 11.

I personally think Rashford is done being a first-11 quality player, but I think he would be fine as a player coming off from the bench for a team challenging for the league title. Unfortunately, he is currently our senior attacker alongside Bruno and is supposed to be a key player. Instead, we are relying on Garnacho, who is simply too young for the role he has as an attacking carrier in the team. In a squad that is already close to its peak. But we're a squad that is 3–5 years away from our peak. In those 3–5 years, Bruno just won't do, regardless of if you think he is good enough now or not. The squad is built to be good to challenge when Bruno no longer is, so having him sign a new long-term contract is a bad idea in my opinion.

We're building something in a good direction, I feel, but we have to commit to it and be patient with our players' development.

Dalot (25) - De Ligt (25) - Yoro (18) -
Ugarte (23) - Mainoo (19)
Diallo (22) - Zirkzee (23)- Garnacho (20)
Højlund (21)

Also: Mazraoui (26), Collyer (20), Mount (25), Antony (24), Rashford (26)
Based on this, we still need a window of addressing the left-back+midfield options and a window addressing the attacking options, and that is if those changes work out. We also have to figure out a way to get saves from our GK or have another window looking for a GK and people to fill in squad roles that the current lot that don't live up to their talent should be doing. I would expect this season to just be for development, next season to be a fight for top 4, the season after to be about establishing ourselves as a top 4 team that is too good to fall out, and then we can talk about challenging. It doesn't matter if we spent 200 millions one summer and 200 another summer if they are failures. Failures need to be moved on from. People blaming the manager for playing 4-2-4 leaving a lackluster midfield with Casemiro exposed is absolutely fair criticism, people who expect us to be in the CL or challenging because of how much we have spent I feel are deluded into thinking money automatically gives success. We paid a lot of Sancho, he turned to sour shit. Accept it and move on knowing that we need to do better in the future, don't call him an 85 million euros player and expect the manager to get that sort of performance out of him, when we know he isn't anymore.

If we look 3–5 years into the future, Liverpool will possibly have to have replaced Alisson (31), Van Dijk (33), Trent Alexander Arnold (free transfer to real being rumored), Robertson (30) & Salah (32). That is a lot of their core performing players in need of replacing. It is entirely possibly they manage to deal with that situation, but there is also a chance that our developing group will overtake Liverpool by then.
Chelsea & Arsenal are in a better spot age-wise than Liverpool, and City will either not be in the league system or have plenty of money to reinvest to fix their aging core, and they will still have a few great players from the current squad.

As for manager names, I really don't know. I don't follow other leagues anymore, although I might get into the Bundesliga as it is on my subscription for the PL. But the profile is someone good at developing youth players, and protecting them from overbearing criticism.

If we get Tuchel then de Ligt becomes a problem. That’s why we should’ve just sacked ETH at the start of the summer.
Why? Responded to a similar post yesterday with de Ligt's stats for every league match at Bayern under Tuchel:
Squad: 35, Starting eleven: 25, Substituted in: 6, On the bench: 4, Suspended: 1, Injured: 7
Started 25 out of 35 he was available for, and got minutes in 31 out of 35 of those matches.

We are three games in chill out. Brighton away is a hard game as Arsenal will attest too and Liverpool are just a better team regardless of any current manager. Let’s see how we get on in games we should be winning. I could see us going on a run after the international break, once Hojland is back.
He spent 200m per summer, the fact that Liverpool have a better team is a travesty, to his own incompetence as a coach and a scout.
He is a complete failure and a joke.
Tuchel is a better coach in his sleep, much less of a mumbling wanker too.

You think any of the other 19 teams in the league rather face a borderline schizophrenic United team by Ten Hag or a United team led by Tuchel?

Last edited:
Tuchel is the brst choice by far. Guy is used to be a coach. He works with what he gets, not needing "his own team".

Not into the the idea of another interim after Ole and Rangnick. Only for a couple of games like when Giggs took over in 2014.

Alonso would be the dream appointment, but I'd give us close to no chance trying to convince him, firstly because of his Liverpool connections, but also because I believe he's destined to be Ancelotti's replacement at Madrid.

Nagelsmann I'd be ok with, but would he want to leave his cushy NT post for another potential circus here?

Don't want Tuchel at all tbh. Not even going to entertain Southgate.

