Jeremy Corbyn - Not Not Labour Party(?), not a Communist (BBC)

Tbf neither has lost a general election so perhaps to the general public they would have been more electable?
Trying to remember the last person to loose the first general election they lead the party in and subsequently went on to win one?...
Oh absolutely. The wider public will eat up a campaign led by someone so desperate to take the paltry money disabled people have from them she dreamt up assessments using imaginary wheelchairs or a bloke who covered up Britain's involvement in extraordinary rendition.

But, you know, Corbyn's 'personal negativity' and all that.

Just out of interest who ?

I've generally subscribed to this argument in the past because the party as a whole is an absolute state bereft of genuine political talent but I'm increasingly unsure as to whether it's a particularly legitimate defence if he's deemed as doing a bad job. When a football team is failing and needs a clear change of management, it's not particularly common for the argument that no one better is available to be invoked, because it's ultimately just not that strong of an argument. Ultimately Corbyn isn't doing overly well and hasn't been doing well for a while. Whether anyone better is available seems increasingly besides the point.

Thornberry? Starmer?
Think they are the bookies 2 favourites to be next leader and both don't seem to carry the personal negativity Corbyn brings with him
I image you might be right about not having the same negativity as Corbyn but Starmer would be framed as wanting to "stop the will of the people" and we've all forgotten that Thornberry had that massive gaff with the white van man England flag thing.

I'm all ears to hearing alternatives to Corbyn but this labour would be 20 points ahead stuff is nonsense.

Although I will also add that literally anyone would be better than David Miliband.

I image you might be right about not having the same negativity as Corbyn but Starmer would be framed as wanting to "stop the will of the people" and we've all forgotten that Thornberry had that massive gaff with the white van man England flag thing.

I'm all ears to hearing alternatives to Corbyn but this labour would be 20 points ahead stuff is nonsense.

If we've all forgotten, might not be too big a problem.

If we've all forgotten, might not be too big a problem.
It will be just get repeated during the next election, plus whatever other shite the press throw at them. But the main differences is that MP's like Stamer and Thornberry don't same have politics as Corbyn, which means they wouldn't take the same sorts of risks as Corbyn did during the last election such as

Mass membership who go out for hours campaigning and door knocking.

A openly class based politics

Going on stage without any idea how people will react to him

Putting show much weight into social media

Responding to a terrorist attacks with a speech about the UK foreign policy

For better or worse to keep talking about domestic issues and not Brexit.

Not listening to the Labour PLP or listening to what the guardian says

And something basic as using the Shelly quote

All of this was possible because of Corbyn Bennite politics. Stamer and Thornberry would run a campaign similar to Ed Milband with possible less bigotry.

Oh absolutely. The wider public will eat up a campaign led by someone so desperate to take the paltry money disabled people have from them she dreamt up assessments using imaginary wheelchairs or a bloke who covered up Britain's involvement in extraordinary rendition.

But, you know, Corbyn's 'personal negativity' and all that.
Tbf they voted in the conservatives so yeah probably they don't mind do they

It will be just get repeated during the next election, plus whatever other shite the press throw at them. But the main differences is that MP's like Stamer and Thornberry don't same have politics as Corbyn, which means they wouldn't take the same sorts of risks as Corbyn did during the last election such as

All of this was possible because of Corbyn Bennite politics. Stamer and Thornberry would run a campaign similar to Ed Milband with possible less bigotry.

You're making a lot of assumptions there. I suspect any leader even remotely worth their salt would be aware of how important social media is and would therefore seek to continue emphasising it. Domestic issues are intrinsically tied to Brexit - if Brexit is a disaster then it will have an impact on the NHS and other aspects of the economy which need government funding. This is something that any leader who isn't operating on pure fantasy will obviously want to talk about, unless Brexit has somehow been resolved satisfactorily by then.

I'm largely sympathetic to Corbyn's politics (even if I don't vote Labour) but ultimately at the moment his personal polling figures are dreadful and the party hasn't been able to establish a consistent lead over the government in the polls, which is basic, basic stuff an opposition party needs to be doing. He's been tone deaf on Brexit which is undoubtedly the biggest issue the country faces at the moment, however much he'd like it not to be.

