Life after ETH — the next United manager

Can see the pochettino rumours heating up again. He’s still a free agent ain’t he.

Everybody keeps mentioning RvN yet seem to be forgetting we also appointed Rene Hake from Go Ahead Eagles, I reckon he is the one who would step up with RvN assisting him.
No. We need someone with experience in one of the top European Leagues. The step up is too great otherwise.

What if Ruud takes over as temp in December and has an absolute barn storming second half of the season.
We supposedly have experts running the club now so you would hope they won't make any emotional decisions.

It's too early for this discussion. I have my doubts about ETH too but whilst he's still in the job, I will support him. At least for the next few months, anyway.

Cristophe Galtier is the the manager I'd like brought in and I feel he could turn our fortunes around pretty quickly.

He joined a Saint Etienne side battling relegation. He saved them from relegation and in the following 7 seasons, got them European football on 4 occasions. He also handed them their first cup win in 32 years with a Coupe de la Ligue win.

He took over a Lille side in turmoil mid season and saved them from relegation. In his first full season, he took them to 2nd in the division and handed them their first Champions league football in 7 years.
2 seasons later, he pulled off the impossible and won the Ligue 1 title with them. Their first league title in 10 years, beating a PSG side with Mbappe, Neymar, Di Maria, Verratti etc.

He replaced Pochettino at PSG winning another Ligue 1 title and a domestic cup.

3 x Ligue 1 Manager of the year.

There was some controversy from his time at Nice but he was quickly proven innocent after a short trial. Considering he's currently managing in Qatar, I think that proves a lot of the claims about him were completely false and he was adamant on is innocence throughout the whole ordeal.

He's currently leading the Qatar league table with 3 wins from 3 but obviously it can't be compared to the PL. He's better judged on what he achieved in France which I think is mighty impressive.

My only doubt on him would be the English language. I don't think he could speak it a few years back but it's possible he does now.

I'd take him over the likes of Tuchel, Southgate and Potter in a heartbeat

Galtier had a fantastic record in France and I was once mentioning his name here as a good option. However I think the racism stuff has killed any sort of buzz around him now though. I wasn't aware he'd been proven innocent though, I thought he'd been sacked because of it?

I wouldn’t be against bringing in somebody who understands the United DNA, of which a couple come to mind. If we sack EtH AND his coaching team that will be expensive, so budget constraints may be a problem.

Carrick - steadied the ship between Ole and Rangnick. In his 3 games he beat Villarreal to qualify for CL top 16, beat Arsenal, drew with Chelsea. Maybe should have kept him instead of bringing in Ralf (disaster).

McKenna - impressive successive promotions with Ipswich. Probably needs this season in the PL to properly judge - but we could well be in a situation where we need to take a short term risk at relatively low cost.

Not ideal, but we may have trouble attracting an elite or even 2nd tier manager if EtH takes us further down.

It's too early for this discussion. I have my doubts about ETH too but whilst he's still in the job, I will support him. At least for the next few months, anyway.

I remember this talk at this point last season. "I'll give him till Xmas", then Xmas comes and it's "he might as well get the season now" etc. We like wasting years for no reason at this club. You can't blame those running the club either when the fans want more and more of this pain and humiliation. They're just giving us what we want.

At least under Woodward we knew he'd only let it go so far, but now I have no idea of the depths we have to go to in order to see any change. Quite worrying really. Last seasons finish would have got him the sack under Woodward, that much is proven.

We supposedly have experts running the club now so you would hope they won't make any emotional decisions.
They'll be cries from the media of 'well you have to give him the job after the amazing job his done.' Then when we give it to him and things go south the following season, they will then say 'they used emotion rather than footballing brains in hiring him.'

We are three games in chill out. Brighton away is a hard game as Arsenal will attest too and Liverpool are just a better team regardless of any current manager. Let’s see how we get on in games we should be winning. I could see us going on a run after the international break, once Hojland is back.

This is missing the point. The issue here is that Utd should be seen as a hard game by the likes of Brighton and Liverpool and Palace and 16 other teams I could mention. And I don’t think any of our opponents really feel like that about Utd under Ten Hag. That’s the crux of the problem - everyone thinks they can have a go and get something out of a game against us.

I remember this talk at this point last season. "I'll give him till Xmas", then Xmas comes and it's "he might as well get the season now" etc. We like wasting years for no reason at this club. You can't blame those running the club either when the fans want more and more of this pain and humiliation. They're just giving us what we want.

At least under Woodward we knew he'd only let it go so far, but now I have no idea of the depths we have to go to in order to see any change. Quite worrying really. Last seasons finish would have got him the sack under Woodward, that much is proven.
Hasn't there been managers that have turned things around? I seem to remember a certain Scottish manager that took a while. He didn't win a bean until his forth year. Many reds calling for his head.

Hasn't there been managers that have turned things around? I seem to remember a certain Scottish manager that took a while. He didn't win a bean until his forth year. Many reds calling for his head.

Sir Alex finished 2nd in his first full season only 9 points behind big spending Liverpool and won his first trophy during his 3rd full season

Cant see ETH going very shortly , as others have said it will be christmas at the earliest. I just cant see him turning this around its been pretty woeful for a long time now.