This is what people don't seem to realise, first and foremost our priority is to stop leaking goals and prevent these humiliating defeats. We can worry about becoming a progressive, free scoring team once we have solid foundations.
Don't think, that would be a good idea at all. The same has been said about Mourinho. Then about Ole. It has created more damage than anything. We have to learn to accept a degree of pain right now, I know it sucks, but there is absolutely no point in going back to simple game plans that might have us challenge for 5th or 4th but ultimately not going anywhere. We HAVE to modernize. As painful as it is.

The story goes that Ruud will get the job interim, gets positive results and is given the job full time. A year later he fails. Otherwise here are my preferences:

1- I'd try to explore Nagelsmann, maybe he'd be tempted. He's too young for international football.
2- Failing that I'd check if Alonso would be willing to take over in the summer
3- I really like Iraola and think he should be interviewed for the job
4- Tuchel. We'd be in safe hands. I don't know if he can take us to the promised land, but I think you can trust him with building a strong team

If we end up getting Southgate I'll retire from watching football.
Also not sure about Tuchel. Yes, might be interested, might be available. But is the complete opposite of what we are currently doing. This is not necessarily a bad thing, I get that, but I feel it would require many new player to get going. There are better candidates out there, Nagelsmann sounds actually good, he has a reputation to be good at finding working formulas for given squads. Bit like Ancelotti.

Don't think, that would be a good idea at all. The same has been said about Mourinho. Then about Ole. It has created more damage than anything. We have to learn to accept a degree of pain right now, I know it sucks, but there is absolutely no point in going back to simple game plans that might have us challenge for 5th or 4th but ultimately not going anywhere. We HAVE to modernize. As painful as it is.

Also not sure about Tuchel. Yes, might be interested, might be available. But is the complete opposite of what we are currently doing. This is not necessarily a bad thing, I get that, but I feel it would require many new player to get going. There are better candidates out there, Nagelsmann sounds actually good, he has a reputation to be good at finding working formulas for given squads. Bit like Ancelotti.
I don't know what we're currently doing.

You are a bit.

We have three points from three games. When we won the PL/CL double in 2008, we had two points from three matches. I do not think we are in the same league, but it's still worse.

For me, any post-EtH has to be Nagelsman or Tuchel, and given the core disciplinary problems, and mental lapses within our squad, I'd lean to the latter.

Forget about Potter. He's a busted flush. Poch is yeaterday's yesterday. Ole?If it's Southgate, we riot (metaphorically, Jim). Can see the club hiring a 'positive vibes' coach and have pliant media sell it (The Telegraph, tongue out of cheek, have printed articles in favour of Southgate). Brexity FC. No thanks.

Nagelsman or Tuchel, or it's grim and bear it with Erik.
Go to the ETH thread and look at the form table someone posted. We're in relegation form for the last 15 games.

We need someone who isn't afraid to sit Rashford and Bruno down when they aren't performing.

Someone who can play to our strengths rather than playing suicide football.

Against the dippers it honestly looked like he tried to play Ole ball and failed miserably.

Sneaky fkr will get 5th and a league Cup and will be crowned best Manager of the decade

Why? Responded to a similar post yesterday with de Ligt's stats for every league match at Bayern under Tuchel:
They didn’t have the best relationship at Bayern.

Alonso would be the number one choice
Followed by Naglesmann
Feels like the Tuchel boat has sailed… I’m not the biggest fan anyway (definitely better than eth though)

If Ipswich does well maybe a punt on Mckenna?

Unai Emery If he can be got.Tuchel second best.

Surprised that we are 3 pages in and not a single mention of Poch. He is yet to be confirmed for the US NT post.

While I was against his appointment during the summer or even before ETH got the job, I'm slowly warming up to the idea.

The guy will get us consistently into Top4 and mould our young players into stars. Considering we have the likes of Hojlund, Garnacho, Mainoo, Collyer, Yoro, he would fit the bill to a T.

In 2-3 years when we are consistently in the CL we can upgrade on him with the likes of Alonso or even Ancelotti(or who ever is going to be the next hottest managerial prospect)

Good lord almost got a heart attack from excitement reading the thread title. Just to realise this is still hypothetical.

Last edited:
The guy will get us consistently into Top4 and mould our young players into stars. Considering we have the likes of Hojlund, Garnacho, Mainoo, Collyer, Yoro, he would fit the bill to a T.