All of the stuff you're saying that was possible above seems fairly irrelevant in light of the fact that...he's not actually the PM! And based on current projections, he probably isn't going to be. Starmer and Thornberry might not be perfect but they've demonstrated some level of loyalty (even if only for self-gain) to Corbyn and would therefore potentially have widespread appeal within the party. Their politics probably therefore align more closely to his than, say, a Blair or David Miliband type figure. And with pressure from within the party you'd think they'd be more willing to make feints to the left.

And it might not be perfect, but as it stands Corbyn isn't going to become PM anyway. He's deeply unpopular, and has been for a lot of his tenure. He's largely struggled to sustain the momentum he built up in 2017 and as it stands I struggle to see him regaining it.

That will be up to the hundreds of thousands of Labour's new members, when they can't turn a blind eye to how useless Corbyn is any longer, and it will be someone else from left. It needs a leftist to answer that one.

To be fair, struggling to see who else will take over from the left of the party. Unless someone young emerges suddenly.

You're making a lot of assumptions there. I suspect any leader even remotely worth their salt would be aware of how important social media is and would therefore seek to continue emphasising it. Domestic issues are intrinsically tied to Brexit - if Brexit is a disaster then it will have an impact on the NHS and other aspects of the economy which need government funding. This is something that any leader who isn't operating on pure fantasy will obviously want to talk about, unless Brexit has somehow been resolved satisfactorily by then.

I'm largely sympathetic to Corbyn's politics (even if I don't vote Labour) but ultimately at the moment his personal polling figures are dreadful and the party hasn't been able to establish a consistent lead over the government in the polls, which is basic, basic stuff an opposition party needs to be doing. He's been tone deaf on Brexit which is undoubtedly the biggest issue the country faces at the moment, however much he'd like it not to be.

All of the stuff you're saying that was possible above seems fairly irrelevant in light of the fact that...he's not actually the PM! And based on current projections, he probably isn't going to be. Starmer and Thornberry might not be perfect but they've demonstrated some level of loyalty (even if only for self-gain) to Corbyn and would therefore potentially have widespread appeal within the party. Their politics probably therefore align more closely to his than, say, a Blair or David Miliband type figure. And with pressure from within the party you'd think they'd be more willing to make feints to the left.

And it might not be perfect, but as it stands Corbyn isn't going to become PM anyway. He's deeply unpopular, and has been for a lot of his tenure. He's largely struggled to sustain the momentum he built up in 2017 and as it stands I struggle to see him regaining it.

This is the kind of take that isn't going to age well.

I don't agree that Brexit is the biggest issue facing the country… but given your own analysis, isn't it bizarre to think the fundamentals of Corbyn's popularity are fixed 50 days before it occurs?

To be fair, struggling to see who else will take over from the left of the party. Unless someone young emerges suddenly.
It's hard, but it's in Momentum's own interest to find someone, if they want power. As a centrist I'd go for Umunna or Cooper, but neither of them has any chance of winning given the changes in party membership. It will be someone well to the left of them.

When a football team is failing and needs a clear change of management, it's not particularly common for the argument that no one better is available to be invoked, because it's ultimately just not that strong of an argument. Ultimately Corbyn isn't doing overly well and hasn't been doing well for a while. Whether anyone better is available seems increasingly besides the point.

This isn't football, it's politics. Everytime a new poll comes out and the tories are leading labour don't lose 3 points

And based on current projections, he probably isn't going to be. Starmer and Thornberry might not be perfect but they've demonstrated some level of loyalty (even if only for self-gain) to Corbyn and would therefore potentially have widespread appeal within the party. Their politics probably therefore align more closely to his than, say, a Blair or David Miliband type figure. And with pressure from within the party you'd think they'd be more willing to make feints to the left.

Er...You're making a lot of assumptions there. ;)

The only way we can really judge Corbyn is by how Labour are standing at the end of election night, I said on here that I thought Corbyn was doing a crap job before the last election and in the end he more than surprised me and the labour membership thought he should basically have another go. Will they think this after the next election is something we will have to wait and see but that is realistically the next time the leader of the Labour Party could change.

Sort of why I think polling before is useless or at least not good enough reasoning to replace Corbyn (Plus we know Labour can make up massive ground in a general election)

I'm largely sympathetic to Corbyn's politics (even if I don't vote Labour)
Ah come on Chessy your still not into that boring nationalism stuff are you ? The bearded one said workers of the world unite.

He actually had a far more interesting take on nationalism but it's doesn't sounds as goo.

Last edited:

Mass membership who go out for hours campaigning and door knocking.

