2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Don’t think he wants to leave. Why would you if you were him? He will never play for a big club again
Tell him, that he isn't going to play a big deal of games as soon as everybody is fit. For all the talk about his great character on here, I think we at least can assume that he will go for regular gametime. Not like other clubs wouldn't be able to pay him 120-140k.

I know being over ruthless isn't great and all and I certainly wouldn't force him - but we have to take opportunities when they are there. A bit like with McTom. When their stock is high but they don't have a place in your 1st eleven and future plans, sell them to bring in players who at least have the potential to be in those two categories. The mentality of "I forgot the the whole time span but he did well in the last 5 games" is fine for fans but the club has to be more ruthless.

yes. I know it ain't pretty, but CB depth and quality is extremely important and after the Maguire/Lindelof years, it takes time and money to get there. Yoro and de Ligt at RCB and Martinez at LCB is already a great foundation, but I think you add one more young LCB to that group and you're set up extremely well for the next few years. Personally I'd go for Jorrel Hato from Ajax.
Like the RW spot which is set for the next 7 years due to Sancho, right? Such thinking never really works out. On top of that, there is no indication that we are competing this year so wasting an opportunity (providing there is one) of cashing in on an older player that certainly isn't part of the future is not a good idea. Same as that we should aspire to at least secure a squad area for a certain time when we adress them in a transfer window. United is already infamous at that given that we spend the best part of 200 million on RW only to end up having not one established player there.

Then we cross that bridge when we get there. He has done well over the last 12 months or so and when he was called upon in ETH's first season he was solid. It's not criminal to have quality in depth and remember that one of our big issues has been the disparity between the starters and our squad options.

We have pretty much paid off his transfer fee, his wage though high is not as crippling as that of serial nonperformers stealing a living here and he is not disruptive, even when he faces over the top criticism. Nah, he is one to keep.

But the club could easily get £20m for him and save £17, 680, 000 in wages for the remainder of his contract. That is a lot of money for a 31 year old that is not exactly spectacular.

Like the RW spot which is set for the next 7 years due to Sancho, right? Such thinking never really works out. On top of that, there is no indication that we are competing this year so wasting an opportunity (providing there is one) of cashing in on an older player that certainly isn't part of the future is not a good idea. Same as that we should aspire to at least secure a squad area for a certain time when we adress them in a transfer window. United is already infamous at that given that we spend the best part of 200 million on RW only to end up having not one established player there.
obviously, there's no guarantees. But what's the alternative? Lindelof has one year left on the contract, he's either gone this month or next summer. Maguire is 31 and has two years left (if we activate the +1, which we'll surely do), he won't be around for much longer either, unless we renew his contract. Evans is 36. And as far as I can tell, there's no CB in the academy that could realistically make the jump within the next one or two years. Signing another CB next summer just feels inevitable.

Splashing a lot of money on the position is not ideal, but we're far from the only club here. Look at Bayern, they are often thought of as a well-run club on here for some odd reason, yet they've been splashing a ton of cash on CBs for how many years now? They've signed some amazing duds for huge fees and they are still nowhere close to where they want their backline to be.

But the club could easily get £20m for him and save £17, 680, 000 in wages for the remainder of his contract. That is a lot of money for a 31 year old that is not exactly spectacular.
Even we were to get a £20m offer he is still going to want compensation for a differential in wages, we are still going to need to pay a fee and wages for a replacement.

Maguire won’t be offered a new deal. He’s a very good fourth choice centre back for the season ahead, but I think the plan will be to move him on and bring in a player like Branthwaite to replace him.

The days of extending contracts of 32 year olds are over under INEOS.
That’s ok if you’ve got 70m sitting around. We’ve invested heavily in centre backs with Martinez, De Ligt and Yoro, and probably need to turn our attention to other areas. No harm in retaining Maguire on reduced wages as back up while we do so.