Unai Emery would be a good choice , been outstanding at villa.

I would also not mind either Marco Silva or Graham Potter given a chance , think they could implemet some structured football.

Other than that anyone who can make the team enjoyable to watch again -Big Ange Postecoglu comes to mind here with his relentless football. Having that exiting feeling on matchday seems a distant memory at the moment

Tuchel and Southgate are a big no for me, never ends well for Tuchel and Southgate is too afraid.
As big a con as ETH for me, Ten hag will win more in English football than him

I ain't happy or content with our start but does anyone seriously believe Pep or Klopp would win with this team? How many of our players would start for City or Liverpool? Arsenal? Let's be realistic. Hopefully, we get a left back back ASAP and get a proper DM (one whose legs and head aren't gone) in the starting lineup. Rashford needs benching. Time to sweat out his future. Maybe a spell as a super sub, impact player would suit him. A new manager only gives the owners and management a fall guy and more time to dither longer while they bleed the team dry. I haven't the stomach for another 2 or 3 year reboot under a new manager. Ten Hag or Bust. I won't be shocked if we bust and I don't mean in a good way. GLAZERS OUT!!!!

The traditional post-fergie Man United managerial death vortex starts now and end in about mid-November

Who know if it'll happen to ETH?

What are you suggesting Hiddink and Rafa had over him? Big enough names to command the players?

They coached very big clubs and won big leagues and the CL. Rangnick never reached those heights as a coach and his good work as DOF was never going to be too relevant,

Ten Hag isn't a fraction of the manager that he was. Do you think he is? By this logic, any manager out there that has been managing their current team less than 4 years, could be the next Fergie. Let's go and find him, because it definetely isn't this guy.

Big name managers I'd be happy seeing appointed:

Tuchel
Enrique

Up and coming managers that would at least be exciting gambles:

Iraola
McKenna
Nagelsmann

Doubt we could get them but would go for them if we could:

Alonso
Motta
Covers just about everyone outside of Amorim for me.

I have now joined the manager out crowd. We are just set up terribly, it's definitely an instruction for the number ten to press super high which should be the strikers job it means there's a huge hole when someone goes on the press and I just don't get it.

Wow, nobody's ever made this comparison before

Yup. This is the product of what the majority of the fanbase wanted all along. Maybe not the results but you've got to live with them if the club is doing what you wanted.

Personally, I'd say for the sake of long term closure for the fanbase - I'd just let him see out his contract now.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t be against bringing in somebody who understands the United DNA, of which a couple come to mind. If we sack EtH AND his coaching team that will be expensive, so budget constraints may be a problem.

Carrick - steadied the ship between Ole and Rangnick. In his 3 games he beat Villarreal to qualify for CL top 16, beat Arsenal, drew with Chelsea. Maybe should have kept him instead of bringing in Ralf (disaster).

McKenna - impressive successive promotions with Ipswich. Probably needs this season in the PL to properly judge - but we could well be in a situation where we need to take a short term risk at relatively low cost.

Not ideal, but we may have trouble attracting an elite or even 2nd tier manager if EtH takes us further down.

What makes you think they aren't elite or 2nd tier already? CV is not something we should give much importance to when looking for a new manager, although I don't think going for Carrick before he has even managed in the PL is a good idea. However, I would be very excited by the prospect of McKenna, and wouldn't view him as a "budget option" at all.

He seems to be a good tactician (His team played very entertaining football in the Championship, even though it's probably not possible to maintain regularly in the PL, due to the difference in player quality. His squad went from one of the best in the Championship to one of the worst in the PL, so it's understandable), and his Ipswich side is definitely aware of the importance of physical superiority, or at least the squad having a very strong physical flooring in the Premier League, based on their matches so far: they were winning their duels and were physically outfighting Liverpool in the first half of their opening game. That's a very, very good sign regarding McKenna for me, and I'm sure it's partly a result of how low the physical flooring of the United squad was when he was Ole's assistant, and how big of a detriment it was in the league.

I think that defense (minus LB) would do fine and so would the STK position. The issues lie in midfield. Our wingers play in a prime Ronaldo role (don't backtrack just create and score goals) which is a problem since they have like 1/15 of his talent. Meanwhile the CM is all unbalanced. That would need to be tackled irrespectively whose the manager is.

The problem is the manager instructions. Even the LB/RB were staying very high on the pitch. The wingers did tracked back and defence. But most of the time they were instructed to stay very high to attack and hence out of position when we lost the ball.

Yeah, well, unfortunately for Erik he isn’t Scottish.

Other than managing a stacked Barca team what has he done to say confidently he can fix this mess?

It's a gamble but I'd go for it if I were the owners. I would also give him plenty of backing in the transfer window. Players would love to play under Xavi.

I still want to see what Nagals would be able to do at United....although he just resigned with Germany and think that was partly due to family reasons. Doubt he would do a 180 at Christmas and take the Utd job.

Otherwise I would want Ineos to go for Alonso. We get Alonso, we would get Wirtz. However he would probably be the most difficult manager to sign for obvious reasons. Liverpool and most thinking he will go to Madrid. He certainly won't reject if Real come calling with all that talent.

Tuchel would just be filler until he gets the bin. I think he would be able to steady the ship, but nothing more than that.