Life after ETH — the next United manager

It has been too long since this club had a proper coach.

It's time to bring Tuchel in. There's no one else.

The managers we held discussions with in the summer or were interested in:

Kieran McKenna
Thomas Frank
Marco Silva
Thomas Tuchel
Roberto De Zerbi

Theres no way on God's green earth surely that it could be Southgate. Its got to be Tuchel and I wouldnt even really be that enthused about that.

The managers we held discussions with in the summer or were interested in:

Kieran McKenna
Thomas Frank
Marco Silva
Thomas Tuchel
Roberto De Zerbi
Frank has enormous experience in the PL and although not a flashy option he’s an interesting choice. I guess all three from McKenna, Silva and Frank would be willing to leave their teams before the season ends? McKenna the least likely I guess, he’ll try to have a full campaign and keep Ipswich up.

I think there's more than 2 side to the coin.

Ineos looked like a real deal this transfer window with many calling this the best window ever - INEOS have a plan & will convince a top manager to come manage the new players.

Order:

1. Nagelsmann & Ruben Amorim are our most realistic younger managers. Amorim being a Sporting Lisbon manager really strikes a historical accord with United.

2. Xabi Alonso & Zidane are great young managers but seem unealistic- you never know though, same could be said about signing a defender like Yoro.

3. A manager focusing more on us becoming a harder team to beat than appealing to the eye - Diego Simeone (someone i personally preferred to Pochettino & Tuchel for example).

4. Short term legendary managers like Ancelotti or even Conte whilst we look at younger managers developing like De Zerbi, Howe, Mckenna & Carrick to be our future managers.

Reactions: Jippy
I still rate Thomas Frank but I gather not everyone would be keen on him.

I think Unai Emery is the second best manager in the league.

Think we'd finally turn into a formidable team, not just domestically but in Europe as well.

Tuchel would be a great move. First and foremost what we need to do is stop losing, and stop being thrashed. He would bring both of those, I think.
This is what people don't seem to realise, first and foremost our priority is to stop leaking goals and prevent these humiliating defeats. We can worry about becoming a progressive, free scoring team once we have solid foundations.

This is what people don't seem to realise, first and foremost our priority is to stop leaking goals and prevent these humiliating defeats. We can worry about becoming a progressive, free scoring team once we have solid foundations.
Not being outclassed by Brightons, Bournemouths and Palaces of this world would be a great start indeed.

Xavi got fired at Barca because his training wasn't good enough. They weren't even very good to watch either. Don't want him at United.

Tuchel is a huge upgrade on Ten Hag. His teams are well-structured and organised. I would be happy going for him.

Allegri? Christ, no!

Iraola would be my number-one choice, but he has just signed with Bournemouth. That SHOULDN'T be a problem for Manchester United, but it's a long time since a Premier League club took someone's manager mid-season. I think our players would suit him, and his football suits us.

Luis Enrique, I’m sure he’d love to manage in the EPL.
Great idea, we've just signed Ugarte so we should go hire the manager who binned off Ugarte because he wasn't good enough to play tiki taka.

Yeah I alluded to this in the match day thread yesterday, but these constant humiliations at the hands of our rivals and minnows has to be affecting the team mentally.

There’s no way they don’t go into these matches against Liverpool or arsenal thinking they’re going to lose. It’s no wonder when we concede one we inevitably go on to concede a few more.

We need to become a stable team before we become anything else. ETH’s clown ball promotes the direct opposite of stability.

Call Alonso and ask him what he wants and he can have it. Throw RVN in until the end of the season when he joins.

If he doesn’t fancy it then get Tuchel in and tell him he’s got two seasons to make us top 4 regulars.

Emery would be my preference based on his PL experience, European trophy haul and clear ability to take a squad to a higher level. My only question mark would be whether he has the charisma for the role, which is clearly a necessity for the United job.

Tuchel has the track record trophies wise but he will bring discord, he's done it at literally every other club - I can't see him working happily with a hierarchy who don't agree with his every decision - and our new set-up are clearly (rightly) an opinionated and experienced bunch.