A openly class based politics

Are you implying that a different Labour leader would;
- Not use social media.
- Not mobilise the party’s membership.

And that you think it’s a bad thing that they would not;
- Ignore the PLP.
- Pretend that Brexit isn’t an issue.

?

Last edited:
Blair stands out a bit.
Cameron's is interesting as well. Taken in the middle of Brown's election-that-never-was honeymoon, right before Northern Rock. Bloody events.

Cameron's is interesting as well. Taken in the middle of Brown's election-that-never-was honeymoon, right before Northern Rock. Bloody events.
Yes, I hadn't noticed that. If only. Brown wasn't likeable as a person for some reason, but I preferred him to most. I would imagine Thatcher's rating would have been a great deal lower when in power than in opposition, just before the Falklands.

- Not use social media
The labour people were are talking about I don't think would use social media in the same way, maybe I put it across badly but I'm not just talking about a few tweets here and there but election campaigning in general.Let's not forget the Labour Party has gone from standing newer to giant racist rock to taking about politics in a football stadium.

- Not mobilise the party’s membership.

And that you think it’s a bad thing that they would not;
- Ignore the PLP.
To mobilise the mass membership means ignoring the PLP, you can't do both. If the last few years have shown us anything its that the relationship of the membership and the PLP is really a power battle between the two groups over who has the right to run the party. If the PLP had their way in 2015 or 2016 we wouldn't even have a mass membership party(PLP have tried their best to make the membership as small as possible)

- Pretend that Brexit isn’t an issue.

I think it's a good campaign strategy due to the problem labour has with having both remain and leave voters(Also the country as a whole has no idea what they want)but it's clearly not good in the long term.

Yes, I hadn't noticed that. If only. Brown wasn't likeable as a person for some reason, but I preferred him to most.
I liked that when he was talking to that stupid old bigoted women he was also think the exactly same thing as me. Shame he went back a apologise though.

This isn't football, it's politics. Everytime a new poll comes out and the tories are leading labour don't lose 3 points

Er...You're making a lot of assumptions there. ;)

The only way we can really judge Corbyn is by how Labour are standing at the end of election night, I said on here that I thought Corbyn was doing a crap job before the last election and in the end he more than surprised me and the labour membership thought he should basically have another go. Will they think this after the next election is something we will have to wait and see but that is realistically the next time the leader of the Labour Party could change.

Sort of why I think polling before is useless or at least not good enough reasoning to replace Corbyn (Plus we know Labour can make up massive ground in a general election)

Ah come on Chessy your still not into that boring nationalism stuff are you ? The bearded one said workers of the world unite.

Well...yeah, but if Labour lose again then that's another half-decade they've got to wait until they get another shot at winning an election. When going into an election they need to be doing all they can to maximise their chances of actually winning. Going into one with a leader who can't mount consistent polls leads and who is deeply, deeply unpopular is literally doing the exact opposite of that.

For what it's worth, I do think there's an annoying tendency for people to cling onto every single poll that comes out as representative of whatever grand narrative they themselves support. And there should be a recognition that even electable leaders will go through phases where they aren't well-liked for whatever reason. But that's different to when an opposition leader consistently fails to mount substantial polling leads, which is generally, like, a basic prerequisite for any opposition party who wants to come into power. And similarly, any opposition leader coming into power is generally going to want to have fairly strong popularity ratings. Corbyn...doesn't. And to point that out isn't being overly-dependent on polling, it's just stating basic facts which highlight he isn't doing well and that his current approach isn't working. If you're heading into an election, you generally want to do all you can to minimise your chances of defeat.

He did well in 2017 to claw back from almost certain defeat, but that was then. There's no guarantee he'd be able to do so again. I reckon Brexit's soured a lot of people on him to an extent that'll be hard to recover. He's generally a strong campaigner but there's a possibility he's largely maxed out his potential voting base and that he's not been able to successfully expand it at all. And for as much as they remain in disarray the Tories will struggle to run a campaign as bad as the last one. And some of Corbyn's lines of attack may struggle to be successful because he's literally been supporting the process which they've cocked up more than anything else in the last couple of years.

And on that last point - I wouldn't even class myself as a nationalist!:lol:

Just generally prefer the SNP's base level of competence which Scottish Labour have typically lacked, and believe we're too better off as an independent country. It's sort of hard to explain if you're not in Scotland how shite Labour have been - and continue to be - up here.