Tell him, that he isn't going to play a big deal of games as soon as everybody is fit. For all the talk about his great character on here, I think we at least can assume that he will go for regular gametime. Not like other clubs wouldn't be able to pay him 120-140k.

I know being over ruthless isn't great and all and I certainly wouldn't force him - but we have to take opportunities when they are there. A bit like with McTom. When their stock is high but they don't have a place in your 1st eleven and future plans, sell them to bring in players who at least have the potential to be in those two categories. The mentality of "I forgot the the whole time span but he did well in the last 5 games" is fine for fans but the club has to be more ruthless.
He stayed last season and this season knowing he wasn't first choice. We already have three top class CBs plus Evans and himself, what more do we need? Maybe next season, funds permitting, we spend £40m on a young LCB who can also play LB. Let's not underestimate the importance of a player who is always ready to step in during a crisis and deliver.

He’s never relied on pace since he hasn’t got any, I can see him maintaining his level into his mid 30s no problem. He’s also hardly injured. I think all we’d have to do is match the terms being offered by other clubs, which shouldn’t be hard.

Right. So after a summer where we spent 100 million on a 18 year old and a 24 year old, invest some more next year.

It is amazing what a few good results can do in terms of recency bias. I also thought, he played rather well in the last month but we also know he isn't the future so take the chance and sell him when his stock is high.

Maguire is on 190k a week and is on 1 year left in his contract. He can easily fetch a deal elsewhere that will be as good if not better then what he currently have. Why on earth would he want to stay at United for a lower salary to be our 4th choice CB? Also what sort of salary cut will you think he'll accept? Would a 60k cut be too extreme? Well that puts him at par to the likes of Martinez and Califiori. What about we cut it at 50%. That's around what Colwell is paid at Chelsea (100k). What if pay him like Joe Gomez is paid? Well he's on 85k a week. But we're talking of a 4th choice CB here whose on the wane, so let's say we give him the same salary Guehi is currently paid? Guehi is paid 50k a week while Jarrad Branthwaite is on 35k a week Both players would compete for a United 1st team squad which is way above to a 4th choice CB's 'pay grade'

Some people seem to ignore how ridiculous Maguire's salary is. Do you know how many players have more salary to Maguire at Liverpool? Two, Juventus? ONE. Spurs highest paid player is at par to Maguire while Milan has no one. Even clubs who has a gung ho attitude on salary such as Chelsea have just 6 players above the 190k mark and they'll working like mad to get rid of Lukaku and Chilwell. Yet somehow we believe that we can afford giving 190k (or a slight reduction) to a 4th choice CB. Not only that but if he accepts a slight pay cut then we can throw a 32 year old CB a 3 year contract. He might have struggled like 2 seasons ago when he was supposed to be in his prime but what the heck. Maguire is like fine wine and he'll be like prime Rio by the time he hits 35 year old!

Seriously there are two type of 4th choice CBs ie either a youngster with some serious talent which will be paid around or the experienced CB such as Evans is. Either case there are many players capable to do the job (or even excel) on a 20k-70k a week.

obviously, there's no guarantees. But what's the alternative? Lindelof has one year left on the contract, he's either gone this month or next summer. Maguire is 31 and has two years left (if we activate the +1, which we'll surely do), he won't be around for much longer either, unless we renew his contract. Evans is 36. And as far as I can tell, there's no CB in the academy that could realistically make the jump within the next one or two years. Signing another CB next summer just feels inevitable.
The difference is that Lindelof, when sold, will fetch 10 million max while Maguire might be able to bring in double than that. I literally don't care whether Maguire or Lindelof or both are leaving. I'd rather play a youngling there as 5th option. Shaw and Casemiro are also candidates in case of need. When Evans leaves we have to bring in somebody new, but given that De Ligt and Yoro are quite young and Martinez is also around, that doesn't need to be a young and upcoming player, could also be a free agent, a veteran player or a loanee. I see your points but I'd rather gut that bloated squad. Especially in a season where nobody expects us to push anything.

