Jeremy Corbyn - Not Not Labour Party(?), not a Communist (BBC)

Polls mean nothing.

When the campaign starts, parties will have to run on policies.
Parties also have to run with or against perceptions formed in the previous few years, which is what polls imperfectly measure. Those who say polls don’t matter usually do so because the polls are not in their favour. If Corbyn was miles ahead, we wouldnt hear the end of it from the polls don’t matter crowd.

Point still stands. Labours house is burning down and they wanted to chop down the annoying tree in the garden.
How is Labours house burning down? You still got faith in your poll after their accuracy the last 2 elections?

Sensationalist rubbish. You should write for a tabloid, one with a bright name.

Parties also have to run with or against perceptions formed in the previous few years, which is what polls imperfectly measure. Those who say polls don’t matter usually do so because the polls are not in their favour. If Corbyn was miles ahead, we wouldnt hear the end of it from the polls don’t matter crowd.

Does Labour and Corbyn have problems?
Yes.

In any GE a party has to offer policies that help people.
Labour does that.
I am not aware of what the other parties offer. What do they offer that will change the predicament the country is in?

When the campaigning starts all this will become clear. Its not about winning. What after?

How can the course be changed?

That's your argument, not mine. I never said that.

The big problem here is that the fundamental USP that Corbyn was sold on was his honesty and respect for democracy ‘new politics’, a big part of that was a respect for the will of the membership, yet his brief tenure as leader of the Labour Party has only revealed him to be a duplicitous liar like the rest of them.

Last edited:
The big problem here is that the fundamental USP that Corbyn was sold on was his honesty and respect for democracy ‘new politics’, a big part of that was a respect for the will of the membership, yet his brief tenure as leader of the Labour Party has only revealed him to be a duplicitous liar like the rest of them.

It really hasn't, but it's reassuring to think that when you're voting for actual twats.

The big problem here is that you are making up arguments against points I never made. I merely pointed out the inaccuracies of polls over recent years.

As for your generalisations. You'll need to be a little bit more specific about these duplicitous lies?

Top tip: If you suspect an MP of that, a good way to check is looking at their voting record. I suggest you do that for Johnson, Swinson and Corbyn to start with.

Andrew Fisher (policy bloke) has apparently gone. Tasty conference so far.

Second referendum

A second referendum with some hypothetical new deal he's secured? No deal? May/Boris' deal? Will Labour be for Brexit or Remain?

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...use-jeremy-corbyn-shutting-down-brexit-debate

Also worrying for Labour, before a probable general election in which Brexit would be certain to dominate, the survey found that almost seven out of 10 voters (69%) now believe Corbyn’s policy on Brexit – to back a second referendum while not recommending either Leave or Remain – is unclear.

In contrast, well over half of voters think the Conservatives (58%), the Liberal Democrats (59%) and the Brexit party (70%) have clear Brexit policies. Opinium also found for the first time that Remain voters were now just as likely to vote for the Liberal Democrats as for Labour.

Last edited:
Pretty much this.

Corbyn is both the worst leader of all time and the only person who can save Britain. But this view shouldn't come as a surprise anymore, ask Corbyn critics whats he's doing wrong and what he should do instead and they'll give a Keano like respond - ''Strong Spine'', ''A real opposition leader'' ''Destroying the Tories'' etc etc. Completely meaningless slogans, that don't amount up to anything. Ask them what they would do if put in charge of the Labour Party and again slogans reappear(The left wing politics seem to disappear, funny that) and the Brexit crisis is magically fixed.

The ''moderates''(Basically Liberals) are done, they don't have a answer to well the problems they in part caused. The crash in 08 and the reaction to it ruined them with the electorate but more importantly it killed their political ideology(Turns out it wasn't the end of history after all). Even if they were to win elections, all they will and can do is to further the crisis we are in(How the feck do Dems voters think a Lib Dem would help the country ?). So all they have left is to defend neo liberalism at all cost, to view the world as a moralistic HBO show and to write bad opinion pieces in The Guardian.

Yeah...you'll know yourself I've been critical of Corbyn at times, but the reaction to this from Labour moderates determined to see themselves above politicking when it was basically what the Blair government was often lauded for is fairly silly. In a way I wonder if it's a group of people now perpetually out of power trying to reinvent themselves in a feel-good way - their tactics don't win them elections anymore and they know their ideas aren't particularly inventive or interesting, so instead they're appealing to the notion that they're civil and above it all. When it comes to actual politics there's just a general nothingness to them.

