Leny Yoro image 15

Leny Yoro France flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

Not to worry you all, but didn't Phil Jones and Cleverley play blinders for us in 10/11 only for both players to never reach the same heights again after ankle injuries? Rooney too you could argue. He's very young but it's a bastard of an injury.

Relax. It's bad luck but he clearly is talented and like Mainoo last season he will come back and play a vital part.

3 months :lol: oh if you don’t laugh you’ll cry

Awful luck :(

But silver lining is it accelerates De Ligt or Branthwaite

Not to worry you all, but didn't Phil Jones and Cleverley play blinders for us in 10/11 only for both players to never reach the same heights again after ankle injuries? Rooney too you could argue. He's very young but it's a bastard of an injury.
Good thing it's his foot then

Martinez came back in top form from the same injury. I know it's not the same scenario, as Lisandro was already established and settled in United, but all the noises coming out of Lille are saying that he reacts with maturity on a setback, whether that's a mistake in a game, or something else.

So that’s 9 games. Which is bad but my worry is more it not really being 3 months and how it affects him when he returns. Will he come back from injury like Mainoo did last year or hover around the fringes struggling to regain his usual level. That is more important than 3 months given he’s signed for the long term.
Thankfully he's a CB which means physical fitness wise it should be a bit easier plus he seemed to fit right in having not started with the others in pre-season which bodes well. (I'm trying to find reasons to be cheerful here).

I mean I do not rate ETH, and I think the injuries defence rescuing him will prove to be an error in time, however, FFS Yoro out for 3 months, as a team we cannot get a break unless it is a metatarsal

Are people actually arguing whether he would be able to come back to his best form after 3 months out?

Then again people still believe Possebon's 2-week injury following Pogatetz's challenge turned him from one of the best prospects in the world into a mediocre player, so possibly.

Article from NYTimes/Athletic confirming that we knew about a metatarsal issue when we signed Yoro.

"medical scans showed a possible metatarsal issue when he joined last month from French top-flight club Lille. Executives pressed ahead with the signing anyway, due to a firm belief the 18-year-old defender will be a top player for United for the next decade. It was seen as a rare opportunity to capture one of Europe’s highly-regarded young players, ahead of Real Madrid, as the fee (a potential €70million; £59.8m/$76.8m) demonstrates."

They also mention that this wont impact his future and is expected to make complete recovery post surgery

We signed Rooney despite metatarsal injury, so here's to hoping he makes the same impact. But sounds a bit amateurish that he was played if true

Totally illogical in a lot of ways but I fear that he’s going to be injury prone for his career if he’s picked up an injury like this at 18.

Totally illogical in a lot of ways but I fear that he’s going to be injury prone for his career if he’s picked up an injury like this at 18.
Was Rooney injury prone?
He’s had what, 2 or 3 metatarsal breaks? One of those was vs Portugal in the Euros when he was 18.
Why did we rush to play him then?
That’s the biggest issue with the whole situation, what were the manager and the medical stuff thinking?
Leny played like a day after signing a contract, this is absurd and incompetent on so many levels.
Let the lad heal, then introduce him into the team, what was the rush?

Yes. He trained immediately after signing and played a game the next day.
It’s a freak injury. He’s an 18 year old athlete you don’t need to wrap them in cotton wool. Shit happens and it doesn’t have to have blame attributed to it. I’m sure there’s someone you’d love to level the blame at though.

Yes. He trained immediately after signing and played a game the next day.
And he was fine. It was the next match he went off injured. He trained for Lille as well, so he had the same amount of training as most of the other players on the pitch. They even took precautions and had him train a bit less intensely, it was just rotten luck this one.

It’s a freak injury. He’s an 18 year old athlete you don’t need to wrap them in cotton wool. Shit happens and it doesn’t have to have blame attributed to it. I’m sure there’s someone you’d love to level the blame at though.

I’m not moaning or blaming anyone. If the scan picked up a weakness or defect I'm just saying maybe we could have done things differently. It seemed rushed and needless to start him quickly in a friendly.

3 months in the grand scheme of things is nothing. Like @BarstoolProphet said, we signed Rooney like 2 months after he broke his metatarsal and that worked out well enough.

Being aware of it being an issue doesn't mean they knew it would break. They obviously identified it as a hotspot and tried to manage it (45 min games and 50% sessions) but it happened anyway. Shit happens. It happened to Martinez out of nowhere and he's fine now.

We also signed Hojlund with a lower back injury, managed it and everything worked out. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't.

Rooney injured his metatarsal in the game vs Chelsea before the Euros.

He broke his metatarsal multiple times, one of which was just before signing for us in 2004.

Every player gets injured, too many fans here have some sort of injury ptsd. Players will get injured, it is what it is.

Rooney injured his metatarsal in the game vs Chelsea before the Euros.
Rooney broke his metatarsal at Euro 2004 in the QF against Portugal.

He was signed anyway and didn't make his debut until the end of September (the hat-trick against Fenerbahce).

Stress fractures, especially, around the metatarsals are not unusual in high level athletes. Its unclear which metatarsal had the concern as there is some difference in management.
Usually when detected we look at the period within the season, chronicity of symptoms, stability then decision of surgery vs conservative is taken.
Scans can show some “delay” of full healing on radiology when in actuality full healing has occurred. In these situations, patient’s symptoms dictate a big part of the weight bearing status and clearance.
Medical personal may have seen that he was completely asymptomatic and cleared him. No way was he symptomatic + had radiological evidence of ongoing healing and they cleared him.

All in all, surgery is the way to go for high level athletes. Leads to faster healing+recovery, and less future issues :+1:

Reactions: Solius
If he had this issue at time of medical, why didn’t they instantly sort it instead of playing him and waiting for the inevitable…

If he had this issue at time of medical, why didn’t they instantly sort it instead of playing him and waiting for the inevitable…
What should they have done, sternly told his bone to be stronger?

I’m no expert, it’s just a question, so what you’re saying is he just has a weak bone? I read it as he already had issues with it…
I'm definitely not claiming to be an expert either, what AS18_ posted above sounds quite plausible though.

We don‘t have a clue and none of us have seen the xrays or know how to read them (unless you are a doctor).

Sounds like they made a plan to manage the issue. The break occurred despite that.

The artificial pitches in the US are to blame in my opinion. They are much harder on athletes. You could see how dry/rough it was.

Probably the best time for him to get an injury.
I don’t agree. Possible return date is at the end of November according to preminjuries.
At that time there is a big risk that other CBs are out because of injuries, and he will need to play more than planned for.