Splashing a lot of money on the position is not ideal, but we're far from the only club here. Look at Bayern, they are often thought of as a well-run club on here for some odd reason, yet they've been splashing a ton of cash on CBs for how many years now? They've signed some amazing duds for huge fees and they are still nowhere close to where they want their backline to be.
Bayern isn't as efficient in the last few years, that is true. But all their signings made some sense, they fell through by bad luck or whatever. De Ligt was at least as promising when he was brought to Bayern as he is now, KMJ was a United fan favorite for some time. So in terms of transfers, they were good transfers, but even the best might not turn out successes. And as you chosen Bayern - they are selling one of their valuable assets because cash is more in need for them than the actual player. That is a good parallel to us with Lindelof and Maguire - even though you'd say that those aren't as valuable to us than De Ligt was for Bayern.

He can easily fetch a deal elsewhere that will be as good if not better then what he currently have.
Some people seem to ignore how ridiculous Maguire's salary is.

Which is it then? Because if he’s on such ridiculous money, why would other clubs be queuing up to offer him the same terms?

If another club wants to offer him 190k then by all means, shake his hand and move on. But if he wants to take a wage cut and stick around as back up, I think we could do a lot worse.

This has been the case for 2 years. He still wanted to stay. He's not going anywhere. There is a year left. If we can get a fee for him - great. Likely we won't as a 4th choice he is more than adequate.

Maguire is on 190k a week and is on 1 year left in his contract. He can easily fetch a deal elsewhere that will be as good if not better then what he currently have. Why on earth would he want to stay at United for a lower salary to be our 4th choice CB? Also what sort of salary cut will you think he'll accept? Would a 60k cut be too extreme? Well that puts him at par to the likes of Martinez and Califiori. What about we cut it at 50%. That's around what Colwell is paid at Chelsea (100k). What if pay him like Joe Gomez is paid? Well he's on 85k a week. But we're talking of a 4th choice CB here whose on the wane, so let's say we give him the same salary Guehi is currently paid? Guehi is paid 50k a week while Jarrad Branthwaite is on 35k a week Both players would compete for a United 1st team squad which is way above to a 4th choice CB's 'pay grade'

Some people seem to ignore how ridiculous Maguire's salary is. Do you know how many players have more salary to Maguire at Liverpool? Two, Juventus? ONE. Spurs highest paid player is at par to Maguire while Milan has no one. Even clubs who has a gung ho attitude on salary such as Chelsea have just 6 players above the 190k mark and they'll working like mad to get rid of Lukaku and Chilwell. Yet somehow we believe that we can afford giving 190k (or a slight reduction) to a 4th choice CB. Not only that but if he accepts a slight pay cut then we can throw a 32 year old CB a 3 year contract. He might have struggled like 2 seasons ago when he was supposed to be in his prime but what the heck. Maguire is like fine wine and he'll be like prime Rio by the time he hits 35 year old!

Seriously there are two type of 4th choice CBs ie either a youngster with some serious talent which will be paid around or the experienced CB such as Evans is. Either case there are many players capable to do the job (or even excel) on a 20k-70k a week.
You will never make sense to people in here..

As said it earlier

We pay top dollar to get average and mediocre returns. Not against Maguire but the aspect of the club paying absolute top premium in salaries while what we get in return is top 4 in return is absolutely dogshit.

We pay players like Sancho, Maguire, Bruno, Rashford etc top dollar yet these chaps have never won anything of substance in their lives. Never been involved in any title challenges in their careers, never played in champions league semifinals but in more ways than one we dish out money to them as if they are football royalty.

De Gea, Varane, these are players who were on massive salaries, yet when they left United no big club touched them and they didn't receive the big salary they had few months prior to leaving. That's should show you, that it was massively a mistake 1st in paying the salary they got, 2nd they were not that good to warrant those hefty salaries.

