Life after ETH — the next United manager

The sheer blind faith in the man is astounding. We're in relegation form and I'm not even being hyperbolic.
Good thing is if he got us relegated, we could see progress next season.

Is he really going to leave PSG next year? I haven't seen anything to suggest it and thought he's first PSG manager in a while that seems satisfied with the job and their structure seems satisfied with him.
His contract is up next summer and he tends to work out his deal and go somewhere else. The tricky bit is that Barcelona will probably be in for him even if Flick does well.

Luis Enrique will probably leave PSG at the end of the season. He likes the same sort of players as Ten Hag and is the only big name manager I'd have much confidence in. Plus it would be kinda funny on the back of us signing Ugarte, who I think he'd value in the Premier League a lot more than he did in France.

This is incorrect. He plays a possesion style system whereas ETH hates possession. He literally froze Ugarte from the team since he doesn’t fit his system. Going for Enrique after backing ETH in the transfer market will mean having to rebuild the rebuild.

This is incorrect. He plays a possesion style system whereas ETH hates possession. He literally froze Ugarte from the team since he doesn’t fit his system. Going for Enrique after backing ETH in the transfer market will mean having to rebuild the rebuild.
If you struggle through to the end of the post, you might find that I addressed this.

Just incase that proves too difficult, both managers value players who are comfortable in possession, and both will need a ball-winner in the Premier League, managing a squad that isn't guaranteed 70% possession every game.

You are a bit.

We have three points from three games. When we won the PL/CL double in 2008, we had two points from three matches. I do not think we are in the same league, but it's still worse.
That’s it, we are on track to win the double. Might not win CL because we are not in it but will compensate with EL I guess.

But seriously, what is it with excusing him by simply digging up that one time in history where something similar may have occurred? It was the same with last years CL exit, apparently it was completely acceptable because it happened to Fergie as well (some even argued our group was ‘tricky’).

We have been in relegation form over the last 15-20 games, basically picking up just over 1 ppg.

Anyone think that michel from Girona could do a job? He seems to be overachieving there. They’ve had more possession in all 4 of there games at the start of the season. Winning 2, drawing 1 and lost 1.

Anyone think that michel from Girona could do a job? He seems to be overachieving there. They’ve had more possession in all 4 of there games at the start of the season. Winning 2, drawing 1 and lost 1.
City wouldn’t let him go to us.

My plan when we were having these conversations in Ole's last days was to get Rangnick in as caretaker and then Eric ten Hag at the end of the season.

I don't know yet what I think we should do this time but I know whatever it is we shouldn't do it.
:lol:

He's very highly rated and a hot prospect, but it's the same owners as City, which can be a bit of an issue.

If you struggle through to the end of the post, you might find that I addressed this.

Just incase that proves too difficult, both managers value players who are comfortable in possession, and both will need a ball-winner in the Premier League, managing a squad that isn't guaranteed 70% possession every game.
I did read through to the end of your post but I didn’t agree with your assessment. Why would he miraculously start valuing Ugarte when coming to a league that’s even more difficult than the French one?

They might value some similar characteristics in players but the systems they play are starkly different.

So while I also would like Luis Enrique here, I think that would necessitate another rebuild.

Emery. Likeable character, good coach. Probably won't work, he is living the good life.

And despite me hating Tuchel, he would stabilize the mess our philosopher Ten Hag has created. Admittedly it would be weird to have the modern Norman Bates doing Ed Gein impressions on the sideline. It would be uncomfortable to see into these venomous dead eyes during his pressers, but for the good of United I'll let my hatred go and accept an era of sociopathy.

The other ones are very very unlikely (Simeone, Alonso, Flick). They're going to quit their jobs to join us mid season? That will never happen.

We didn’t go for Tuchel in the summer though. What was the reason?
Apparently he was interviewed etc so must not have ‘ticked boxes’.
Apparently during the interview he was asked to estimate the number of windows in Manchester, a common on the spot tricky question and all that. And when he jokingly said "does it include the one in your computer?" expecting to get a laugh, the interviewer called the security guard instead to boot him out.

I did read through to the end of your post but I didn’t agree with your assessment. Why would he miraculously start valuing Ugarte when coming to a league that’s even more difficult than the French one?

They might value some similar characteristics in players but the systems they play are starkly different.

So while I also would like Luis Enrique here, I think that would necessitate another rebuild.
Ugarte isn't useful to a manager who has a team so much better than every side in the league that they don't need a ball-winner. You're falling into the trap of thinking that coaches are unaware of their circumstances.

I think we should take the risk with Xavi Hernandez.