Xavi also seems too much of a livewire and still fairly inexperienced. Can't see Alonso or Enrique being interested.

Nagelsmann maybe... but would rather see how he does at another club first.

McKenna needs another stepping stone before United as well.

If we get Tuchel then de Ligt becomes a problem. That’s why we should’ve just sacked ETH at the start of the summer.

You'd have to be special kind of stupid to think ETH will get sacked before December the very earliest
December is quite realistic I think. No way INEOS will wait until it’s mathematically impossible to get top4, they will desperately try to avoid another ETH masterclass at 8th place.

Please not Tuchel. I still have faith Ten Hag will turn us around and deliver a decent season. Some positive signs behind the defeats.

Tuchel would be good if we were already better and only need to achieve one final step. As things are I don't think he'd have the patience to turn things around here and things would go sour before they do.

You'd have to be special kind of stupid to think ETH will get sacked before December the very earliest
He absolutely could be. They aren’t going to sack him this international break. But if we are in the bottom half with 6+ league defeats already by October/November the pressure will be too much and INEOS will have to act.

Whoever the next manager is should depend on what the actual plan is. We heard a lot about how Wilcox was going to set out this "game model" and how it was his idea to change formation before the cup final last year - we aren't hearing about his tactical wisdom at the start of this season funnily enough....

Have a long term strategy and work back from there. If they believe in their plan and their people to implement it, then they should go with it. I don't see Tuchel fitting in with them, but he has the best CV.

December would be terrible. Don't think anyone can put up with this for another 3+ months.
Please not Tuchel. I still have faith Ten Hag will turn us around and deliver a decent season. Some positive signs behind the defeats.
How is Januzaj doing at Las Palmas?

The sheer blind faith in the man is astounding. We're in relegation form and I'm not even being hyperbolic.

I'd love Nagalsmann tbh. I can see him go far with this squad. Tuchal is probably the only real option we have.

The sheer blind faith in the man is astounding. We're in relegation form and I'm not even being hyperbolic.
We are three games in chill out. Brighton away is a hard game as Arsenal will attest too and Liverpool are just a better team regardless of any current manager. Let’s see how we get on in games we should be winning. I could see us going on a run after the international break, once Hojland is back.

What’s the clubs vision of how we want to play over the coming 5-10 years? Counter-pressing? Possession based? High intensity? Offensive? Defensive? Forward progression? Transitional? This needs to be stated from the management.

Then bring in a coach that fits their ideology. There are enough of data tools today that easily can find coaches that plays in a preferred way. Doesn’t need to be the most hyped manager or the most elite class. But it needs to fit the long term strategy and vision.

The story goes that Ruud will get the job interim, gets positive results and is given the job full time. A year later he fails. Otherwise here are my preferences:

1- I'd try to explore Nagelsmann, maybe he'd be tempted. He's too young for international football.
2- Failing that I'd check if Alonso would be willing to take over in the summer
3- I really like Iraola and think he should be interviewed for the job
4- Tuchel. We'd be in safe hands. I don't know if he can take us to the promised land, but I think you can trust him with building a strong team

If we end up getting Southgate I'll retire from watching football.

You are a bit.

We have three points from three games. When we won the PL/CL double in 2008, we had two points from three matches. I do not think we are in the same league, but it's still worse.

For me, any post-EtH has to be Nagelsman or Tuchel, and given the core disciplinary problems, and mental lapses within our squad, I'd lean to the latter.

Forget about Potter. He's a busted flush. Poch is yeaterday's yesterday. Ole?If it's Southgate, we riot (metaphorically, Jim). Can see the club hiring a 'positive vibes' coach and have pliant media sell it (The Telegraph, tongue out of cheek, have printed articles in favour of Southgate). Brexity FC. No thanks.

Nagelsman or Tuchel, or it's grim and bear it with Erik.

You are a bit.

We have three points from three games. When we won the PL/CL double in 2008, we had two points from three matches. I do not think we are in the same league, but it's still worse.
Our relegation form is not just the last three league games, but the last twelve-fifteen or so.