Kobbie Mainoo England flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
His first half was brilliant, all over the pitch and dictating play. Second half was disappointing and seemed like he disappeared, though I think a lot of that would be down to Southgate's tactics (only 13 passes in second half, compared to 29 in first half).

Some context that he also has amongst the lowest forward pass rates, so he's playing a lot more safer passes than other players as well.
And yet I can still think of several great forward passes yesterday when he could have had 1 or two assists.

His first half was brilliant, all over the pitch and dictating play. Second half was disappointing and seemed like he disappeared, though I think a lot of that would be down to Southgate's tactics (only 13 passes in second half, compared to 29 in first half).

That was down to the Netherlands tactics. Not much place in the middle third between the lines

Some context that he also has amongst the lowest forward pass rates, so he's playing a lot more safer passes than other players as well.

Or he is playing lot of passes in final third, where even cut backs are considered as backpasses.

He isn't playing as deeper player, he is among top 15% when it comes to touches in the final third and top 10% when it comes to touches in penalty box. That tells why his forward passes are lower even though he played some good passes.

Mainoo positions to receive and be reactionary to what occurs off the ball - we’ve seen him chain a few times with Kane, Foden and Palmer, but not with the actual midfield because they don’t move or think like passing and moving players do. Rice is supposed to play in to Mainoo and close in behind his own pass, thus shortening the distance and potentially initiating the chain.

The smaller pitches of futsal make it much easier for those players to transfer to larger pitches with slower thinkers, or players not drilled in those movements, so always playing catchup.

He's fine when the balls moved into the final third of the pitch.

His problem is the first third of the build up. He doesn't make himself available to his CBs enough. And that is a massive shame because, he's got the touch, control, intelligence and short passing ability to move the ball efficiently into the final third.

He should be getting 80+ touches a game and you're not going to do that, if you're not taking the ball off your CBs. I keep seeing how the passers are at fault for not giving him the ball, but that's always a terrible pass to make because he's too far away from the ball. If he dropped in a bit closer to the passer, the passing distance is shorter and then that pass becomes on even if he's marked.

I think I waxed lyrical about him enough last season, stating with certainty this is where he’d be when it wasn’t even a concept for some that he’d be in the team, let alone a key component, but even then, he’s exceeded my expectations because he’s England’s best player this tournament and I am certain that if any one player is going to shine in the final for England, it will be him. I wouldn’t have stuck my neck that far out for him last season when making other declarations, so here we are!

Mainoo will be in his element with the way Spain play football; he is one of few in the England squad who could line up for the Spanish and elevate their technical level and actually enhance them, which is the biggest compliment that can be given to a midfielder, in this day and age.

Like watching a hustler trying to dupe a crowd and have them miss which cup from three the ball is under via sleight of hand being caught out by one or two in the audience, Mainoo is the proverbial 1 or 2 who see straight through the trickery and will be able to follow the actions and intent of the Spanish midfield to the wire, not only breaking their rhythm, but then also leading them on a merry dance to get the ball back. He will be crucial in the final, if England are to have any chance of contesting for midfield and making it a two-way affair for both teams. He’s 19, yet everyone around him has to elevate to his level in that team, and if they do, Spain will be just as concerned about the midfield battle as England have to be.

The superlatives for his game are coming in thick and fast, but his dead-eye calmness belies not only his age, but most players, as they themselves will never have that composure and competence on a football pitch. Like Yamal, like Pedri, not only does he perform in high pressure situations, he elevates his game and thrives. It’s no coincidence whatsoever that he pops up at decisive moments with decisive actions - just like the aforementioned - because the more others flap, the easier it becomes for these players to exploit gaps and errors or hesitancy - the time other players become acutely aware of the stakes and panic, is the moment these kind of players have their ‘got ‘em’ moment.

I would never normally advocate for Mainoo to be on the pitch beyond his current fitness level, but I feel it is absolutely essential he remains on Sunday, as he is one of few who will be able to see clearly in the fog of a high pressure final when others get tense and terrified of the weight of responsibility and burden on their shoulders. Mainoo produces that moment when a game could and should turn more than anyone else in the side, and if it wasn’t for others, namely Kane and Foden messing up what he has provided, he’d be on a few assists and a goal for this tournament thus far. Mainoo feeding Watkins/Kane, Saka or Bellingham for a key goal is highly probable if they don’t fluff their lines; he might even be the match winner himself, such is his ability and calm in the highest pressure environments. Give him the means, and him putting on his best performance of the competition is not out of the question. He’s also one of very, very few already proven to give Rodri fits 1:1, which is another testament to his ability.