In 2-3 years when we are consistently in the CL we can upgrade on him with the likes of Alonso or even Ancelotti(or who ever is going to be the next hottest managerial prospect)
I think this is also a bit optimistic to assume there's a single manager that would certainly make us a top4 team again. I quite rate Poch, but he's not without flaws.

I’d get an indefinite caretaker to stay until a suitable permanent manager comes available

No getting excited and hiring the caretaker full time because he won a match

I get why people are saying Tuchel, but if INEOS were that convinced by him then you would think they would have made the move for him in the summer.

Having apparently not identified anyone available who they felt was a suitable enough long term upgrade on ETH this summer, the best hope is that they now move to convincing whoever their ideal choice is to make themselves available for the job, likely at the end of this season.

If they have that ideal option in mind, then I don't particularly care what they do this season. Keep ETH or replace him with an interim, whatever. Getting the right person in place for subsequent seasons matters much more.

Well the obvious world renowned name is Tuchel…he’s won trophies and well respected but as Sir Jim has said before, things won’t change over night and I think that applies here in the sense that we now have football brains running the football operations and they will look at all options and for me I think it’s an intern, not necessarily Ruud but someone who can steady the ship and quickly, play decent football while they check on who will be available next summer, who would fit the mould, who would agree with there direction and who would get a bloody tune out of these players.

Tuchel would maybe give us one good season, one ok season and before the end of third he would get sacked. He doesn't seems to be the easiest personality. So no.

Have seen people want a more pragmatic manager and who can fecking blame them with those tactics we're seeing but i do find it interesting that our last three managers have all failed to play proactive football. Jose got 2nd place with some of the worst football i've seen at the club, said he wanted to progress the style in his third season and was sacked, Ole played his rapid counter for 2 years, tried to evolve in the third season and was sacked, and EtH abandoned a more cautious approach after his first season and we've all seen the results. We need someone to break the cycle really.

They are waiting for Nagelsmann

This would be the dream replacement for me, someone who's managed to get teams successfully playing the way we want to, which Ten Hag hasn't demonstrated he's able to so far. It means we don't throw away the good work Ten Hag has done (and there has been some, just not enough), and have a manager who can take the baton and run with it further and faster.

Luis Enrique will probably leave PSG at the end of the season. He likes the same sort of players as Ten Hag and is the only big name manager I'd have much confidence in. Plus it would be kinda funny on the back of us signing Ugarte, who I think he'd value in the Premier League a lot more than he did in France.

I think this is also a bit optimistic to assume there's a single manager that would certainly make us a top4 team again. I quite rate Poch, but he's not without flaws.
I agree. If I remember correctly, his away record vs the Big 6 is almost identical to ETH's. However the fact that he consistently beats smaller teams is what gets his results.

Last year at Chelsea he also showed a bit of resilience and that he can turn things around when everything is going against him. I think he is worth a shot at least.

Edit: Here is Poch's expected points at Chelsea. He was on course to finish Top4. Not bad considering the clown show he inherited.

Last edited:
Luis Enrique will probably leave PSG at the end of the season. He likes the same sort of players as Ten Hag and is the only big name manager I'd have much confidence in. Plus it would be kinda funny on the back of us signing Ugarte, who I think he'd value in the Premier League a lot more than he did in France.
Is he really going to leave PSG next year? I haven't seen anything to suggest it and thought he's first PSG manager in a while that seems satisfied with the job and their structure seems satisfied with him.

I think United see considerable improvement on most of the managers in the market.

This position for Eric has mostly exposed his lack of tactical nous and fluidity to adapt. Three seasons in and every season he's tried to augment a new approach that has shown zero substance of being successful aside the press in recovering the ball further up the field. That's a terrible dynamic to consider someone having spent 600 million.

If United got De Zerbi, Tuchel or even Potter it would be a monumental upgrade to Eth from a performance perspective. I don't even necessarily rate the latter two but preferably Naglesmann would be an ideal choice, I think he would do well at United given his attacking philosophy.

United doesn't require a revolutionary individual, it's just doing the basics right if the team was a 5/10 across keeping possession, defending and creating chances the quality of the team makes up for the 5 in that ratio. I'd be inclined to look at Mckenna under such circumstances included. It's what Arsenal did well last season, they didn't have an outstanding criteria they were just solid across the most important phases of the game.

What we are seeing concurrently is a decent team on paper being superseded by an absolute rubbish coach, I'm glad Carragher exposed this and spoke how it is this is a manager holding back the team and the club.