Leny Yoro image 15

Leny Yoro France flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

Seems like a consistent ETH issue. Martinez was also rushed back.

Seems like a consistent ETH issue. Martinez was also rushed back.
Yoro wasn't rushed back from anything though. Martinez also wasn't rushed back to begin with, the surgery hadn't worked so he had to go back under the knife. EtH then actually eased him back, and he had that freak knee injury against West Ham.

He then had a calf injury, probably from trying to push himself to get back before the end of the season. That's probably the only time you can say he was rushed back.

My inference is they're thinking of Yoro's age.
How is getting an injury when young the best time to get an injury? I'd say it's comfortably the worst. Shaw's injuries started when he was teenager and look how that turned out. Same with R9.

How is getting an injury when young the best time to get an injury? I'd say it's comfortably the worst. Shaw's injuries started when he was teenager and look how that turned out. Same with R9.
Shaw's injury was a double leg break that led to such severe blood clots he was told he might lose his leg at one point. The guy had to basically learn how to walk again.

That's going to set you back at any age. The only reason it's probably better to do it at 30 is because at least then your career has already happened. You're probably much less likely to return from it though.

There seems to be confusion here over whether this was a pre-existing injury or whether this is something Yoro has had all his life. My reading of the article led me to believe that this was a minor injury that we should have been wary of, and delayed any intense training or starts for Yoro. Others here seem to be saying it was not a minor injury, but he has simply always had weak metarsal bones. Is this based on anything other than the Athletic article? Yoro's never had injury issues before this, so I'd be somewhat surprised if this is something he's always suffered from. Would also mean this will likely be a career-long threat.

There seems to be confusion here over whether this was a pre-existing injury or whether this is something Yoro has had all his life. My reading of the article led me to believe that this was a minor injury that we should have been wary of, and delayed any intense training or starts for Yoro. Others here seem to be saying it was not a minor injury, but he has simply always had weak metarsal bones. Is this based on anything other than the Athletic article? Yoro's never had injury issues before this, so I'd be somewhat surprised if this is something he's always suffered from. Would also mean this will likely be a career-long threat.

I don't know what sort of medical you'd do to figure that out - you'd need his medical history going back a decade.

Shaw's injury was a double leg break that led to such severe blood clots he was told he might lose his leg at one point. The guy had to basically learn how to walk again.

That's going to set you back at any age. The only reason it's probably better to do it at 30 is because at least then your career has already happened. You're probably much less likely to return from it though.
You might recover slightly better at 18 than you would at 30 but I'd say that's comfortably outweighed by the fact that you'll have had 10+ years playing without issue, instead of getting an injury that, even if it healed slightly better than if you had sustained it at 30, has a good chance of reoccurring throughout your 20s.

I don't know what sort of medical you'd do to figure that out - you'd need his medical history going back a decade.
That's why I don't understand why people have interpreted it that way instead of the far more likely and common scenario that he had picked up a minor injury recently, that with extra time and rehabilitation would have decreased the chances of aggravation.

That's why I don't understand why people have interpreted it that way instead of the far more likely and common scenario that he had picked up a minor injury recently, that with extra time and rehabilitation would have decreased the chances of aggravation.

Let's be honest, you know precisely the reason why.

Complete nonsense in this scenario as many posters have already said.
Why is it complete nonsense when it still hasn't been clearly established whether this was a long-term or short-term issue? If Yoro had only recently sustained this minor issue, then the decision to throw him into matches so quickly would be an example of negligence. The rate of injuries under ETH definitely deserves some scrutiny and at the very least shouldn't be simply disregarded as nonsense like it's not worthy of debate.

You might recover slightly better at 18 than you would at 30 but I'd say that's comfortably outweighed by the fact that you'll have had 10+ years playing without issue, instead of getting an injury that, even if it healed slightly better than if you had sustained it at 30, has a good chance of reoccurring throughout your 20s.
Yes which I agreed with

Why is it complete nonsense when it still hasn't been clearly established whether this was a long-term or short-term issue? If Yoro had only recently sustained this minor issue, then the decision to throw him into matches so quickly would be an example of negligence. The rate of injuries under ETH definitely deserves some scrutiny and at the very least shouldn't be simply disregarded as nonsense like it's not worthy of debate.
Firstly it's nonsense because it comes from the positivity vacuum that is Skills.

Secondly it's because it was clearly determined by a brand new medical team and set of coaches that this was the correct way to manage him. A 45 min pre-season game and 50% sessions was deemed appropriate but he clearly had an issue that would've been prone to breaking regardless considering it went so easily. To frame it as ETH alone chucking him into the deep end is just false.