Sickening really... Our RoI in players salary is shocking. We get absolutely nothing in return in paying 200k a week to these players.

Has to be said that very very few players could have withstood the barrage of criticism that he got over the past few years, with a lot of it being personal, and be as professional as he has been and put a performance in like that.

He’ll never live up to his price tag, but his mentality is unquestionable.

Good game. Hope it's his last season here. The money we spent on him was absolutely fecking ludicrous.

Which is it then? Because if he’s on such ridiculous money, why would other clubs be queuing up to offer him the same terms?

If another club wants to offer him 190k then by all means, shake his hand and move on. But if he wants to take a wage cut and stick around as back up, I think we could do a lot worse.

I left that on purpose, I am glad someone stumbled in it. First of all I never said that teams would be queuing to get him. So let's have that out of the way. Now let's see things from a United POV. We'll be having a 190k a week player whose on the wane as our 4th choice CB. Not only that's financially unfeasible but it also means that first teamers will actually be queuing (and now I am using it myself) at the Ashworth's office to demand a similar if not a higher salary to what our 4th choice CB has. Currently INEOS can argue that the guys who did the previous dealings were morons. I am sure that the likes of Martinez have met Murtough and Woodward for enough time to sympathize with that. But this will be a contract extension which will be made by INEOS people. So under such circumstances they can't hide behind that excuse anymore.

But let's flip the page now and let's say West Ham goes for Maguire as a free agent. West Ham's highest paid player is Paqueta on 150k a week. Therefore Maguire would be their highest paid player. But that doesn't matter as the benefits outweigh the losses. First of all a West Ham would struggle to attract a player of the calibre of Maguire. That has the potential of making West Ham more attractive to other players. Secondly Harry could provide enough experience for West Ham to make the quality jump. If West Ham makes it to the Europa league thanks to Maguire then that's some serious cash injection for them. Finally the financial might make sense. First of all because Maguire is a big name for them and will generate interest + sponsors. Secondly its because he might accept a big signing on fee and a lesser salary. That would mean that West Ham can still afford the player without breaking their wage structure.

We need to start distinguishing again between Manchester United and the likes of West Ham, between a first teamer and a 4th choice player. On top of that we need to acknowledge that finances is everything. In our glory days we risked losing prime Roy Keane because his demands were slightly above what the wage structure allowed. These days its ok to have a 190k a week sitting on the bench and watching Yoro, Martinez and De Ligt play.

Is the 190k a week not before the 25% reduction due to not getting into the Champions League?

You will never make sense to people in here..

As said it earlier

We pay top dollar to get average and mediocre returns. Not against Maguire but the aspect of the club paying absolute top premium in salaries while what we get in return is top 4 in return is absolutely dogshit.

We pay players like Sancho, Maguire, Bruno, Rashford etc top dollar yet these chaps have never won anything of substance in their lives. Never been involved in any title challenges in their careers, never played in champions league semifinals but in more ways than one we dish out money to them as if they are football royalty.

De Gea, Varane, these are players who were on massive salaries, yet when they left United no big club touched them and they didn't receive the big salary they had few months prior to leaving. That's should show you, that it was massively a mistake 1st in paying the salary they got, 2nd they were not that good to warrant those hefty salaries.

Sickening really... Our RoI in players salary is shocking. We get absolutely nothing in return in paying 200k a week to these players.

The problem with fans is that they have zero clue of how football financials work. 190k a week is huge money. We're talking Van Dijk (220k), Saliba (190k) and Ruben Dias (180k) territory here ie more then the likes of Califiori (120k), Martinez (120k), Bremer (152k) and Bastoni (163k). You can't have a 4th choice CB on that salary. Not even Real (whose got 11 players on 190k+) can afford that and they had won 6 CLs in 10 years. We haven't even won a league title in 10 years.

Is the 190k a week not before the 25% reduction due to not getting into the Champions League?

I don't know that but it makes things worse if it does. That's because we'll have a 4th choice CB on already huge salary for a 4th choice CB who would get a salary bump whenever we make it to the CL.