Final thing I’ll say is it won’t be a surprise if Spain target Mainoo for systematic fouling to try and disrupt his game, which in turn would upset England’s buildup play. Take Mainoo down a peg or two and England will be resorting to avoiding building through the middle of the pitch.

Mainoo, like Yamal, will be looked to by teammates to do something special in the final - I think the deference - and thus acknowledgment - to him will be clear. I won’t say this will be *his* team, but eyes will be on him, just like they are with Bellingham, to be that guy, rather than a supporting cast member. Insane when you think back to this time a year ago when it was ‘Kobbie Who!?’ For the nation.

If he has a good to great game, I actually believe England have as equal a chance of winning as Spain do… unfortunately, they have their own freak who may just have something to say about that, who will be deferred to just like Kobbie will.

Never heard that proverb before, it's not that punchy is it!

He's fine when the balls moved into the final third of the pitch.

His problem is the first third of the build up. He doesn't make himself available to his CBs enough. And that is a massive shame because, he's got the touch, control, intelligence and short passing ability to move the ball efficiently into the final third.

He should be getting 80+ touches a game and you're not going to do that, if you're not taking the ball off your CBs. I keep seeing how the passers are at fault for not giving him the ball, but that's always a terrible pass to make because he's too far away from the ball. If he dropped in a bit closer to the passer, the passing distance is shorter and then that pass becomes on even if he's marked.
He can’t be in two places at once. First receiver is not his brief in this team, especially with how the movement ahead of him if he doesn’t link is dire. It would be valid criticism if he was shirking on his own brief, but he’s the central hub, not the guy tasked with going so deep to collect. In fact, England have been using CB’s to progress the ball because Rice won’t do it.

GSNgp3MWkAAdj-b

Pretty sure the Spanish team has stopping Mainoo as their top priority for the final.

The best thing about watching Mainoo is that the players around him look electric also.

Foden and Saka have been much better in the knockout stages, and I think a large part of that is down to Mainoo knitting play together down that right channel for them.

Foden got a lot more plaudits last night because he was picking the ball up higher and had those few chances, but Depay getting injured was a blessing for the Dutch and when Veerman came on, it was Mainno he was straight onto, because he was actually fully controlling the game around that 30 minute mark.

It was incredible to watch. It was actually a first half performance you'd be accustomed to seeing from the likes of Rodri or Kroos.

The second half was a bit disappointing, but I thought we saw another side to Mainoo's game, with the way he blocked off passing lanes and tracked runners for the entire half. He was much less influential, but that was by design from the Dutch and it was interesting to see him have to play a different type of game too.

He can’t be in two places at once. First receiver is not his brief in this team, especially with how the movement ahead of him if he doesn’t link is dire. It would be valid criticism if he was shirking on his own brief, but he’s the central hub, not the guy tasked with going so deep to collect. In fact, England have been using CB’s to progress the ball because Rice won’t do it.
Correct, he's playing more of a pure 8 role like Pedri for Spain. Most his good work is done when collecting in the middle third and carrying into the final third.

He can play both roles, but he can't do both roles. The final will be fascinating to compare your last point, because I see very similar midfield set ups. Rice / Rodri, Ruiz / Mainoo and Foden / Olmo as the direct comparisons. If England can play through the lines into Mainoo, Foden and Bellingham, they will get joy because the Spanish will not pack the midfield to the same extent the Dutch did.

However, Rice and Stones can't do that to the level that Rodri and Laporte will for Spain.

Correct, he's playing more of a pure 8 role like Pedri for Spain. Most his good work is done when collecting in the middle third and carrying into the final third.

He can play both roles, but he can't do both roles. The final will be fascinating to compare your last point, because I see very similar midfield set ups. Rice / Rodri, Ruiz / Mainoo and Foden / Olmo as the direct comparisons. If England can play through the lines into Mainoo, Foden and Bellingham, they will get joy because the Spanish will not pack the midfield to the same extent the Dutch did.

However, Rice and Stones can't do that to the level that Rodri and Laporte will for Spain.
And it’s a really big problem because you see the hesitancy etched through the team in regards to who will do what to initiate the build up - the whole offensive end of the team stand like statues because there’s nothing for them to do at that moment in time until at least the first phase is complete. Mainoo is where he’s supposed to be and comes alive every time the ball enters his area of the pitch. He also doesn’t have license to roam; that’s Bellingham’s brief, and Foden’s, to a lesser degree… and even Kane’s… as daft as the system is.

Hopefully United can bring in World Class Midfielders to play alongside him.

His game will elevate to another level if we do.