Shouldn't this thread be inactive for about the next three months?? :eek:

He seemed fine after the Rangers game, however if there was concern then should have probably managed it better like Hojlund

We knew it was a massive risk to let him play on dry artificial pitches with that issue but we did it anyway. Some of you lot are too quick to defend the club, he shouldn't have played those US pre-season games.

We knew it was a massive risk to let him play on dry artificial pitches with that issue but we did it anyway. Some of you lot are too quick to defend the club, he shouldn't have played those US pre-season games.
Players shouldn't play pre season games? So how will they improve their fitness and develop chemistry with team mates? And Secondly, the ridiculous wages that players are on is only sustainable through immense commercial activities like flying to the US. Injuries happen, it is a physical sport and even more so now that almost every team plays intense football and presses like maniacs.

The term "injury prone" will become irrelevant soon as more players across different leagues get more injuries due to the amount of games played.

His young age and the fact he’s new to the PL make it extra bad if he has to play more than planned for imo. Would be better to ease him in.

Yeah definitely should have eased him in more

EtH gets so much blame...Martinez was fully recovered from his injury, then he decided to shield/wrestle the ball out of play instead of just clearing it, and ended up with the full weight a player landing on his leg. How the feck that could be anyone fault other than Martinez is beyond me.

But to stay on topic, Yoro's injury will be a small price to pay in the long run. He might even be back after the first international break!

If the medical department deemed him fine to play in the US would you be fine with that?

Article from NYTimes/Athletic confirming that we knew about a metatarsal issue when we signed Yoro.

"medical scans showed a possible metatarsal issue when he joined last month from French top-flight club Lille. Executives pressed ahead with the signing anyway, due to a firm belief the 18-year-old defender will be a top player for United for the next decade. It was seen as a rare opportunity to capture one of Europe’s highly-regarded young players, ahead of Real Madrid, as the fee (a potential €70million; £59.8m/$76.8m) demonstrates."
And we just had to go and use him bloody pointless friendly didnt we

Stress fractures, especially, around the metatarsals are not unusual in high level athletes. Its unclear which metatarsal had the concern as there is some difference in management.
Usually when detected we look at the period within the season, chronicity of symptoms, stability then decision of surgery vs conservative is taken.
Scans can show some “delay” of full healing on radiology when in actuality full healing has occurred. In these situations, patient’s symptoms dictate a big part of the weight bearing status and clearance.
Medical personal may have seen that he was completely asymptomatic and cleared him. No way was he symptomatic + had radiological evidence of ongoing healing and they cleared him.

All in all, surgery is the way to go for high level athletes. Leads to faster healing+recovery, and less future issues :+1:

This guy metatarsals.

Seems that way....

On another note I really hope we are better with this, no rushing players back this season ffs!

Firstly it's nonsense because it comes from the positivity vacuum that is Skills.

Secondly it's because it was clearly determined by a brand new medical team and set of coaches that this was the correct way to manage him. A 45 min pre-season game and 50% sessions was deemed appropriate but he clearly had an issue that would've been prone to breaking regardless considering it went so easily. To frame it as ETH alone chucking him into the deep end is just false.

Metatarsal is a pretty straightforward injury. I know cause I broke it myself. I won't be surprised if the injury was, in a sense, premeditated. They wanted to see if Yoro's metatarsal can handle the pressure of playing semi competitive football and if not it would be better if he had the operation now then in the worst period of the season when we needed him the most.

EtH gets so much blame...Martinez was fully recovered from his injury, then he decided to shield/wrestle the ball out of play instead of just clearing it, and ended up with the full weight a player landing on his leg. How the feck that could be anyone fault other than Martinez is beyond me.

But to stay on topic, Yoro's injury will be a small price to pay in the long run. He might even be back after the first international break!

Ole and Jose also got blamed for supposedly being negligent with players’ health. Time to realise that the average United fan doesn’t have a fecking clue what they’re talking about in this regard and that the club consults the relevant experts with hands-on knowledge before making a decision over whether a player is fit enough to play. Some of the accusations levelled at our managers in this regard are pretty fecking disgraceful as far as I’m concerned.

We don‘t have a clue and none of us have seen the xrays or know how to read them (unless you are a doctor).

Sounds like they made a plan to manage the issue. The break occurred despite that.

The artificial pitches in the US are to blame in my opinion. They are much harder on athletes. You could see how dry/rough it was.

It was not an artificial pitch.