1. Plays youth (Yamal, Gavi, Blade, Cubarsi etc)
  2. Likes 1v1 wingers
  3. Respects control but also understands the importance of Physicality and athleticism
  4. Young manager with room to improve
  5. Speaks the language well
  6. Proven to work well under chaos and players given to him

Surely they’d let him join a bigger club.
I don’t know how much of a say they’d have but Girona is really a joke of a club with that city link, so in all honesty I’d steer clear. Imagine this fecking club was showcasing the CL trophy won by City at their own stadium :lol:

I get why people are saying Tuchel, but if INEOS were that convinced by him then you would think they would have made the move for him in the summer.
This. I wanted Tuchel back in June for the same reasons you would want him now.

They passed on that though. Whatever the reason was, it can't be a good thing to knee-jerk back on it.

It would be interesting to see the list of prospective replacements INEOS' backroom staff compiles compared to the obvious names former Directors would have opted for.

I wonder if there would be more interest in going for a less big name/ego and to focus on a footballing coach first and foremost? The challenge with that could be the egos involved in managing a big club but I wouldn't be adverse to a more left-field appointment.

It is a bit of a kick in the teeth that ETH has started so poorly, especially how involved he presumably was in our acquisitions this window just gone. Not sure a different manager would have necessarily prioritized De Ligt/Mazraoui over other options, particularly the latter.

They couldn’t stop him could they? If he wanted a new challenge then surely they’d be big enough to accept it.
He’s probably being groomed to succeed Pep and aware of it.

We turned Tuchel down. If we go back for him then he'll be asking for assurances that we really really want him as ETH had done. That would translate in us having to concede to stuff we shouldn't concede. In my opinion Xavi would be a better option followed by the likes of Alonso, Emery and Inzaghi

To be fair most of the players we've bought, bar Ugarte are pretty good on the ball.

I'd go for Iraola, too soon for McKenna and would want to see how he does this year.

I expect RVN will get it on an interim basis until the end of this season and we'll take the season to decided how to approach.

We turned Tuchel down. If we go back for him then he'll be asking for assurances that we really really want him as ETH had done. That would translate in us having to concede to stuff we shouldn't concede. In my opinion Xavi would be a better option followed by the likes of Alonso, Emery and Inzaghi
We don't have the players to do Xavi ball or Alonso ball.

Market is dry, unfortunately. I would rather we try someone new .

Do we have the players to play Xavi's football? IMO, Alonso should be top of the list.

Ineos wanted to meet with him before FA cup but never materialised. Speculating they might try again. Nothing more...
I’m not sure I could survive extremely whiny and rather unlikeable Xavi after ETH, the undefeated champion of excuses and whining.

We don't have the players to do Xavi ball or Alonso ball.

Market is dry, unfortunately. I would rather we try someone new .

I think that defense (minus LB) would do fine and so would the STK position. The issues lie in midfield. Our wingers play in a prime Ronaldo role (don't backtrack just create and score goals) which is a problem since they have like 1/15 of his talent. Meanwhile the CM is all unbalanced. That would need to be tackled irrespectively whose the manager is.

I think us getting De Ligt is a sign that it won’t be Tuchel. INEOS wouldn’t have been short-sighted to sign a player who the next potential manager hasn’t used at his most recent club.

I do think it’ll be Southgate. The one, and maybe only benefit with him, is that he knows how to handle scrutiny. England managers get pitchforks pointed at them on the day of hiring.

if newcastle do well this seaon, then I could easily see Eddie howe getting serious consideration

Iraola would be an interesting gamble. Plays a similar high press quick transition style to ETH but with more discipline and structure.

ETH doesn't hate possession.

He just doesn't set his team up to dominate the ball with intricate passing.

I don't know what we're currently doing.
Yeah, I get that. It isn't really working as it is supposed to be I guess. But I think, we are setup for a very aggressive style of pressing to generate high turnovers to score from them. Afaik, in terms of turnovers some stats indicated even last season, that things are happening. Issues was, it didn't result in high quality chances (yet) and it (consequentially) made us vulnerable to counters which we also didn't deal with all too well. It isn't groundbreaking stuff, I am sure, Tuchel would be able to something with it, but from can be read about him, he is known for being rather riskavers and tries to control the ball. I wouldn't be against that plan but I think, it would require more adjustments to the team than another style would.

I wonder which manager we’re waiting for if it’s none of the available ones from this summer.

My gut feeling is Ruud would be equally as poor as ETH.

If his time at PSV is anything to go on, he may well be worse.

United should look at Tuchel to rescue the season (and possibly put them in with a shout of the Europa League).