At the moment let's be honest it's not good enough. England's Midfield is better.

You're absolutely spot on. That's exactly how I see his role tactically in the current England team.

I'm just curious to see how our other young midfielders will develop in the coming seasons along with Mainoo. Players like Collyer, Fitzgerald, MacAllister along with AMs like Fletcher and Ibraghimov. I believe the midfield talent pool looks particularly strong at the club and it'll be interesting to see if one or two more midfielders can reach first team standards at the club.

You're absolutely spot on. That's exactly how I see his role tactically in the current England team.

I'm just curious to see how our other young midfielders will develop in the coming seasons along with Mainoo. Players like Collyer, Fitzgerald, MacAllister along with AMs like Fletcher and Ibraghimov. I believe the midfield talent pool looks particularly strong at the club and it'll be interesting to see if one or two more midfielders can reach first team standards at the club.
I’m still of the opinion Dan Gore has one of the highest ceilings at the club

I’m still of the opinion Dan Gore has one of the highest ceilings at the club
I completely forgot about him.

You're correct, it'll be interesting to see how he develops as well. There's also Jack Moorhouse who imo was the best midfielder at carrying the ball in the youth team, and he unfortunately has been very unlucky with injuries which has disrupted his development.

We play much slicker, intricate football in the unders, and so many more of those players are reared in a style of play the first team itself isn’t comfortable with - for the most part it won’t be technical competence that will determine how well these guys do, but rather their physical limitations and mentalities as well as positioning and being able to cope with the pace, strength/power, aggression and reduced processing/decision making time of the adult game.

I’m really hopeful that we get some players through, but I think if we really bolster the squad, they’re going to have to be exceptional to get a sniff.

Looking forward to preseason to see who looks ready to make the step up, if any. You fancy anyone to make the leap?

We play much slicker, intricate football in the unders, and so many more of those players are reared in a style of play the first team itself isn’t comfortable with - for the most part it won’t be technical competence that will determine how well these guys do, but rather their physical limitations and mentalities as well as positioning and being able to cope with the pace, strength/power, aggression and reduced processing/decision making time of the adult game.

I’m really hopeful that we get some players through, but I think if we really bolster the squad, they’re going to have to be exceptional to get a sniff.

Looking forward to preseason to see who looks ready to make the step up, if any. You fancy anyone to make the leap?
Agreed. The academy has a uniformed style of play where the teams from the under 18s down have been coached to play a proactive attacking and defensive style. It's taken a few years, but the mess David Gill left the academy in has been fixed to a large degree in comparison to the standards set at both City and Chelsea. The coaching, the scouting and all round modernisation of the academy is now of a much higher quality compared to how it was in 2013 imo.

I don't know what the club is looking to do with the midfield, but the player we've been linked with, isn't a disciplined holding midfielder in Ugarte. Ugarte is someone
who likes to chase the ball, but isn't a holding midfielder eventhough many seem to be convincing themselves that he is.

I'd say the one position where I think ten Hag will give a young player a opportunity is in the deeper midfield position as a potential sitting midfielder. And that player imo is going to be 20 year old Toby Collyer. Whether he will be of the requisite standards for the first team remains to be seen, but as far his profile is concerned, he fits the role of a deeper lying playmaker who is comfortable at receiving passes with his back to goal.

And it’s a really big problem because you see the hesitancy etched through the team in regards to who will do what to initiate the build up - the whole offensive end of the team stand like statues because there’s nothing for them to do at that moment in time until at least the first phase is complete. Mainoo is where he’s supposed to be and comes alive every time the ball enters his area of the pitch. He also doesn’t have license to roam; that’s Bellingham’s brief, and Foden’s, to a lesser degree… and even Kane’s… as daft as the system is.
Forgot to mention Pickford too. The Dutch didn't play that much, but Verbruggen was miles ahead in terms of some of the passes he played out from the back. Pickford would give you the jitters when the ball is at his feet.

Agreed. The academy has a uniformed style of play where the teams from the under 18s down have been coached to play a proactive attacking and defensive style. It's taken a few years, but the mess David Gill left the academy in has been fixed to a large degree in comparison to the standards set at both City and Chelsea. The coaching, the scouting and all round modernisation of the academy is now of a much higher quality compared to how it was in 2013 imo.

I don't know what the club is looking to do with the midfield, but the player we've been linked with, isn't a disciplined holding midfielder in Ugarte. Ugarte is someone
who likes to chase the ball, but isn't a holding midfielder eventhough many seem to be convincing themselves that he is.