Yeah and many other clauses most likely. People just don’t care. We obviously overpaid by about £40m in my mind but he’s not a bad player, he has made some calamity mistakes but generally is a decent enough player.

At the moment he's first choice not 4th and performances like last night are easily worth the £190k.

That’s ok if you’ve got 70m sitting around. We’ve invested heavily in centre backs with Martinez, De Ligt and Yoro, and probably need to turn our attention to other areas. No harm in retaining Maguire on reduced wages as back up while we do so.

If you look at the make up of our squad then it’s likely we’ll be going for back Branthwaite next summer to compete with Martinez. We’ll also look to bring in another midfielder to replace the likelihood of Eriksen, Casemiro and McTominay leaving in that time (provided one comes in this window).

Maguire won’t get a new deal unless it’s a one year contract like Evans.

At the moment he's first choice not 4th and performances like last night are easily worth the £190k.

He'll soon be 4th choice as there's no way we had invested so much money on De Ligt and Yoro to keep them as 4th choice. Also note that we played against Fulham not Real Madrid.

He'll soon be 4th choice as there's no way we had invested so much money on De Ligt and Yoro to keep them as 4th choice. Also note that we played against Fulham not Real Madrid.
If he ends up 4th choice on merit playing like he has in the last year then we'll be in good shape.

Even though it was only Fulham his partner struggled.

Continued his good form from last season...

Another strong, solid performance.

If he ends up 4th choice on merit playing like he has in the last year then we'll be in good shape.

Even though it was only Fulham his partner struggled.

Its not difficult to struggle against Adama Traore especially if the CB in question is 5ft10 and has to cover the spaces of a wingback who, while being an MOM contender, is an attacking wingback, he's still a new signing (thus not used to play in the EPL/with us) and is more comfortable playing as RB rather then LB. But that's tactical something that is out of the discussion's scope.

We all know that Martinez is the better player and we just spent more then 100m pounds on Yoro and De Ligt. There's no way that they aren't first team/2nd choice material. Thus Maguire will slot in the 3rd-4th choice role. There's no way INEOS will keep a 4th choice CB on 190k a week especially since that would mean us having to give him a new contract. At age 32 the risk of him declining are high

Everything is possible of course and INEOS aren't immune to the occasional knee jerk decision. For all we know Maguire might spend a whole season doing badly only to score the winning goal in the FA cup final. That can change everything. Jokes aside that's top tier salary for a defender.

Last edited:

Passing networks don’t actually show player positions!

This was the average player position:

0FTgklQ_d.webp

This was the Harry we signed for. Had my doubt early in the game but then he kept getting better.

Brighton 2:1 Man Utd New
When you play a player that's proven himself to not be of the standard required for 5 years you can't be shocked when he costs you

When you play a player that's proven himself to not be of the standard required for 5 years you can't be shocked when he costs you

Bang on. He should be nowhere near the club, never mind being part of the squad or starting xi.

This but hey he looks like baresi whenever we play the likes of Fulham

You lot are nuts. Martinez lost his man and you're blaming it on Maguire for not being able to reach it.

Could've done better for their goal but so could a few others. Otherwise solid. Martinez was no better and De Ligt had a couple of moments when he came on too

You lot are nuts. Martinez lost his man and you're blaming it on Maguire for not being able to reach it.

The initial cross is where Maguire messed up, instead of attacking the incoming ball he backed away allowing it to reach their man on the other side.

Rio mentioned it, was bad defending.

The initial cross is where Maguire messed up, instead of attacking the incoming ball he backed away allowing it to reach their man on the other side.

Rio mentioned it, was bad defending.
Ok. I missed that.

I find this incessant witch hunt of him tiring now though. He played well today. Made a crucial last ditch tackle one on one, on one of their counter attacks then gets subbed off. Martinez, who is a far better player for me was visibly worse.