Kobbie Mainoo England flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
After downplaying him for months, rival fanbases are starting to take note of what we've known all along :lol:

His passing is so, so clean. The way he hits a ball. The ability to drive forward by dragging the ball with the outside of his boot. What a player this kid is.

Excellent first half, faded out in the second half.

If he can improve his stamina and dictate the game more as he has all the attributes to do so, sky is the limit.

Who was that prick that wrote the article about him after they lost a friendly? Wonder what his thoughts are now

Please sign a proper midfielder and pair him with Mainoo. We will win the midfield battle 8 out of 10 times if he has a competent midfielder with him.

I think he's been England's best player.

Certainly the most consistent. How it took until half time in the 3rd game for Southgate to realise Mainoo should be in the team I will never understand but at least he's there now. Hope he does another number on Rodri in a final.

Brilliant performance. Personally I don't think stamina is the main issue for the quiet 2nd half. The midfield started to get over crowded and the game state became more conservative and cagey. I think in those situations there's room to improve in terms of how he makes space for himself to get on the ball. It's not just his fault as the rest of the team has been conditioned not to pass into tight spaces in the centre. Hopefully something that changes as they realise his ability to receive the ball in these situations.

Wait till he signs a big new contract and becomes like Rashford
I hope not, there is this appeal going back to Gerrard/Lampard that every player has to be the "star". Bellingham is being shoved into that at the minute because of his further forward role last year. The harder and more prestigious job is to be the provider. Players like that were worth their weight in gold and somemore. He just needs to keep his humility which I think and believe is self made.

He's a smart player.
Meanwhile Foden was channeling his inner Antony.

After downplaying him for months, rival fanbases are starting to take note of what we've known all along :lol:

Not just rival fans. Some of the comments even a noticeable number of United fans didn’t seem to realise what a player he already was.

He's mint and he's only just getting started

The best part is there's still a lot of improvement to come, not just because he's young but because he plays a different type of game to a lot of the England team in that he wants to play 1-2 touch, lots of short runs , triangles etc he can drift out of the game at times because England are a lot more about power and pace

He's got a natural link up with Foden who's similar and plays that technical interplay style too but a lot of the rest of the squad are more direct (not a criticism because clearly they're all very good). He'll get bigger and stronger and more experienced on the field and can then really assert himself

In a couple of years he has the potential to dictate how the whole team plays for both United and England

I love that everyone in the media was calling for failed fullback TAA to play in midfield because 'he's too good to leave' out only for an actual midfielder to come along and show him how it's done. He's only had what 5 months of top level football leading into this tournament - now he's nailed on to start the final. Extraordinary

Unbelievable talent and our future is so bright with him both for United and England. Though his first half last night was exceptional, 2nd half when England were poorer as a team he was a bit quieter but still always looked to make something happen. Love him as a player!

What a year he's had. From the fringes of United to being one of the best English players in the Euros. Well in Kobbie, well in!

I really hope we're cognizant enough to take care of him, restitution and recovery after a long season for someone as young as Mainoo is, still, will be imperative.

Not just rival fans. Some of the comments even a noticeable number of United fans didn’t seem to realise what a player he already was.

It is really difficult to not get over excited about Mainoo. In the first half, his contribution was absolutely outstanding and with Foden was causing the Netherlands immense problems.

He is already performing at a very high level and the best thing is, he is one of ours.
Many top clubs will be looking at him with envious eyes.

I think I waxed lyrical about him enough last season, stating with certainty this is where he’d be when it wasn’t even a concept for some that he’d be in the team, let alone a key component, but even then, he’s exceeded my expectations because he’s England’s best player this tournament and I am certain that if any one player is going to shine in the final for England, it will be him. I wouldn’t have stuck my neck that far out for him last season when making other declarations, so here we are!

Mainoo will be in his element with the way Spain play football; he is one of few in the England squad who could line up for the Spanish and elevate their technical level and actually enhance them, which is the biggest compliment that can be given to a midfielder, in this day and age.