At least the Lib Dems can claim to be strong on Brexit...Labour figures like Watson are inherently undermined in their criticisms of Corbyn insofar as they're still in the party, thereby they're enabling and furthering the very leader they claim to hate by ensuring he has a larger group of MP's and making it easier for him to stay in power. Own Smith was slating him today...but the question has to be asked why he's in a political party whose leadership have a platform that's just utterly out of tune with his own.

There's an element of truth to that, but then at the same time surely his detractors should like this, insofar as one of their initial criticisms of him was that he wouldn't win power because he's soft and naive? Again, the issue here is that once that facade is increasingly taken away, it becomes clear that a lot of Corbyn's detractors don't like him because they don't think he's a "strong" leader - they dislike him because they fundamentally disagree with his policy platform.

Polls mean nothing.

When the campaign starts, parties will have to run on policies.

This would work as an argument if it weren't for the fact Labour fans here and on social media consistently use polls for their advantage when they're doing well in them. Not to mention the most common lament of the Lib Dems back in the day was how shite their polling was.

Corbyn will have to fight to remain coy and neutral. Don't think he gets away with it this time. I hope they sort it out. Go pro remain. Even if they lose, they lose honestly. This too clever for your boots facing both ways thing is tiresome now.

This would work as an argument if it weren't for the fact Labour fans here and on social media consistently use polls for their advantage when they're doing well in them. Not to mention the most common lament of the Lib Dems back in the day was how shite their polling was.

In forums polls are the yardstick so I can understand this.

For decades the country has been lied to. Brexit is merely the final lie.
It was never the solution.

The question that the parties need to answer is what they are going to do for working families so they do not go under.
That still leaves immigration. To stop/send back?

The reality is if everyone does not pull together, we are not going to get out of this quagmire.

When people get scared by the state of the country and current events, they want strong leaders with firm positions. A lot of people prefer to risk going the wrong direction as long as there is a clear direction. Corbyn’s ambiguous position is polling horribly. It couldn’t be any more clear that he’s fecking this up at this point.

There's an element of truth to that, but then at the same time surely his detractors should like this, insofar as one of their initial criticisms of him was that he wouldn't win power because he's soft and naive? Again, the issue here is that once that facade is increasingly taken away, it becomes clear that a lot of Corbyn's detractors don't like him because they don't think he's a "strong" leader - they dislike him because they fundamentally disagree with his policy platform.

How does him trying and failing to oust the democratically elected deputy leader make him look strong? Surely it makes him look a total hypocrite and weak?

The broader public see him as a weak leader, that’s his image problem in electability. His USP was the idea of a ‘new’ honest politics but his last manifesto was rated as dishonest by the IFS, he’s consistently lied about what deal he can get from the EU on Brexit and here he is now trying to ride roughshod over the will of the membership after Watson advocates for a Brexit Policy in line with the views of the membership.

How does this "deal and remain" actually happen?

Will this deal, or should I say WA need to be passed by parliament before going on a public vote?

I don't see there's any chance of the WA changing much, even more so when the EU know you're going to put a WA plus remain on a public vote.

If Labour can let the public decide instead of letting parliament vote it down then it is a defacto remain poll as I don't see the WA or WA plus any preliminary trade talks that may happen in such short amount of time getting much votes. EU have said they can't do any trade talks until you actually withdraw so it's the disliked WA and remain.

Last edited:
How is Labours house burning down? You still got faith in your poll after their accuracy the last 2 elections?

If the day after the election when the tories win again, you come on here in genuine astonishment saying “I really didn’t see that coming”, don’t be surprised if you get laughed at.

I'm not fully clued up on all things Labour. What’s the actual purpose of a party Deputy Leader? Other parties make do without one.

I think the timing and manner of trying to remove Watson is damaging but I can understand that it makes no sense to have a front bencher who seems to disagree with and undermine the leadership so often. He should be free to do that, but from the back benches. The comparisons with Johnson removing the whip from 21 members are a bit absurd.

In other news, good to see Labour support the Lib Dem policy of scrapping Ofsted. Onwards and upwards.

If the day after the election when the tories win again, you come on here in genuine astonishment saying “I really didn’t see that coming”, don’t be surprised if you get laughed at.
Again, no detail and you're not anwsering the question, just arrogance.

I can guess which party you align with. :D

Again, no detail and you're not anwsering the question, just arrogance.

I can guess which party you align with. :D

You are denying the evidence from polling for starters. I haven’t even mentioned how Corbyn polls but it’s even worse than the Labour Party. When the leader polls even worse than the historical lows for his party, then I’m entitled to say thats a serious problem. And I’m not being arrogant, I'm being frustrated and angry that labour won’t do anything about it. I’ll have to sit here for another five years listing to the opposition whinge on about the evil tories while being too useless to do anything about it. I think labour and many of its supporters prefer to whinge about the tories than actually do what’s necessary to kick them out.