I partly jest - just think there's a really annoying narrative which eulogises David as this grand, magnificent leader the country never had, as opposed to a fairly bland and boring bloke who probably wouldn't have done all that much better than his brother.

I partly jest - just think there's a really annoying narrative which eulogises David as this grand, magnificent leader the country never had, as opposed to a fairly bland and boring bloke who probably wouldn't have done all that much better than his brother.
Being complicit in torture is many things, bland and boring it certainly isn't. If anything, boring would be a vast improvement.

Well...yeah, but if Labour lose again then that's another half-decade they've got to wait until they get another shot at winning an election. When going into an election they need to be doing all they can to maximise their chances of actually winning. Going into one with a leader who can't mount consistent polls leads and who is deeply, deeply unpopular is literally doing the exact opposite of that.

For what it's worth, I do think there's an annoying tendency for people to cling onto every single poll that comes out as representative of whatever grand narrative they themselves support. And there should be a recognition that even electable leaders will go through phases where they aren't well-liked for whatever reason. But that's different to when an opposition leader consistently fails to mount substantial polling leads, which is generally, like, a basic prerequisite for any opposition party who wants to come into power. And similarly, any opposition leader coming into power is generally going to want to have fairly strong popularity ratings. Corbyn...doesn't. And to point that out isn't being overly-dependent on polling, it's just stating basic facts which highlight he isn't doing well and that his current approach isn't working. If you're heading into an election, you generally want to do all you can to minimise your chances of defeat.

He did well in 2017 to claw back from almost certain defeat, but that was then. There's no guarantee he'd be able to do so again. I reckon Brexit's soured a lot of people on him to an extent that'll be hard to recover. He's generally a strong campaigner but there's a possibility he's largely maxed out his potential voting base and that he's not been able to successfully expand it at all. And for as much as they remain in disarray the Tories will struggle to run a campaign as bad as the last one. And some of Corbyn's lines of attack may struggle to be successful because he's literally been supporting the process which they've cocked up more than anything else in the last couple of years.

And on that last point - I wouldn't even class myself as a nationalist!:lol:

Just generally prefer the SNP's base level of competence which Scottish Labour have typically lacked, and believe we're too better off as an independent country. It's sort of hard to explain if you're not in Scotland how shite Labour have been - and continue to be - up here.

Theres also the very real possibility he could be dead before he got chance to fight another election.

He has 2 more years minimum before the next, which pegs him at 71, if he loses that he wouldnt get another shot till he was 76.

Lets be honest, its bizzarre enough him still being at the head of a major party at 69, hes got no chance if he loses the next election.

Theres also the very real possibility he could be dead before he got chance to fight another election.

He has 2 more years minimum before the next, which pegs him at 71, if he loses that he wouldnt get another shot till he was 76.

Lets be honest, its bizzarre enough him still being at the head of a major party at 69, hes got no chance if he loses the next election.

Christ, bit morbid.:lol:

I reckon he'll be fine. The US is littered with Presidential candidates much older than him and he seems to be in reasonably good health, all things considered.

If he loses another election then he'll be out. Anyone advocating for him to keep on after that point will have lost all footing.

I am really at a loss as to why anyone Thinks Corbyn can win an election or that he should even be leading the Labour Party into one .

All he is doing is giving us 5 more years of the tories . The man is an idiot he has got nothing to offer .

They've gone all in with the "his dick is too big" attack
My favourite one although it's not related to Corbyn was had Bernie won the primary the republicans were ready to attack him for stealing electricity when he lived in a apartment in his mid 20s. I'm sure it would have totally alienated him from his millennials voter base.

His ex wife has written a book which by complete accident makes him sound amazing. Apparently he used to piss off her and her mates when they on holiday by referring to anything he hated as "capitalist".
So what I’m getting from the last few posts is he’s a dull, old, unpopular man. Just the sort of person you want leading your party during an election.

I am really at a loss as to why anyone Thinks Corbyn can win an election or that he should even be leading the Labour Party into one .

All he is doing is giving us 5 more years of the tories . The man is an idiot he has got nothing to offer .
Tom Bower, is that you?

Although I will also add that literally anyone would be better than David Miliband.

Interesting. Why would that be.
I had the opposite view. I thought he was extremely clever and was a clear thinker.
Completely different to his far less intelligent brother.