Like watching a hustler trying to dupe a crowd and have them miss which cup from three the ball is under via sleight of hand being caught out by one or two in the audience, Mainoo is the proverbial 1 or 2 who see straight through the trickery and will be able to follow the actions and intent of the Spanish midfield to the wire, not only breaking their rhythm, but then also leading them on a merry dance to get the ball back. He will be crucial in the final, if England are to have any chance of contesting for midfield and making it a two-way affair for both teams. He’s 19, yet everyone around him has to elevate to his level in that team, and if they do, Spain will be just as concerned about the midfield battle as England have to be.

The superlatives for his game are coming in thick and fast, but his dead-eye calmness belies not only his age, but most players, as they themselves will never have that composure and competence on a football pitch. Like Yamal, like Pedri, not only does he perform in high pressure situations, he elevates his game and thrives. It’s no coincidence whatsoever that he pops up at decisive moments with decisive actions - just like the aforementioned - because the more others flap, the easier it becomes for these players to exploit gaps and errors or hesitancy - the time other players become acutely aware of the stakes and panic, is the moment these kind of players have their ‘got ‘em’ moment.

I would never normally advocate for Mainoo to be on the pitch beyond his current fitness level, but I feel it is absolutely essential he remains on Sunday, as he is one of few who will be able to see clearly in the fog of a high pressure final when others get tense and terrified of the weight of responsibility and burden on their shoulders. Mainoo produces that moment when a game could and should turn more than anyone else in the side, and if it wasn’t for others, namely Kane and Foden messing up what he has provided, he’d be on a few assists and a goal for this tournament thus far. Mainoo feeding Watkins/Kane, Saka or Bellingham for a key goal is highly probable if they don’t fluff their lines; he might even be the match winner himself, such is his ability and calm in the highest pressure environments. Give him the means, and him putting on his best performance of the competition is not out of the question. He’s also one of very, very few already proven to give Rodri fits 1:1, which is another testament to his ability.

Final thing I’ll say is it won’t be a surprise if Spain target Mainoo for systematic fouling to try and disrupt his game, which in turn would upset England’s buildup play. Take Mainoo down a peg or two and England will be resorting to avoiding building through the middle of the pitch.

Mainoo, like Yamal, will be looked to by teammates to do something special in the final - I think the deference - and thus acknowledgment - to him will be clear. I won’t say this will be *his* team, but eyes will be on him, just like they are with Bellingham, to be that guy, rather than a supporting cast member. Insane when you think back to this time a year ago when it was ‘Kobbie Who!?’ For the nation.

If he has a good to great game, I actually believe England have as equal a chance of winning as Spain do… unfortunately, they have their own freak who may just have something to say about that, who will be deferred to just like Kobbie will.

One reason he looked a bit more static in the second half might be that he seems to get tired of getting himself into space without getting the ball. He started to wave his arms in frustration more as the game went on.
I think England if anything should try to needle the ball through to him way more often. Him and Foden are really good in tight spaces.
Stones is supposed to be top notch at these kinds of passes, no? He seems to shy away from these passes a lot in favour of the safe sidefooted passes along the back 4.

Who was that prick that wrote the article about him after they lost a friendly? Wonder what his thoughts are now

Jacob Steinberg. The same guy that claimed ETH was 100 % finished right before the final.

I would never normally advocate for Mainoo to be on the pitch beyond his current fitness level, but I feel it is absolutely essential he remains on Sunday, as he is one of few who will be able to see clearly in the fog of a high pressure final when others get tense and terrified of the weight of responsibility and burden on their shoulders.

I couldn’t agree more with all of your post but just on this part, watch Southgate drop him for Gallagher on Sunday because he wants “more energy in the midfield to counter Spain”.

I couldn’t agree more with all of your post but just on this part, watch Southgate drop him for Gallagher on Sunday because he wants “more energy in the midfield to counter Spain”.
I just can’t see it. Mainoo has been one of our best players and importantly Southgate will have seen his defensive contributions too last night which will please him.

Wondering how the midfield of Ugarte/Mainoo can do for us

We did well with "In-form Casemiro and half fit Ericksen with Bruno" in the run upto league cup after world cup in Q1-2023
Wondering what these 2 youngsters can do as their potential is really good.