I'd say the one position where I think ten Hag will give a young player a opportunity is in the deeper midfield position as a potential sitting midfielder. And that player imo is going to be 20 year old Toby Collyer. Whether he will be of the requisite standards for the first team remains to be seen, but as far his profile is concerned, he fits the role of a deeper lying playmaker who is comfortable at receiving passes with his back to goal.
He’s certainly the one with the most hype behind him currently. Would be fantastic for us if he is ready to contribute.

Gore, just mentioned, is probably the other who has a serious chance in terms of contention, for me. But it’s an exciting preseason just to see how much Gore has kicked on as well as seeing Collyer with the first team.

At the moment let's be honest it's not good enough. England's Midfield is better.

Onana would be a great partner IMO

He’s certainly the one with the most hype behind him currently. Would be fantastic for us if he is ready to contribute.

Gore, just mentioned, is probably the other who has a serious chance in terms of contention, for me. But it’s an exciting preseason just to see how much Gore has kicked on as well as seeing Collyer with the first team.
And apart from the midfielders we have some other really interesting young players who could make their mark over preseason. And Harry Amass is definitely one to look out for in that regard and I'm personally hoping to see Radek Vitek get a game in goal to see how he fares.

So it'll be interesting to see how things shape up in the next few weeks.

Nah the superiority complex is real - it’s been a golden generation of players for the past 2 decades!

The fans and the media like to speak big for a country which has one singular win in competitions which was almost 60 years ago.

I get some of it is tongue in cheek but there is a lot of deluded fans out there.
I don't think you understand what a golden generation means contextually

Nah the superiority complex is real - it’s been a golden generation of players for the past 2 decades!

The fans and the media like to speak big for a country which has one singular win in competitions which was almost 60 years ago.

I get some of it is tongue in cheek but there is a lot of deluded fans out there.

It's genuinely so funny when people don't understand sarcasm. It's actually funnier than when they do understand sarcasm.

For most of the last 30 years no one rates England teams and managers more harshly than England fans. It's coming home is a bloody song and now sometimes used as a joke because we know it seems to rile some people up for whatever reason.

It's genuinely so funny when people don't understand sarcasm. It's actually funnier than when they do understand sarcasm.

For most of the last 30 years no one rates England teams and managers more harshly than England fans. It's coming home is a bloody song and now sometimes used as a joke because we know it seems to rile some people up for whatever reason.

what’s funny is I have now had four separate posters trying to get their view across all mentioning the song, of which I didn’t mention once.

I am English, I live here so why you lot continue to speak to me as though I’m not god knows.

on forums the fans may well be a little more realistic in their views, in the pubs… certainly not.

what’s funny is I have now had four separate posters trying to get their view across all mentioning the song, of which I didn’t mention once.

I am English, I live here so why you lot continue to speak to me as though I’m not god knows.

on forums the fans may well be a little more realistic in their views, in the pubs… certainly not.

Yeah you say something silly and a lot of people will point it out. That's not a particularly unique phenomenon.

Because you talk about England fans with a similar derision as a lot of opposition fans.

If you're English and over the age of 25 and don't know that England fans are hyper critical of the national team then maybe you are talking to a few many people who are half cut. Not sure what to tell you. There is no superiority complex, if anything the opposite.

We really need to kick on and seriously challenge for titles. If not, surely he’ll be tempted by Madrid/Barca/Bayern etc sooner or later.

With the emergence of Mainoo, we might be closer to challenging than we think. Need a couple of our summer signings to hit the ground running and Shaw to remain fit.

and Mason Mount too. Casemiro and Eriksen need replacing soon.

It's quite unlikely Gore has kicked on at all given his injuries.

Meh, England's midfield has not been that great. They have their individual moments but they're quite disjointed a lot of the times. Bellingham becomes invisible for long periods. Rice blows hot and cold. Trent was not doing well in the group stages and got replaced. Gallagher is okay, but nothing special.

We don't need many midfielders tbh. What is obvious from the last few months is that Mainoo is not a #6, but he's at least an #8 if not a #10. He's a goal threat, he can dribble and he likes to be around the edge of the opponents box. Also ETH seems to want to play with one sitting #6 and two #8's. So Mainoo is competing for one of the two #8 spots in the starting XI along with Fernandes, Mount and McTominay. The latter is quite poor but he is 4th option and he's at least useful as an impact sub. The other are 3 very good players competing for 2 positions. That area doesn't need improvement.

All we need is a good sitting DM sorted, so we don't have rely on Casemiro being a starter. But if we sell Casemiro, then ok yes, we'll need two DMs. Though I somehow don't see that happening.