Sorry, rant over. Tired of labour supporters denial.

BTW I don’t align with any party, I will vote anti brexit tactically at the election.

I'm not fully clued up on all things Labour. What’s the actual purpose of a party Deputy Leader? Other parties make do without one.

I think the timing and manner of trying to remove Watson is damaging but I can understand that it makes no sense to have a front bencher who seems to disagree with and undermine the leadership so often. He should be free to do that, but from the back benches. The comparisons with Johnson removing the whip from 21 members are a bit absurd.

In other news, good to see Labour support the Lib Dem policy of scrapping Ofsted. Onwards and upwards.

I’m a parent. Don’t have a problem with ofsted. Not sure this will be a popular policy with anyone other than teachers and failing schools.

Andrew Fisher (policy bloke) has apparently gone. Tasty conference so far.
Tasty conference indeed
Statement from Jewish labour movement

Time and again, the Party leadership and the NEC have demonstrated a complete failure in both judgement and commitment to tackle antisemitism. With a statutory investigation by the Equalities and Human Rights Commission well underway, this is the latest example of institutional failing.

We have learnt tonight from press reports that the Party wishes to make sweeping changes to the disciplinary rules on antisemitism, without consulting us, its only Jewish affiliate, or any communal organisation. To add insult to injury, they will debate these changes at conference on the Jewish Sabbath, when religiously observant Jewish Labour delegates will be silenced, unable to participate in the debate.

The Jewish community has zero confidence that proposals to hand the NEC more powers on disciplinary matters will solve this crisis. There have been countless examples of NEC members either engaging in antisemitism or turning a blind eye to it. It will simply streamline the process of letting antisemites off the hook.

SxCzzdKsdRydkLD-800x450-noPad.jpg

I’m a parent. Don’t have a problem with ofsted. Not sure this will be a popular policy with anyone other than teachers and failing schools.

Surely as a parent you'd want Ofsted replaced with a system that actually could provide you with better information about whether your children's school is providing them with the teaching they need?

Surely as a parent you'd want Ofsted replaced with a system that actually could provide you with better information about whether your children's school is providing them with the teaching they need?

As a parent (and husband to a teacher) I wasn’t aware the current system was so broken it needed scrapping.
I’m not unhappy with the information available. My main issue with ofstead was inspection frequency sometimes is too low.

Yeah...you'll know yourself I've been critical of Corbyn at times, but the reaction to this from Labour moderates determined to see themselves above politicking when it was basically what the Blair government was often lauded for is fairly silly. In a way I wonder if it's a group of people now perpetually out of power trying to reinvent themselves in a feel-good way - their tactics don't win them elections anymore and they know their ideas aren't particularly inventive or interesting, so instead they're appealing to the notion that they're civil and above it all. When it comes to actual politics there's just a general nothingness to them.

At least the Lib Dems can claim to be strong on Brexit...Labour figures like Watson are inherently undermined in their criticisms of Corbyn insofar as they're still in the party, thereby they're enabling and furthering the very leader they claim to hate by ensuring he has a larger group of MP's and making it easier for him to stay in power. Own Smith was slating him today...but the question has to be asked why he's in a political party whose leadership have a platform that's just utterly out of tune with his own.
Yep and the circle continues over and over.

This is what Tom Watson and other really want, to be treated a bit like C list celebrity.

Looking at the New Labour era, with its love in shite for like Brit Pop, the fixation with the 2012 olympics opening ceremony and really the fact they've pissed off to host podcasts, appearing on BBC reality shows, setting up foundations set up in their name etc, shows that the core idea of the New Labour Project was politics is show business for ugly people.

Last edited:
How does this "deal and remain" actually happen?

Will this deal, or should I say WA need to be passed by parliament before going on a public vote?

I don't see there's any chance of the WA changing much, even more so when the EU know you're going to put a WA plus remain on a public vote.

If Labour can let the public decide instead of letting parliament vote it down then it is a defacto remain poll as I don't see the WA or WA plus any preliminary trade talks that may happen in such short amount of time getting much votes. EU have said they can't do any trade talks until you actually withdraw so it's the disliked WA and remain.

It would need to be passed by parliament but the very simple point a lot of people in here are missing is remain might not win a referendum. In that case should the left have tried for a less damaging version of Brexit or not? Surely the answer is a resounding yes but i look forward to hearing why not.